What Do You Do When a Cashier Gives You Too Much Change Back?

What can we say? We're gaga over groceries! While we shop for our favorite snacks at the store, we often wonder if our grocery store etiquette is the same as others. Do most people sneak in samples at the candy bins while deciding whether or not they're going to buy the goods? What do you do when the cashier gives you too much change? And is it normal to go grocery shopping three times a week? We're finally going to find out.

Take our 8-question "Gaga Over Groceries" survey to have your vote count in the stats -- and have fun shopping!

• Free Thinker For Life 2013/09/29 10:22:55
    Give it back
    Free Thinker For Life
    Its just the right things to do. Also, karma is a bitch.
  • jenny 2013/08/12 04:37:09
    Give it back
    jenny
    This actually happened to me this evening at a local Walmart my husband bought some Tylenol it came to five dollars and he paid with a $20 the cashier thought he gave her a $100 bill so she gave him $95 in change when he got home he took the money out of his pocket and realized her mistake so we went right back up to Walmart and told the manager and gave back the cash we wouldn't have felt right if she lost her job
  • peter 2013/02/08 17:19:33
    Take the money and run!
    peter
    this actually happened to me at a bank, the cashier gave me £20 too much. i kept silent and walked out then spent it . thanks very much
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/10/07 19:11:53
    Give it back
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    usually. unless i dont like them.
  • Dave 007 2012/10/07 15:32:20
    Give it back
    Dave 007
    it's more like "How quickly do you tell the cashier that he/she didn't give you the full amount of change back"?
  • slushie suicide 2012/10/04 16:53:28
    Give it back
    slushie suicide
    only if you find out b$ you make it outside
  • Ana Henriques 2012/09/30 01:12:34
    Give it back
    Ana Henriques
    I have the right to demand the correct amount if I get a lower change back, and I have the duty to give back if I get a higher one. Plain and simple.
  • Drug Free 2012/09/28 01:09:11
    Give it back
    Drug Free
    I have had it happen before and I gave back the money while the cashier was wondering what I was doing.
    I said to the girl: "Is this your way of telling me you like me?"
  • Cat 2012/09/27 21:23:29
    Give it back
    Cat
    Keeping it is stealing.
  • Riku Xander 2012/09/21 23:20:44
    Give it back
    Riku Xander
    I've even done this when purchasing condoms...
  • Joseph Mallery 2012/09/14 00:57:24
    Take the money and run!
    Joseph Mallery
    I only take the money by accident. I don't check for the correct amount, I just put it into my wallet and continue with my day.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/09/13 09:27:47
    Give it back
    ruthannhausman
    Matter of fact, just recently, lady at Circle K gave me change for a 20 when I only paid with a $10 bill and I corrected her and gave her back the excess. And I was broke and could have used that $10 extra. But that's just like stealing in my mind. And somebody eventually has to pay for it. I certainly would feel horrible if I walked out knowing I had taken that ten bucks and then found out the lady had to pay it out of her own pocket. But even if the store "absorbs" the loss, eventually they have to make it up by raising prices somewhere, so we all end up paying for it.

I have been known on more than one occasion to get home and put my purchases away and find out I wasn't charged for something or I was not charged enough and I've driven back to the store and shown them the mistake and made them ring it up and then I paid for it.

One year I went to Sears Christmas shopping and bought a bunch of items at different counters. I think the total was around $210 or something like that. I always monitored my credit card statements closely and after receiving three statements and not getting billed for those purchases, I called Sears up and asked them to check my account and see if I was going to get billed. The lady checked and got back on the line and told me there was...

One year I went to Sears Christmas shopping and bought a bunch of items at different counters. I think the total was around $210 or something like that. I always monitored my credit card statements closely and after receiving three statements and not getting billed for those purchases, I called Sears up and asked them to check my account and see if I was going to get billed. The lady checked and got back on the line and told me there was no record of my purchases. I then itemized what I had bought and gave her the register totals. Do you know it took over three phone transfers to higher-up managers and almost one hour to get Sears to put those purchases on my account? I couldn't believe it. One lady told me to "take the Christmas present from Sears."

