What Do You Think the Legal Limit for Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) Is?

With occasions like Valentine's Day and school graduations coming up, it's no secret that many will celebrate in the form of a drink or two. And while toasting with a glass of wine is typically not a big deal, things get a lot more serious when driving is entered into the equation.

Whether you've been in the car with a driver under the influence or felt a little hesitant driving after a couple drinks yourself, we wanted to gauge your own experiences and opinions about drinking and driving. So let's get to it with this Drinking and Driving Survey. And don't forget to be safe out there, folks.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/Drinking-D...

• KoAm 2013/03/06 14:32:52
    Other
    KoAm
    Here in Japan, it's against the law to drive with pretty much ANY alcohol in your system.

There is a legal limit, but it's so low (like 0.0000001 or something) that only one drink would put anyone over the limit. Unless you weigh 400 pounds or something like that.

It should be the same in America. Enough is enough.

As long as America continues to tolerate a certain level of drinking and driving, there will continue to be alcohol-related accidents that cause tragedy and death.
  • Upward Bound Precalc Tutor 2013/02/21 04:45:40 (edited)
    .08
    Upward Bound Precalc Tutor
    For any adult 21 or over in the states of the United States it is 0.08 . Mothers against drunk driving got the congresss to pass a bill requiring all states to adopt that standard. During the 1960's it was 0.15 per se and officer option from 0.05 to 0.149. The per se

standard was lowered to 0.10 in Ohio until that federal mandate required all states to set it at 0.08 for drivers of ordinary passenger vehicles. Officers still have option to charge impaired driving for less than 0.08 especially if over 0.05 if there are other signs of impairment. Those who operate commercial vehicles including the big rigs and school busses are per se violators at 0.04. Those who are under the 21 year minimum age who blow as low as 0.02 can be charged with a DUI level offense called driving after underage drinking.

Anyone who is voting for 1.1 needs to retake their middle school health and mathematics, or else stop consuming that vodka. 1.1 was ELEVEN times the legal limit when it was still 0.1. Now it is 13 3/4 times the legal limit. For most people, a blood alcohol level this high would mean immediate death by alcohol intoxication. Only a long time alcoholic who has built up a body tolerance for this could survive and even they would be knocked out and probably unconscious at this Blood Alcohol Concentration level.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2013/02/15 00:12:27
    .08
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    in my state which is ridiculous used to be .15

in my younger years I was pulled over three times and asked to blow the meter (once for a tail light, once for speeding, once for driving too slowly)
    All three times I blew over the limit and was let go by the officer because I walked the line, did the alphabet backwards and could still drive fine...
  • polock 2013/02/14 14:48:40
    .08
    polock
    everywhere I know, that's it.
  • GUY FAWKES 2013/02/14 04:45:38
  • KoAm GUY FAWKES 2013/03/06 14:34:01
    KoAm
    No problem. Drink all you want, if that's your thing. But just don't drive!
  • Nothingful ._. 2013/02/13 21:49:06
    .08
    Nothingful ._.
    Dont be an idiot get someone sober to drive
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/02/13 21:04:57
  • harley oldman 2013/02/13 15:55:52
    .08
    harley oldman
    +1
    It`s .08 in the State live in. Its cut in half to .04 if your a Concealed Carry Permit holder.
  • Random 2013/02/13 14:07:11 (edited)
    Other
    Random
    Hmm, well, here it differs. Learners and those on Red and Green P plates the legal BAC level is .00. On opens it's 0.05 for us.

As you can imagine, I've gone to work hungover many times, praying I didn't encounter the coppers on the way!
  • Silverl... Random 2013/02/14 03:20:39
    Silverlocust
    Maybe you should curb your drinking and check the laws. The BAC across Australia is 0.05 not 0.08 - and has been for over 30 years.
  • Matt Silverl... 2013/02/14 15:03:53 (edited)
    Matt
    hahaha was going to say the same thing, hope I don't live anywhere near random... blow 0.08 in Australia and its considered a mid range offense.. in WA its instant loss of licence on the spot for 2 months.
    0.05 and you are twice as likely to cause an accident
    0.08 and you are 7 times more likely

