Waiter Stands Up for Boy with Down Syndrome: Common Decency or Hero? [VIDEO]

Fef 2013/01/24 19:03:45
Michael Garcia, a waiter in Houston, Texas, refused to serve customers who acted rudely toward a 5-year-old boy with Down Syndrome. "I heard the man say, 'Special needs children need to be special somewhere else'… My personal feelings took over, and I told him, 'I'm not going to be able to serve you, Sir… How could you say that?… How could you say that about a beautiful 5-year-old angel?'"

Garcia refused to serve the customers who threatened to leave if nobody else served them. Garcia responded, "Good!" and they left the restaurant. The restaurant has since gained many new customers for Garcia's common decency.

I applaud Mr. Garcia for his actions. I would go out of my way to patronize the restaurant and give him a giant tip. But should we hold him up as a hero? Or did he do what common decency demands? Has the media made a huge event out of this because we have lost all perspective on common decency, which makes this unusual -- and heroic?

Waiter Down Syndrome

BUZZFEED.COM reports:
A waiter for a Houston restaurant refused to serve a group of customers after he heard them making rude comments about a 5-year-old bo...

restaurant refused serve group customers heard rude comments 5-year-old bo

Read More: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/houston-wait...

• Gilead 2013/01/24 19:05:18
    Common Decency
    Gilead
    +9
    Though I can understand the hero worship. Common decency being so rare as to appear heroic any more and all.

• Spider20 2013/02/21 07:10:21
    Common Decency
    Spider20
    Should be common decency, but too often it's not....that waiter's my kinda guy....
  • Platinum Fangs 2013/01/27 03:38:17
    Common Decency
    Platinum Fangs
    How sad is the state of society that when someone does the right thing, they're known as a hero?
  • No One 2013/01/26 23:46:54
    Hero
    No One
    It can be hard to bring yourself to stand up to a group of rude people knowing that they might turn on you once you do so.
  • virginiakarsli 2013/01/26 19:53:18
    Hero
    virginiakarsli
    It's hard to stand up to a bully, especially an ignorant one!
  • whateverbabynevermind 2013/01/26 19:36:46
    Common Decency
    whateverbabynevermind
    +1
    People shouldn't be rewarded for being kind. I'm not saying that it isn't a great thing to be, but it shouldn't be considered a special event. A boy in my school has aspergers but our whole year defends him when he gets made fun of by other years, but we don't expect acclamation.
  • Bolrog 2013/01/26 12:18:49
    Common Decency
    Bolrog
    While i have seen some parents of kids with disabilities use it as an excuse not to discipline or control their "special" kids; it should not be a problem at all if the parents are actively controlling their kids in public out of courtesy of others. Manners need to be observed on both sides and not just give carte blanche to these "special" kids.
  • DutchHeretic Native non-Ame... 2013/01/25 20:08:24
    Hero
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    I have chosen " hero" because he actually acted, instead of ignoring it ..
    Not many people have the courage to do that
  • lisa 2013/01/25 16:19:39
    Hero
    lisa
    Should be more people taking a stand in always doing what is right in this world even if it is not in proper alignment with your family and friends opinions..Follow your heart and God's word...
  • Danielle 2013/01/25 15:55:06
    Hero
    Danielle
    I'll label him a hero since it's such a rarity to see the majority of people do the right thing these days. Way back when, this would have been expected but it also would have been expected for that low-life chum to hold his tongue too.
  • Tucker 2013/01/25 15:07:19
    Hero
    Tucker
    +2
    I don't like our world today....... This man is a Hero by today's standards. I grew up when a person made a comment like that would get his ass beat. Kudos for standing up for what is right thing to do.
  • Danielle Tucker 2013/01/25 15:55:58
    Danielle
    +1
    It's true.
  • You Know IT 2013/01/25 14:40:06
    Common Decency
    You Know IT
    +1
    Who the hell cares whether he is a hero or not, he did the right thing.
  • trap flapper 2013/01/25 14:28:41
    Hero
    trap flapper
    +1
    What a wonderful thing to do!! People nowadays are rude and crude. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, keep your mouth shut!!
  • Harriet M Welch 2013/01/25 14:07:11
    Hero
    Harriet M Welch
    +1
    Sometimes it is the decent things that we do in life that makes us heroes.
  • Tattoo Nana 2013/01/25 10:08:14
    Common Decency
    Tattoo Nana
    +1
    Kudos to Michael Garcia!! ALL people should behave in this manner when presented with such a situation. I am glad he spoke up AND stood his ground for his integrity. The rude customers need to go to somewhere with a drive thru so they won't be "bothered" by anyone who isn't perfect. Their behavior is shameful - I would like to see their faces plastered all over the news to expose them as the bigots that they are!

