What does the Bible say about suicide? How does God view it

8mariedawn6 2012/03/09 09:18:21

SLIDESHOW: What does the Bible say about suicide? H

1 of 6

"Do not be a fool--why die before your time?" (Ecclesiastes 7:17b)

Almost everyone would agree that life is the most precious gift that human beings have been given. Just the chance to be alive on this earth and play a part in the grand scheme of God's eternal plan is a privilege indeed. Yet, despite this, there are times when life becomes so difficult or unbearable that many have, at one time or another, wished they were dead or had never been born. For some, these feelings linger--and if they linger long enough, suicide seems to be the only escape. In fact, in the United States (and stats are similar in countries around the world) the suicide rate has tripled among teen and young adults in the past 40 years.

What does the Bible say about suicide? How does God view it? Do all those who kill themselves go to Hell?

Very few would argue with the fact that suicide is a direct breaking of the Sixth Commandment which is, "You shall not murder." We are not to murder each other or ourselves. God created human beings in His image and each of us carries within us the potential to overcome the evil in this world, and to rule and reign with Christ in heavenly places. If we are Christians, we no longer belong to ourselves, but to God. We are overseers of our bodies and our lives (which belong to Him), and we are responsible to guard that which has been entrusted to us.

Suicide is a grievous sin that seriously hurts both the heart of God, and those who loved the deceased. The pain of losing a loved one who took their own life is not easily healed, and often isn't fully healed until Heaven. Whether you are contemplating suicide or know someone who killed themselves, God wants you to know there is hope and life for you. He is the great Healer and Restorer of what has been lost or stolen.

Many of the greatest saints and heroes of the Bible faced overwhelming depression and sometimes wrote that they wished they had never even been born. King David, (Psalm 13:2-4), the prophet Jeremiah, (Jeremiah 20:14-18), and Job, (Job 7:15-16) among others, all reached low points where they despaired of their very lives.

Job says, "So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life. I loathe it; I would not live alway: let me alone; for my days are vanity" (Job 7:15-16).

Yet, each one of these men were blessed of God, and persevered through their trials as an example to us. Though they faced great suffering and injustice, they kept their faith in God and His goodness, and in so doing, were sustained and led into abundant life.

Though we may get depressed from time to time, we believe that the act of suicide never takes place apart from demonic influences driving one to take their own life. Suicide is directly counter to the power of life that God has put so strongly into His creation. Everywhere we look we see life growing, even in the most hostile environments. This "survival instinct" is a gift from God. In fact, if He didn't bestow this gift upon His creation there probably wouldn't be any life on this planet at all! Suicide, then, is directly contrary to the will of God, and originated in the realm of the demonic host, who come only to "steal, and to kill, and to destroy" (John 10:10). Though demons may try to tempt us to kill ourselves, as Christians we have power over the devil and he cannot push us to do this if we sincerely call on the name of the Lord!

We are all in a spiritual battle. The problem is, many of us are not aware of it, and do not know how to protect ourselves against attack.

Do all those who kill themselves go to Hell?

Some people believe that all who commit suicide go immediately to Hell. However, the Bible never says if this is the case. The Bible is silent on this issue. God probably did not address it in black in white for a good reason. If we knew that we would still go to Heaven if we killed ourselves, there would probably be a lot more suicides taking place than there already are. However, if we knew that all who killed themselves were automatically banished to Hell, no matter what their situation, it may be too much for the grief-stricken family and friends to bear. Murder and suicide are not unpardonable sins. The only unforgivable sins are rejecting Christ (Mark 16:16) and blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

(Mark 3:28-29 KJV) Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

All other sins can be forgiven. However, anyone contemplating suicide may be in danger of going to Hell, as their relationship with the Lord is not intact at that point. Those who would consider suicide may have a severed relationship with Christ and therefore they would enter the real Hell--which is worse than the hellish feelings they are experiencing at the moment.

It is so important to remember that God judges each of us individually, weighing all the factors of our lives, our beliefs and our motives. Each one of us is so intricate and complex, only God could really judge us in total truth, wisdom, and without favoritism. The most important truth of all, is that each one of us will stand before His throne and give account of our lives. If we lived intimately with this sobering truth, much of the sin in the church and the world, would immediately be stopped.

