VP Biden Says Marriage is 'Simple Proposition': Agree?

Fef 2012/05/08 06:21:34
Vice President Joe Biden tried to defend his unpopular position on same sex marriage by saying, “Look, I just think that the good news is that as more and more Americans come to understand what this is all about is a simple proposition. Who do you love?"

Simple? I don' t think so. Nearly 41% of first marriages in America end in divorce. Theses divorces likely began with a loving relationship. They all learned that it takes more than love to make a marriage (or any relationship) work.
divorce

Read More: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/nbc-biden-lauds-nb...

• Bastion 2012/05/08 14:28:49
    Marriage is Simple
    Bastion
    +12
    Two people, one contract. Simple.

It's the wackos trying to make some supernatural mumbo-jumbo out of it that's complicated.

• YouSirName 2012/05/10 23:54:08
    Marriage is Simple
    YouSirName
    Just because it's simple, doesn't make it easy to make the right choice, nor to stick to the commitment.
  • Michael The Archangel 2012/05/10 22:45:19
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Michael The Archangel
    BUT IF HE DOES HE IS BIDEN TO BE DAMNED

Zion or United States, May 10, 2012

What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)

THE EAST WIND OF DESTRUCTION.

Gay marriage: How Americans, like Obama, are ‘evolving’ on the issue
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/t...

This people of this country and all the nations of the gentiles and/or of the world that suffer these iniquities and abominations to be, should fear and tremble because they have no idea of the sudden destruction that awaits them unless they speedily repent and amend their ways.

The commandments of God are not suggestions or merely good ideas; they are the constitution of eternal life. And they are non negotiable and no amount of democratic support for wickedness will change that fact anywhere, at any time and in any place. For it is written that the LORD cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance and that even if the heavens and the earth shall pass away, but that the word of the LROD shall not pass away and that it shall be fulfilled. And it is also written that if the people sow filthiness they shall reap the EAST WIND, which brings about imminent sudden destruction in the form of the sword, plagues, famine and pestilence among other grievou...

BUT IF HE DOES HE IS BIDEN TO BE DAMNED

Zion or United States, May 10, 2012

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)

THE EAST WIND OF DESTRUCTION.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/t...

The commandments of God are not suggestions or merely good ideas; they are the constitution of eternal life. And they are non negotiable and no amount of democratic support for wickedness will change that fact anywhere, at any time and in any place. For it is written that the LORD cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance and that even if the heavens and the earth shall pass away, but that the word of the LROD shall not pass away and that it shall be fulfilled. And it is also written that if the people sow filthiness they shall reap the EAST WIND, which brings about imminent sudden destruction in the form of the sword, plagues, famine and pestilence among other grievous and desolating judgments and scourges. Here is the law and the testimony:

For behold, the Lord hath said: I will not succor my people in the day of their transgression; but I will hedge up their ways that they prosper not; and their doings shall be as a stumbling block before them.

And again, he saith: If my people shall sow filthiness they shall reap the chaff thereof in the whirlwind; and the effect thereof is poison. And again he saith: If my people shall sow filthiness they shall reap the east wind, which bringeth immediate destruction.

And now, behold, the promise of the Lord is fulfilled, and ye are smitten and afflicted.

But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 7:29 - 33)

And it shall come to pass that I will smite this my people with sore afflictions, yea, with famine and with pestilence; and I will cause that they shall howl all the day long. Yea, and I will cause that they shall have burdens lashed upon their backs; and they shall be driven before like a dumb ass.

And it shall come to pass that I will send forth hail among them, and it shall smite them; and they shall also be smitten with the east wind; and insects shall pester their land also, and devour their grain. And they shall be smitten with a great pestilence—and all this will I do because of their iniquities and abominations.

And it shall come to pass that except they repent I will utterly destroy them from off the face of the earth; yet they shall leave a record behind them, and I will preserve them for other nations which shall possess the land; yea, even this will I do that I may discover the abominations of this people to other nations.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 12:4 - 8)

Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.

And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:26 - 27)

HEARKEN, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together. For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men, and there is none to escape; and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated. And the rebellious shall be pierced with much sorrow; for their iniquities shall be spoken upon the housetops, and their secret acts shall be revealed.

And the voice of warning shall be unto all people, by the mouths of my disciples, whom I have chosen in these last days. And they shall go forth and none shall stay them, for I the Lord have commanded them.

Behold, this is mine authority, and the authority of my servants, and my preface unto the book of my commandments, which I have given them to publish unto you, O inhabitants of the earth.

