What is the difference between Transgender and Transexual?

luvdougie 2012/01/05 23:51:12
Related Topics: Transgender, SodaHead
I've heard so many different explanations I just don't know what to believe. And rather than looking it up myself.....I'm asking YOU sodahead. :D

• Joanie 2012/01/06 00:32:03
    Joanie
    +3
    A "transsexual", of which I am one, is a person born with the mind of one sex and the body of the other sex. A person born with a female mind and a male body is called a male-to-female transsexual. A person born with a male mind and a female body is called a female-to-male transsexual. This dichotomy between the sex of the mind and body creates a condition known as gender dysphoria. Depending on the level of gender dysphoria, the medical profession treats transsexual by altering his or her body to match his or her mind through hormone therapy, surgery, and other less intrusive medical procedures. The term "transgender" includes transsexuals, but it also includes other types of people including people who are gender queer, cross-dressers, and drag queens and kings. Cross-dressers and drag queens and kings are generally comfortable with the sex of their bodies, but cross gender boundaries for other reasons. Many gender queer people do not feel comfortable with the concept of a binary gender system at all and make their own identity

• Baybie Alyssa 2012/12/28 21:49:10
    Baybie Alyssa
    Transgender is someone who lives outside of the norm of their gender identity.

Transsexual is someone who was born with a brain-body mismatch, a congenital birth defect.

Not all Transgenders are transsexual.

Not all Transsexuals are transgender / LGBT.
  • Thomas Rea: Gay Christian A... 2012/04/30 16:30:59
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    Transgender and Transexual is the same thing
  • hilda DJ 2012/04/17 13:54:57
    hilda DJ
    There are three main classes of people that do not conform to their birth gender.

1) Gender Nonconformity - Ex. (sissy / nelly [historically fairy] ) (tomboy / butch) depending on sexual orientation

People who innately identify with their birth sex but frequently behave in a manner that is usually associated almost exclusively with the opposite sex. This behavior is probably innate.

2) Gender Ambiguity (transgender) - Ex. many cross-dressers, bi-gender, gender queer, drag queen, drag king, androgyn, transgenderist (derogatorily known as she-male for a person who lives as a women with a male sex organ that uses it sexually or he-she for the opposite, a person who lives as a man with a female sex organ that uses it sexually)

People who do not identify with either sex consistantly and exclusively.

Note: Many people mistakenly use the term "he-she" for male to female transgenderists and transsexuals.

3) Opposite Birth Sex Gender Conformity (transsexualism) -

A person who thinks, feels and acts (if safe to do so) like a member of the opposite birth sex, especially psychosexually.

Note:Transsexuals will usually seek sex reassignment surgery if they can afford it, are in physical condition to undergo the operation, can legally obtain the surgery in the country of residence or...