Edit WA went 0.05 in 1991 so 22 years ago
  • Random Silverl... 2013/02/15 11:29:40 (edited)
    Random
    Typo. My bad. Fixed for ya!
  • Silverl... Random 2013/02/16 05:04:20
    Silverlocust
    Excellent - don't want anyone thinking Aussies are heavy drinkers!
  • Random Silverl... 2013/02/16 13:48:20
    Random
    Of course not. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a couple of bottles of Buorbon with my name on it. XD
  • U Mad Bro? 2013/02/13 13:59:36
    .08
    U Mad Bro?
    Drove home drunk from a party once, never again. I was clinging to the steering wheel with one eye open praying I didn't cross paths with police.
  • mrdog 2013/02/13 11:33:48
    Other
    mrdog
    In fact it is different in all people....I woud never drive after two drinks of wine...

but my wife...could drink a bottle of red with no problem.... of course I understand
    there must be a number for the police measure for DWI...bark
  • MoncheleHeart 2013/02/13 09:02:00
    Other
    MoncheleHeart
    It should be anyway, don't drink and drive, don't drink and drown.... there's so many warnings yet people ignore them :/
  • Rebel [SHP] 2013/02/13 08:13:02
    .08
    Rebel [SHP]
    Everyone knows this.
  • jimrthy BN-0 2013/02/13 07:18:31
    1.1
    jimrthy BN-0
    This is such a ridiculous standard. And the way that it's enforced just leads to more deaths.

I have a friend who got a DUI. He'd go to the bar, have a couple of drinks, try to drive home, and the breathalyzer would tell him "No." So he'd go back to the bar, suck down a glass of water, try again, and it would say "Yes."

The whole thing is stupid. And totally missing the point.

If you're drunk, you're probably going to kill someone.

I drove to work this morning totally sober. There are lots of flashing lights warning about limited sighting distance. I pulled around a curve and there was some jackass in the middle of the road trying to turn left. He wasn't bright enough to get into the turning lane where he belonged.

I slammed on my brakes, and my car started skidding, trying to avoid him.

It was sheer luck (and the skill of all the other drivers around me) that kept me from starting a fairly major pile-up.

Pretty much everything about the current "drunk driver" laws has completely missed the point.
  • Silverl... jimrthy... 2013/02/14 03:24:25
    Silverlocust
    How do the DUI laws "miss the point"?
    A faulty breathalyzer and a stupid driver have no relevance to drunk drivers.
  • jimrthy... Silverl... 2013/02/23 02:07:58
    jimrthy BN-0
    The point is to get the *serious* drunks off the road.

It shouldn't about hammering some guy who had 2 or 3 drinks at happy hour. That just turns it back into Prohibition (which was doomed from the start).

I've known *way* to many people who were probably slightly over the legal limit (because they were feeling stupid...this is what alcohol does) who decided to have another couple of drinks for the road. After that, it isn't that big a deal for the real drunks (who are the point) to decide to just get wasted...after all, they're just criminals who haven't gotten caught at that point.

They weren't worried about getting into wrecks and killing someone (which *should* be the point). They were worried about being caught. And they aren't really any more likely to "get caught" at .08 than they would be at .12...which seems iike a reasonable target for the original point.

They're just more likely to actually kill someone else...and the penalty doesn't seem to be that much worse.

It gets worse. *IF* someone is stupid enough to put him/herself in the position of "needing" to drive home after drinking too much, they can't drive slowly and carefully. That's pretty much a guaranteed DUI. So they might as well embrace everything that alcohol does to screw with your system and do their best to p...

It gets worse. *IF* someone is stupid enough to put him/herself in the position of "needing" to drive home after drinking too much, they can't drive slowly and carefully. That's pretty much a guaranteed DUI. So they might as well embrace everything that alcohol does to screw with your system and do their best to pretend they're sober. Just to avoid attracting attention from the cops. Since, after all, their only concern at that point is avoiding getting caught.

Much better to hammer the serious drunks on the road and give wrist slaps to people who are "mildly impaired"...unless they actually cause damage.
  • Silverl... jimrthy... 2013/02/23 03:57:53
    Silverlocust
    I disagree entirely with your argument (as I read it) that the less seriously affected drivers are not at increased risk of causing accidents.

It has been shown repeatedly in rigorous scientific studies that even low BAC (8%) noticeably affects drivers' concentration, judgement and coordination. This is the reason why the whole of Europe moved to a 5% BAC rule years ago.

It was shown in a 2003 study by the University of Barcelona and University College London that this law reduced road fatality rates by 4.3% by population and 6.1% by amount of kilometres driven.
    Though the lower alcohol law must be accompanied by random breath-testing to enforce it.

