Was a Florida Mom Right to Cheer on Her Daughter's Brawl?

Related Topics: Boyfriend, jail
Back in the day, when a kid got in trouble for fighting, they got in big trouble at home. Nowadays, the parents are cheering them on.

A Florida woman has been charged with child abuse after rooting for her teenage daughter in a fight with another girl.

April Newcomb, 39, is facing up to five years in jail for cheering on her daughter in a fight over an old boyfriend. In a video that was posted to YouTube, she is heard yelling at her daughter, "Don't f------ stop!"

"We've all seen videos of kids fighting, but to have a parent there, that's what pushed us over the edge. She egged on her daughter, did nothing to stop it," Dave Bristow, a spokesman from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, told the New York Daily News.

Newcomb didn't seem overly apologetic about the incident, either.

"We were both wrong and I understand that," she said in a police report, referring to herself and her daughter. "And I understand where y'all are coming from. I think, unfortunately, it was going to happen no matter what."

Um, it probably was going to happen no matter what, with a mom like that ...

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/2...

• Kisha 2010/09/29 14:59:09
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    Kisha
    Yes, the mother and daughter she be held accountable. A parent is there to guide the child. This person or so called parent is going about it the wrong way. Just walk away.
  • Trystan 2010/09/29 13:34:10
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    Trystan
    +1
    What kind of "mother" would cheer on their daughter, when she's possibly in danger. America needs help.
  • EarthGirl 2010/09/29 12:49:14
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    EarthGirl
    +1
    But facing 5 years in jail is riduculous!
    There are people that do worse and get less time! Jeepers! What's wrong with the world today?
  • REFUSENICK1967 2010/09/29 11:22:50
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    REFUSENICK1967
    Well her hubby said it was ok
  • Char. Limit 2010/09/29 05:37:34
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    Char. Limit
    That's awesome!
  • ~*Bryn*~ aka AmerikusMonsoon 2010/09/29 02:23:54
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    ~*Bryn*~ aka AmerikusMonsoon
    +1
    Okay...
    if it wasn't over a stupid ex boyfriend, I could see why the mother would be rooting for her daughter to kick ass... in this case, everyone needs to grow up.
  • Devyana 2010/09/29 02:17:47
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    Devyana
    +1
    I know people with parents like this. They're not the brightest of the bunch. Them or their parents.
  • JasonYates 2010/09/29 01:27:30
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    JasonYates
    +1
    There are plenty of dirt bag parents in the world. Teaching you rkid to stand up for themselves is a smart thing, Teaching your kids to make a specticle of themselves by having a public fight as entertainment for a bunch of people is pathetic. What would this dingbat say if all of those young kids got passionate or drunk and this turned into one or the other of those kids getting killed?
  • teigan 2010/09/29 01:19:35
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    teigan
    She should have taught her that no boy is worth fighting over. I taught my children that the only time they should be in a fight is when they are defending themselves from a physical attack.
  • METALheadMom 2010/09/28 19:30:12
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    METALheadMom
    +1
    Sorry, but if my daughter beat the heck out of the bully that daily goes out of her way to try and destroy my daughters day, I would be a happy camper. If I was not over 18, I would do it myself. I STRONGLY believe the bully should NOT have the right to harass my daughter, AND my daughter SHOULD have the right to defend herself. I have taught her how to fit, and if the bully touches her at all, I have given her permission to beat the bully senseless. What KIND of Mom does this? The KIND that used to be a bully herself, and one who KNOWS the only thing that works to get one off your back. Sometimes, fire MUST be fought with fire.
  • teigan METALhe... 2010/09/29 01:17:19
    teigan
    Who said anyone was being picked on by a bully. It said it was a fight over a boyfriend.
  • ☠ Cheryl ☮ 2010/09/28 18:08:52
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    ☠ Cheryl ☮
    +1
    I don't think it's right that she did this but I also don't think that she should be charged with child abuse. Fined, maybe,...for what I'm not sure. I think what she did was more morally wrong than it was legally wrong. She never touched anyone, yes, she encouraged her kid to fight, but that's a bad judgment call, not abuse. Now, if she had physically joined in on he fight, THEN I could see charges being pressed.
  • itoldyouso 2010/09/28 17:57:13
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    itoldyouso
    +1
    Whatever. Don't think girls should fight period. Now boys. Damn sure was fun. My ole man would never cheer me on but would wail the heck out of me if I lost. Usually I looked the worse but always seem to be the last standing. You know like debating liberals.
  • the dude 2010/09/28 17:50:21
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    the dude
    +1
    she's just pure trailer trash. what do you expect? if i were to get in a fight like that, i would be in big trouble.
  • sweetchristi 2010/09/28 16:53:07
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    sweetchristi
    +1
    We are simply talking about trailer trash here. Kids raised correctly STILL get in big trouble at home for behaving this way.
  • Devyana sweetch... 2010/09/29 02:20:35
    Devyana
    I take that offensive, simply because I've been raised just fine and my parents told me if I ever got hit by someone I had every right to fight them. As long as they moved first. But I see your point.
  • La 2010/09/28 15:41:55
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    La
    Some derro parents are proud when their kid gets into a fight. Stands to reason that if they were there, they would be cheering. A bit of immaturity and a refusal to accept responsiblity, and you have a parent willing to join in the kids saying "Fight! Fight! Fight!". I don't see how what she did was child abuse.
  • Treedy 2010/09/28 15:12:11 (edited)
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    Treedy
    +2
    I see grown up do this all the time and only step in when another person does. I have often been that step in person. I have seen parent's berate their child after losing a fight and to literally punish the child for losing so this lady is no different. If she is not put in jail, I hope she is at least fined or something.
  • Autarchic 2010/09/28 15:01:31
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    Autarchic
    +5
    An idiot breeding another idiot!
  • d4slawyr 2010/09/28 14:48:12
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    d4slawyr
    +3
    Another "mother of the year". With some schools in our nation already war zones, do events like this fester a Columbine type situation? Violence begets violence. No matter what the socio-economic, racial, religious or ethnic background might be, common sense and even the most basic of parenting skills should produce a better example. Some kids don't have a chance.
  • Charliee Mae 2010/09/28 14:30:27
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    Charliee Mae
    +2
    Myy Mom Would Root For Mee .
  • rebeka 2010/09/28 13:51:51
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    rebeka
    +2
    yes,she has every right to cheer on her child!
  • ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓ 2010/09/28 13:49:40
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓
    +2
    well its her kid, but still white trash
  • METALhe... ↓←↑♣→NV... 2010/09/28 19:33:55
    METALheadMom
    And what would you call her if she was black or Asian dear? Go ahead and just say it. Make my day.
  • ↓←↑♣→NV... METALhe... 2010/09/29 00:08:35 (edited)
    ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓
    +1
    why are you trying to bash me? im just being honest shes white trash
  • Kyoshiro Alexial Renkai 2010/09/28 13:20:06
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    Kyoshiro Alexial Renkai
    +1
    Again, those who are answering "No" are forgetting the basic principles of life; the same principles that other animals live by.
  • METALhe... Kyoshir... 2010/09/28 19:34:30
    METALheadMom
    +1
    RIGHT ON.
  • Mudhole... Kyoshir... 2010/09/28 20:55:44
    Mudhole Brown
    The female animals only fight to protect their young... this was over an ex-boyfriend. And it's trashy and uncouth.
  • Kyoshir... Mudhole... 2010/09/28 21:42:14
    Kyoshiro Alexial Renkai
    Incorrect. While it is true that most animals do fight to protect their young, they also fight for fun. This is not "trashy" at all as you so put it and animals are nearly the very definition of uncouth. Fighting, for ANY reason, should not be looked upon as a "bad" thing.
  • Mudhole... Kyoshir... 2010/09/28 21:57:54
    Mudhole Brown
    That is quite possibly the most ignorant string of sentences that I have ever read.
  • Kyoshir... Mudhole... 2010/09/28 22:36:43
    Kyoshiro Alexial Renkai
    Is it? You just typed such sentences. But then of course in your case, ignorance is bliss.
  • Mudhole... Kyoshir... 2010/09/29 08:11:03 (edited)
    Mudhole Brown
    -Animals do not fight for fun, they do it to protect themselves or their offspring and to establish dominance.
    -Fighting is against the law in Florida... and being in a circle jerk encouraging a teenager to fight is bad parenting and child abuse in Florida.
    -Having this debacle filmed and put on you tube is stupid at the very least.
    -Feeling no remorse over the incident is trashy and common, especially when jail time and the loss of your child to Child Protective Custody is at stake.
    -Fighting over an ex-lover is dumb, especially since they are children, there are more fish in the sea and the "boy" wanted to be with the other girl or the whole incident would have never taken place to begin with.