And to tell you the truth, $210 was a lot of money to me at that time. But as I told the ladies on the phone, that would be just like walking in with a gun and holding up the clerk and stealing the merchandise. And it really bothered me that it was so hard to get them to do the right thing. Shocking, to say the least.
  • Cuthbert Allsgood 2012/09/12 21:36:55
    Give it back
    Cuthbert Allsgood
    +1
    I've ran registers and keeping a balanced register is the employees responsibility. I'm not about to try to rip them off for a simple mistake that anyone could make.
  • MS PRUD 2012/09/12 21:24:46
    Give it back
    MS PRUD
    I understand they have to make up the difference from their cash register if they are short.
  • Boss 2012/09/12 19:11:57
    Give it back
    Boss
    happened 2 days ago..I paid with atm and cashier handed me the whole amount of the sale ...in cash. she was shocked when I told her what she did..however twice , Ive kept the extra $$$ given when the cashiers insisted they were right...
  • Tom 2012/09/12 15:41:25
    Give it back
    Tom
    Wow!!! Almost 1/4 said they would take the money and run.
    Shows you the mentality of entitlement in the nation today.
  • debhead 2012/09/12 04:48:37
    Give it back
    debhead
    Its not mine!
  • rcardon 2012/09/11 17:44:41
    Give it back
    rcardon
    My mother taught me to be honest and to give it back when people give you too much change. Usually they'll tell you to just keep it, but then it's them being generous, not a mistake.
  • laurenboelsche 2012/09/11 16:50:01
    Take the money and run!
    laurenboelsche
    +1
    I wouldn't 'run' lol But you assume the person that counts change all day is counting it back correctly. I know I've been a cashier myself and mistakes happen! But most customers didn't check my work after I give them their change so if they walk out that's on me.
  • Fran 2012/09/11 15:24:58
    Give it back
    Fran
    +1
    Most importantly, I would hate for someone to lose their job from giving me too much money so I always give it back. My other reason is for Karma. I've lost so much money in my life from dropping it or putting down my wallet in a store or someone just stealing from me. So I know how it feels.
  • weenyboy 2012/09/11 15:08:46
    Give it back
    weenyboy
    +1
    The extra few bucks would mean little to me BUT could cost this person a JOB! i always believe that what goes around, comes around. Having honor and integrity costs so very little... i have actuallty returned to a store if the clerk messed up.
  • art1ej 2012/09/11 15:03:49
    Take the money and run!
    art1ej
    Its only happened afew times & i never noticed but if i did id say so.....
  • jacktown kid 2012/09/11 14:58:42
    Give it back
    jacktown kid
    Give it back
  • Tina 2012/09/11 13:12:17
    Take the money and run!
    Tina
    I probably wouldn't notice, I just shove money into my purse quickly and get out of the way, I am probably short changed a lot though, I know some people I shop with, claim I've been under changed, but the reason I don't check is because check out workers get impatient with me as I have dyscalculia and it takes a while for me to count it all, so nowadays I don't bother!
  • Caue Rego 2012/09/11 11:10:24 (edited)
    Take the money and run!
    Caue Rego
    "give it back", right... what you do when you're alone at home and what you say you do are also two different things and one is a lie.

in all truth, if at the time I feel that money will be missed, I *may* give it back. if you are a cashier, you should already count in those times where little mistakes will be made and that money actually comes from the company. of course that's already counted in. your salary already counts that in and you should know it.

