What do you think about women who breastfeed in public?

Cheryl 2008/06/27 08:48:16
There is nothing offensive about feeding a child in the most natural way.
They should be more considerate to other people who may be offended, including children who dont understand
Some mothers are uncomfortable breastfeeding in public, because there might be people around who don't think it's appropriate.
There were even mothers who posted pictures of their babies breastfeeding on their myspace/facebook pages and got their pictures pulled off.
Is society really against seeing a child on their mothers breast?

• Nina ~COB~Yes We Did 2008/06/27 12:35:44
    Nina ~COB~Yes We Did
    +8
    I've never had this occur. I can't imagine it would bother me as long as mom didn't make a display of herself.

• NativeNH1 2009/12/04 01:52:58
    NativeNH1
    As long as it is done discretely, what's the big deal? I'd rather sit next to a mother who's breast-feeding her child than a chain-smoker!
  • *~*Mizz Behavedl*~* 2009/09/12 06:34:38 (edited)
    They should be more considerate to other people who may be offended, includin...
    *~*Mizz Behavedl*~*
    I don't see what's so hard about pumping milk into bottles beforehand. That's what I did.

It's not "offensive" it's just GROSS
  • Naui 2009/09/09 04:37:06
  • Mattzero 2009/09/09 03:04:38
    Mattzero
    But it is hard for me not to stare.
  • phil9x 2009/08/04 10:06:30
    phil9x
    +1
    If some one finds this offensive they need psychiatric help
  • Cass 2009/02/27 22:34:58
    Cass
    ...Duh!!!
  • AngelEyes 2009/01/24 20:45:27
    AngelEyes
    +1
    I do not have a problem with a woman feeding a baby as long as she covers up.... that is why they make throw blankets, they are thin and it will cover the breast up... Sorry but I do not care nothing about trying to eat and having a boob laying out for God and everyone to see.... Feed the child at home, you know what the babies schedule is, so base you time around the feeding schedule. I breast feed my daughter, and never once in the year that she was attached, did I ever hang my boob out for anyone to see. I have to much self-respect formyself... Only one man is to see my breast, and that is my husband....
  • gram 2009/01/04 22:56:36
    gram
    +2
    I have four children and breastfed them all. I did try to be somewhat discrete about feeding them in public, but by the time I had the fourth one and was running three other kids here and there having karate, dance practice and recitals and not always a place to go and nurse I had overcome the feeling that I needed to make the rest of the world comfortable with the perfectly natural experience of feeding my hungry baby. People need to stop being so easily offended and find real things to be offended by. There is plenty of skin showing where people aren't breastfeeding. In fact often more skin and more of the breast is exposed in plenty of ways other than breastfeeding so get a grip and let mothers feed their hungry babies and leave them alone.
  • Petpeve 2008/12/29 02:30:53
    Petpeve
    I nursed all 5 of my children. Sometimes out in public places. This can be done in a very modest manner & no one would ever know unless you disclosed it to them. However, I have seen other women who thought nothing of covering anything while they nursed their children. I thought this was inconsiderate of them as there are a great number of people who find this offensive. As for Facebook, they have a right to say what does and what does not get posted on their web.
  • Alice 2008/12/28 05:57:41
    Alice
    But honestly, I don't know why they would. I mean, it's not like they're really revealing anything, but wouldn't you want a little more privacy?
  • Silly Me Alice 2008/12/28 16:43:08 (edited)
    Silly Me
    +2
    Alice says "wouldn't you want a little more privacy?" for what? What would a woman want privacy for when breastfeeding a baby? This is the real issue. We in society need to adjust our thinking.

There is a need to separate in our minds the function of the breast (providing nutrition) from the form of the breast as (pornography).
  • Alice Silly Me 2008/12/28 17:11:59
    Alice
    I'm not really saying that they would need privacy, or that there's any exact reason for wanting privacy, I'd just think you'd feel a little exposed. I agree, there's nothing pornographic about it.
  • that0neguy 2008/12/28 05:46:14
    that0neguy
    I don't really think about the women, I think about the baby. S/he is hungry. Then I'm hungry.
  • Silly Me 2008/12/28 03:50:26
    Silly Me
    Nothing new about breastfeeding or our appreciation of it folks. This painting was done in 1525. offensive feeding child natural breastfeeding appreciation folks painting 1525
  • brytt 2008/12/26 06:31:13
    brytt
    it is competly natural but i would not be comfortable letting everyone see my breast i would use a pump at home and feed him/her from the bottle in public i am uncomfortable when i see a mother breastfeeding
  • red dog usa 2008/12/24 17:46:27
    red dog usa
    Rude, inconsiderate stupid

