Water Cafe Opens in NYC: Reasonable or Ridiculous?

Food 2012/07/23 00:24:04
We love niche food stores. But an entire café devoted to water? That seems a little over the top to us.

Last week, the Molecule Water Café opened in New York City’s East Village. On a basic level, the shop sells filtered tap water—$2.50 for a 16-ounce glass bottle (only $1 for up to 50 ounces in your own container.) According to The Wall Street Journal, the tap water is streamed “through a $25,000 filtering machine that uses ultraviolet rays, ozone treatments and reverse osmosis in a seven-stage processing treatment to create what they call pure H20.”

For an additional cost, you can purchase water infused with pH and electrolytes, vitamins and supplements, or all natural blends. NYC residents can also get 3 and 5-gallon jugs of Molecule’s “pharmaceutical grade water” delivered to their homes by tricycle. So far, reports have varied regarding whether Molecule’s water really tastes all the different from a water bottle or even unfiltered tap water. “I mean it's subtle, but if you have a sensitive palate you can totally tell," said co-owner Adam Ruhf.

But beyond taste, Molecule claims that their water is safer than regular NYC tap water. The company’s website states, “Current reports show NYC tap water to contain a variety of dangerous chemicals, including Chloropicrin, Trihalomethane, Dalapon and lsophorone- all extremely toxic. Not to mention fluoride and chlorine, about which you can make up your mind.”

However, NYC officials strongly disagree with their claims. Christopher Gilbride, a spokesman for the New York City Department of Environmental Protection said, "Public health experts agree that New York City tap water is among the safest, highest quality in the world, a standard we confirm through more than 500,000 tests each year."

We’re sure Molecule’s water is totally awesome. But we’re just not convinced that a water café is going to succeed in this tough economic climate. But then again, maybe this kind of thing can fly in the East Village and we'll see the development of new water connoisseurs.

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100008723963904443...

• DavidK Rave 2012/07/23 18:04:46
    DavidK
    yea, we really should be grateful for what we have but we're catching up though....
  • Rave DavidK 2012/07/23 18:28:47
    Rave
    +1
    With the global economy getting worse and the demand for resources getting higher, everyone ought to enjoy what we can while we can.

Only good thing about increased gas prices here is that it's gotten me in pretty decent shape having to walk miles everyday.
  • DavidK Rave 2012/07/23 22:01:29
    DavidK
    good point!
  • Monkey D. Luffy 2012/07/23 12:11:10
    Ridiculous
    Monkey D. Luffy
    I'm not among the buyers for sure..
  • lara 2012/07/23 12:01:53
    Ridiculous
    lara
    +1
    So absurd. Mechants make up an excuse to sell their products. We have grown up with tap water and we have a good health. Personally speaking, I don't agree with it
  • Nameless 2012/07/23 11:58:05
    Reasonable
    Nameless
    +1
    In NYC that is an huge deal. The water there is disgusting to drink and having some fresh, decent drinking water is a great idea. It's not free to clean and make really good to drink... Plus, if you bring your own container, it's really inexpensive. I grew up with artesian well water and gag every time I have to drink the tap water in our house where we now live.

If you don't want to pay for clean, delicious water, then stop polluting it.

(The you is a general you and not directed at anyone except the guilty...) ; )
  • Marianne 2012/07/23 11:55:03
    Ridiculous
    Marianne
    and expensive, unless tap water is no longer safe ...
  • Nameless Marianne 2012/07/23 12:52:04
    Nameless
    +1
    Tap water hasn't been safe (truly safe) in a long time. We get a water report every year and it's amazing what the government will allow to be in your tap water - and allow it to pass quality control. Check it out sometime.
  • Marianne Nameless 2012/07/23 13:31:54
    Marianne
    I am really sorry to hear that the quality of your tap water is so poor. Ours is of excellent quality. Under these conditions, there is a reason to have water bars and water fountains with clean drinking water, at reasonable prices though.
  • Nameless Marianne 2012/07/23 15:09:55
    Nameless
    50 oz for $1 is very reasonable. When is the last time you saw the chemical/bacteria count in your local water or are you just going by what you taste?
  • Marianne Nameless 2012/07/23 15:27:13
    Marianne
    Actually, the regular bacterial and composition controls in our country are very strict. Municipal or regional laboratories are in charge of these controls, and you can bet that they are doing their job consciously. We can check the values, i.e, contents and eventual bacterial presence on Internet, according to the municipality. In case that there is the least suspicion, we can alert the municipal or regional laboratories or chemists.
  • Nameless Marianne 2012/07/23 15:32:08
    Nameless
    +1
    So you check on at least an annual basis?
  • Marianne Nameless 2012/07/23 15:53:21
    Marianne
    Well, since I have Internet, I am checking more often, about every 1 - 3 months. Our water is source water (treated, of course), and it is rather hard (I have to dose the softening agents for washing, and for the plants, I let the chalk particles settle down for some hours).
    May I ask a question: How are you dealing with your tap water?
  • Jiorgia Nameless 2012/07/23 15:34:29
    Jiorgia
    its crazy how much the water quality changes from place to place, here in melbourne we have what is considered the best water in the country and i actually take a couple of bottles of tap water with me to other states because i cannot drink the tap water there (or even brush my teeth with it) i just find it disgusting.
  • desperatedan 2012/07/23 11:51:29
    Ridiculous
    desperatedan
    Really stupid more and more people are getting caught up with what looks sexy and what is called the in thing they must look like they are yuppie all the time instead they are only wasting money and making a fool of themselves.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/07/23 11:48:41
  • nyscof 2012/07/23 11:43:53
    Reasonable
    nyscof
    +2
    What's really ridiculous is that New Yorkers spend about $25 million annually adding tasteless, odorless, health-harming fluoride chemicals into the water supply in a failed effort, not to purify the water but to reduce tooth decay in people who drink tap water and sodas made with that tap water. And then they avoid drinking that water.