but, let's define "too much". $2 isn't too much. $200 is. anything in the middle is disputed. if a cashier gives me $200 as a change back, in my religion, I'm doing him/her a favor getting him/her fired by keeping the money. some times your job just isn't right for you. if you want to do charity, give that money to someone who needs it later on. though that's usually myself.
  • stevmackey 2012/09/11 10:09:55
    Give it back
    stevmackey
    +2
    It has happened many times. If you do not give it back the will show a shortage. The most grateful was a bank teller that gave me $20. She did not wrinkle the new bills and two stuck together.
  • Gerald 2012/09/11 08:37:29 (edited)
    Give it back
    Gerald
    "What Do You Do When a Cashier Gives You Too Much Change Back?"
    The question should be reworded to: "Are you a low-life, thieving, POS scumbag, or NOT?
    The money isn't mine, so I return it. I don't want to get some poor, minimum wage slave in trouble for having a short count/drawer. I am also a strong believer in Karma, do unto others, what goes around, comes around, etc. If you don't return the money, you deserve to 1 day lose your wallet, full of money, IDs, credit cards, etc. Then hopefully you'll be repaid NOT by somebody returning it (because it's not theirs), but "rewarded" instead with a nice, costly case of identity theft & maxed out credit cards & maybe even a home burglary (since the finder has your address). :-D
  • Ana Hen... Gerald 2012/09/30 01:15:56
    Ana Henriques
    The questions is supposed to be humoristic, I guess. Also many people don't actually check the change back and can go away without noticing.
  • Empathic 2012/09/11 07:36:13
    Give it back
    Empathic
    I always give it back if I am aware of it, but I am also careful to check that I haven't been short-changed and I will be assertive if I believe it was intentional. The frequency of short change from certain places suggests it is sometimes a dishonest way of increasing profit through small increments.

However, there was one time when I didn't return overpaid change. I paid entry for live music at a bar, $15 it was I think, which I paid for with a $20 note and stuffed the $5 change into my pocket. I then walked to the bar to buy a drink and the band announced "this is our last song, goodnight and thanks for coming". I was annoyed that I had been charged the full amount for live music that was just ending, and I intended to challenge the bar people. First though I had to pay for the drink. When I took the money out of my pocket, in the improved lighting by the bar I saw it was a $100 note instead of a $5 note (both being reddish colours in NZ). I decided, though some might disapprove, that it was reasonable compensation for dishonestly charging me in the first place.
  • El Prez 2012/09/11 07:26:50
    Give it back
    El Prez
    +2
    Not good. The cashier has to make up the difference in many places. If you know it then you need to give it back.
  • lizard7 2012/09/11 06:40:52
    Give it back
    lizard7
    +1
    I've never had that happen before but when it does I will give the money back
  • me 2012/09/11 06:29:37
    Give it back
    me
    +1
    I've really never had that happen getting too much change back, not that I noticed anyway. I check dollars in change but usually just dump the metal change in my purse.

But one of my favorite things is a story about something similar. I love this happened, actually. It was like payback for all the surly, snotty store clerks, EVER. I was buying tulip bulbs that were on sale at the supermarket, 10 for $1 which is VERY cheap for tulip bulbs. I went wild and filled ten bags with several varieties, using the ten bags to keep the varieties separate, but there were more than ten bulbs in some bags. I tried to explain that to the checkout clerk but she was having a conversation with someone else while ringing out my order. There were a total of about 290 bulbs with 15 bulbs in some bags, 5 in others, 10, 20, 25 in others, and so forth. Again the bags just for my own benefit to keep the varieties separate. I told the clerk the exact number of bulbs and asked her if she needed to take them all out and count them. But the clerk was still only half paying attention and only charged me $1. I said no, that can't be right...and she immediately assumed I meant that she had charged me too much and started arguing with me in a snotty way. 10 for a $1 she said, what's the problem? I tried ag...

