What Is the Most Important Thing You Insure?

Signing up for insurance can be a pain the neck, but without it you could end up footing a bill you can't afford. Health insurance has taken a prominent spot in politics lately as the government attempts to get basic coverage for more people, but good coverage will never be completely free, and selecting a plan that's understandable and affordable can still be a chore. Let us know your thoughts on insurance with this six-question Quick Poll. We'd love to hear from you!

Brought to you by 2insure4less.

• Carson 2012/07/12 07:03:10
    My property
    Carson
    Thank goodness for socialized health care.
  • Marie Carson 2012/07/12 15:12:52
  • Carson Marie 2012/07/14 21:11:51
    Carson
    +1
    Im in Canada. I agree with your statement though.
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/07/12 06:33:26
  • Eliot Loney 2012/07/12 05:58:45
    My life
    Eliot Loney
    +1
    Not my life but life insurance for my wife and kids.
  • djdragonfire 2012/07/12 05:53:15
    My property
    djdragonfire
    Seeing as I'm 19 and don't have a family yet, property. Namely my instruments. My flute alone cost 5 grand, piccolo: 4k, marching piccolo: 500, old student clarinet: 200, and looking into a violin.

Why am I such a music nerd? Oh yeah, because music is awesome.

And my car, because I like driving places.
  • eyeballz 2012/07/12 05:49:40
    My family's health
    eyeballz
    +1
    My children.
  • Vinny 2012/07/12 05:15:21
    My life
    Vinny
    +2
    So when I do die my kids will be left with a healthy amount of cash each!!
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/07/12 05:12:50
    My family's health
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2012/07/12 05:06:42
    My family's health
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +1
    My family is the most important thing to me, so I'd say that insuring their health is more important than my own (though we're all on a single family policy). If I die, my family will be well taken care of because I also insure my life with about 10 years worth of my salary.
  • Eddie 2012/07/12 04:30:03
    My property
    Eddie
    +1
    Up to now it's been my home. But today I was informed that Allstate ,the Good Hands in your pocket People, no longer want to insure my home because I don't have a credit score. Not because I have a bad credit score mind you. Because I don't. But because I don't have any credit score. And because I don't have any debt. Apparently living within your means and not buying things you don't already have the money for makes you a bad American. Why is it again I'm supposed to be proud to be an American.
  • Carson Eddie 2012/07/12 07:04:31
    Carson
    I asked my father to explain that to me. He tried to explain it to me but it made no sense.
  • BAMCIS Eddie 2012/07/12 09:21:16
    BAMCIS
    if you've never had to take out a loan, lease a place, rent anything, own a cell phone, or open up any utilities for a home in your name then you haven't been living within your means, you've had everything given to you. You know you could always do what most intelligent fiscally responsible people do and look for no interest loans from places. it helps build credit, costs you nothing more, and you can always have the money to pay it off in savings if you choose. for instance I just got a 36 months no interest loan for a 1600 tv at best buy, I had the money in cash for it but decided to do it this way as it builds credit, then when I go to buy a home my down payment can be less and my interest rate as well as it shows I have excellent credit worthiness. And I won't get denied insurance coverage.

almost anything that requires a monthly contract for continual payments does a credit check before offering their services. Why is all-state the only company that seems to have a problem with you not having a score... Surely your internet/cable provider, cell phone company, water company etc. would care too?
  • dustcircle 2012/07/12 04:05:56
    My property
    dustcircle
    +1
    The only thing I pay for insurance for is what I HAVE to: the truck.
  • Sage dustcircle 2012/07/12 14:23:19
    Sage
    +2
    So you are counting on the rest of us who will HAVE to pay for you if you get injured or sick. Thanks a bunch.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/07/12 04:01:57
    My family's health
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    The most important is my husband's health but the hardest to insure is my house. I live in Florida and it's always a challenge. We've been cancelled by two companies who quit writing policies in Florida. We have a higher deductible for hurricanes and we no longer have regular sinkhole coverage, only catastrophic. I live in about the highest point in Florida.
  • s2k Gracie ... 2012/07/12 14:28:37
    s2k
    You can thank former Gov Crist for that. He ran the private insurers out of there because they were no longer willing to lose money in Fla and make it up in other states.
  • Thunderwalker 2012/07/12 03:45:53
    My life
    Thunderwalker
    +1
    Life insurance is last? You all are out of your minds. I am a single point of failure, and the end of my life is something that I will reach whether I want it to or not.
  • being me 2012/07/12 03:44:56
    My life
    being me
    +2
    For my kids
  • Farbiger 2012/07/12 03:38:56
    My life
    Farbiger
    Damn you astigmatism!!!! You made me focus on the wrong thing!!! Whatever, my health because without it, I would have no life which in turn would leave me with no property and my family.
  • cddjmikey 2012/07/12 03:35:49
    My health
    cddjmikey
    Without it you got nothin'
  • T Bevan 2012/07/12 03:27:48
    My life
    T Bevan
    +1
    My family is the most important thing to me....

This is so they can get along without me....

rest in peace
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/07/12 03:20:19
    My health
    MOMMA THOMAS
    WITHOUT GOOD HEALTH, CAN'T TAKE CARE OF THE REST OF THE LIST.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/07/12 03:06:35
    My health
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    what's with the sudden outbreak of insurance questions?
  • sandra.hemmes 2012/07/12 02:57:07
    My life
    sandra.hemmes
    +1
    For me to be selfish and insure my own life, then I can help my family to keep them safe and healthy. I come first, then my children and family. If I don't take care of me, all the rest goes by the wayside. I learned this as a mom of 7 children.
  • tristarr 2012/07/12 02:43:06
    My health
    tristarr
    i would also have to say my pup.
    My property
    Truth is you cannot insure anything which is important. Simply because anything important cannot be replaced with money and if you suffer a loss all the insurance company can offer is money....that figment of human imagination.

