We Are NOT Living Longer

ProudProgressive 2011/07/08 15:41:24
One of the more insidious lies the Right Wing Media has been spreading in their efforts to destroy Social Security is that benefits have to be cut (and the retirement age raised) because people are living longer. Well, it turns out that this is yet another of the Right Wing's talking points that is contradicted by actual factual reality. What a surprise.

Article excerpt follows:

We're NOT living longer

By John Amato

July 07, 2011 07:30 PM

There's many reasons why I don't want my Social Security or Medicare cut, but one of the many zombie lies being spewed is that our safety net benefits have to be cut because Americans are living longer and longer.

Well, that's bullsh*t:

“In December, the Los Angeles Times reported — very briefly — that from 2007 to 2008, life expectancy in the United States declined by 0.1 year. It should have been the lead story of every newspaper in the country with the largest possible headlines (‘LESS LIFE’). Did 9/11 reduce life expectancy this much? Of course not. Did World War II? Not in a visible way — American life expectancy rose during World War II. I can’t think any event in the last 100 years that made such a difference to Americans. The decline is even more newsworthy when you realize: 1. It is the continuation of trends. The yearly increase in life expectancy has been dropping for about the last 40 years. 2. Americans spend far more on health care than any other country. Meaning vast resources have been available to translate new discoveries into practice. 3. Americans spend far more on health research than any other country and should be the first to benefit from new discoveries.”

It's not like we didn't already know this, but still, please tell me why this information never gets reported when the LIE is used so frequently?

The latest available information is demonstrating that the gains in life expectancy that led to this zombie lie in the first place are now being reversed. This weekend, Laura Clawson wrote about a University of Washington study showing a significant drop in life expectancy for both women and black men in the past decade.

From 1987 to 1997, there were 227 counties where female life expectancy dropped. From 1997 to 2007, the number of counties where women’s life expectancy dropped exploded to 737.... Besides the precarious state of women, life expectancy for black men in two-thirds of the nation’s counties is no better than what it was in other rich countries in the 1950s.

US Media, riddle me this. Why are these lies being thrown around by Congress allowed to flourish in your reporting?

Read More: http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/were-not-livi...

• TykeLad101 2012/06/30 08:38:37
    TykeLad101
    GOOD
  • Karen E 2011/07/08 16:33:24
    Karen E
    and with denial of benefits and treatments from the hc fiasco, many will not be around. with the new regs already being implemented, my 79 year old mother cannot afford the treatment for the leukemia she was recently diagnosed with, seems her age is the problem. also because of her age the treatment for her Fuchs Disease in her eyes is no longer treated either. however she was offered end of life counseling despite the fact she already has it.
  • CuppaT Child of God 2011/07/08 16:08:37
    CuppaT   Child of God
    +2
    There was a recent article out that stated that first person to live to 150 years old has already been born and that it is possible down the road for people to live to be 1000. It won't be me, that 's for sure and I'm glad. things are moving too fast for me as it is now.
  • DavE 2011/07/08 15:45:50
    DavE
    +1
    Lyin' Democrats. As long as they're breathing, they're lying.
    lyin democrats breathing lying Obama liar
  • ProudPr... DavE 2011/07/08 17:21:09
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Tell me, have you EVER met an actual fact that you didn't reject? For someone whose avatar is a picture of the biggest liar in the history of the United States (not to mention the only President who ever verifiably committed treason against the United States), you ought not to be casting stones when confronted with an actual honest man in the White House.
  • DavE ProudPr... 2011/07/09 00:56:49
    DavE
    Check it out, LIAR LIAR.
    http://www.census.gov/compend...

2014/10/25 06:29:40