What do you think of truck drivers and trucking in america?

mycountry 2012/06/25 01:09:43
do you think we are a nuisance and perverts?
or do you think we a vital part america's economy?

some people think of us as a nuisance, some call us perverts, some say we are the backbone to america's economy. i would like some honest opinions good or bad. this is my first sodahead discussion, so i am sorry if something might not make sense.

• pdarkow 2012/06/25 02:48:23
    pdarkow
    +10
    Truckers are the single most vital part of America's Economy for the simple fact nothing and I mean nothing can be bought sold or traded without truckers. It takes a truck to deliver everything in a grocery store, retail store, manufacturing plants need raw material delivered by trucks, etc. Gas stations depend on trucks to deliver fuel to their gas station so they can sell it to the consumers, nothing moves without truckers period. These facts are often taken for granted by our society and often overlooked by our society.

• Megan Jones 2014/08/20 17:15:11
  • harley.jackman.3 2013/01/17 23:01:44
  • Sally Johnson 2012/08/24 18:15:39
  • lucky 2012/06/28 14:01:46
    lucky
    Without truckers my business would go under, they are a very intricate part of my financial success and anyone that says truckers are not vital needs to look around and see just how many products, necessities, etc. are hauled by truckers. Unfortunately there are some bad truckers though who give the rest a bad reputation.
  • Country Gentleman 2012/06/27 06:21:14
    Country Gentleman
    I think truckers are important to America's economy, but too many take unnecessary risks and some are careless when they are driving.There was a time when truckers were considered knights of the road (a high honor), even if they were considered a little rough around the edges.
  • Houndies 2012/06/27 01:59:03 (edited)
    Houndies
    Everything single thing we have comes by truck. There are really good drivers and really terrible drivers. Its not the same profession it was 20 yrs ago. there is much more to know now and DOT regs keep them on their toes.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/06/27 00:17:38
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +2
    There's good and bad in everything. I have family and have had friends who drive, and I believe they are decent. I also know that there are a lot of scum who hide in the trucking industry.

In any event, I do believe they are vital to the economy.
    +3
    my Dad was a Trucker
  • Selkets... Sister ... 2012/06/29 20:04:30
    Selketskiss
    +1
    I did it with a friend for 2 years 30 years ago it is a tough job as you have delivery times and they do not want excuses they want their cargo. Back then you also had to pay lumpers to unload your truck if you were not signed with a company. Some places were strict, say your lettuce temp in the trailer was a tad high they could reject the entire load or make you wait till it is right. People have no idea how hard it was and still is.
  • Jdogg 2012/06/26 20:09:04
    Jdogg
    +1
    They are a very Important part to our economy.If these people ever went on strike, It wouldn't be a good thing for a lot businesses.
  • Phil 2012/06/26 11:44:32
    Phil
    +1
    Truckers are the people that keep this country supplied. And as far as being a pervert that's not a bad thing.
  • David William 2012/06/26 07:29:29
    David William
    The drivers are usually lonely people, or anti-social people... I'm glad they have something they can do.
    The vehicles on the other hand are impractical, we don't need to ship food from one corner of the country to the other. People need to think about what they can make for themselves in a more local setting. We're pissing away the resources we could be using to build a better world on shipping trinkets to morons.
  • Georgia50 2012/06/26 04:57:51
    Georgia50
    Important, thankless job, critical to America's economy. The only change I'd make is to adopt dedicated turn signals that are different from 4-ways. It's frustrating to wait for a truck to make a lane change only to discover his 4-ways are on with one blinker burnt out. Not that it happens often, I just think an arrow-shaped lens would make the point more clear.
  • santa6642 2012/06/26 02:34:46
    santa6642
    +1
    They make the country work by moving what is needed around this country.
  • Maddog 2012/06/25 21:19:03
    Maddog
    +1
    They are definitely vital to the U.S. economy. That said, a little more courtesy to those of us driving less intimidating vehicles would be nice.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/06/25 20:18:50
    heirsoftheking
    +2
    Without truckers most people wouldn't have much.
  • Iamfree 2012/06/25 20:04:08
    Iamfree
    +1
    I believe truckers are vital to moving goods around the U.S. Sadly, I do not think they are the "gentlemen of the road" that they were when I was growing up. When I was a kid, if you were broken down on the freeway, you prayed a trucker would stop because they would always be a great help. That isn't always the case anymore. I can't count the number of times a trucker has run up on my bumper, scaring me to death, or how often they've passed me and come back into my lane with only a few yards to spare.

