What is wrong with today's parents that children are so disrespectful to them?

tweety 2010/07/13 22:24:36
Related Topics: parents
My kids would never think of cursing at me or being disrespectful to me. My oldest son flinches when he lets curse words out of his mouth in front of me. He also apologizes if I heard him.

• Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*) 2010/07/13 22:28:28
    Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*)
    +3
    I see that around and I wonder how kids feel they have the right to do that. I know I am only 16, but I never ever cuss infront of my parents. I try my hardest not to disrepsect my parents at all. I can't stand watching like my super sweet 16 and those snobby brats yell at their parents for not doing something for them

• lylamerican 2010/07/15 16:02:29
    lylamerican
    +2
    Parents have to work..there agenda is to make money so those disrespectful kids can have what they want to shut them up. My kids did not disrespect me i had a switch to the ankles. My daughter only once, my son maybe 3 times and then it was a threat.Kids fear nothing and that brings crime, hate and disrespcet. By most parents fee "i want them to have what I didn't" Well maybe some time with them is better than that Xbox , Cell phone fear brings crime hate disrespcet parents fee xbox cell phone
  • tweety lylamer... 2010/07/15 22:08:12
    tweety
    +1
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Paranormal♥Spirit 2010/07/14 14:53:21
    Paranormal♥Spirit
    Because most parents today don't discipline their children. It all depend on how you raised them.
  • TheJoker 2010/07/14 10:39:39
    TheJoker
    +2
    The children & parents are a product of our society. If society promotes the idea that the individual is king, as it does, then you end up with deeply selfish people. Parents too engrossed in their own lives to bring up their children properly. & children who just want, want, want...... because they believe they deserve it.
  • tweety TheJoker 2010/07/14 17:28:07
    tweety
    Amen!
  • Bob Pooba 2010/07/14 04:33:13
    Bob Pooba
    Mostly they have no idea what they are doing and because they feel it's ok and even desirable to treat kids as equals.
  • '-- Music Junkie ♥ 2010/07/14 03:24:47
    '--  Music Junkie ♥
    +2
    i think parents before punished their kids more and now parents are very liberal and that isnt good.. my little cousin slapped his mum and she didnt do anything.. if i slapped my mother i can forget about living
  • tweety '-- Mu... 2010/07/14 17:25:47
    tweety
    When and if you have children would you do as your mother or your cousins mum?
  • Kalamazoo 2010/07/14 02:58:17
    Kalamazoo
    +2
    I don't know, but I am thankful my children don't do it. I don't believe in hitting, but I might have to knock them into next Sunday, if that is what it took to get them to stop. I'll take on the judge with this one.
  • tweety Kalamazoo 2010/07/14 03:03:11
  • Simmering Frog 2010/07/14 00:51:49
    Simmering Frog
    +2

Because many parents today don't have a clue how to be parents.
  • Laja 2010/07/13 23:52:26
    Laja
    +1
    We have too many issues involved with parenting today. If you DARE spank your child for misbehaving somebody will call child welfare and the parent will be subject to investigation,

Then you have the parent who just wants to be a friend to their child. They think that if they punish their child the child will not like them anymore.

Being a good parent is not easy. None of us do it perfectly. When the hospital hands you this young life to teach and mold they do not give you an owner's manual. You have to wing it and do the best job you can.
  • tweety Laja 2010/07/13 23:57:23
    tweety
    Can'y argue this one.
  • joe59 2010/07/13 23:33:03 (edited)
    joe59
    +2
    A lot of kids not all of them, know you can't discipline them the way you want and they use it to their advantage, my mom would slap the taste out of my mouth if I said profanity as a kid or talked back and disrespected her, now days kids don't care because they are told by their schools, friends and other people to call the cops because it's a sign of violence if your parents do that.

I saw this all the time in San Diego when I lived there, some poor parent on eyewitness news being arrested and later they find out the kid fabricated the whole thing and then guess what? They bust the kid and who has to pay the ticket...the parents because the kid can't pay.