Wherefore, fear and tremble, O ye people, for what I the Lord have decreed in them shall be fulfilled. And verily I say unto you, that they who go forth, bearing these tidings unto the inhabitants of the earth, to them is power given to seal both on earth and in heaven, the unbelieving and rebellious; Yea, verily, to seal them up unto the day when the wrath of God shall be poured out upon the wicked without measure— Unto the day when the Lord shall come to recompense unto every man according to his work, and measure to every man according to the measure which he has measured to his fellow man.

Wherefore the voice of the Lord is unto the ends of the earth, that all that will hear may hear: Prepare ye, prepare ye for that which is to come, for the Lord is nigh; And the anger of the Lord is kindled, and his sword is bathed in heaven, and it shall fall upon the inhabitants of the earth. And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people; For they have strayed from mine ordinances, and have broken mine everlasting covenant; They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.

Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments; And also gave commandments to others, that they should proclaim these things unto the world; and all this that it might be fulfilled, which was written by the prophets— The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh— But that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world; That faith also might increase in the earth; That mine everlasting covenant might be established; That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers.

Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding. And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known; And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed; And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent; And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time. And after having received the record of the Nephites, yea, even my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., might have power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God, the Book of Mormon.

And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually— For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance; Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven; And he that repents not, from him shall be taken even the light which he has received; for my Spirit shall not always strive with man, saith the Lord of Hosts.

And again, verily I say unto you, O inhabitants of the earth: I the Lord am willing to make these things known unto all flesh; For I am no respecter of persons, and will that all men shall know that the day speedily cometh; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand, when peace shall be taken from the earth, and the devil shall have power over his own dominion. And also the Lord shall have power over his saints, and shall reign in their midst, and shall come down in judgment upon Idumea, or the world.

Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled. What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same. For behold, and lo, the Lord is God, and the Spirit beareth record, and the record is true, and the truth abideth forever and ever. Amen.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:1 - 39)

These things I say not of myself but as the LORD has spoken he shall also fulfill. Therefore, as one having authority, I now seal up the testimony and bind up the law among the Lord’s disciples and I do it I the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Attentively yours from an unworthy servant in the hands of Christ

Miguel Angel Tinoco Rodriguez

Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor. Therefore, they are left without excuse, and their sins are upon their own heads.

He that seeketh me early shall find me, and shall not be forsaken. Therefore, tarry ye, and labor diligently, that you may be perfected in your ministry to go forth among the Gentiles for the last time, as many as the mouth of the Lord shall name, to bind up the law and seal up the testimony, and to prepare the saints for the hour of judgment which is to come; That their souls may escape the wrath of God, the desolation of abomination which awaits the wicked, both in this world and in the world to come.

Verily, I say unto you, let those who are not the first elders continue in the vineyard until the mouth of the Lord shall call them, for their time is not yet come; their garments are not clean from the blood of this generation. Abide ye in the liberty wherewith ye are made free; entangle not yourselves in sin, but let your hands be clean, until the Lord comes.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:81 - 86)
  • ConservativeMom 2012/05/10 19:36:07
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    ConservativeMom
    Biden never even thinks before he speaks...he spouts nonsense 99.9% of the time...If anyone thinks marriage is simple, then they have been extremely Blessed...doesn't matter if they are a traditional union or a "gay/lesbian" union...it's not simple, but it can be rewarding.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/05/10 15:37:48
    Marriage is Simple
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    It's simple in that it involves a man and a woman, period.
  • Nestofasssps 2012/05/10 14:09:03
    Marriage is Simple
    Nestofasssps
    The marriage part is simple..Keeping the love, respect, and friendship intact is the hard part.
    heterosexual marriage
    Marriage is Simple
    +2
    Respect and love one another and everything else will be dealt with in like manner.

