Was Jesus Married?

ProudProgressive 2012/09/19 11:26:21
Was Jesus married? Ancient papyrus fragment refers to his 'wife'
By Michael Winter
6:54 AM, September 19, 2012 |

dfgdgdfgd

This Sept. 5, 2012 photo released by Harvard University shows a fourth century fragment of papyrus that divinity professor Karen L. King says is the only existing ancient text that quotes Jesus explicitly referring to having a wife. King, an expert in the history of Christianity, says the text contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to "my wife," whom he identified as Mary. King says the fragment of Coptic script is a copy of a gospel, probably written in Greek in the second century.

A papyrus fragment from the fourth century contains a phrase in which Jesus refers to "My wife," which a U.S. scholar says is the first evidence supporting the belief among early Christians that he was married, The New York Times reports.

The fragment consists of eight lines of black ink, written in Coptic, which include the phrase. "Jesus said to them, 'My wife ...' " Below it is what the Times calls "a second provocative clause" that reportedly says, "she will be able to be my disciple."

Karen King, a Christian scholar at the Harvard Divinity School, presented the finding today in Rome at the International Congress of Coptic Studies. She said in a statement that the earliest claim that Jesus did not marry is from 200 A.D. Early Christians did not always agree on whether they should marry or be celibate.

The fragment does not prove that Jesus was married or that if he was that it was to Mary Magdalene, according to the draft paper.

Based on the faded papyrus and handwriting, the fragment is likely authentic, Roger Bagnell, director of the Institute for the Study of the Ancient World in New York, said in a statement from Harvard, Bloomberg reports.

King did not identify the owner of the fragment, which is about the size of a business card.

King showed the fragment, enclosed in glass, to the Times,The Boston Globe and Harvard Magazine on Thursday.

In an interview, the Times writes, King "repeatedly cautioned that this fragment should not be taken as proof that Jesus, the historical person, was actually married. The text was probably written centuries after Jesus lived, and all other early, historically reliable Christian literature is silent on the question," she said.

"This fragment suggests that some early Christians had a tradition that Jesus was married," King told the Times. "There was, we already know, a controversy in the second century over whether Jesus was married, caught up with a debate about whether Christians should marry and have sex."

Princeton University religion professor AnneMarie Luijendijk, who co-authored the paper with King, said the fragment's poor condition suggests it was found in a garbage heap, Bloomberg writes.

The Smithsonian Channel will air a special on the discovery Sept. 30, at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Read More: http://www.freep.com/article/20120919/NEWS07/12091...

• Sidrah Zaheer 2012/11/11 21:35:24
    Sidrah Zaheer
    According to Islamic tradition, he will get married upon his second coming and will also have a family.
  • Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C 2012/09/20 20:52:03
    Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C
    +1
    I wouldn't be surprised. I would like to believe so but that evidence looks a little home made.
  • ProudPr... Nomad T... 2012/09/20 21:00:20
    ProudProgressive
    LOL 2000 years ago everything was home made.
  • Nomad T... ProudPr... 2012/09/20 23:09:28
    Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C
    That is true.
  • Golanv (Raven) 2012/09/20 12:04:06
    Golanv (Raven)
    Love this guy & can't wait to see him live next month when he plays here. Some morning wisdom from John Prine ;)
  • C:\DOS> 2012/09/20 12:00:40
    C:\DOS>
    No. At least, this scrap of paper is no evidence that He was. It was written centuries after Christ's death, it is of unknown provenance, and it reads like a just another typical apocryphal gospel with which the first three or four centuries of the Christian Era were oversupplied. Even the sentence fragment beginning with "My wife" is completely devoid of a predicate. For all we know, the very next words were, "...if I had one...".

Were the words this fragment attributes to Christ actually spoken by the historical person? Highly unlikely. More likely just some anonymous 2nd century pious soul with an overactive imagination engaging in a bit of speculative fiction.

Anyone trying to prove Christ was married is going to need a WHOLE lot more than this.
  • ProudPr... C:\DOS> 2012/09/20 12:14:43
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    And yet the New Testament was also "written centuries after Christ's death, is of unknown provenance, and reads like just another typical apocryphal gospel." We'll never know every detail of Christ's life, but I'm not sure I understand why one unprovable source is accepted but another unprovable source is not.
  • Nomad T... ProudPr... 2012/09/20 20:54:09
    Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C
    I can dig it. I agree
  • C:\DOS> ProudPr... 2012/09/21 15:40:23 (edited)
    C:\DOS>
    {Smile} From Wikipedia: "Parts of the New Testament have been preserved in more manuscripts than any other ancient work... there are more manuscripts that preserve the New Testament than there are for any other ancient writing."

There are manuscript fragments of the New Testament in existence dating as early as ca. 125AD (cf. the Rylands MSS). There are even earlier examples of writers quoting from the New Testament. Ignatius of Antioch (35-107AD) quotes from 3 of the 4 gospels and most of the Pauline epistles. Clement of Rome cites in a letter dating possibly as early as 70AD (but more likely ca. 90-95AD) from at least five Pauline epistles, from the letter of James, from Hebrews, and from the synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke), indicating those writings were circulating within fifty years after the death of Christ.