I'm all for spanking a kid if they deserve it.
  • tweety joe59 2010/07/13 23:49:51
    tweety
    +1
    I had the child abuse phone number on speed dial on our home phone. If one of them ever said that I'd hand them the phone and tell them to call cause I could do with a vacation away from them. I would also tell them that they'd get separated and put into foster homes. Worked every time.
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2010/07/13 23:11:53
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    Children give what they get. It is just as imprtant for parents to respect their children as it is for children to respect their parents. Respect is a two way street. Even the Bible says this.
  • walawala Isma'il... 2011/10/23 05:48:26
    walawala
    +2
    Quite true, but remember Proverbs 23:13 NLT
    Don’t fail to discipline your children. They won’t die if you spank them.
  • Domino 2010/07/13 22:58:18
    Domino
    +1
    my child knows I would give him such a smack across the face his nose will be on the other side---so he doesn't ---curse around me!!!
  • tweety Domino 2010/07/13 23:02:02
    tweety
    I'm with you, depending on their ages.
    +2
    an example some of the gross comments and post adults put here...children do as they see,not as their told
  • tweety Sister ... 2010/07/13 22:55:26
    tweety
    +1
    So very true. true
  • Cal 2010/07/13 22:37:41
    Cal
    +1
    Parents today have been 'brainwashed' to never hit their children as a form of teaching discipline.
  • tweety Cal 2010/07/13 22:44:16
    tweety
    +1
    Pretty sad state of affairs when a tap on a diapered bottom becomes illegal or a slap on their hand for touching some thing that could hurt them. I can't believe that people have interpreted the laws to protect children from abuse. Correcting a child is not abuse it's showing love, it keeps them safe.
  • Cal tweety 2010/07/13 22:49:47
    Cal
    I totally agree with you, Tweety!!! To bad more parents don't see it that way...
  • they call me hippie woman lol 2010/07/13 22:34:37
    they call me hippie woman lol
    +1
    it seems like with each new generation kids are becoming more rebelious and disrespectful. i used to always be told that your kids will behave twice as bad as their parents acted while younger. i was pretty rebelious and im scared witless about when they get older. my son is almost 2 and tells me no all the time. he gets punished everytime. unless of course i ask him if he is hungry or something like that. but when i tell him to do something like pick up his toys or come over to me so i can change his diaper or put him to bed he tells me no.
  • tweety they ca... 2010/07/13 22:41:07
    tweety
    Better stop that behavior now or you will be sorry. My friend has a 2-1/2 yr. old. and puts him in time out when he starts that nonsense. There is a special chair in the hallway where he can't see anyone. It seems to be working, thank goodness.
  • they ca... tweety 2010/07/13 22:45:57
    they call me hippie woman lol
    we are he gets punished everytime and we even started time out.
    Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*)
    +3
  • tweety Amber V... 2010/07/13 22:32:40
    tweety
    +1
    Good for you! That's great. I would never curse in front of my parents ever.
  • Amber V... tweety 2010/07/13 22:34:23
    Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*)
    +1
    I try to avoid using cuss words in general, but sometimes they are really hard to hold back
  • they ca... Amber V... 2010/07/13 22:35:42
    they call me hippie woman lol
    +1
    well that is good. more teens and younger kids need to be like that.
  • Amber V... they ca... 2010/07/13 22:39:45
    Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*)
    I know. My cousins daughter is a spoiled brat and thief. I can't stand how my cousin raised her
  • SimplyS... Amber V... 2010/07/13 22:36:07
    SimplyShannon
    +1
    I would never ever cuss at my parents. I have let words slip in front of my mom when I'm really mad about school or someone being unfair to me, but she understands and forgives.
    I do get really mad and yell at my parents sometimes. I don't know how i do it because I love them both, but I cant stop it either.
  • Amber V... SimplyS... 2010/07/13 22:39:18
    Amber V. (Bunny's *Kitten*)
    In the heat of a fight I can understand that. I do it sometimes too more for the fact that I try to give my mom alot of respect and she barely gives me any respect. As long as your parents understand and forgive you I think it is all good
  • SimplyShannon 2010/07/13 22:26:09 (edited)
    SimplyShannon
    +2
    they aren't disciplined and know they can get away with it.
  • they ca... SimplyS... 2010/07/13 22:37:50
    they call me hippie woman lol
    true some of them arent disiplined but as long as the parents stick with it they will eventually. my son tells me no all the time. he is almost two but he still gets punished. and when we say he will get in trouble if he doesnt listen we still punish just like we said we did. it gets so exhausting though. but we still do it. eventually he will learn to listen to us.
  • SimplyS... they ca... 2010/07/13 22:40:36
    SimplyShannon
    I'm sure he will because you sound like a loving parent who displines your child. I have never really been punished how I should be. I get my phone taken away for the same thing every week and it doesn't work. I try to change but it doesn't help. :/

2014/08/02 00:27:52