Friends who have been less fortunate suggest I don't value money because I have an abundant supply. Perhaps they are right ... but I would sacrifice my money before I would give up their friendship. Money is a useful tool but it is not and will never be a good reason to live or worth sacrificing a life to obtain.

So I carry insurance on property because that is just another form of money...and should it be damaged, the insurance can replace it. When I was younger, I carried life insurance because my wife and children depended on my income. If something happened to me, I did not want them to suffer financial loss as well.

As for health insurance...that isn't really insurance at all...it is a prepayment plan. If I could get the same terms and prices for treatment that my insurance company gets, I would self insure. Since I will never need most of the treatments. negotiating the esoteric terms for each possible treatment is impossibly time consuming which eliminates self insurance as a cost effective option. Most people are not aware that ...

As for health insurance...that isn't really insurance at all...it is a prepayment plan. If I could get the same terms and prices for treatment that my insurance company gets, I would self insure. Since I will never need most of the treatments. negotiating the esoteric terms for each possible treatment is impossibly time consuming which eliminates self insurance as a cost effective option. Most people are not aware that the cost for most medical services is 5 times higher if the fee isn't negotiated until you need the service. What really irritates me, however, is that all of us who buy insurance help pay for those who do not because part of the premium goes to pay the costs of those who are uninsured. The new law requires everyone to either buy insurance or pay a tax so hopefully this part of our premiums will decline.
  • Happy21... Ken 2012/07/12 03:17:48
    Happy212121
    One should never "brag" about having lots of money. If for no other reason, it shouldn't be done simply b/c rich people don't usually go around spouting off about how they have an "abundance" of money to thousands of complete strangers. It tends to make you seem as either you are a liar or worse, "new money".
  • Ken Happy21... 2012/07/12 04:48:17
    The objective of my post was not to "brag" about the money I have. The objective was to describe what was important in life. I learned what was important in life from my parents and money wasn't on the list. I never meant to suggest I have lots of money. I don't have a lots of money but I have more than I need...perhaps because my needs are simple. I have indeed earned all of the money I have and so it is "new money" but it hardly even classifies as money in the sense you are using the term. My parents worked hard for my education and that of my 5 brothers and sisters. Their investment has paid off handsomely granting each of us a wonderful life. When my mother passes, hopefully in the distant future, my financial situation will not change. My kids who will receive her estate will presumably use it to educate my grandchildren.

Because I have more money than I need, I am generous with worthy causes. Or is it the other way around and I have more money than I need because I am generous with worthy causes? I don't know because giving generously to those less fortunate was part of my education. It is my goal to be a good steward of the gifts I have been given and should there be any left over when I am gone, I hope my children and/or grandchildren will do so to. I dream of the day when my son and daughter ask me to rewrite my will leaving the inheritance to their children rather than them.
  • Happy21... Ken 2012/07/12 20:59:03
    Happy212121
    I will take you at your word as I have no reason not to do so. So please accept my apologies Ken. I read too much into a few sentences of your first post. As for the other information you shared. Well done! Your parents seem to have done a phenomenal job. Putting one child through college is no small feat to say nothing of doing so for six of them. I have three children myself (2, 3 and 13) and I completely understand the sacrifices one must make in order to do right by one's offspring. I find inspiration in your parent's story. I hope I may remember them in the coming years whenever I feel overwhelmed. Thank you for sharing. I genuinely hope you realize that day you dream of. If your parents have taught you as well as it seems that I have no doubt your children have been taught just as well or better. I am sure your children will indeed make just as proud as you have your own Mother and Father. Although I do wish you wouldn't say aloud that you are "new money". I prefer the "old money" be left guessing, it pisses them off. ;) Again, my apologies and thank you for sharing!
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/07/12 02:22:58
    My life
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    +2
    ....Well....I dunno. I'm 17. I'm not worrying about this XD
  • mac9 2012/07/12 02:16:54
    My life
    mac9
    For the benefit of my family.
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/12 01:37:44
  • Dana 2012/07/12 01:27:41
    My family's health
    Dana
    +1
    My families health care, I am denied. So I have life insurance for me, so at least the kids will have something, not lose the house, etc etc
  • jc 2012/07/12 01:17:32
    My health
    jc
    I am in business for myself,in a physically demanding trade.I have to have decent health insurance.And I don't mean Odumbocare either.
  • Ant jc 2012/07/12 01:44:49
    Ant
    I bet you would appreciate Obamacare if you had a preexisting medical condition that made it impossible to get healthcare coverage. Think about somebody other than just yourself for a change.
  • Gracie ... Ant 2012/07/12 04:04:53
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Why does everybody think that making it available will make it affordable? If you get group insurance it will cover pre-existing conditions, that's a better option.
  • jc Ant 2012/07/13 01:58:52
    jc
    I don't care for anyone who waits for handouts.I work hard to provide for myself.I should have the choice to pay for an insurance that allows me to see the doctor of my choice.I don't need a wannabe socialist dictator(Odumbo) telling me I have to see the witch doctor of his choice.After all,when Odumbo is sick,I'm sure he gets the best care.
  • onetirednurse 2012/07/12 01:16:34
    My family's health
    onetirednurse
    I have all the above insured. But I also have my hands insured. Since I'm a trauma surgical nurse and RNFA (I assist surgeons in traumas), if anything happens to my hands I can't work.
  • Happy21... onetire... 2012/07/12 03:44:49
    Happy212121
    May I ask who COULD work without their hands? Btw onetirednurse, I didn't quite catch what you do for a living...NURSE was it?

2014/10/01 18:21:13