War on smoking. Is it about their intense concern for your health and well-being? Or is it about taking away your right to make your own choices?

rustex782 2012/09/02 18:46:46
We all love you and want you to be healthy and happy and die from something else besides cigarettes
Revenge on Big Tobacco
I dont want you to choose for yourself because I know what's best for you
I don't know. . . I just follow the herd . . . its a pack mentality thing
Even though obesity and diabetis has become a major issue, Im going to attack smokers because I am not one and I just love my little debbie cakes. . . . dont take my cakes away!! num num num
Because I should have to suffer lung cancer from your second hand smoke while I sit outside getting skin cancer from the sun or while im getting completely wasted and destroying my liver with alcohol at the bar!
FOR GOD'S SAKE! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!
Or is it just to bring down "BIG TOBACCO" as a form of revenge?

• Transquesta 2012/09/02 18:59:30
    Transquesta
    +3
    The overwhelming majority of Americans believe they have the right to tell other people how to live. The anti-smoking/smoker drive is a manifestation of this twisted belief.

• Rob Clary 2012/12/11 03:26:11
    Even though obesity and diabetis has become a major issue, Im going to attack...
    Rob Clary
    Right, if we ban smoking for all the right reasons, we'd better ban about 1000 other bad habits. I detest smoking, but I have no problem if you smoke.
    GO FOR IT!
  • marty 2012/10/01 14:27:52
    marty
    All of the above, but I picked this one because that seems to be the mentality.
  • Jean 2012/09/05 16:20:20
    Revenge on Big Tobacco
    Jean
    RJR and MO were two of the most profitable companies in the US before the gum-mint decided to start lookin' out for you by attacking "Big Tobacco." It's part of the class warfare that is at the heart of leftist ideology - destroy profitable companies, eliminate jobs and force people to become dependent on government while telling them it's for their own good. Look for the same level of attack on "Big Food" soon - McDonalds has been incredibly profitable from 2005 through the present.
  • Jackie 2012/09/05 04:13:16
    Jackie
    These so called caring advocates against smoking, soda, trans fat, salt, fast food, tanning, etc. etc., DO NOT give a rats ass about our health..what they care about is finding ways to raise TAX revenues to fund their OVER spending and they found it along with the help of the MSM on their sides, who've manipulated the American people to think it's because they really "do care" about our health with such and such a "study".. so the ill informed buy into it, and then agree to these ridiculous "sin" taxes. The overweight Mayor of Boston banned soda etc. from City Hall, but was recently on an episode of a Food Network show filling his overweight face with Italian food, touting that he eats lunch their daily???? BUT NO SODA FOR YOU in my City Hall lol!!! Mayor Bloomberg is another one..does he really think that banning salt in restaurants, banning trans fat and banning the sale of soda over 16 oz in NY city will cure obesity???!!! lol..nope just another way to get a fine from a citizen or establishment if they're "caught", only to fund the government of that city. Wink wink people..when a city collects those fines from you for "disobeying" their rules..your fine money goes directly into a GENERAL fund for that city, not to a supposed fund to help fight obesity or the faux war on cigarettes.
  • rustex782 Jackie 2012/09/05 04:17:10
  • Freefall 2012/09/05 03:42:38
    Freefall
    Left wing nazis. Scum. They should eat shlt and fck off.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/09/04 02:56:00
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +1
    Inactivity, stress, pollution, alcohol, sugar, fatty foods, processed foods and smoking tobacco are top killers and yet the government has created a war on marijuana, which is not a killer.

Legislating behavior (as in different forms of prohibition) doesn't work yet some things need to be controlled or banned. It can get complex.

Smoking tobacco should be limited to certain areas because it should be a choice and second hand smoke can also contribute to illness and smoking related deaths.