He is really very correct. Mine has lasted 46 years and still going strong.
  • Chanch 2012/05/10 02:08:12
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Chanch
    +1
    Marriage is simple in the tradition. One man,one woman joined in holy matrimony working out a life together as God intended ! Period !
  • ajracestables1 2012/05/10 00:44:48
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    ajracestables1
    Marrage requires hard work and effort by both the man and woman, divorce is simple because it is the easy way out, sometimes divorce is the only solution but I think there are alot of times some people don't want to try anymore because it is very hard to overcome some of the challenges that come with marrage.
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    if that was true, why do I have to pay the GOVERNMENT for a license to get married???
    food for thought
  • joe ramirez 2012/05/09 23:03:18
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    joe ramirez
    Especially when it has been handed down to us from God as holy matrimony! It amazes me that politicians like Biden, and Obama, think they know more than God concerning this issue! Sodom and Gohmorrah were completely destroyed for "their wickedness." If people don't think it matters;It matters to God! There are always consequences for legislating laws that are contrary to the Laws of God!
  • Giantsfan 2012/05/09 22:55:34
    Marriage is Simple
    Giantsfan
    +1
    Two people in love how much more simple can it be. While some change at a snails pace others take less time to evolve. 6 years ago I was for civil unions now I'm for gay marriage. It's a civil right. At one time only white male property owners could vote. How times have changed for the better.
  • Stix Giantsfan 2012/05/10 05:15:31
    Stix
    +1
    I am all for your right to hold your opinion...I expect you will support my right to hold the other point of view ?
  • Giantsfan Stix 2012/05/10 15:30:37
    Giantsfan
    +1
    Sure I do. What's right for you is wrong for me and vice versa. I was very conservative for many years now not very much and it's been like a piano has been taken from my back. We (ex conservatives for me) conservatives have been on the wrong side of history many times starting with the conservative Jewish religious leaders pushing to have Jesus put to death, slavery, women's civil rights, minority civil rights, and now gay civil rights. That's how I feel and I hope you can respect how I now feel. I have evolved over the past 20 years or so and it feels good to be set free of my restrictive thinking in certain areas.
  • Stix Giantsfan 2012/05/10 16:33:16
    Stix
    +1
    You are wrong on the conservative possitions of Jewish religious leaders. slavery, minority civil rights...those were liberal people who restricted these classes their freedoms... Winston Churchill once said "When you are 20 and not a liberal, you have no heart. But when you are 40 and not a conservative, you have no brain."
  • Giantsfan Stix 2012/05/10 22:47:05
    Giantsfan
    I am not wrong. Conservatives were for slavery. Conservatives were against women's rights and conservatives were against civil rights now they are against gay rights. Conservatives hate change and feel more comfortable with things as they were. It's the definition of conservative. Now I could care less about what Churchill said. Just one conservative's opinion. The Jewish religious leaders were ultra conservatives. They had Jesus handed over to the Romans and killed. It's all in the bible and history books. Look at your Orthodox Jews and you'll see back into the past and the way it was to a certain but lesser extent.
  • Stix Giantsfan 2012/05/11 00:21:02 (edited)
    Stix
    Not only are you wrong you are ignorant also...seems to me it was Abe Lincoln ...a republican who ended slavery...the democrats were responsible for the KKK and Jim Crow laws in the South...remember George Wallace... a democrat who stood in the school house door to keep blacks out...it was the republcans who passed the civil rights act of 1964...more democrats voted against the bill then voted for it...you can have your own opinion but you can't have your own set of facts...do some reading and learn something instead of parroting left winged lies.
  • Giantsfan Stix 2012/05/11 03:08:49
    Giantsfan
    Did I mention democrats or republicans? No I didn't. I mentioned conservatives and the conservatives in the civil war were the southerners, the conservatives were the KKK, the conservatives were the democrats during the civil rights years which caused a shift to the republican party by southern conservative democrats and the northern liberal republicans are now the present day democrats. It seems you are the one ignorant of historical facts. Do a little reading. It's all history. This isn't about parties it's about conservatives and liberals and each time liberals were on the right side of history and conservatives were on the wrong side of history. Your record for being on the right side of history is a perfect zero.
  • Simi Dave 2012/05/09 22:19:21
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Simi Dave
    +1
    This guy makes Dan Quayle look like a Rhodes Scholar!
  • vinny 2012/05/09 21:59:01
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    vinny
    It used to be simpler. When America was predominantly Christian there was consensus on what the relationship called marriage was. Biden may be right, if most Americans think it's just a matter of "Who you love" then the so called Gay marriage might make sense as long as we ingnor the mental and phisical health issues, but that's another story.