NYC Council Member Peter Vallone, Jr. introduced legislation (Int 0463-2011) “prohibiting the addition of fluoride to the water supply.” People need to call Speaker Quinn and Health Committee Chair Arroyo to allow a public hearing on this bill.

Vallone writes on his website, “There is a growing body of evidence that fluoride does more harm than good.”.

Fluoridation Opposition is Scientific, Respectable & Growing.

More than 4,038 professionals (including 331 dentists and 518 MD’s) urge that fluoridation be stopped citing scientific evidence that ingesting fluoride is ineffective at reducing tooth decay and has serious health risks. See statement: http://www.fluoridealert.org/...

Reasons to stop fluoridation in NYC are here:
    http://www.freewebs.com/fluor...

• ChumptyDumpty 2012/07/23 11:09:11
    Reasonable
    ChumptyDumpty
    +1
    Young people and old folks can now be safier in summer
  • DavidK Chumpty... 2012/07/23 22:02:12
    DavidK
    Hardly................
  • Giacomo Skeate 2012/07/23 10:47:21 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    Giacomo Skeate
    +2
    A water caffe?? Bitch please
  • Donnie 2012/07/23 10:34:17
    Ridiculous
    Donnie
    “through a $25,000 filtering machine that uses ultraviolet rays, ozone treatments and reverse osmosis in a seven-stage processing treatment to create what they call pure H20.” so it's basically distilled water (water pure enough to clean electronics with scene it's actuality the contaminants in it that conduct electricity).
  • Tella6 2012/07/23 10:29:33
    Ridiculous
    Tella6
    +1
    Sounds stupid
  • yogamartial 2012/07/23 09:28:58
    Ridiculous
    yogamartial
    What will they bottle next Farts
  • .: LiVi :. 2012/07/23 08:47:52
    Ridiculous
    .: LiVi :.
    That's like bottling up air and making a shop selling oxygen.
  • Elementer 2012/07/23 08:00:02 (edited)
  • Phantom ^-^ 2012/07/23 07:58:14
    Reasonable
    Phantom ^-^
    +1
    At least its more healthier
  • shooter 2012/07/23 07:54:48
    Ridiculous
    shooter
    Here we go again, another ridiculous idea that ridiculous people will flock to. Water tastes bad at home? Buy a filter moron.
  • GLaDOS shooter 2012/07/24 05:49:49
    GLaDOS
    Even home filters don't necessarily help for everyone's taste, sometimes water from somewhere else just tastes better.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/07/23 07:38:35 (edited)
    Reasonable
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    Does it have free wifi? If my water at home tasted nasty I'd go there. I think that most water tastes of metal or dirt. Tasteless water is the best. Nestle purelife water is the worst, dasani is fine, fiji is just as good. I'd go to the cafe once in a while- why not?
  • Narcole... Bibliop... 2012/07/23 13:30:47
    NarcolepticGoat
    I'm not that fond of dasani myself.
  • Tiah 2012/07/23 07:27:05
    Ridiculous
    Tiah
    What a stupid idea
  • burningsnowman 2012/07/23 07:14:58 (edited)
    Reasonable
    burningsnowman
    +1
    Sounds fine to me. The quality of water in a lot of the country has gone way downhill anyway thanks to how poorly maintained the infrastructure is. My town has had problems with things like bacteria in it and contaminants, so we've had multiple advisories to boil our water. Some states like NJ and TX have even had concerns about radioactive water. I'm not sure about NYC but it is becoming a real problem. That said a lot of bottled water is basically just tap water.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/201...
    http://www.dailykos.com/story...
  • mblack 2012/07/23 07:04:24
    Reasonable
    mblack
    +2
    Just goes to show that American ingenuity it alive and pumping.
  • Likeasong 2012/07/23 06:55:24
    Ridiculous
    Likeasong
    +1
    It's horrible to say but it probably will be a really successful business. Look at that stupid VOSS water that sells for $ 3.00 for a little glass bottle. People are insanely stupid, and will succumb to anything trendy and wasteful if its presented in a "fun" way. I'll enjoy my tap water, thank you very much.
  • yogamar... Likeasong 2012/07/23 09:30:46
    yogamartial
    +1
    Well said!
  • Wyveryx 2012/07/23 06:52:13
    Ridiculous
    Wyveryx
    +1
    100% free...

stream
  • Akki 2012/07/23 06:50:46
    Ridiculous
    Akki
    That's just water for $2.50 I can give you 10 ounce for that..need a deal :P
  • David 2012/07/23 06:35:27
    Ridiculous
    David
    +1
    LOL. A Water Cafe? What's next? Air Cafe?

Pay $2.50 per hour to inhale fresh oxygen that was filtered through a machine?
  • Jimmy 2012/07/23 06:34:59
    Reasonable
    Jimmy
    +1
    I only say reasonable because it sells. If I could sell rocks and dirt for a premium and people would buy it I would.
  • ...Kat... 2012/07/23 06:28:43

2014/07/25 20:48:22