WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF A SHARK ATTACK??
CHUCK 2012/04/20 19:48:37
What Are My Chances of an Attack?
- In the U.S., your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack.
- Bees, wasps, and snakes kill more people each year than sharks.
- Drowning, heart attacks, beach accidents resulting in spinal injury,
sunburn, cuts from stepping on sea shells, dehydration, jellyfish
stings, and traffic accidents going to or from the beach are all far more common than shark attacks.
- Between 1990 and 2009, there were 15,011 bicycle fatalities,
compared with only 14 deaths due to shark attack. In 2009 alone, there
were 630 deaths due to bicycles and 1 shark-related fatality.
- Between 1985 and 2009, there were 1,583 tornadoes in the state of
Florida, which resulted in 125 deaths. Florida waters witnessed 485
shark attacks and 5 fatalities.
- Between 1990 and 2006, 16 people died as a result of sand hole
collapse, while 11 fatalities were attributed to shark attacks during
the same time period.
See Votes by State
Hot Questions on SodaHead
More Hot Questions