If you are contemplating suicide and are relying on God's grace to get you to heaven, PLEASE stop for a moment....God's grace never means that we have a free license to sin! Those who willfully sin after knowing God's grace, are in far greater danger than those who know less. Though you may feel that God is far from you right now, He is much nearer than you think. He may even be speaking to you through these words! Please open your ears and hear Him tell you how valuable your life is. You are needed on this earth and the purpose for your life has not yet been fulfilled. God loves you, and so do many people around you! God would not be God if He could not work this situation (no matter how unbearable it may seem) for His glory and for the good in your own life.

Depression is often anger, and a host of other emotions that have turned inward and become frozen. If you are carrying anger, resentment, bitterness, unforgiveness, frustration, jealousy, despair, worthlessness, hopelessness, fearfulness, vengeance and/or self-pity in your heart, you can turn these things over to God and begin to receive your healing right now, in faith. If you don't know how to let them go, confess it to God and ask for His help in releasing it to Him. No one can overcome these things by themselves. We all need the power of God to set us free from sinful and hopeless ways of thinking. That is why the Bible tells us that we must be "transformed, by the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2)." The Holy Spirit is the only One who can help us break free and be healed of these deadly emotions.

Just as ailments in our physical body need to be treated with medicine to be healed, the same is true of our emotions. One powerful way to fight against depression, is to apply and confess God's Word as a healing balm to the places where you have been wounded. For instance, if you have unforgiveness in your heart, begin to confess God's verses for love and forgiveness, even if they don't exactly feel true right at the moment. If you feel worthless, confess the Scriptures of God's great love for you. A rote, mechanical repeating of words may not do much, but if you deliberately take these living words and hold on to them for dear life, you will have the enemy on the run. The devil simply cannot stand against the Word of God spoken in faith. God's Words are like spiritual antibiotics, destroying every germ and unclean thing in their path.

In closing, we would like to pray with you here. We have written a prayer below, and we encourage you to not only read it, but to say it out loud!

PRAYER TO GOD

"Father, in the name of Jesus, I come before You, confessing my need for You, and crying out to you from the bottom of my heart. Lord, You've said that you are near to those whose hearts are breaking and that you give grace to the humble. I humble myself before you now...I cast down any pride or self-justification that I would hide behind, and I present myself to you as I truly am--weak and helpless and despairing of my very life. I know there is no other Rock but You, and I turn to You with all of my heart. Father, please forgive my sin! I open myself up to receive Your cleansing, Your healing, Your forgiveness, and Your faith, hope and love into my being. I receive your love as a river, washing over the dry wasteland of my emotions. I see that in Your river there is life, and that every place your river touches in me is revived. I cast all my cares, my sorrows, my disappointments into that river and I let the current of Your spirit carry them far away. I believe You, when You say that You think good thoughts about me, and that Your plans are to give me a future and a hope. I believe You when You say that You knew who I was even before my mother conceived me--and that You wanted me to be alive on the earth right now. Thank you for giving me life! Thank you for working all things in my life for good! Thank you that I can call on your Name and You will be near me. Thank you for bearing all my weaknesses and diseases on the cross, and healing me, spirit, soul and body."

COMMAND AGAINST SATAN

"Satan, I close every door that I have opened to you and I renounce every activity I have partaken with you. In Jesus name, I submit myself to God. I resist you and command you to flee from me, as it is written in James 4:7! I remind you that you are defeated by the power of the cross--and with the authority given to me by Jesus Christ I command you and force you to leave me right now!"

PRAYER TO GOD

"Father, I receive Your breath of Life into my mortal body now. I lift up my hands to You, to receive it; I fix my hopes on it and turn my life completely over to You. From this day forth I pray that you will give me the grace and wisdom to guard my heart diligently, to obey You and to resist every scheme of the enemy. I commit all I am to You and I have full faith that You are able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all I could ever ask or think. Lord, send me the help I need now. Show me the way.

I thank you for the love that you have lavished upon me and I pray that for the rest of my life, I will show that same love, mercy and forgiveness to all those around me. Amen!"

If this message has been a blessing to you and you would like to see more like them posted on this site, you can help make this possible by your gifts to Bible.com Ministries. Click here to donate

To view titles or purchase books from our Chapel Bookstore click here: http://store.bible.com/

• sadsjd 2013/05/09 13:41:24
    sadsjd
    +4
    Thank you. You have been like a light in the dark, helping me see clearly again, showing me God never left my side even through this awful time. God bless you.