But one of my favorite things is a story about something similar. I love this happened, actually. It was like payback for all the surly, snotty store clerks, EVER. I was buying tulip bulbs that were on sale at the supermarket, 10 for $1 which is VERY cheap for tulip bulbs. I went wild and filled ten bags with several varieties, using the ten bags to keep the varieties separate, but there were more than ten bulbs in some bags. I tried to explain that to the checkout clerk but she was having a conversation with someone else while ringing out my order. There were a total of about 290 bulbs with 15 bulbs in some bags, 5 in others, 10, 20, 25 in others, and so forth. Again the bags just for my own benefit to keep the varieties separate. I told the clerk the exact number of bulbs and asked her if she needed to take them all out and count them. But the clerk was still only half paying attention and only charged me $1. I said no, that can't be right...and she immediately assumed I meant that she had charged me too much and started arguing with me in a snotty way. 10 for a $1 she said, what's the problem? I tried again, I said, yes, they are but that's not for all of them, there's more than one in each bag!. Then she counted the BAGS for me. The BAGS! 1, 2, 3, 4---all the way to 10, very "patiently" She was charging me ten BAGS for $1. And acting like I was the stupid one.

I tried a bit longer to get it to sink in but she got surly and said she'd call the manager to explain to me what 10 for $1 means. THEN the guy behind me with the case of Old Milwaukee put in his two cents and said "C'mon, lady, what's your PROBLEM anyway, geez, how hard is it, 10 for a freakin dollar! That's 10 cents apiece! DUH!" So, I made the only rational decision. I said "no, no, don't call the manager, I get it now." I paid my $1 and gathered up my 10 bags of bulbs of 290 bulbs thinking I would have packed a lot more bulbs into those ten bags had I only known and wondering if I could go back and do it again. On the way out, I paused for a minute by the tulip bulb bins where a couple ladies were filling bags and told them if they put them in 10 bags, the girl at checkout 4 would charge them ten bags for a $1 and showed them my receipt. They had NO trouble understanding what I said. I think one lady had about thirty bulbs in each bag before I even got done with the story and the other one got on her cell phone to call her gardening friends. It was truly one of the most satisfying experiences. ;-)
  • Edwin 2012/09/11 06:11:52
    Give it back
    Edwin
    I wonder how many of the "give it back" people are really being honest...

I do, though there are times I don't. I've found that sometimes giving back the extra dime is actually MORE work for everyone involved -- they look at you like you are on drugs and don't even understand what you're saying. Sometimes they call their manager over, thinking you are making a complaint. In cases like that I usually let it go.
  • me Edwin 2012/09/11 06:39:13
    me
    +1
    I've really never noticed anyone giving me back too much change. But I think you'll enjoy the story I posted about being charged too little, if you get the chance. Its so similar to what you wrote. 8-) I also had a drive thru teller at a bank give me too much when I was withdrawing cash. It was $20 too much. I said I think you made a mistake. She snapped "We don't make mistakes here". I said "Okay". She called me at home within two hours when she came up $20 short. She wasn't too snippy then. I resisted the urge to say, no, I don't think so, you convinced me that it was MY mistake in thinking you had made one. But the tulip bulbs story is better.
  • Marianne 2012/09/11 06:09:53
    Give it back
    Marianne
    I lately corrected one with a smiling comment who gave out to much money.
  • us 2012/09/11 04:43:22
    Give it back
    us
    I always give it back. I remember one time at christmas time, I went to the store, on accident the cashier gave me a extra $10.00 so I went back and gave it back.
  • wamcalif 2012/09/11 04:02:35
    Give it back
    wamcalif
    I try not to embarass the cashier when handing it back. I've been on the other side of the counter. Nobody wants their drawer to come up short.
  • dennisg40 2012/09/11 03:48:29
    Give it back
    dennisg40
    I never have money coming back paying with a debit card but if they gave me too much in return I would give it back because they are poor just like I am and I don't want to see anyone fired over a little crap like that.
  • clh1 2012/09/11 03:20:13
    Give it back
    clh1
    Do the rite thing... Please
  • clew 2012/09/11 01:49:42
    Give it back
    clew
    You are stealing if you take the money. It also causes the cost of things to go up.

2014/09/22 02:14:26