Past that, let education do its work! It's already dramatically decreased the percentages of people who smoke. It's the best thing we have going. Education.
  • Jackie KarenIn... 2012/09/05 04:35:57
    Jackie
    +1
    Be honest, how many people do you know personally that have died from 2nd hand smoke? I do not know anyone whose died from 2nd hand smoke and I grew up in the era when smokers where EVERYWHERE in my childhood, at my home, at school(smoking areas) at work, restaurants and bars and I've only known ONE person in my 49 years who died of Lung cancer. Look at how many in our country die from being in car accidents, or are the victims of a bad driver or the victims of a drunk driver or the victim of a person in a drunken rage..should we again ban alcohol and now ban cars or tax those to death because they cause more harm than cigarettes?? OF COURSE NOT!! So why is it OK for the government fed/state to keep on taxing cigarettes to ridiculous rates when cigarette smoking actually causes less deaths than that of alcohol and vehicles?? It's because of TAX revenues and the government has convinced Americans that smokers are "evil" and that's why they have to TAX smokers the most. When actually they know booze drinkers cause more harm to citizens lives than smokers do, but taxing booze doesn't go over well, even my liberal state repealed the tax on booze.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/09/03 18:26:56
    We all love you and want you to be healthy and happy and die from something e...
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    I think there's multiple mentalities.

First, smoking raises healthcare costs, not just for the smoker, but every policyholder. Few decisions you make exist in a vacuum anymore.

Second, I think there's a little bit of a "control" thing going on here. I'd say it's more or less subconscious, but controlling this little aspect of a person's life adds a little power to the people in control.

Finally, we live in an era where minding one's on business is a lost art.
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2012/09/03 14:14:13
    Donald Eric Kesler
    I support your right to kill yourself. Tobacco should remain heavily taxed because of the financial burden sick and dying smokers place upon society as a whole.
  • rustex782 Donald ... 2012/09/03 23:22:54
    rustex782
    can you explain to me how that is true
  • Donald ... rustex782 2012/09/04 16:06:25
    Donald Eric Kesler
    According to the CDC, each pack of cigarettes cost the nation an estimated. $10.60 in medical care costs and lost productivity. I wholly support a smoker's right to commit slow suicide; however, something has to be done to address the undue burden that smokers are placing upon non-smokers.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/da...

http://www.tobaccofreemaine.o...
  • rustex782 Donald ... 2012/09/04 16:30:19
  • Harjot 2012/09/03 02:33:11
    Harjot
    +1
    I don't give half a damn if you choose to smoke yourself to death. All I ask is that you leave the rest of us out of it. Keep your disease to yourself; I have enough problems without breathing your tobacco fumes.

Actually, I do care. It's my weakness that I dislike seeing people killing themselves, but there's nothing I can do, so I just ask you not to make me sick, too.
  • Classical Liberal 2012/09/03 01:45:00
    Classical Liberal
    that's all it really is.
    of course, they're afraid to ban it outright. So they just make it less convenient and more expensive until other incentives (in many cases, being able to afford to eat and live in a solid structure) force you to quit.
  • Q 2012/09/03 01:35:32
    Q
    I suspect its more about the health of nonsmokers exposed to second hand smoke and the additional cost added to our healthcare system because of the hazards smoking causes or exacerbates, As an asthmatic I'm glad to finally be able to go out to a restaurant or bar and not have to worry about smoke aggravating my asthma. And I'm sure millions of waiters, bartenders and other staffers are glad to no longer have to breath it as well in their quest to make a living.

But with that being said some of the outdoor smoking bans are probably a bit too much in my opinion.
  • Classic... Q 2012/09/03 01:47:39 (edited)
    Classical Liberal
    Unless they constantly inhabit the same confined space that people smoke in (living in the same apartment complex [with a poorly designed ventilation system] or the same house, working in a smoking bar, being chaffeur to a smoker, etc), the effects of second-hand smoke will be negligible.

