What are some nice things to do for a family whose house caught fire?

SparkleyPie 2008/12/31 22:11:18
One of my neighbors' house caught fire yesterday morning. It's not completely burned to the ground, and everyone got out safely.

I'm looking for ideas for nice things to do for them considering their great loss. I'm going to bake them a couple of pies and maybe a lasagna. Food is always a nice idea. But, that doesn't feel like enough.

What would you do if it was your neighbor?

• Von Douche Sparkle... 2009/01/01 19:14:30
    Von Douche
    +1
    Yeah.........we're in Eastern Pa and North Jersey..........Sorry
  • 1014589 2009/01/01 15:12:11
  • Kack 2009/01/01 14:05:09
    I would do this...
    Kack
    +6
    I would do gift cards to places like Wal-Mart, Target, their grocery store, etc. If they have small children or pets, I would offer free babysitting services.
  • debbie 2009/01/01 13:50:37
    I would do this...
    debbie
    +4
    the best thing to do is to give gift certificates that way they can get exactly what they need.i the mean time it would help to make a few meals for them.and be there when they need a shoulder to cry on. it's a very devastating thing to have to go thru.
  • Wayne 2009/01/01 10:30:01
    I would do this...
    Wayne
    +4
    Gift certificate from Home Depot or Lowes
  • Loreli 2009/01/01 06:30:55
    Here's my idea...
    Loreli
    +3
    It's always nice to offer babysitting for the kids so adults can run errands, take care of business regarding the fire, etc.. If they had pets you could offer to take care of them for a bit. I donated a couch to some friends that lost their home last winter.. a bunch of us also helped as a work crew to go through burnt remains and dispose of trash left over.
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2009/01/01 04:32:36
    I would do this...
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +5
    I found out what size clothing the family wore and posted it at work for donations....plus household goods. This family had lost everything. YOU are a wonderful neighbor! Happy New Year!
  • BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRm... 2009/01/01 03:56:05 (edited)
    I would do this...
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    +3
    Wow! That is a tough one. There was a girl I worked w/ whose same home had been struck by lightning twice and burned to the ground twice after it had been rebuilt the first time. She was young, 19 or so and needless to say, horrified of storms. Her biggest loss was a collection of porcelain cats...okay, gross...but I broke down & bought her a Boehm porcelain cat. I think it was Boehm, either way, it was a horribly expensive little sucker! The look on her face was worth it. We worked at an outdoor restaurant & she freaked whenever storms cropped up! Poor thing.
  • Mollybdamned American Atheist 2009/01/01 03:48:18
    When my house caught fire, I appreciated this the most...
    Mollybdamned American Atheist
    +5
    These folks probably don't even have the simplist things like: A toothbrush, comb, towels. Offer them a place to stay, or to store what they can salvage. Sit down with them to help them remember what is gone, because the insurance company will want to know what was destroyed and it is so difficult to remember the 'little things' that you onced owned. Pictures are always a 'biggy' to lose. If they find any offer to have it restored or if you find any restore it. Help them clean up what they do find. Baking soda in the washer will really help get rid of that smoke smell in blankets or other salvagables. Let them cry on your shoulder or just talk about it. It will take a while to get over it.
  • 519378 2009/01/01 03:46:28
    I would do this...
    519378
    +5
    Share books!
    I can't go to sleep without reading something before sleep.
  • Sparkle... 519378 2009/01/01 09:20:55
    SparkleyPie
    +4
    Ooh! Good idea! Thank you!
  • lovelykitten 2009/01/01 03:06:17
    lovelykitten
    +3
    offering a place to stay for a few nights, til they can get arrangements for a hotel, or an apartment....that's what my family and i needed... also clothes.... especially if there are kids..... so they can not miss too much school........just being a friend........
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2009/01/01 02:38:04
    Here's my idea...
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +3
    Hopefully, as in most neighborhoods, they have quite a few people helping them with community resources...food, clothing, etc. If you want to do something special, consider things that are not actually a necessity, but that will help give them a sense of normalcy. Depending on what their habits are, this could be board games, movies, transportation to piano lessons or soccer practice, pet toys...just little things that everyone takes for granted in their everyday life. In my lifetime I have seen two major fires leave family members homeless. During the rebuilding process, it always seemed like the little reminders of home meant the most. Good luck to you and your neighbors!
  • Sono Violado 2009/01/01 02:24:16
    Here's my idea...
    Sono Violado
    +2
    Backyard BBQ! heh, no really I would see how I could assist by maybe lending them my garage to store belongings, or offer them spare space to stay, but I like your idea because food is almost always welcome.
  • ...... 2009/01/01 02:01:55 (edited)
    I would do this...
    ......
    +2
    A lot of people listed something great below. I would do the drive around the neighborhood. I bet a lot of people want to donate. If you organize it, you can coordinate what is what, so they dont end up with the same stuff. You could also ask for donations (what people can afford to throw in) with the items. They might feel weird taking a lump sum of money from one person...but not if it was a group.
    Also contact some groups that help with this sort of thing.
  • Gun665 2009/01/01 01:53:28
  • BlueStar Belle 2009/01/01 01:35:31
    I would do this...
    BlueStar Belle
    +5
    Contact a local home builder... they're hurting. See if they could house them temporarily in one of their "standing inventory" homes and - if they say 'yes,' give them the positive publicity the builder deserves.