• retard 2014/05/09 18:16:53 (edited)
  • sadsjd 2013/05/09 13:41:24
    sadsjd
    +4
  • rawrimamoocow 2012/03/13 06:50:35
    rawrimamoocow
    +2
    Living is hell dying is hell. Its all the same so why does your god care. Also if god created everything then he created suicide if he didnt want people to commit suicide there would be no suicide.
  • 8maried... rawrima... 2012/03/14 03:59:35
    8mariedawn6
    The sad thing is many people believe this life is Hell but Hell is much worse than earth could ever be.God did not invent suicide that would be man's way out.There are many dark Spirits that will led you to believe this is the right thing to do because they are out to destroy all man kind.
  • Bocephus 2012/03/12 23:31:35 (edited)
  • 8maried... Bocephus 2012/03/13 03:57:21
    8mariedawn6
    Yes I know people had did this what is your point? Just because they did it dose not it was not wrong in the Lord's eyes.
  • Bocephus 8maried... 2012/03/13 16:33:02
  • Rammstein 2012/03/09 16:56:55
    Rammstein
    that's an extraordinarily insensitive slide show you have there
  • Clay Slayer 2012/03/09 14:14:07
    Clay Slayer
    If this god really gave a damn what people do, there wouldnt be any suicide... Whats that you say. God doesnt cause it? Well it damn sure doesnt prevent it either does it??

Every 14.2 minutes someone in the United States dies by suicide.

Nearly 1,000,000 people make a suicide attempt every year.

90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable and treatable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
  • 8maried... Clay Sl... 2012/03/10 05:06:47
    8mariedawn6
    Yes I guess it is always easier to blame God for the choice people make.If some one kills there self that is there choice.Same as if some one dose not believe in the Lord that is there choice.People need to take responsibility for there actions.Stop blaming every one else for what they do.Good day.
  • Clay Sl... 8maried... 2012/03/10 14:21:07
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    Didnt answer my question.. I didnt blame anyone. Just using logic to understand the mentality of some that believe in the big daddy in the sky, but yet look at the shape this world is in.. I know,, your God didnt put it in this shape,, but your God sure hasnt done anything to prevent it either.. So the question is,, If this god can and wont, or Cant at all, what good is it?

So suicides and other atrocities are going to continue because of the thoughts of people...
  • 8maried... Clay Sl... 2012/03/12 03:55:06
    8mariedawn6
    Well I did answer the question.The fact is the Lord gives you the choice to do what you do wrong or right.The Lord Jesus was tormented in this world why would we not be also.Jesus warned us of the world and its wicked ways and one day it will come to a end and be destroyed.If you put your trust in God and live his will you understand and will have peace with in your self knowing that the day will come when you are with Jesus and that is all worth it.
  • Clay Sl... 8maried... 2012/03/12 13:29:09 (edited)
    Clay Slayer
    Again you skirted the question.. Why doesnt this all Powerful, can do anything, loving God, not just reach out and stop the suicides and attrocities of the world...I know,, God doesnt interfere,, so what good is this god then?? Either it can but wont, or it just Cant....

If I live this gods will, then I give up my Free will, and become a sheep,, no thanks..

Free will is an illusion if you follow someone elses will..
  • 8maried... Clay Sl... 2012/03/13 03:59:23
    8mariedawn6
    Ok I have answered the ? I am not arguing with you.I am sorry he has never helped you but he sure has done much for me.Did you ever think it is because you do not have any faith?
  • Clay Sl... 8maried... 2012/03/13 13:42:15
    Clay Slayer
    I am 74 years old, I have done quite well on my own , I needed no crutch nor some Diety to tell me right from wrong, when I needed something I pulled on my boots, got my gloves and went to work.. No need to wase time asking some Do nothing diety for help.. FAITH, Believing in something that has no Fact to base its existance on.... I know some people cant stand on their own two feet, and need a crutch to get through life,, but not all of us need a Delusion to see us through..
  • 8maried... Clay Sl... 2012/03/14 04:07:26
    8mariedawn6
    Ok now you are getting personal and how dare you act so above me.You do not even know what I have been threw or what I have seen in this life.You have no idea.I know all about working and I know what it is to be poor and work my butt of to get by.I know what it is like to be hungry because I had no food.I have been homeless and I could go on.However you want to tell me the Lord is not real that is your choice I was saved by the Lord many years ago and I seen his glory with my own eyes I also did not believe and got involved in the dark side have you ever been face to face with a demon ?I have and the glory of God saved me that night and I have been with him every since.So you believe what you want but do not talk so mighty when you have no idea who you are talking to or what they have been threw or have saw.
  • Clay Sl... 8maried... 2012/03/14 13:18:28
    Clay Slayer
    If that is what you want to believe, thats fine, Delusion doesnt really hurt anyone, However Give yourself credit for bringing youreself around... crutches are good if you have a broken leg,,