With the exception of children living with their smoker parents, which is still perfectly legal, this continual habitation of smoking spaces is a choice.
  • Q Classic... 2012/09/03 03:35:59
    Q
    I had an asthma attack just over five years ago that was triggered by smoke while in an upscale restaurant, since then the city implemented a smoking ban in all bars and restaurants within city limits. Why should a smokers right to smoke in a bar or restaurant override my health concerns?

True story...no exaggeration.
  • Classic... Q 2012/09/03 03:44:31 (edited)
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    In that case, avoid going to restaurants and bars where people are allowed to smoke.

I disagree with laws that ban smoking in restaurant and bars, but I would also disagree with laws that force owners to allow smoking in restaurants and bars.

There were cases of bars seeing higher profits from disallowing smoking inside BEFORE such laws were passed. Depending on your location, it could be a very sound business move, or a very terrible one.

You guys make it sound like the only choice is extremes -- smoke everywhere or smoke nowhere. Why not smoke only where the owners let us, and the people who mind the smoke can just avoid those places?

PS: Most non-smokers don't have asthma attacks from being around cigarette smoke. I think you had breathing problems before this.
  • Q Classic... 2012/09/03 04:17:12
    Q
    You're entitled to your opinion as am I. luckily more and more cities are leaning towards protecting the right of the non smokers to not be subjected to smoke while eating out. I realize that some cities have gone too far, for example they just banned smoking outdoors at a local park where I live which seems ridiculous to me. Its not like I'm not an anti-smoking zealot but I do personally benefit from the bans in restaurants and am glad they went into effect and there are plenty of other people who share my sentiments concerning the bans in restaurants in particular.

Why can't you simply wait for your after meal cigarette until you leave the restaurant instead of saying that your rights trump the public's right not to have to breath your second hand smoke?
  • Classic... Q 2012/09/03 10:51:24 (edited)
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    These laws do not protect anyone's rights. They only violate.
  • KarenIn... Q 2012/09/04 12:47:32 (edited)
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +1
    Sometimes people are so stuck fast (dogmatic) in their smoker's right mode that they'd personally have to go through asthma attacks, and probably severe ones, from second hand smoke in public places before they'd be able to understand that some people's rights end where other people's rights begin.

Until then, they're not going to practice active listening.
  • ALofRI 2012/09/03 01:17:51
    ALofRI
    +1
    You know? I had to choose something out of those dumb answers just to quote a famous actor..."Stupid is as stupid does." Suck away.
  • Catch224u 2012/09/03 00:21:48
    Catch224u
    How much Coke do you drink?
  • rustex782 Catch224u 2012/09/03 00:31:23
    rustex782
    +1
    thats a good point
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/09/02 23:46:12
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Smoking is only number one on the list. Soon there will be a war on other things.

Oh wait, there already is. Fast food, sugar, fat...