To dismiss "some guy who had 2 or 3 drinks at happy hour." as not being part of the massive social and economic problem that road fatalities are, is to misunderstand it completely.
  • jimrthy... Silverl... 2013/02/27 06:44:31
    jimrthy BN-0
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to present that argument at all. Driving is freaking dangerous. No one should ever drive after drinking. It's just plumb-pure stupid.

I've just spent too many years around the idiots we *really* want to keep off the roads.

The dumbasses who drink just enough to feel invulnerable...so they drink a bit more.

I don't know how it works in Australia. Here, the basic attitude amounts to "Well, I'll get arrested if I get caught, so what's another drink?"

It's a stupid, horrible, attitude. But this is the way Americans have been taught to think. Most of us don't care about the basic point (killing another person). Mostly, the drunks are just worried about getting caught.

It's completely and totally backwards.

> Though the lower alcohol law must be accompanied by random breath-testing to
    > enforce it.

I know you Aussies don't care much about ideas about ideas like privacy and personal freedom...but I hope this sort of crap never gains any traction here. It makes sense, but...I'd personally rather take my chances with a drunk driver who's out of his mind than a random cop who has another excuse to stop me.

The excuses they already have are more than enough.
  • Silverl... jimrthy... 2013/02/27 08:54:44
    Silverlocust
    That "Well, I'll get arrested if I get caught, so what's another drink?" attitude seems to indicate that there aren't greater consequences for having a higher level of alcohol in the US. Surely that can't be right?
    Of course, once a person has drunk a certain amount, those logical thoughts just don't operate and that's a worry. The idea is to stop people before they get to that state of drunkenness
    Certainly the police random breath-testing units have had a massive effect on road fatalities (in a good way) and they are widely accepted as necessary.

It may seem from your perspective that Australians don't care much about freedoms. That's because the balance between personal liberty and benefits for society as a whole leans more to the latter here.
    Taking 30 seconds to breathe into a breathalyzer seems like a tiny price to pay for hugely safer roads.

Also, we have had ongoing tv commercials for years that are designed to wake people up the the realities of road accidents. Take a look at one of the hardest-hitting ones. Beware, hard to watch .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
  • Sweettxroses 2013/02/13 06:42:46
    .08
    Sweettxroses
    +1
    In Texas it's 0.08%. It generally varies by state unually between 0.04% - 0.08%. Best advise is to not drink and drive because then you don't have to worry about it.
  • American Nate 2013/02/13 02:40:13
    .04
    American Nate
    +2
    .04 or .08 either one.

I just advice not to drink at all before you drive.

dui
  • Sterling 2013/02/13 01:55:21 (edited)
    .08
    Sterling
    These are all wrong, it's actually .08% ... yes... there's a big difference.

*edit* didn't see the "other" option before, should have clicked that.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2013/02/13 01:41:06
    Other
    Waiting in the Wings
    In Florida it is 0.06.
  • America... Waiting... 2013/02/13 02:41:50 (edited)
    American Nate
    In Florida, the BAC limit is .08

http://www.south-floridaattor...
  • JohnT 2013/02/12 22:25:21
    .08
    JohnT
    I cannot speak for every state but in California it is .08
  • macbeth 2013/02/12 21:39:45
    .08
    macbeth
    +1
    I have a rule. If I'm driving I don't drink alcohol. Simple.
  • Anna 2013/02/12 21:34:55
    .04
    Anna
    I think so.
  • BigKwell 2013/02/12 20:13:04
    .08
    BigKwell
    At least that's the limit in Washington state.
  • RJeffreySavlov 2013/02/12 16:08:16
    Other
    RJeffreySavlov
    +1
    Legal limit should be 0.00. If you drink you don't drive and the whole concept of a drive through liquor outlet or the sale of a single beer or alcoholic beverage only encourages drinking and driving.
  • foxy RJeffre... 2013/02/12 17:55:55
    foxy
    I agree 100% why do people risk their lives and friends and family, also others on the road, it is just not worth it.
  • tytyvyllus 2013/02/12 15:56:37
    Other
    tytyvyllus
    does it vary by state?
  • Waiting... tytyvyllus 2013/02/13 01:41:52
    Waiting in the Wings
    +1
    It does.
  • Sterling Waiting... 2013/02/13 02:00:28
    Sterling
    Not any more. all are set at .08%
  • The Andoxico 2013/02/12 14:23:56
    .08
    The Andoxico
    .05 for commercial drivers

2014/09/17 12:20:53