I would never hire this person, knowing what I know about her now. And I do not know any manager who would. She has limited herself by having child abuse on her record...

You are young and naive... when you get about 20 years more wisdom and have a good idea of how the world works, get back to me. And do a little studying on animal husbandry while you're at it... yes, I am saying that you are the one who is truly ignorant.
  • Kyoshir... Mudhole... 2010/09/29 11:32:39
    Kyoshiro Alexial Renkai
    Fool! The whole reason I posted what I did was to exclaim how wildlife is. Without such things as "laws" or "societies." I'm surrounded by stupidity.
  • Mudhole... Kyoshir... 2010/09/29 22:06:52
    Mudhole Brown
    Your response was," Yes, she was rooting for her kid". And females do not fight over males in wildlife... laws and society are needed or the person with the most bullets would win...
  • KMAN 2010/09/28 13:06:17
    No, what kind of mom does this?
    KMAN
    WELFARE ATTITUDE.
  • La KMAN 2010/09/28 15:44:18
    La
    I don't see the correlation. Please explain.
  • METALhe... KMAN 2010/09/28 19:39:33
    METALheadMom
    +1
    ASSUMING MUCH? Most likely I bring in more money that most people here, and I might be tempted to risk going to jail by joining in on it. It depends on WHY they are fighting - if I feel my daughter has the right to DEFEND herself, I will not stop her. Never lived in a trailer OR been on welfare.
  • Noah Vaile 2010/09/28 11:44:34
    Yes, she was rooting for her kid
    Noah Vaile
    +2
    She was supposed to cheer for the other girl? Or break it up? I guess her daughter was the bigger one.
  • La Noah Vaile 2010/09/28 15:45:15
    La
    I'm guessing she was supposed to break it up. This is blatantly sexist, in my opinion. If it had been her son in a fight, no one would expect the mother to try to break it up.
  • Anna Jay La 2010/09/28 16:34:07

2014/07/24 10:42:16