If you have a local chapter of HomeAid, contact them and see if there's any transitional housing available.

Beyond that, I agree with Sister Jean. Restaurant certificates would probably do some real good.
  • KellyDew~YES WE CAN 2009/01/01 01:31:34
    Here's my idea...
    KellyDew~YES WE CAN
    +5
    I had friends who lost their homes in the California wildfires. They have nothing! First, they need clothing... We also gave them some new memories in the form of Christmas ornaments. Get them started all over again.
  • Bring it ~STS~Freewill Dirt... 2009/01/01 01:18:25
    I would do this...
    Bring it ~STS~Freewill Dirty Pheonix
    +2
    and support at this point I guess support guess
  • êļļĴáŸê 2009/01/01 00:32:37
    Here's my idea...
    êļļĴáŸê
    +3
    How badly? are they still in the house?
  • Sparkle... êļļĴáŸê 2009/01/01 00:57:01
    SparkleyPie
    +3
    There is still a house. It's the whole front of the house that's burned up. They've got it all boarded up. There's no way they're going to be living there for a while.
  • êļļĴáŸê Sparkle... 2009/01/01 01:01:40
    êļļĴáŸê
    +5
    Well, they're gonna need clothes then.
    But a neighborhood donation drive could get them some stuff quickly.
  • 168290 2009/01/01 00:19:42
  • Underfrog 168290 2009/01/01 00:30:43
    Underfrog
    +4
    haha ha ha ha ha .. a fire extinguisher. . . . ha haha ha haha great idea!!!!!!!!
  • woody 2009/01/01 00:17:47
    I would do this...
    woody
    +2
    As an x fire fighter we had a burn out fund for those that needed the most!
  • jams 2009/01/01 00:02:36
    I would do this...
    jams
    +3
    Just what you have planned - pie and lasagna - seems perfect. Especially if it comes with the care and concern of your family to theirs.
  • Underfrog 2008/12/31 23:33:01
    I would do this...
    Underfrog
    +2
    I talked to the mom and asked her everyone's size. COoked a casserole while calling second hand clothes store. Took the caserole and went to the store. They gave me clothes that fit the family. Went to the house (was not completely destroyed) and gave them dinner and clothes. Others at work had taken up a collection that day and had come by as well. They looked happy so think I can safely say, I did good. lol
  • Sonia 2008/12/31 23:26:43
    Here's my idea...
    Sonia
    +2
    I would first find out what they need. Do they have a place to stay? Did anything get saved? Ask THEM what they need whether it be to borrow a car, or clothes, or somewhere to stay, or maybe only small things. I'm glad everyone got out safely. They had angels watching over them.
  • *KaTiE* 2008/12/31 23:21:42
    I would do this...
    *KaTiE*
    +3
    Give them the appropriate nesecities they need.
    Like
    Blankets pillows
    Maybe even start a donation around the neighborhood
  • Darling Biscuits 2008/12/31 23:21:17
    I would do this...
    Darling Biscuits
    +2
    Give them things they need immediately, like toiletries and clothing...
  • Poppy 2008/12/31 23:09:38
    I would do this...
    Poppy
    +3
    Give them a gift certificate to a local Target or to the fast food places.
    Here's my idea...
    +7
    gift certificates for restaurants
  • Sparkle... Sister ... 2008/12/31 23:30:31
    SparkleyPie
    +3
    wlables would like for you to unblock him. See below.
  • Sister ... Sparkle... 2009/01/01 01:43:02
    +2
    I did 2 hours ago and he has not answered a poll yet 2 answered poll
  • donedunn 2008/12/31 22:56:52
    Here's my idea...
    donedunn
    +4
    You are a very thoughtful person.

I was going to suggest cooking some meals for them. I think helping them get some clothes. They probably lost most of their undergarments, tooth brushes and little things we take for granted.
  • Sparkle... donedunn 2008/12/31 23:00:45
    SparkleyPie
    +6
    Yeah. I'm thinking if they weren't fire damaged, they're probably smoke damages. I'm sure their insurance company will take their sweet time getting a check to them.

Every time I go outside and see their house, I just want to hug them. :(
  • wlables donedunn 2008/12/31 23:28:23
    wlables
    +3
    Someone tell sister jean to unblock me. I would like to respond to some of her polls and did not mean to offend her. I just want to answer and be responded to. I have only blocked one person and that was for racist hurtfull content.
  • thewrit 2008/12/31 22:38:49
    I would do this...
    thewrit
    +4
    seriously, give them money.

what else you could give them, think how much it worth and cash for them. they sure can value their necessities better than any of us can. what we think can not be their first need.
  • Sparkle... thewrit 2008/12/31 22:40:21
    SparkleyPie
    +5
    Very true. I was thinking a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond, but cash would probably be better.
  • thewrit Sparkle... 2008/12/31 22:43:04
    thewrit
    +3
    already experienced. in one case here people donated more food than needed and no materials to rebuild their home. money can be more efficient.

2014/11/24 18:02:02