What are some tips for riding a Greyhound bus alone for a long distance?

Joanie 2010/06/02 21:04:39
I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon on a Greyhound bus to Texas. I live in Iowa, so it's gonna be a 26 hour ride with changes in Des Moines, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Dallas. I'm going alone, and I've never done this on my own before. I want some good ol' Sodahead advice! moines kansas city oklahoma city dallas ive ol sodahead advice moines kansas city oklahoma city dallas ive ol sodahead advice moines kansas city oklahoma city dallas ive ol sodahead advice

• dontwasteyourmoney 2012/12/02 03:03:57
    dontwasteyourmoney
    +10
    bring a can of air freshener, busses stink and sometimes ppl dont bathe, one bus ran over a skunk for example, ppl thanked me it was all into the vent system...another time was this guy pissed into a 40oz beer bottle and was drinking it, he managed to spill it on the floor and it smelled bad, he hadnt taken his meds and had mental issues so the next stop they called ahead to have him checked into a mental hospital

dontwasteyourmoney
    +10
  • CHEECH 2012/02/11 15:58:46
    CHEECH
    something to read or some music to listen to or if u r like me plenty of snaks for the trip or just sleep nothing else that can be said other then chat with the peiople u r traveling with by that i mean the other passengers to past the time away
  • CHEECH 2010/06/20 01:26:55
    CHEECH
    i took many a greyhound bus in my 20's and i think its just to find yourself a nice spot on the bus sit back with some music and just chill dont get anybetter then that ok so enjoy the ride and relax ok bus 20s spot bus music chill anybetter enjoy ride relax bus 20s spot bus music chill anybetter enjoy ride relax
  • Beer30 2010/06/02 21:53:34
    Beer30
    +1
    Twenty-six hours aboard that ole Grey Dawg is going to be a grind.

But it can be a great adventure, too. As our friends suggest, bring along some snacks, some tunes, and a good book if you'd like. Strike up a conversation with some of your seatmates ~~ it'll make the miles go lots faster if you have someone to talk to.

And of course, watch your back and keep an eye on your stuff, especially at the layovers.
    Happy Trails,,,,,
  • Joanie Beer30 2010/06/02 21:59:48
    Joanie
    +1
    thankeeee!
  • gray ghost 2010/06/02 21:36:00
    gray ghost
    +1
    Try to stay within sight of other passengers,don't be flashing money,be suspicious of overly friendly people,try to stay awake as much as you can and I would suggest a canister of mace.I've traveled quite a lot on buses and I've met some really nice people,than again I've run across some unsavory types.Take care and have a nice trip.
  • Joanie gray ghost 2010/06/02 22:00:26
    Joanie
    thank you so much
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2010/06/02 21:22:25
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    I took many a greyhound in my teen years as I traveled to Youth Conferences several times a year.

Bring something to read, now we have Ipods so if you have tunes that's more than we had. You might want to bring a few snacks and water. Watch your back and your stuff in the bus stations as there normally not in the greatest parts of town. They haven't moved to new locations in most cities so in many places they aren't in the best section. Don't plan on sleeping in a bus station if you can help it and if you have to then make sure the bus station ticket agents are watching out for you just to have someone watching your back. Again, watch your stuff. If little kids are running around just don't let your guard down as little kids are real good at distraction and grab and running....with your stuff right out the door.

Try more day traveling but be real careful with night travel, especially at the bus stops. Put any spending money in a separate pocket so you aren't bringing out your whole wallet into plain site as there can be pick pockets watching, garbage happens and this can be common in some places.

Don't act like a tourist that is all in awe over any new sites...enjoy the view but don't stand out...that just makes a target.

I've been to that bus station above...more than...

I've been to that bus station above...more than once heading south from Seattle to Portland or California.....and it looked the same then.

Just watch your back and those around you. Strangers might seem really nice but a girl traveling alone is not the same as in the days when I was young and it wasn't real safe then and I innocently put myself in close situations. Once I had to hide in the ladies room at night because of a guy kept saying he'd get me a hotel room....I was wise enough to stay away from him and that was in the 70's.
  • Joanie Hula gi... 2010/06/02 21:28:27
    Joanie
    AHHHHH! Oh. My. God. If you are a praying woman please pray for me!
  • Hula gi... Joanie 2010/06/02 21:36:19 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    I didn't want to scare you that was not my intent. The intent is to be aware of your surrounds as bus travel or any travel for a girl alone is different than with someone. I've traveled all over the world alone as a women but remember those teen years and am thankful I was cautious. People just aren't the same these days.

