What Do You Do When a Cashier Gives You Too Much Change Back?

What can we say? We're gaga over groceries! While we shop for our favorite snacks at the store, we often wonder if our grocery store etiquette is the same as others. Do most people sneak in samples at the candy bins while deciding whether or not they're going to buy the goods? What do you do when the cashier gives you too much change? And is it normal to go grocery shopping three times a week? We're finally going to find out.

Take our 8-question "Gaga Over Groceries" survey to have your vote count in the stats -- and have fun shopping!

• jim.caputo.35 2012/09/10 19:27:32
    Give it back
    jim.caputo.35
    +4
    In many stores (and banks too), when the cashiers come up short due to human error, their jobs are at risk. You have to be a cruel, heartless bastard to be willing to put someone out of work just so you'll have a couple of extra dollars in your pocket.
  • Dan Hood 2012/09/10 19:23:45
    Take the money and run!
    Dan Hood
    Unless it was something obvious like a $100 for $1 in change, I probably wouldn't notice. If I noticed, I'd give it back, but chances are that I didn't.
  • Almost Genius 2012/09/10 19:18:38
    Take the money and run!
    Almost Genius
    +2
    I always give it back. I wouldn't want the cashier to not give me enough change, so why would I take more from her?

Yeah, I clicked while the page was loading, then the options moved, so I clicked the wrong one. I MEANT to say Give it back.
  • W W Woodward 2012/09/10 19:18:20
    Give it back
    W W Woodward
    +4
    Knowingly keeping another's money without that person's effective consent is theft. Give it back!
    [W3]
  • dzzshadz 2012/09/10 18:51:20
    Give it back
    dzzshadz
    +1
    The cashier can get fired for not balancing at end of shifts. I give it back to be nice. What comes around go's around.
  • Jermaine Pollard 2012/09/10 18:30:51
    Give it back
    Jermaine Pollard
    +2
    I would hate to know that they lose their job as well as it being morally wrong.
  • Thomas G Towns 2012/09/10 18:13:02
    Give it back
    Thomas G Towns
    +2
    It seems to happen alot to me. I always point it out. I think maybe some of the cashiers are knocking the till and got mixed up Who knows. The local Dairy Quenn you would expect some blue eyed blond hair teenager but the help are all middle eastern guys. If you give them a 10 for a 3.50 bill they will give you $3.50 change. I caught it right away but when I was getting my right change a women drove up and said that she was short changed. A year later I went to the same DQ and I told my friends about the short change artist and sure enough they tried to pull the same trick. They have owned this DQ for 20 years how many times a day have they gotten away with this. I called the banco squad and the last time I went there was different counter help.WATCH OUT FOR THIS TRICK
  • cingular 2012/09/10 18:10:30
    Give it back
    cingular
    I usually don't count unless its large bills, But if they give me too much ill return it.
  • TJCannabis 2012/09/10 18:01:05
    Give it back
    TJCannabis
    +2
    I do not take things no matter, that do not belong to me!! I have always turned in anything money, jewelry or whatever that I have found or was given by mistake. I was raised to do the right thing!!
  • yabbadabbadoo 2012/09/10 18:00:12
    Take the money and run!
    yabbadabbadoo
    +1
    depends on the store and the employee
  • Sofahead 2012/09/10 17:45:00
    Give it back
    Sofahead
    If I'm deal with an actual person yes, with vending machines no. The vending machines at work have short changed by much more than I've been given in extra change.
  • Rachel Searvogel 2012/09/10 17:39:54
    Take the money and run!
    Rachel Searvogel
    +1
    Only because I don't check it. If they gave me too little that'd be on me too.
  • Daniel 2012/09/10 17:38:27
    Give it back
    Daniel
    I have an exception. If the cashier is paying attention to personal matters instead of the business at hand, or If I get attitude or disrespect.
  • John Galt 2012/09/10 17:31:08
    Give it back
    John Galt
    +2
    I've actually had to convince several cashiers that they had made a mistake (poor math skills these days). I get two reactions; first, one that indicates they would rather I kept the money then they look like they goofed, and second, they ask, "why would you return free money?"! They look at me like I have two heads.
  • Shae 2012/09/10 17:29:33
    Give it back
    Shae
    Tell them they made a mistake and give it back.
    I would hate for them to get into trouble.
  • TombstoneJim 2012/09/10 17:14:11
    Give it back
    TombstoneJim
    +1
    It's the right thing to do. Is your integrity really worth some change and a few small bills?
  • Dan 2012/09/10 17:11:13
    Give it back
    Dan
    +1
    I'm not a crook!
  • PeeDonkeyPit 2012/09/10 16:57:53
    Give it back
    PeeDonkeyPit
    +1
    If I discover it as they give me my change, I give it back. If I don't discover it there, once it mixes with all the crumpled cash in my pocket, I'm probably never going to know they've given me a "gift"...
  • Bob 2012/09/10 16:53:31
  • vaughnsimkins 2012/09/10 16:53:11
    Give it back
    vaughnsimkins
    +1
    I rather feel good about myself for a few moments, than feel deceptive for the rest of the day.
  • kid cleveland 2012/09/10 16:49:47
    Give it back
    kid cleveland
    +1
    I hope that when I make a mistake it is corrected an not used against me
  • charles nelson 2012/09/10 16:46:39
    Give it back
    charles nelson