Note:Transsexuals will usually seek sex reassignment surgery if they can afford it, are in physical condition to undergo the operation, can legally obtain the surgery in the country of residence or are able to leave that country.
    Source(s):
    I am a transsexual who has had to read so much about transgender and gender non conforming people because I keep getting misplaced in the same catagory as gender ambigous people. Check this http://www.dateats.com/
  • luvdougie hilda DJ 2012/04/24 23:09:08
    luvdougie
    this helped a bit. :) thanks.
  • Claise 2012/02/06 09:12:46
    Claise
    A transexual really goes for becoming the other sex, and strives for the physical attributes of the other sex. Transgender is a much wider concept. For instance, as a boy you can feel youre like a girl, but you dont feel the need to completely look like or become a girl. So it also deals with feelings. So a transexual is a specific type of transgender, but not all transgenders are transexual.
  • NatAlex23 2012/01/22 01:13:56
    NatAlex23
    Transgender is an umbrella term encompassing any person who has some sort of gender variance. A transsexual is a specific subset that refers to someone who plans on or already has gotten a sex change.
  • JGF 2012/01/06 04:37:33
    JGF
    +1
    transgender can apply to anything from crossdressing to sex change. Transexual usually refers to someone who's had, or in the process of, a sex change.
  • Kaimeso 2012/01/06 01:00:11
    Kaimeso
    Spelling,..
  • luvdougie Kaimeso 2012/01/06 01:11:33
  • Kaimeso luvdougie 2012/01/06 01:17:06
    Kaimeso
    +1
    No, not a typo,... just the difference between the two is only the spelling (and the lame labels in some peoples mind).
  • luvdougie Kaimeso 2012/01/06 01:28:00
    luvdougie
    oh, haha. okay I get you. I like your opinion on the subject.
    Sorry if I came off as rude. There were just some people that answered that really pushed my buttons. :)
  • Joanie 2012/01/06 00:32:03
    Joanie
    +3
  • luvdougie Joanie 2012/01/06 00:41:51
    luvdougie
    +1
    thank you soooooo much. finally someone who knows what they are talking about. if i could rave you more than once I would.
  • Joanie luvdougie 2012/01/06 00:45:04
    Joanie
    +1
    You are quite welcome. I am a post-operative male-to-female transsexual.
  • luvdougie Joanie 2012/01/06 01:14:59
    luvdougie
    +1
    I don't have a clue what I am. I feel like I should be a guy, but I'm not gonna do anything about it because I like boys and girls. it would just be a hassle. I really really admire you though. I could never go through with a sex change, I'd be too afraid of what everyone would think.
  • Joanie luvdougie 2012/01/06 01:23:46
    Joanie
    +1
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • luvdougie Joanie 2012/01/06 01:30:40
  • luvdougie 2012/01/06 00:28:42
  • ♥K14 luvdougie 2012/01/11 17:40:50
    ♥K14
    haha - Glad I made an impression :)
  • luvdougie ♥K14 2012/01/13 00:50:46
    luvdougie
    where the hell is a dislike button when you need one.
  • ♥K14 luvdougie 2012/01/13 16:53:00
    ♥K14
    lol - I've often wondered that...
  • randy 2012/01/06 00:06:25
    randy
    Transgender is a fake word. No amount of hormones or surgery can change an X chromosome to a Y or vice versa. Nor a testicle into an ovary, or vice versa. Nor wide hips/narrow shoulder to the other way around. Nor can it change the fact that the female genitalia has about 8000 nerve endings, while the male has about 4000.
    The fact of the matter is that is isn't transgender at all, but rather an extreme form of body modification.
    Hope that helps.
  • Joanie randy 2012/01/06 00:22:21
    Joanie
    Your comments do not help at all, but appear to be based on prejudice and a lack of knowledge. Have you ever met a transsexual?
  • randy Joanie 2012/01/06 00:29:34
    randy
    Not prejudice but science and fact. Please re-read it and point out any prejudice or anything that is not true. And I will gladly re-check my facts. I think you will find it all in order and perhaps you have a lack of knowledge that makes you just believe anything you are told.
    Non existent, so no I have never met one. I have met some who thought they were, however,
  • Joanie randy 2012/01/06 00:44:04
    Joanie
    +1
    There is a lot more to gender than chromosomes or testicles or ovaries. Your posting is simply a bigoted and prejudiced denial of the reality of the lives of other people.
  • randy Joanie 2012/01/06 00:48:46 (edited)
    randy
    Again, you are accusing me of being prejudiced and bigoted and again, I want you to show me something specific. You are, of course unable to do so, because it doesn't exist.
    There is also nothing in my posts that is NOT based upon reality. Please use reason and not emotion and actually read what I wrote before making false accusations.....
    I will not apologize for saying something you aren't willing to accept, but don't make things up about me because you dislike what I say.
  • Joanie randy 2012/01/06 01:24:27
    Joanie
    I read your postings very carefully, and I stand by my comments about them.
  • randy Joanie 2012/01/06 01:34:23 (edited)
    randy
    Yet you won't back it up?
    You can't quote anything prejudiced or bigoted, but call me those things anyway?
    How can you call me those things without backing it up?
    Just feel like it?
    You sound as though you are running for office!
  • Joanie randy 2012/01/06 01:38:58
    Joanie
    It's obvious to any objective person reading your posting that you are not at all interested in learning about the transgender experience, but rather you are grinding an axe to try to make some kind of conservative or religious point, and I don't see the point of "debating" with you. Frankly, you have committed the cardinal sin of being boring.
  • randy Joanie 2012/01/06 02:24:32
    randy
    And you of evading the issue and making false accusations. You are more boring by continuing to do so while going in circles rather than answering anything. I will not continue discussing with someone who does nothing but name call and REFUSES to give one iota of evidence to back it up.
  • Joanie randy 2012/01/06 02:27:01
    Joanie
    :-)
  • ♥K14 2012/01/05 23:52:41
    ♥K14
    +1
    Think: what is the difference between 'Gender' and 'Sex'...
  • luvdougie ♥K14 2012/01/05 23:56:17
    luvdougie
    that still doesn't answer my question.
  • ♥K14 luvdougie 2012/01/05 23:57:01
    ♥K14
    It does if you know the definitions.
  • luvdougie ♥K14 2012/01/06 00:03:40
  • ♥K14 luvdougie 2012/01/06 00:06:54
    ♥K14
    I jsut assumed it was common knowledge, since I learnt it at primary school.
    Sex = Physically male/female.
    Gender = Mentally.
  • luvdougie ♥K14 2012/01/06 00:15:19
  • ♥K14 luvdougie 2012/01/06 00:32:34
  • luvdougie ♥K14 2012/01/06 01:09:25
  • ♥K14 luvdougie 2012/01/06 14:00:48
    ♥K14
    Just like a fridge :)

2014/07/30 21:16:39