Bus rides are a good time to wear a money belt or one of the money hiding pockets that go around you neck inside your clothes and only keep a small amount in a wallet or purse. Keep ID and any valuable in the hideaway.

They work and they are great for a girl traveling by yourself. If your purse just might get snatch or (looked into) when you fall asleep on the bus by the person you don't know sitting next to you then you are protected.

girl traveling purse snatch looked fall asleep bus person protected girl traveling purse snatch looked fall asleep bus person protected girl traveling purse snatch looked fall asleep bus person protected
  • Joanie Hula gi... 2010/06/02 22:02:10
    Joanie
    +1
    very good plan...thanks!
  • Dragoness Hula gi... 2010/06/02 22:46:12
    Dragoness
    +3
    All good tips. I just wanted to add, if you feel yourself getting drowsy on the bus strap your stuff to you so that no one can easily walk away with it, or dig inside it. Try and sit near the driver but on the passenger side. Try to be the first on the bus and last off and keep your things with you at all times, even if you go to the bathroom. Things like a pillow not such a big deal... but your purse etc is. Also, pack a small bottle of febreeze or something like that in your purse, if you need it (and you likely will) you will thank me later. Also a travel size thing of hand sanitizer and clorox wipes for toilet seats, handles things like that and small pack of baby wipes for your hands or whatever. I also suggest a pillow case to cover the headrest of the seat for both comfort and cleanliness.

Just be aware or your surroundings, try not to look confused or in awe as stated above and if you are confused ask for help from someone official like security if possible. Another young person traveling alone might be a good companion and you can look out for each other, I met one of my best friends that way :)
  • Dragoness Dragoness 2010/06/02 22:58:24
    Dragoness
    +2
    Oh and also a few small first aid items for yourself like bandaids and neosporin. Sounds stupid, but I had kids now and always take those things in my purse and I can't tell you how often they come in handy both for the kids but for myself and also sometimes for strangers who find themselves needing a bandaid. A few safety pins are good too, you never know. I wish I had been smart enough to pack my bag o many wonders when i was younger, I didn't figure it out till near 30! I now keep things like a small sewing kit, bandaids, extra hair ties, tweezers, a tiny flashlight. tylenol etc in my purse. Doesn't take much room and when you are by yourself on a trip its cheaper to have those things than to find yourself buying them in a mini-mart. It sounds like a lot, but my personal bag o wonders fits in a eye glasses pouch and has saved my butt many times.
  • Hula gi... Dragoness 2010/06/03 01:29:57
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    I have a tiny travel size pack of toilet seat covers that come in a small pack and a tiny roll of travel toilet paper that come in the travel section. They are always in my travel bag as I've learned my lesson too many times.
  • Joanie Dragoness 2010/06/10 21:10:22
    Joanie
    awesome tips! The trip went really well! I used that febreeze trick several times to squash the smell of b.o. and tacos.
  • Dragoness Joanie 2010/06/18 18:22:26
    Dragoness
    LOL, the BO thing is what I was thinking of. Or hippies drenched in that perchule (sp?) oil?
  • I. Car Rus 2010/06/02 21:20:17
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    Dramamine. Nah, just kidding. I hate that crap. How about a cheap digital camera taking random shots of things along the way? The "Rainman" way. nah kidding hate crap cheap digital camera random shots rainman
  • Joanie I. Car Rus 2010/06/02 21:22:57
    Joanie
    +1
    Love that idea! I will definitely be "Rainmanning it" . Maybe I'll actually pack some juice boxes too. hehe.
  • Melizmatic 2010/06/02 21:14:26
    Melizmatic
    When the bus stops, do not wander far from the terminal; get what you need and get back on the bus. Keep your purse with you at all times.

You'll do fine; I've traveled both cross country and out of the country by myself many times.

You just need to be aware of your surroundings and be sure to avoid anyone who seems sketchy.
  • Joanie Melizmatic 2010/06/02 21:19:10
    Joanie
    +1
    good plan...I will probably just keep to myself :)
  • Gun665 2010/06/02 21:10:49
  • Joanie Gun665 2010/06/02 21:18:29
    Joanie
    +1
    that's fantastic thanks!!
  • Gun665 Joanie 2010/06/02 21:20:04
  • Joanie Gun665 2010/06/02 21:23:49
    Joanie
    +1
    what an awesome idea....I never thought of that!
  • Gun665 Joanie 2010/06/02 22:28:07

2014/10/25 01:29:54