Wearing Leggings as Pants: Fashion Do or Fashion Don't?

Fergie 2012/10/11 18:00:00
Just the other day, we asked you if it's OK to wear sweats outside of the house, and so far the majority of you voted against doing so. Today, we want to know about another comfy attire choice: leggings.

Katie Holmes was spotted in NYC recently wearing leggings as pants and the pictures of her have sparked a debate as to whether leggings should be worn that way or not. What do you think? Is it a fashion do or a fashion don't? And if it's a fashion do, what should you pair them with?

HUFFINGTONPOST.COM reports:
We don't have much in common with Katie Holmes (but what we would do for those cheekbones...). But we and Katie all had the same idea on Wednesday when we awoke to a very cold, very rainy New York City morning: comfort is key.
cheekbones katie wednesday awoke cold rainy york city comfort key

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/katie-hol...

• Rayne 2014/07/05 04:40:57
    Fashion Don't
    Rayne
    I do it, but once it turns accepted in the world of fashion it will show up at work and meetings which is very immature and isn't respectable
  • David Morton 2014/07/04 20:09:04
    Fashion Don't
    David Morton
    +1
    Leggings are bloody horrible however worn.
  • Jesterz 2014/07/04 19:07:34
    Fashion Do
    Jesterz
    Fashion neither do or don't... It's more like Fashion doesn't matter...

Fashion is something so ugly they change it every 6 month... So why even bother?
  • A - latte 平和 2014/07/04 19:02:21
    Fashion Do
    A - latte 平和
    +2
    It depends on who is wearing it and wear it properly.
  • pantagruella 2014/07/04 18:58:08
    Fashion Do
    pantagruella
    The media likes to have it both ways. It attracts readers by posting images of celebrities but mocks the celebrity whatever she does. The American media won't be happy until women dress according to the Koran.
  • Dave 2014/07/04 18:55:08
    Fashion Do
    Dave
    Looks sexy on girls n I love to wear then too :)
  • anthony.orenstein 2013/12/17 01:37:00
    Fashion Do
    anthony.orenstein
    +1
    Can't see anything wrong with it.
  • UnJeans 2013/07/19 18:49:42
    Fashion Do
    UnJeans
    +1
    Leggings are pants, only better. As someone who has sold leggings to men and women around the globe since 2000 at UnJeans.com - I know people are wearing and enjoying them.

It's time to get over the body image constraints and go for the comfort. Just wear them. Leggings are perfect casual wear for women AND men.
    Having worn leggings for years, I'm aware of people's comments both negative and very positive. After all, it's not the leggings on the man but the man in the leggings. Everyone looks good in leggings and some people look great!
    Humans come in all shapes, sizes and permutations. We should all rejoice in that fact and champion everyone for who they are. Why are some humans so anti-human? Why are some body parts considered "junk" or part of a camel's anatomy? Why have these people been trained to believe that the human body is so cringe-worthy? A little change to a more tolerant, accepting and positive perspective would go far in making the world a better place for everyone.

If more people, women and men, wear leggings, then it will just be another apparel choice. At one time denim jeans were worn only by miners digging for gold. Now they are everywhere and nobody asks whether you've struck gold.

So never say never - when you do decide to wear leggings, choose a well ...

So never say never - when you do decide to wear leggings, choose a well made pair - not with cotton fibers that bag out over time but a high tech fiber that retains its shape.

No pockets on leggings? - no problem - wear a belt pack. When wearing leggings I'm actually more comfortable when my wallet isn't sticking in my butt (like it does when I'm wearing baggies) Instead it's conveniently at my waist with my keys, cell phone, etc. All your stuff is right with you and more accessible. Go for the comfort and support of a great pair of leggings and enjoy.
  • elizabeth.okoro.90 2013/01/16 01:25:35
    Fashion Don't
    elizabeth.okoro.90
    Tights are underwear. Not pants. Please... no..
  • Rika Se... elizabe... 2013/06/03 00:53:24
    Rika Secrets
    +1
    First of all: tights and leggings are NOT the same thing. Stockings are sold as underwear.

1. Tights: a piece of clothing made of a thin stretchy material which covers the leg and lower part of the body below the waist;

2. Leggings: tight, form-fitting trousers that extend from the waist to the ankles; Leggings are typically made from a blend of Lycra, and either nylon, cotton, or a cotton-polyester blend. However, leggings can also be made from wool, silk, and various synthetic fabrics and can be completely opaque or patterned;

3. Stockings : generally refers to thigh high nylon stockings, two matching pieces, and depending on the design, can be quite sensual. Stockings usually come in nylon or in Silk and have to be worn with Garters or a Garter belt.
  • Lady Serena 2012/11/09 19:27:30
    Fashion Do
    Lady Serena
    +1
    I do it constantly, and see nothing wrong with it.
  • mustangluver 2012/10/15 17:22:32
    Fashion Do
    mustangluver
    +1
    Been wearing them for at least 30 yrs and probably always will..love them!
  • cindy 2012/10/15 16:25:12
    Fashion Do
    cindy
    +2
    Fashion do but with a tunic
  • Patagon... cindy 2014/05/19 14:17:33 (edited)
    Patagoniakid
    Agree... perrrfect! Even Guys can easily rock leggings but most don't know it....
    (Nice change from men's boring non changing fashion)