With the probable exceptions of John and Revelation, the New Testament writings were completed and circulating well before the end of the first century AD.

No offense intended, but anyone who doesn't understand the difference between this single scrap of papyrus and the breadth and depth of MSS support for the New Testament writings, or the difference between the apocryphal gospels and their canonical counterparts, understands little about either textual criticism or the history of the New Testament.
  • Dave 2012/09/20 05:10:17
    Dave
    +1
    Dear lordy - let's pray he was. That will eliminate all the gay comments about the Lordy Jesus. Why do religions have such strange hang ups about sex? What does it matter if he was married or not? Even Zeus and the rest of them were married. lol
  • †♫ Muzikfreak ♪† 2012/09/19 22:07:46 (edited)
    †♫ Muzikfreak ♪†
    If you knew Jesus' purpose for being here in the first place, you would know it was not for him to get married. The Bible probably would have mentioned that little detail, yea? ^_^

If this parchment is really authentic, then His 'wife' he refers to could possibly be the church bride, or maybe something in relating terms to that.

He didn't marry, there's no record of it, and if he ever did; He would have made it known.
  • Singerar 2012/09/19 20:07:52
    Singerar
    +1
    Maybe....
  • gocar 2012/09/19 16:31:52
    gocar
    +1
    Maybe we will never know for sure. Some think that he and Mary Magderline were married and certainly his disciples were married although their wives got no mention. The fact that they were uneducated fishermen is interesting and it seems that Judas was the only one with some learning because they made him the treasurer of the little group. Women in general were kept in the background of Jewish Society as they still are in the Arab world today. The stoning and beheading and head covering that are in Arab Society today are all remnants of the Jewish laws at the time of Jesus.
  • Heptarch 2012/09/19 15:41:08
    Heptarch
    +2
    It has always stunned me why people would think that Jesus would not have been married. In his culture it would have been EXTREMELY unlikely that he was still single at 33.
  • ProudPr... Heptarch 2012/09/19 20:33:26
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Most of those who claim he wasn't married seem to base it on the fact that the Bible doesn't mention it. I find that unconvincing, especially given that the Catholic Church made a concerted effort in the early centuries to minimize the role of women wherever possible.
  • Heptarch ProudPr... 2012/09/19 21:06:01
    Heptarch
    +1
    To minimize the role of women and overtly deify Jesus, yes. In the first two or three centuries after his death, there was a great deal of debate about whether he was divine or just a prophet.
    HE was not. Gnostics afoul again
  • ProudPr... jackola... 2012/09/19 20:36:22
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    The only reason the Gnostic texts are not included in the New Testament is the deliberate choice by early Catholic leadership to highlight certain aspects of Jesus' life while minimizing others. They are neither more nor less authoritative than the "accepted" books.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/09/19 13:33:41
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +2
    We'll all know the truth someday. This doesn't really change my opinion of Jesus one way or the other.
  • Bastion 2012/09/19 13:20:05
    Bastion
    +1
    As a jewish man in those days, NOT being married would have raised HUGE suspicions, and been a major way of referring to him. "Who, Jesus? You mean that guy who isn't married?" would have shown up SOMEWHERE in the writings about him.

References to Jesus' wife were PURPOSELY removed from scriptures during the middle years of the church to maintain a patriarchy. Kinda like what the Republicans want to do.

Whoever controls what writing is saved and what is destroyed controls history.
  • †♫ Muzi... Bastion 2012/09/19 22:15:44
    †♫ Muzikfreak ♪†
    So how are you sure he did get married?
    Other than the fact that being a Jew, it was good for his reputation that he did.

Where does it say that?
  • Bastion †♫ Muzi... 2012/09/20 00:18:37
    Bastion
    I don't even know if he existed . . . he could be an amalgam of several gnostic teachers, he could be close to as is, he could be totally fictional. Knowing how humans are, how can one trust WHAT writings have been passed down, and how they were written or deleted?

Marriage? It's a good narrative, and it fits what we know, if you look at the role of women in this movement and how it might have grown, and then apparently been repressed.
  • †♫ Muzi... Bastion 2012/09/20 01:36:08
    †♫ Muzikfreak ♪†
    The Bible has predictions and prophecies that have been fulfilled, it's wisdom that guides you through life morally, spiritually, and in a way 'safely.' Keeping you from the traps set in life for you and everyone else. It gives you a good understanding of who Jesus Christ is, and why he came.

(Let me rephrase the question) What can you say to prove that Jesus got married when he came to earth?
  • Bastion †♫ Muzi... 2012/09/20 10:31:36 (edited)
    Bastion
    I can say nothing to prove anything to a teen who is enthralled by one particular ancient text OR someone who uses phrases like "when he came to earth".