They shouldn't be allowed to do it in public because I don't want to see it. If they do it, spit on them.
  • NativeNH1 red dog... 2009/12/04 01:59:46
    NativeNH1
    You do realize that women have bodies that were created to breast-feed? As long as it is done discretely, it should offend no one. If you despise it, you can always look away!
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2008/12/23 19:10:16
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +1
    This is what nature intended but society has made it out to be "something dirty"which is sad IMO. Babis NEED and DESERVE mother's milk and no woman should have to be ashamed or ostracized for doing the right thing for her infant. Any woman I have seen nursing tries to cover herself with a blanket/special clothing for nursing, etc so leave them be.
    I think a woman nursing her baby is a beautiful thing.
  • ffds 2008/12/23 18:33:46
    ffds
    +1
    I understand that it may offend some people, but the fact is that children have to get fed... Nothing says that you have to look at a woman nursing... I've had two kids, and I nursed them wherever I went.. I wasnt going to make my kid scream because someone might not like it... I always wore a tank top under my shirt so that everything could always be covered. I'd pull my top up and make sure my tank was down... it worked for me... But I always made sure that I wasnt just whippin it out for the world to see...
  • Maria 2008/12/23 01:46:51
    Maria
    sure is natural way to breast feed your baby.
    long time ago America Indians do breastfeed in public and did not complain. now days complain. it is nature and everyone should know that. feed baby america indians breastfeed public complain days complain nature
  • brob1969 2008/12/22 01:18:47
    brob1969
    +3
    If it makes you uncomfortable to see a woman breastfeeding her child then you have every right to look the other direction.
  • NativeNH1 brob1969 2009/12/04 02:01:17
    NativeNH1
    +1
    Well said!
  • nypoet22 2008/12/05 21:24:12 (edited)
    nypoet22
    yes, society is against women opening their shirts in public, just like it's against people chewing with their mouths open. there's no objective reason it ought to be like that, but it just is. of course, going through pregnancy, labor and childbirth pretty much earns you a universal pardon from such minor faux pas. anyhow, as long as they use a blanket or something it's perfectly polite and barely noticeable.
  • Kack 2008/12/04 00:02:51
    Kack
    +1
    I breastfed both of mine. Sometimes in public, when I had to. It can be done discreetly. My first priority is always my kids. Besides, if you don't want to see my tits, then don't look at them.
  • corrinne 2008/11/28 16:57:31
    corrinne
    +3
    What's the big deal?? Really! You were fed that way, your mom was fed that way. Nearly everyone in the world was fed that way. And if your worried about children, just tell them they were fed that way, too! Women should not have to be ashamed of taking care of their baby.
  • Livy 2008/09/18 14:46:29
  • Cheryl Livy 2008/09/18 18:10:09
    Cheryl
    i breastfeed my son, and sometimes i feel weird about doing it in public. if we're somewhere like a resteraunt where there aren't too many kids around, i'll go out to my car. but if we're somewhere that is child/baby friendly like a park or the zoo, i dont feel so bad feeding him in public as long as i cover up!
  • Hachi the Moofish 2008/09/08 02:19:02
    Hachi the Moofish
    +2
    it's natural.
    this is worse than those highschoolers who snigger at the nude sculptures in museums.
  • dana.taylor.! 2008/09/07 19:06:15
    dana.taylor.!
    +1
    There is nothing wrong with it what so ever and it's completly appropriate. It's not like some offensive feeding child natural wrong completly woman is flashing her breasts and yelling drink up!!!
  • the kid 2008/07/18 10:14:04
    the kid
    +2
    lucky baby
  • AntiMainstream 2008/07/17 04:35:48
    AntiMainstream
    +3
    I think it's natural, normal and beautiful. Of course, before I was a mom I had mixed feelings about it. Now, I know how the moms feel. I nurse whenever and wherever I have to. I am descrete about it so not to offend anyone, but hey if my child needs to eat, my child needs to eat.
  • sqrlysweetp 2008/07/15 05:26:24
    sqrlysweetp
    +4
    I did with my baby.. As long as it's not flaunted out there I have no problem with it.
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2008/07/09 16:57:56 (edited)
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +3
    Woman should be more modest about breastfeeding in public. It is not a shameful act but it is like flaunting it. I do not like to see it.
  • Kack Kara ~~... 2008/12/04 00:05:07
    Kack
    +2
    That's pretty easy to resolve. Don't look! =) The way I see it, you can either look away or listen to a screaming baby.
  • brob1969 Kara ~~... 2008/12/22 01:21:06
    brob1969
    +1
    Huh? Flaunting it?
    If you don't like to see it then you are absolutely free to look in the other direction.
  • Feck Sodahed 2008/07/09 14:29:54
    Feck Sodahed
    +3
    I'm not sure. I realize it is natural...but I think in this day and age I think it is more appropriate to breast-feed in private. Most places provide a lounge for breast-feeding...but there are times when the mother may not have access to a private place. In that case I think she should be as discreet as possible...not just whipping it out for the world to see...that is too exhibitionist IMO. That isn't necessary. We don't live in an undeveloped country (thinking of the pictures I saw in National Geogrphics when I was a kid). I would rank it up there with people who bring their photos of their child's birth to work and pass them around. Yes...childbirth is natural...but don't want to see pictures of the actual birth. No thank you!
  • Livy Feck So... 2008/09/18 14:49:04
  • Cheryl Livy 2008/09/18 18:15:17
    Cheryl
    +1
    of all the places i've been since my son was born, i've probably only seen two of these lounges and they were at churches...
    when i have to choose between feeding my child or letting him be hungry so as not to offend people, i choose to feed him. i would love to be able to pump and bottle feed in public, but my son refuses ANY nipple that is not my own. i have tried every shape, size and material nipple and he will not accept it!
  • Livy Cheryl 2008/09/18 20:25:15
  • leolo 2008/07/09 09:29:18
    leolo
    +4
    omg...of offensive feeding child natural omg chourse its normal

2014/07/25 17:32:53