    If I notice it but normally just glance at the change and trust the cashier. That was about 10 years ago, now its just debit/credit. Then when you have time when you get home, go to your bank online and check if everything was right. You can do it on your phone toO.
  • charles... charles... 2012/09/10 16:48:49
    charles nelson
    but that doesn't mean I trust anyone, you gotta be careful, there all out to rob you know.
  • cat 2012/09/10 16:44:37
    Give it back
    cat
    I have given money back loads of times. I have also asked for the right change when shorted.
  • Sunshine 2012/09/10 16:42:08
    Give it back
    Sunshine
    +1
    Absolutely -- give it back! Even if I had to drive back, if I found a mistake I WOULD RETURN THE MONEY. Character is determined by WHAT WE DO WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING. I AM responsible for my own actions. My STERNEST JUDGE is the one I look at each morning when I am applying my makeup. I brought up my 4 children the same way.
  • Jen S. 2012/09/10 16:41:42
    Give it back
    Jen S.
    This just happened to me yesterday morning! I stopped by CVS, bought a few things, and paid with a ten dollar bill. She accidently pushed $20 or something on the register, and gave me back a ten and two ones. At first I thought maybe I made the mistake and gave her a twenty, but I said "uh, are you sure I gave you a twenty?" and she looked down and we both saw a ten laying across the drawer. That poor woman could lose her job, or have to pay it back in to balance the drawer out. Anyone who takes the money and runs is extremely self centered. It would be so cruel to do that to someone who works as a cashier - it's not like they make a lot of money and they are on their feet all day.
  • Mr.Right 2012/09/10 16:38:59
    Take the money and run!
    Mr.Right
    +1
    Used to give it back, now I take the money and ...walk at a normal pace. It usually evens out, I've been shortchanged more times than I can remember but I don't generally discover it until I've gone home.
  • Jen S. Mr.Right 2012/09/10 16:45:16
    Jen S.
    +2
    So, since you've been shortchanged by people, you're going to take it out on others who had nothing to do with it? You're not taking it out on the store, you're taking it out on the employee who has done nothing to you. Obviously you've been shortchanged by your parents who failed to raise you with decent morals.
  • Shadow_... Jen S. 2012/09/10 19:05:23
    Shadow_Wolf
    +1
    It's his choice, if you can't pay attention it's your fault. You make a mistake you pay for it, that's the way I see it at least.
  • Mr.Right Jen S. 2012/09/12 15:03:53
    Mr.Right
    Don't judge me you hypocritical scumbag. You forgot one thing, at lest I'm honest about what i do, which is more than i can say about you, a person who you says one thing for public consumption but is actually lying about it. And don't you dare attack my parents. They were quite strict actually (but fair) and had higher morals than anyone you would ever meet. Also, you obviously missed the nuance and the tongue and cheek aspect of my statement, so you seem to appear to be a cretin of some sort. YOU'RE the one who was shortchanged! You want to go? Let's go!
  • sami Mr.Right 2012/09/10 21:32:15
    sami
    The only thing is the checker might get in trouble for making a mistake ... Try and check before you leave so you can catch a mistake that is in the store's favor ... The checker can also get written up for that too ...
  • Mr.Right sami 2012/09/12 15:04:54
  • aukje 2012/09/10 16:36:57
    Give it back
    aukje
    +1
    Unless I don't notice, or notice at home.
  • Dana 2012/09/10 16:31:25 (edited)
    Give it back
    Dana
    +1
    How can anyone say they would take it? Morals and integrity are severely lacking there.
  • Mr.Right Dana 2012/09/10 16:48:36
    Mr.Right
    +1
    Well, those who say they would take it are at least honest. The most likely scenario is taking it but stating on this "survey" that they would give it back. Their morals and integrity are even lower. I'm not defending the person who "takes" the money I'm just being honest about what people do. You are right about morals and integrity being severely lacking these days, just look at our politicians. It's sad, but I've found that those with no morals and no integrity are usually the heads of organizations (CEOs and the like); they are the most successful (financially) among us. This is not an endorsement, just a statement of fact.
  • Dana Mr.Right 2012/09/10 19:16:29 (edited)
    Dana
    Sadly you are right about those you stated. But for me, I would return it right there and I have made it to the car and found out something I have in the bag was not charged, and I take it right back in and say so. This is not just right for me, it shows responsibility for my kids too. Anyone who "takes" something they have not earned or paid for, is lacking in integrity and honesty.
  • jim.cap... Mr.Right 2012/09/10 19:33:47
    jim.caputo.35
    You're honesty about being a thief doesn't offset the fact that you're a thief. You're part of what's wrong with this country and you're certainly not setting an example that anyone else should follow.
  • DnB Babe Mr.Right 2012/09/10 23:50:29 (edited)
    DnB Babe
    yeah, there are sooooooooooo many good people in the world! I believe only nuns and jehova witnesses would really give it back.
  • wgossett99 2012/09/10 16:23:42
    Give it back
    wgossett99
    Why is this even a question? It's the right thing to do.
  • DnB Babe wgossett99 2012/09/10 23:53:24
    DnB Babe
    lol

2014/12/22 11:16:23