You're fifteen. Read OTHER books.
  • †♫ Muzi... Bastion 2012/09/20 13:45:33
    †♫ Muzikfreak ♪†
    You don't know haw many OTHER books I have studies. Believe me, I know enough to convince myself that The Holy Bible is indeed Holy and there is nothing else on earth like it.

Read it for yourself. Though you might be older, you could learn something from it.
  • Bastion †♫ Muzi... 2012/09/20 13:53:07
    Bastion
    I see that the bible has already taught you arrogance and the ability to make sweeping conclusions with no evidence. Congratulations.

Don't let anybody tell you what to think. Life hasn't even started yet at 15. You know less than nothing, and that is not an insult. Question everything and everyone and don't stop learning new opinions.
  • †♫ Muzi... Bastion 2012/09/20 14:49:04
    †♫ Muzikfreak ♪†
    Thank you. The word for that is called Faith, in which you are apparently lacking. There's a big difference between arrogance and having faith. (True I may be a confident in it, but at least I believe and have hope in something, and do have evidence for it. But you have chosen not to believe it, and/or take it into consideration in YOUR arrogance)

Haha You are obviously the one lacking in knowledge, since I have been asking and correcting you for the past few days! You don't know me except what you might read on my bio. (You can't say I don't know anything if your obviously guilty of the same thing)
    I am not saying that your better than me, only that you might have more life experience than me which.. Duh, at nearly age 60, I would hope so!) doesn't mean I don't know anything.

Like you said, you can always learn new things. Live what you preach.
  • Bastion †♫ Muzi... 2012/09/20 14:56:54
    Bastion
    +1
    Thanks! Have a great day.
  • †♫ Muzi... Bastion 2012/09/20 17:02:01
    †♫ Muzikfreak ♪†
    You as well!
  • C:\DOS> Bastion 2012/09/22 01:10:41
    C:\DOS>
    "References to Jesus' wife were PURPOSELY removed from scriptures during the middle years of the church to maintain a patriarchy. Kinda like what the Republicans want to do. "

Since you certainly wouldn't make unfounded claims, you must have evidence to support your assertion, right? Someone other than Baigent and Leigh, I mean.
  • sickofpolitics 2012/09/19 12:12:39
    sickofpolitics
    +1
    There are reports that he was married to Mary Magdeline and that they may have even had a child...... But we will know the truth one day, I have faith. Even if he was, there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/09/19 12:00:17
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +1
    A fictional character can be whatever the author wants it to be.
  • sickofp... Sodahea... 2012/09/19 12:15:37
    sickofpolitics
    +1
    There is historical evidence that Jesus did indeed walk the earth. Whether or not you believe in God, religion or whatever the Bible is a historical document that has been validated through archaeological evidence and research. He was a real person and his life has different meaning to everyone.
  • Sodahea... sickofp... 2012/09/19 12:18:08
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +1
    Actually, there isn't
  • sickofp... Sodahea... 2012/09/19 12:20:49
    sickofpolitics
    have you ever watched the history channel?? They have had multiple shows providing evidence that the stories in the bible are accurate. If you do not want to believe that is ok to, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.
  • Sodahea... sickofp... 2012/09/19 12:25:17
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +1
    The "History Channel" is notorious for inaccurate and blatantly false content.
    Heck, they have a show called "Ancient Aliens". Do you think that is accurate? Because THAT show says that the Christian God is a, quote, "flesh and blood extraterrestrial".
  • ProudPr... Sodahea... 2012/09/19 12:28:48
    ProudProgressive
    Actually, "Ancient Aliens" does not claim anything of the kind. The show explores theories and legends of ancient extraterrestrial contact. It makes no claim that any of the theories are factual, but its reporting and exploration of those theories is accurate and worth watching. They've had shows about Atlantis, too, but have never claimed that it really existed, only that it was believed that it existed.

They have not, to my knowledge, ever been criticized for inaccuracy and never been accused of any "blatantly false content".
  • Sodahea... ProudPr... 2012/09/19 12:32:15
  • ProudPr... Sodahea... 2012/09/19 12:51:57
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    I stand corrected. They did get the item about Congress convening on Christmas Day wrong. However, that seems to be about the only thing they've gotten wrong. The rest of the criticism has to do with focusing too much on WW2 (which they've solved by moving all that programming to a separate channel) and doing shows that weren't "history", like Ice Road Truckers. I'm satisfied with a 99% accuracy level.

Nevertheless, let's not get too far from the basic point - there is evidence to suggest that Jesus as a historical figure did in fact exist. That evidence is not conclusive and the point is still debated by many scholars. It seems that most of the arguments against his existence are based on the lack of records (as one would expect - you'll never find a period text that says "Jesus doesn't exist" LOL) I don't think calling Jesus "fictional" is appropriate, but that's simply my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

[Next you'll be telling us that the Celestial Temple doesn't really exist, right? LOL]
  • Leprach... ProudPr... 2012/09/19 21:31:31

2014/09/16 21:06:29