What are some non prescription choices for antidepressants?

Sour Dime 2013/01/07 21:00:45
I'm drawing the line at my depression affecting my relationship something needs to be done but I don't want to see a doctor about it.

• Tattoo Nana 2013/02/06 04:18:45
    Tattoo Nana
    My oldest daughter fights depresion and has all her life. She was in the military and didn't want them to know so she tried ALL types of non-drug fixes. Fact is, they just don't work very well. Depression is an established medical condition, it is a lack of necessary brain function. This is fixed WITH medication. I would definitely encourage you to see a real doctor, even your family doctor. There are many very good anti-depressents on the market now, that have less of the undesireable side affects. Please don't look at depression as a stigma that is negative, it is a REAL, Medical condition. Take care of yourself, and investigate all your options - some of the OTC things will help and sometimes you simply need medication, nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Sour Dime Tattoo ... 2013/02/06 09:54:28
    Sour Dime
    +1
    I can't help but to feel embarrassed and my mom would just take blame because of family drama she helped cause and she doesn't really need that when the truth is I have felt this way since late elementary but she always put it off to hormones but nothing has changed and I'll be twenty this year. I think I may even be too embarrassed to go to my family doctor.
  • Tattoo ... Sour Dime 2013/02/06 12:45:41
    Tattoo Nana
    Please don't be embarrassed to go to the doctor! That is something the docs see everyday, and surely they will be able to help you. And since your 20, the doctor is not allowed to tell your mom anything about your visit. So you could just tell her you're going to the doctor to maybe get your annual pap smear or that you have a sore throat. The doctor is NOT allowed by law to say anything at all to your parents, so don't worry about what your mom will think. It's more important at this stage of the game that YOU look out for yourself!
  • Teri- Oregon 2013/02/04 19:29:44
    Teri- Oregon
    st.johns wart
  • Pam 2013/02/04 11:39:27
    Pam
    St. johns wort has been used for depression
  • YourCompanionCube 2013/01/15 03:59:53
    YourCompanionCube
    I'm sorry, when *Antidepressants* cause "Thoughts of Suicide" there's a serious problem.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2013/01/08 06:40:50
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Friends, family, love, a dog, hobbies, etc...

Things to put your energy into can do wonders. Take it from someone who knows.
  • Sour Dime Beat Ma... 2013/01/08 07:04:39
    Sour Dime
    I have all of those but a hobby.
  • JGF 2013/01/08 03:13:00
    JGF
    +1
    A thoroughly non-PC answer - marijuana. It works.
  • Sour Dime JGF 2013/01/08 03:28:24
    Sour Dime
    Not if I'm job hunting.
  • Straud1976 2013/01/08 00:13:16
    Straud1976
    You should search herbal remedies first, then if they don't work after a couple months see your doctor, Vitamin D might help,Rhodiola rosea , St. John's Wort,Omega-3 fatty acids search herbal depression remedies on Google.
  • Debra Smith 2013/01/07 23:26:12
  • Sour Dime Debra S... 2013/01/07 23:31:55
    Sour Dime
    Tried it I just end up crying and hating myself.
  • Debra S... Sour Dime 2013/01/07 23:44:52 (edited)
  • Sour Dime Debra S... 2013/01/08 02:13:13
    Sour Dime
    I tried journalling, I felt self hate for the things I let myself do and lonliness for how lonely I was. I felt grief for the people I have lost and am losing. All of the things I feel are all so negative and I can't stand it and to write them out makes them even more real.
  • Debra S... Sour Dime 2013/01/08 09:16:21 (edited)
  • kobidobidog 2013/01/07 23:24:53 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    All now a good kind of Chiropractic to help to keep sysmtoms at bay, and prevent them in the first place. www.upcspine.com. and upper cervical health centers. People need to be taught about them in school. There are people masquerading as one . . People need to be educated.
  • say what? 2013/01/07 22:37:47
    say what?
    +1
    Eat right, spend more time outdoors, get plenty of exercise and think about other people and stuff instead of yourself. Find a noble cause and direct your thoughts and actions toward that.
  • Sour Dime say what? 2013/01/07 22:38:43
    Sour Dime
    +2
    So much easier said than done.
  • Arya 2013/01/07 22:37:02
    Arya
    +1
    I've tried several herbal remedies for depression and they simply don't work. You really do need to see a physician and get the proper medication. Life is too short to live it depressed. There's no shame in taking an anti-depressant.
  • John 2013/01/07 22:30:37
    John
    +1
    Just from my own experience, natural remedies are useless. If you want to get the job done you need to see a real doctor and take real medication.
  • lyle 2013/01/07 22:24:39
    lyle
    inner child work
  • Sour Dime lyle 2013/01/07 22:33:49
    Sour Dime
    +1
    Please elaborate.
  • lyle Sour Dime 2013/01/08 01:59:10
    lyle
    it's very powerful stuff to resolve old issues.......free your mind.....................taskes work
  • Jack's Pearl 2013/01/07 22:01:29
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    If you have a clinical imbalance the only thing to do is go on prescribed medication. I am treated for bipolar and ever since have been much better. Otherwise, counseling may help. It could be a stressor situation that you aren't sure how to handle or something like that, that is making you depressed.
  • Neilapam 2013/01/07 21:27:07
    Neilapam
    i dont think theres non prescriptions for antidepressants
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2013/01/07 21:25:11
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    If you have SAD, light therapy can help. There are several legit sites on web on how to help yourself without harming yourself.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/hea...
  • Sour Dime ♒ßεllεc... 2013/01/07 21:37:52
    Sour Dime
    Therapy costs I have about $200 to my name that may be enough for one session.
  • ♒ßεllεc... Sour Dime 2013/01/07 22:07:49
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    With light therapy, all you have to do is buy the light and plug it in at your home....then sit under it for a specific amount of time per day.
  • Rustie 2013/01/07 21:15:59
    Rustie
    Force yourself to smile (it actually does release endorphins in the brain and you do feel better).

