What is it that compels people to do the same stupid things over and over again?

Related Topics: Time, Style
They hope that the result will be different this time.
Ignorance and forgetfullness play a huge part in their decisions.
They will repeat their mistakes as many times as necessary for them to learn.
Determination to make things different by focusing on the variables, rather than the constants.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."

• Isabel-Publius 2010/03/06 13:42:08
  • cassidysf 2010/03/04 23:37:24
    cassidysf
    +1
    it is either one of the other anwers or it is because they are stupid.
  • jenlduu 2010/03/04 23:15:53
    jenlduu
    +1
    They say that the true meaning of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2010/03/04 22:18:09
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    +1
    I dont know...It takes many times for me to learn my lesson in some cases.
    Why are you asking these types of questions...are you hurt or something?
  • Dark De... ♥ Emily... 2010/03/04 22:58:43
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +2
    Nope, just paying attention to other people and their behaviour. :o)
  • ♥ Emily... Dark De... 2010/03/04 23:02:44
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    +1
    lol...people act very strange on here. =)
  • Rashel 2010/03/04 17:08:09
    Rashel
    +1
    And stupidity!!!
  • Captain Sticky 2010/03/04 15:05:09
    Determination to make things different by focusing on the variables, rather t...
    Captain Sticky
    +2
    Folks are arrogant enough to think they can turn stupid into success.
  • chey&chris 2010/03/04 15:01:41
    chey&chris
    +1
    i believe that when you try things over and over again youll eventually have a successful outcome
    +1
    Kinda like the Shroud of Turin..... everyone KNOWS it's fake, but they keep retesting and retesting... GIVE IT UP ALREADY!
  • Patti The Yes Fan 2010/03/04 14:35:48
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +2
    I dont know but stupid should hurt. As in physical pain of some sort. Watch how fast stupid would end.
  • jenlduu Patti ... 2010/03/04 23:19:20
    jenlduu
    +2
    So right Patti . Stupid does hurt but in most cases not enough to do something to stop the pain. Change is hard so many are to lazy to invest in it..
  • Patti ... jenlduu 2010/03/04 23:51:14
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    I know. I think technology has had something to do with it. Seems generation upon generation has become more and more lazy. My kids were born into the CD era. I had eight tracks. LOL And cassettes and albums. Little 45's. And we also had black and white TV. They dont have a clue as to what hard labor or imagination means. Too bad really cause their missing out on living.
  • jenlduu Patti ... 2010/03/07 20:13:47
    jenlduu
    +2
    Yes my husband and I discuss the fact that when we were kids we had black and white TV but only the grown ups could watch it and no kids programs on at all. We use to go on trips and sing and talk to each other. Now my grand kids don't look out the window and enjoy the view because they are too busy watching a vi doe or playing on hand held video games. No many of our kids cannot deal with boredom.
  • Patti ... jenlduu 2010/03/07 23:49:21
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +2
    I know. My 11 yr old grandson wants a cell phone next Christmas. I couldnt help but laugh. LOL. There are so many electronic gadgets now, I have no clue all that is out there now.
  • steve_lax_man 2010/03/04 13:56:38
    steve_lax_man
    +2
    history repeats itself
  • twothunders 2010/03/04 13:19:32
    twothunders
    +2
    and all of the above. We are creatures of habit that have a strange need for consistancy. The result may not always be what we want but we are familiar with it and know what to expect. But we cannot discredit hope.
  • Alien Ramone 2010/03/04 09:23:56
    Alien Ramone
    +2
    How many times do people need to be manipulated into supporting wars before they catch on?

How many times does the government need to take away civil liberties for the illusion of security before people figure out what the real agenda is.

How many times does a politician that the people support need to lie to them before they catch on?

How many times is the government going to use the same method of borrowing and spending to fix a problem that was caused by borrowing and spending?

How many times does the government need to use bailout and stimulus money to help the big banks, before the people realize that many in the government are owned by the big banks?

How many times do the mainstream Republicans and Democrats in the government need to advance the central bank agenda before Americans realize that they need to vote a candidate into the Presidency who is calling for an end to the Federal Reserve, an end to the wars, and a repeal of the Patriot Act.
  • jenlduu Alien R... 2010/03/04 23:21:52
    jenlduu
    +2
    You don't need to promote your political agenda here on this blog. You are Off Question. Many of us come to blogs like this to get away form politics. Give us a break would you.
  • Dark De... jenlduu 2010/03/04 23:24:48
    +1
    To be fair, my question was an open and general one aimed at pretty much anyone's opinions and as he chose this subject, that was his choice and I respect it. :o)
  • Alien R... jenlduu 2010/03/04 23:53:25
    Alien Ramone
    +2
    What I wrote was the first thing that I thought of when I read the question, because I'm seeing a pattern happening where many on both sides of the political spectrum are supporting exactly what they were against when it was done by a leader from a political party that they didn't support. I don't know how many times both sides are going to do this and expect a different outcome.
  • jenlduu Alien R... 2010/03/07 20:20:21
    jenlduu
    +2
    Oh yes, sorry I re-read you remark and it does apply to the question on this poll. I have to agree with all the points you made on people repeating the same thing over and over. Seems like it certainly apply to politics and politicians in general. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva 2010/03/04 09:02:16
    ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva
    +1
    I think by not consciously thinking about what it is that they're repeating, and why. If they never examine thei patterns an motions, never question whether their might be a better, more efficient path then nothing ever changes.
  • MoreCoffeePls 2010/03/04 08:59:43
    MoreCoffeePls
    +1
    Short term memory.
  • crotchrot 2010/03/04 08:36:40
  • God-Cilla (Saviour to the M... 2010/03/04 08:29:37
    God-Cilla (Saviour to the Masses)
    +4
    People are creatures of habit. :S
  • Dark De... God-Cil... 2010/03/04 08:30:26
    +3
    That was nearly one of my answer options. lol. :o)
  • God-Cil... Dark De... 2010/03/04 08:34:49
    God-Cilla (Saviour to the Masses)
    +2
    Haha, that's great! XD

2014/12/21 12:50:50