And the natural consequence of the waiter's behavior based on his integrity is higher traffic to the restaurant and I'm sure he'll get some great tips for a bit. He should be proud of himself as should his employer. Everyone - take lessons from him! And God bless that little sweet boy :)
  • Yankee Traveler 2013/01/25 09:42:35
    Common Decency
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    That is just plain common decency which is now very uncommon, especially amongst the younger crowd. And the child was in the right place, it was everyone else that was in the wrong place.
  • Cat 2013/01/25 06:35:51
    Hero
    Cat
    +1
    A hero for the boy and for the learning disabled everywhere.
  • ruru 2013/01/25 06:02:28
    Hero
    ruru
    He could have been fired for his actions, but yet he done the right thing.
  • Kunschner 2013/01/25 04:24:38
    Hero
    Kunschner
    +2
    When common decency isn't common enough, it is - in part - heroic.
  • rereblue 2013/01/25 03:50:25
    Common Decency
    rereblue
    +3
    At least it should be. That waiter is a very, Very good person.
  • Reggie☮ 2013/01/25 03:44:26
    Common Decency
    Reggie☮
    +3
    Commom decency, but it's so rare these days.
  • EDWARD G 2013/01/25 03:40:44
    Common Decency
    EDWARD G
    +2
    To view this man as a hero is a tacit admission that common decency is dead in this country. I am not ready to concede that, and I hope like hell I'm right.
  • La Bef 2013/01/25 03:22:58
    Common Decency
    La Bef
    +3
    Had he done nothing he would be as bad as the bully.
  • Swordfish 2013/01/25 03:08:33
    Hero
    Swordfish
    +3
    I'll call him a hero, but what's really sad is that "common decency" is so UNCOMMON these days that such actions are now praised as being heroic. Notice that ONE man stood up against CUSTOMERS (plural).
  • Racquelle 2013/01/25 03:03:44
    Common Decency
    Racquelle
    +2
    He's a bit of both, sadly I agree with many who've said there's not much decency anymore. I am completely shocked by those awful people. If I ever witnessed that kind of ignorance I would have something to say...
  • MentalGopher 2013/01/25 02:53:28
    Common Decency
    MentalGopher
    +2
    It's nice that he stood up for the kid, but I don't think I'd go so far as to call him a hero for that.
  • Bureauc 0Blunder 2013/01/25 02:21:34
    Hero
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    +2
    He is a hero in my book and we could use more like him.
    I seem to remember 0bama making fun of special needs children, and I invite him to leave as well.
    Common Decency
    +3
    A very UNCOMMON Trait nowadays ..
    he's definitely a HERO to stand up to those who would be so rude ..
    KUDOS to this young man ..
    who definitely let the rude one know the lesson ..
    doesn't matter what one looks like .... young or old ..
    just be decent to another
  • Steve Boston 2013/01/25 01:55:49
    Common Decency
    Steve Boston
    +2
    It's actually a sad statement that common decency in our country is deemed heroic. I like to think that we the people are committing acts of common decency every day. I do commend this guy and would shake his hand if I could.
  • Gregaj7 2013/01/25 01:39:23
    Hero
    +2
    Truly, both, and I also applaud his actions:
    standing ovation  gif
  • The Electrician 2013/01/25 01:13:07 (edited)
    Common Decency
    The Electrician
    I'll bet he's a Liberal. My wife and I were 1 of 3 couples that chaperoned 20 Handicapped "kids", the youngest was about 30. We encountered the same thing on all 3 trips that we participated in. See a lot of that here in the So. Florida. It really sucks.
  • Bureauc... The Ele... 2013/01/25 03:22:25
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    +1
    You bet he's a liberal, why?
    Don't you remember all the vile hatred liberals directed at Trig Palin and
    Obama making jokes at the expense of handicapped people?
    Oh, you were talking about the rude pricks making fun of the child, never mind, my bad.
  • The Ele... Bureauc... 2013/01/25 03:32:00
    The Electrician
    +1
    I agree, but that's nothing compare to the vile and unfounded crap that's posted daily by the the Conservative mindset. Please give me an eaxmple of some of the things posted about Trig Palin.
  • Bureauc... The Ele... 2013/01/25 05:29:02
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    +1
    http://www.examiner.com/artic...
    Obama mocks disabled children with his low life comments on special Olympics. Have you seen that jackass throw a ball? He looks handicapped himself.
  • Kozmo 2013/01/25 01:11:36
    Common Decency
    Kozmo
    +2
    But still a paragon for others
  • AM 2013/01/25 01:08:46 (edited)
  • Super ludum 2013/01/25 00:43:58
  • patrick.bonacoscia 2013/01/25 00:21:20
    Common Decency
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +3
    That's a Man, capital M
  • Mark In Irvine 2013/01/25 00:17:11
    Common Decency
    Mark In Irvine
    +3
    sadly, decency is not so common ...
  • RobHom 2013/01/25 00:05:06
    Hero
    RobHom
    +1
    It is well past time that people in this country pull their heads out of their asses and accept the fact that not everyone is as perfect as they think they are or should be!!

I have a friend who has a down's syndrome child...and yes, she can be a pistol... but she is also a real cute kid....and a sweetheart.... Deal with reality folks... If you don't want to see the real world.....STAY HOME!!

I applaud Mr. Garcia for taking a stand!!

2014/04/16 07:44:36