skirt

skirt

skirt

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/i...
  • LaiLaiHart 2012/10/15 16:09:12
    Fashion Do
    LaiLaiHart
    +1
    personally, i love leggings, it gives the outfit an sexy, but edgy appeal
  • KalaPoo 2012/10/15 13:19:29
    Fashion Don't
    KalaPoo
    maybe if you had a longer shirt or shorter dress or even a longer sweater. good with boots, if you have a nice butt and if your not overweight.
    i have a friends that wears them but the ones that she does are like almost beond skin tight and you can start to see skin through them and she doen't have a nice butt either. so shes no. just no.
  • LaMoria Oliver 2012/10/15 04:45:37
    Fashion Do
    LaMoria Oliver
    with the right shoes and shirt they are cute
  • Muver 2012/10/15 03:53:33
    Fashion Do
    Muver
    But only with a tunic style top , or short dress, boots or cute other type of shoes...they especially look good with flats...they do not look good on older people, or heavy people..or women with thunder thighs, or huge calves....
  • cjd 2012/10/15 03:26:19
    Fashion Do
    cjd
    +1
    if worn with longer length tops
  • Elementer 2012/10/15 03:07:36
    Fashion Do
    Elementer
    +2
    rhianna leggings

man leggings

It really depends what gender wears the leggings.
  • Muver Elementer 2012/10/15 03:55:55
    Muver
    Bad idea when you have a butt like a gorilla...and a longer top if you have a package...or you are a Dancer...then definately need a dance belt..
  • Jamie Elementer 2012/10/15 10:18:27
    Jamie
    +1
    I agree some guys really look good in leggings. Guy wearing legings
  • Elementer Jamie 2012/10/15 11:27:02
    Elementer
    Oh Lord, lol.
  • Patagon... Elementer 2014/05/02 14:53:22
    Patagoniakid
    skirt

Even with skirts guys can rock them. Actually a skirt makes more sense for men to wear than women due to anatomy alone...no crotch binding seams and great freedom of movement in a short skirt! Men have worn skirts and tights longer than women throughout time so it is nothing new!
  • Hooblie 2012/10/15 01:23:22
    Fashion Don't
    Hooblie
    It depends really. If you are in great shape, and you have a long sweater/shirt or something dressy with boots or high-tops, it can look great.
    On the other hand, if you're over weight, or have fat rolls and are insistant upon wearing a t-shirt or other non-dressy top, you should probably go back into the house and put on something more...attractive to the public.
  • rknothead 2012/10/15 00:52:10
    Fashion Don't
    rknothead
    you better not have any rolls to expose if you wear them...and if that's the case, why do you even consider it in the first place? You could be wearing something a lot better!
  • iamco2000 2012/10/14 23:52:09
    Fashion Don't
    iamco2000
    I'm reviled by even their name. I'm not into fashion...at all, and they've become cliche to even me.

These go into the same category as flip-flops, people who don't read the bible more than 3x/week and think that showing up to church qualifies them as a Christian, "smokey eye", "pop-of-color" and scarves/pashmina's/wraps, people who wear blankets in public (buy a coat), car commercials that HAVE to (just HAVE to) say "MPG", and restaurants that use house-speak in front of patrons (think "two-top" or "86")....makes me cringe every flipping time I hear it.

Grace to you, Glory to God!
  • Sue MacDonald Kyak 2012/10/14 22:15:56
    Fashion Do
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +1
    As long as your shirt is on the long side.
  • kate 2012/10/14 21:17:41
    Fashion Do
    kate
    +2
    not with a too short top though......
  • Daniela 2012/10/14 21:05:14
  • Sista N... Daniela 2012/10/14 22:44:14
  • The heartless 2012/10/14 12:33:54
    Fashion Do
    The heartless
    It depends on how you wear them. It also depends on the color, print and fabric as well. I've seen some really nasty and awful color, print and fabrics on people and believe me they don't look good. You also have to have the corect top with them otherwize it just looks like you are missing your skirt or something. Transparent leggings aren't nice looking at all. UGH! No one wants to see your ass !!!
  • Jewellery Gal 2012/10/14 02:32:49
    Fashion Don't
    Jewellery Gal
    Only dressed with a skirt or oversized top
    Nice style
    top
  • rachelanne 2012/10/14 02:16:18 (edited)
    Fashion Do
    rachelanne
    www.grade13.tumblr.com
  • Will Kirby 2012/10/14 01:51:04
    Fashion Do
    Will Kirby
    +1
    I always wear leggings as pants and when I do i always wear them with underwear that matches.
  • Jamie Will Kirby 2012/10/14 16:22:39
    Jamie
    What color underwear should I wear with white leggings? I can't seem to find a color that doesn't show through on white leggings.
  • Michelle 2012/10/14 01:29:44
    Fashion Don't
    Michelle
    +1
    Only with these
    jeggings with boots and long sweater gif
  • jjjmom53 2012/10/14 01:10:19
    Fashion Don't
    jjjmom53
    call me old fashioned
  • jjjmom53 jjjmom53 2012/10/14 01:12:11
    jjjmom53
    just as pants? or with a short dress is ok or a long tunic
  • Miss Fiona 2012/10/14 00:49:07
    Fashion Do
    Miss Fiona
    And only if the top cuts low enough to cover up the buttocks.

2014/12/20 18:38:26