I know many people that make your claim and very few of them really know what actual horror situations are... They have one little incident in their lives and they cry out, GOD did it. I am sure this God took time to help you while millions of children were starving ,being raped, murdered, and man destroying man with war, I cant understand what makes people think this God helped them While it Ignores the rest of the world?? Not Logical.... Congratulations for YOU getting YOURSELF out of your problems......

By the way it is THROUGH,, not Threw...... people god helped ignores rest world logical congratulations problems threw
  • 8maried... Clay Sl... 2012/03/19 04:10:37
    8mariedawn6
    See that is the funny part I know he is not ignoring these people and I can see where he helps.Really I do not care one way or the other if you believe what I say but I do feel for your soul.God is all over but you have to have him in your life to see the glory.None believers just do not get it.I am not the one that is unable to see.Good luck!
  • Clay Sl... 8maried... 2012/03/19 14:42:00
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    I like you were brainwashed with this God is Love BS, I was in my 20s when I got the Delusion out of my head, and my life has been so much happier and better.. And yes we are the ones that get it,, The delusional people with invisible playmates are the ones that dont get it, they still need a crutch to make it through life, I really feal pity for them......If this god was not ignoring these people then what was it doing? Did it Stop any of the madness in the world,, Has it Fed the millions of starving children..Has it stopped any freaking war that is killing millions of innocents? Pray tell me Just what has the invisible daddy been doing...??

I mean,, Talking Snakes, Talking Asses and horses, Virgin Birth with a Ghost, Man walking on water,, Bushes on fire and talking, a single person builds a boat by hand, big enough to carry millions of animals and all their poop, Dead people getting out of the grave and walking around..

And u say we are the ones that dont get it..... boat hand carry millions animals poop dead people grave walking
  • 8maried... Clay Sl... 2012/03/20 03:28:11
    8mariedawn6
    You are not being very nice and I am not going to be put down by you any more.Good day.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/03/09 13:48:48
    Bingo's Faddah
    +1
    Nice copy and paste. How about YOUR thoughts? Besides, isn't the bible more concerned with killing others? I've read it and it sure seems that way! Whole lotta smiting going on!

biblical battle
  • 8maried... Bingo's... 2012/03/10 05:09:22
    8mariedawn6
    Yes it is a copy and past never said it was not.What do I thank about suicide?I thank it is very sad when some one gets so low in life and thanks there is no way out.I know how that goes I have been there if you must know.I also blamed the Lord at one time then I realized it was all about choices and allowing the Lord in to show me the way.
  • Bingo's... 8maried... 2012/03/10 12:37:40
    Bingo's Faddah
    A bit defensive this afternoon? OK; try this: You have Fibromyalgia, Colitis, and severe Arthritis. Your existance is one of constant agony and any sleep you get is the result of total exhaustion. What choice would you make? And why so testy when I merely asked your your opinion rather than a re print? Not something Jesus would have done.....
    +1
    Like he's got anything to worry or be depressed about....
    Gimme a break.
  • 8maried... Lady Wh... 2012/03/10 05:10:36
    8mariedawn6
    Who are you talking about? If you are talking about God seems to me he has allot to be upset with in this world.
  • Retard Buggsy 2012/03/09 10:24:58
    Retard Buggsy
    +1
    Its up to us if we want to commit suicide not anyone else so they shouldn't be allowed to stop us. When life gets to a real bad low, you should be able to do as you please as long it doesn't affect anyone else in a bad way.
  • 8maried... Retard ... 2012/03/10 05:14:51
    8mariedawn6
    You are right about choices but then again you have to realize that if you saw some one trying to kill them self you would want to stop them that is just out of caring for other life.So it goes two ways.Another thing is allot of times make bad choices when they are up set and could change there mind later and not want to die.I once wanted to die but I am glad I did not go threw with it now.Good day.
  • sylvia.... 8maried... 2012/11/28 14:33:54
    sylvia.smith.96930
    +11
    They continue to reject HIM. They are blind until they receive his spirit. Keep telling the world and be encouraged sister!

2014/07/24 16:57:00