That said, I am grateful for the hard work and long hours the majority of truckers put in to keep America running. You guys are remarkable people overall.
  • Selkets... Iamfree 2012/06/29 20:08:53 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    +1
    You are right back in the day truckers would help you but in today's world I would never ask them for help...or any one else either...
  • Marianne 2012/06/25 19:39:45
    Marianne
    I think that trucks are an important part of the whole transport system. In Europe, we have though problems on big axes, as traffic jams occur frequently, with too many cars and trucks on their way during peak hours. For certain tunnels in the mountains they use therefore the pickaback system (transfer of cars and trucks by rail). There are further tracks or roads where the size and weight of trucks and busses is limited.
    It is highly probable that trucks, busses and cars will be increasingly adapted to be fed with alternative or green fuels.
    As to truck and bus drivers, I had the pleasure of meeting mostly friendly and helpful people, women and men.
  • Apache 2012/06/25 19:18:16
  • Tennessee3501 2012/06/25 18:30:20
    Tennessee3501
    +2
    This is a good topic and a good discussion. One of our SodaHeaders used to drive 18 wheelers in her bare feet before they made it illegal to do so. I hope she will come forward and give her name so that you will know that you are not the only truckdriver on the site. I was a "Good Humor Man" throughout college and graduate school, but an ice cream truck driver ringing bells through neighborhoods is not what you had in mind. Truck drivers are great!
  • Selkets... Tenness... 2012/06/29 20:13:30
    Selketskiss
    +1
    I loved my ice cream man back in the day..every year it was the same guy. On really hot days he would go swimming with us in the Chesapeake Bay..he was a real nice man..
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/06/25 18:18:37
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    What would we do without them??
  • Tenness... Barefoo... 2012/06/29 20:52:47
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    We would have to drive all the trucks ourselves -- or hire you!
  • Barefoo... Tenness... 2012/06/30 01:45:59
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    *big smiles*
  • jimf 2012/06/25 17:23:16
    jimf
    Some act as if they own the road and can do no wrong, others are just fine.
    Same goes for any driver of a public vehicle e.g. a taxi or a coach.
  • intolerantrwj 2012/06/25 17:20:25
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ..... damned shame the twits in DC think we're nothing more than pond scum ....

if you got it  a truck brought it if you got it  a truck brought it
  • ♥dreamer-leigh♥ 2012/06/25 16:37:08 (edited)
    ♥dreamer-leigh♥
    +2
    Truckers and the industry are and will be a vital part of the economy..how else do you get goods from A to B?? This country could not survive without them and the long hard work they put in year after year at great sacrifice!
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/06/25 16:25:03
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    The job has always appealed to me. I enjoy working alone/independently and driving - even for long hours on end. I am considering a CDL on my return to the USA.
  • intoler... Beat Ma... 2012/06/25 17:22:53
    intolerantrwj
    .....been doin' it since my teens .... since the CDL came about I'd advise against it
  • White Raven 2012/06/25 16:20:36 (edited)
    White Raven
    +2
    Truckers are the last American Cowboys in the today's era.
  • Wretha S 2012/06/25 16:11:36
    Wretha S
    +2
    They are the backbone of America.

Wretha
  • ALofRI 2012/06/25 15:41:42
    ALofRI
    +1
    Hard work, long hours. I always keep an eye out for truckers behind me and move over (if I can), to allow them to stay in their lane, especially with a hill coming up. Don't know where the "pervert" comes from. Certainly not from THIS...er...pervert...( well, dirty old man, anyway).

I DON'T agree with those who pump "uppers" to stay on the road too long though!
  • Selkets... ALofRI 2012/06/29 20:16:56
    Selketskiss
    Some have been responsible for rapes, murders across the country but it is no different than a perv at a bar..it is just harder to catch them...
  • Roguebear55 2012/06/25 15:39:08
    Roguebear55
    +2
    Without trucks and thier drivers there would be no items on the shelfs arround the country. The trains and planes and ships can not get ot your local stores.
  • bluelady 2012/06/25 14:31:07
    bluelady
    +2
    WONDERFUL!! >I have had several truckers come to my aid at times, with directions and leading me thru a ice storm, assisting at MVA's...The fact that my father in law was an over-the-road, my brother in law was an owner/operator ,an other brother in law was a diesel mechanic, and I was his assitant(told y'all I used to be a motorhead)...has nothing to do with my great admiration for the trucker
  • MichaelDillon 2012/06/25 14:29:14
    MichaelDillon
    +3
    I did 7 years OTR. Good honest work.
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2012/06/25 14:25:39
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +5
    Considering that there are over 17 million of them on the road, you are bound to run into a few that are bad apples. For the most part, the folks that drive trucks are more safety conscious and polite than most passenger vehicle drivers. Just my opinion. Everything moves by truck, so if you bought it, it got here by truck.
  • Barefoo... Will Ad... 2012/06/25 18:19:39
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +2
    I agree!
  • Tom 2012/06/25 14:24:36
    Tom
    +4
    Also the most predictable drivers on the road:)
    Truckers don't suddenly swing out in front of you or brake for no reason, or ride your ass.

2014/11/27 19:46:44