What is after that on the list?
  • 3052457 2012/09/02 23:27:51
  • rand 2012/09/02 23:15:57
    rand
    Ultimately society pays for the deleterious effects of negative addictions. If you're going to eventually take yourself out and not impose the costs of hospital bills on society, smoke to your heart's content. When I find I have a terminal illness, I intend to...if my wife has preceded me into the ether.
  • morris44 2012/09/02 23:00:14
    Revenge on Big Tobacco
    morris44
    +1
    I think revenge is a part of it. But when you consider how the tabacco companies intentionally put harmful things (poisons) in their product and covered it up, I can understand why.
  • Eddie 2012/09/02 21:43:58
    Eddie
    Really wish there had been another option.
    I'm a smoker and have been for many many years. After a lifetime of basicly trying to be fairly free thinking in general, I can honestly say that smoking is the only thing that I've honestly ever been addicted to. Can't say I've tried it all but I've certainly run through a lot of it and seen a lot of people develop some serious addiction issues with less eposure that I have had. I know that there are a lot of people around who go on and on about how they just love smoking and don't want anyone ordering them to stop. And I can understand that. We are Americans and we don't like being ordered to do much of anything. But personally I haven't met another smoker who would'nt say that they wish they'd never taken the habit up or ever had that first cigarette. I personally discourage anyone who hasn't smoked to ever start. It's not at all good for anybody. Not the smoker, the family or anyone else. It takes away money that could be better spent in most any other way. It puts serious and largely avoidable strain on our health and medical resources. But most of all, it detracts from one's own sense of self respect and personal responsibility to oneself. I realize that all of this makes me a bit of a hypocite maybe but I accept that. At least...
    I'm a smoker and have been for many many years. After a lifetime of basicly trying to be fairly free thinking in general, I can honestly say that smoking is the only thing that I've honestly ever been addicted to. Can't say I've tried it all but I've certainly run through a lot of it and seen a lot of people develop some serious addiction issues with less eposure that I have had. I know that there are a lot of people around who go on and on about how they just love smoking and don't want anyone ordering them to stop. And I can understand that. We are Americans and we don't like being ordered to do much of anything. But personally I haven't met another smoker who would'nt say that they wish they'd never taken the habit up or ever had that first cigarette. I personally discourage anyone who hasn't smoked to ever start. It's not at all good for anybody. Not the smoker, the family or anyone else. It takes away money that could be better spent in most any other way. It puts serious and largely avoidable strain on our health and medical resources. But most of all, it detracts from one's own sense of self respect and personal responsibility to oneself. I realize that all of this makes me a bit of a hypocite maybe but I accept that. At least on this one issue. Honestly, it's kinda like committing suicide but instead of using a gun and doing it all at once. It's more like using your thumb and pushing the bullet in slowly. Suicide is a crime. There are laws against it. (Though I'm not so sure that there should'nt be exceptions in some cases. I never thought Dr. Kavorkian was really doing a bad thing necessarily. But that's another discussion.) So I'm not so sure that the governmentisn't actually just trying to do it's job gently in this case.
  • Jan 2012/09/02 21:43:08
    Jan
    +1
    I used to smoke a long time ago. These days I don't allow it in my home and I won't take my grandchildren anywhere that there is likely to be smokers present. I don't want their lungs filled with the harmful chemicals from cigarettes if I can prevent it.
  • john 2012/09/02 21:24:37
    john
    +2
    we as non smokers have suffered years, before the ban and now it is a pleasure to be able to sit in a pub or restaurant without coming home stinking of smoke and breathing in smoke while eating and drinking
  • Heptarch 2012/09/02 21:23:20
    Heptarch
    Since you didn't really provide an unbiased answer, that's what I chose.

What it is is not wanting people to kill themselves on purpose, then claim health benefits.
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/09/02 21:22:24
    Kaleokualoha
    It's a public health & safety issue, like STD's and traffic laws. But there is a difference between personal hazards and hazards to others. Smoking indoors is a hazard to others while smoking outdoors usually affects only the smoker.
  • David 2012/09/02 21:06:27
    Because I should have to suffer lung cancer from your second hand smoke while...
    David
    I don't get a choice if I am exposed to your second hand smoking, but I do get a choice whether I want to sit outside getting skin cancer!

You can't give me second hand skin cancer by exposing yourself too much sun!
  • holly g... David 2012/09/02 21:15:35
    holly go lightly
    You are always able to get away from it.You just want someone to be responsible for what you have done.
  • David holly g... 2012/09/02 21:22:19
    David
    This is an issue which smokers have lost in my area so I have no intention of debating it!
  • Eddie David 2012/09/02 21:50:45
    Eddie
    +1
    I am a smoker David. I totally agree with you. I have never thought it was my right to oppress someone else with my own personal habits.
  • holly g... David 2012/09/02 22:44:24
    holly go lightly
    Of course you don't but the question was asked and you responded.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/09/02 21:02:11
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    You've pretty much nailed the TRUTH on all your answer selections....

2014/09/22 05:33:59