Get at least an hour and a half of sunshine a day.

Drink plenty of water (a nice long piss always makes me happy)
  • Sour Dime Rustie 2013/01/07 21:18:11
    Sour Dime
    I smile anyways so people don't think I'm weird for being sad, there isn't sunshine this time of year in Washington.
  • Rustie Sour Dime 2013/01/07 21:26:39
    Rustie
    They sell ultraviolet glasses specifically for areas with low amounts of sunshine.
    ultraviolet glasses
  • Pam 2013/01/07 21:08:22
    Pam
    +2
    St. John's Wort is good to start with but seriously you need to see a doc about this. It may even be hormonal.
  • Sour Dime Pam 2013/01/07 21:09:35
    Sour Dime
    +1
    I was just looking at St John's Worth and was tempted but I'm not sure cause it said it only really helps for minor cases.
  • ehrhornp 2013/01/07 21:05:44
    ehrhornp
    +1
    You should go and see your doctor. Depression can be caused by conditions that can easily be fixed. Good luck.

Do you have any thoughts on why you are depressed?
  • Sour Dime ehrhornp 2013/01/07 21:10:53
    Sour Dime
    +1
    I'd rather not, and no it just hits me year round like a wave but it's particularly bad in the winter, I started to notice this year right after christmas.
  • ray Sour Dime 2013/01/07 21:32:05 (edited)
    ray
    Are you familiar with seasonal depression due to light ?

Light therapy promising for treating major depression
    "The results of the trial showed those given bright light therapy made improvements over the controls, and the improvements were comparable to the use of antidepressant drugs. Improvements were measured using the standard Hamilton Scale for Depression. The light-therapy group also showed an increased level in the evening of the sleep-promoting hormone, melatonin, and a decrease in levels of cortisol, the stress hormone."
    Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2011-01-...

Light Therapy for Depression
    Antidepressants like Prozac and Paxil are widely used to treat depression, but a much less costly alternative called bright light therapy, in which a patient sits under an artificial light for a set period of time each day, is not. Light therapy is typically recommended for seasonal affective disorder, the “winter blues” brought on by shorter days and limited sun. Some psychiatrists prescribe it for this condition, often as a last resort when patients fail to respond to drugs.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...

Edit: the cautions for Medical advice
    Light Therapies For Depression
    (revised 3/2012)
    (Don't do this on your own. There are risks, described below. But these risks are almost cer...

Light Therapy for Depression
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...

Edit: the cautions for Medical advice
    Light Therapies For Depression
    (revised 3/2012)
    (Don't do this on your own. There are risks, described below. But these risks are almost certainly much smaller than those of medication approaches.
    http://www.psycheducation.org...
  • Sour Dime ray 2013/01/07 21:39:06
    Sour Dime
    +1
    I am, it helps my mom out so she closes the blinds when it is raining or cloudy out which means less natural light for me.
  • ray Sour Dime 2013/01/07 22:13:33
    ray
    Light box therapy , Negative ion generators , St. Johns wart all have supporting evidence . Single answer may not be available.
    Winter blues affect millions. The final solution remains elusive .

Other thoughts are if you care to experiment a little are
    Iionic light bulbs . They clean the air in a room of dust and smoke to help alleviate air born particles, dust and germs .
    ( seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?... )
    or
    Himalayan salt Chrystal lamps which are said to do the same thing
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Him...

I agree with you about the drugs
    Why antidepressants are simply a confidence trick: A leading psychologist claims taking sugar pills would work just as well
    http://www.cchrint.org/2010/0...
    Antidepressant Drugs and the Placebo Effect Make Headlines
    http://alert.psychiatricnews....
  • ehrhornp Sour Dime 2013/01/07 21:41:47
    ehrhornp
    +1
    I see you are in Washington. That can be very depressing with the short days and rainy weather. My brother was glad when he graduated from Oregon. But soon spring and summer will come and there is nothing more beautiful than a sunny day in the north west.

2014/09/01 07:35:51