My problem is that if we call a relationship between homosexuals marriage, then what are we to call the relationship between men and women that has been refered to as marriage for centuries? Will marriage become another one of those words with multiple meanings? Or will we always have to qualify it with an adjective, 'gay marriage', 'secular marriage', 'normal marriage".... etc. ?
  • Mike 2012/05/09 19:47:56 (edited)
    Marriage is Simple
    It's simply, a bonding of two people, as one. The problem is, according to the dictionary, "marriage" is a bonding between man and wife. Wife is defined, as woman and man, as man. The question is to redefine a word that has been accepted as is, since the time of it's conception, to include the bonding of the same sexes? Since many laws created in the past revolve around marriage between male and female and their different needs, as being opposite sexes and their children, as well as, the problems brought about by breaking of the bond, only makes it more complicated to the law system when two of the same sex want the same rights and laws applied to them. Most laws which were original designed to take into consideration the differences between male and female and their roles as parents to any children conceived through the bonding. It's opened a can of peas in the legal system, let alone the publics thoughts to the meaning of "marriage" as we know it. Personally, I think the definition, as it was conceived, should stand and another legal term found to represent the bonding between same sex couples, which law could define, as a bonding of two into one, but also take into consideration the non differences between sexes involved and their legal roles to one another and as parents a...
    It's simply, a bonding of two people, as one. The problem is, according to the dictionary, "marriage" is a bonding between man and wife. Wife is defined, as woman and man, as man. The question is to redefine a word that has been accepted as is, since the time of it's conception, to include the bonding of the same sexes? Since many laws created in the past revolve around marriage between male and female and their different needs, as being opposite sexes and their children, as well as, the problems brought about by breaking of the bond, only makes it more complicated to the law system when two of the same sex want the same rights and laws applied to them. Most laws which were original designed to take into consideration the differences between male and female and their roles as parents to any children conceived through the bonding. It's opened a can of peas in the legal system, let alone the publics thoughts to the meaning of "marriage" as we know it. Personally, I think the definition, as it was conceived, should stand and another legal term found to represent the bonding between same sex couples, which law could define, as a bonding of two into one, but also take into consideration the non differences between sexes involved and their legal roles to one another and as parents and as seen in the eyes of law. Definitely a distinction between the bonding of opposite sexes and same sexes is needed, because of the legal implications to each situation, they will be different. Like the definition of "marriage" in the dictionary.
  • Thomas 45 2012/05/09 19:47:19
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Thomas 45
    J.B. is NWO and has no moral compass!
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/05/09 19:27:44 (edited)
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Andy Fletcher
    Ok, I watched the interview. And he did say that, word for word. But the question was "Do you believe in/support same sex marriage?". He was asked at least four times in a manner that begged for a simple yes no answer. He deferred sort of to civil unions without even committing to that term. He danced around it and did NOT answer the question one way or another. It was an extremely disingenuous response to an issue where an honest response would probably lose Obama more votes than it gained.

*EDIT* After now having read every response so far in this thread, Biden was not saying that marriage in and of itself was simple. He was avoiding answering yes or no to the question "Do you support same sex marriage".
  • Marie-Jacqueline 2012/05/09 19:08:55
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    Neither answer will do!
    I think the writer of this post makes the wrong conclusion what the statement of VP Biden is concerned.

I read the article and in my opinion VP Biden is telling it just at it is.
    It doesn't matter if it is between man-woman, woman-woman, man-man
    Marriage is about being with the one you love!

What a lot of Americans do is combining a civil union with a church union.
    If your doing that some people will get problems by imposing their religious personal believes on other, making the whole issue unnessasary difficult and blurred.

In the Netherlands you have a civil union and a church union.
    In order to marry in church you have to be married by law.
    Some people marry by law, others will marry by law and church.

In The Netherlands in 2001 same sex marriage, that means all the rights and obligations connected with it, was allowed by law.
    The law was accepted by a fast majority of parlement.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/05/09 17:39:27
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    HarleyCharley
    Biden is a idiot....
  • Pilot337 2012/05/09 17:22:27
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    Pilot337
    +1
    And it has nothing to do with "untraditional" or "traditional" marriage. If Mr. Biden thinks there's ANYTHING simple about a marriage, HE'S the simple one. But I already thought that about him anyway...
  • SoCal71 2012/05/09 17:06:49
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    SoCal71
    +1
    It's called compromise. When both sides agree to move forward. America is NOT in favor of Gay Marriage, but we are open to allowing the same rights under civil unions.

Clearly gays don't want to compromise so instead they will get nothing.
  • Kyle 2012/05/09 16:58:11
    Marriage is Simple
    Kyle
    +1
    I think marriage is simple, just not easy. Like climbing Mount Everest it's simple enough, go to the mountain and start climbing until you reach the top, it's not easy though. Also I just wanted to add this because of that "who do you love" comment:

• brenda 2012/05/09 16:50:54
  • Willie 2012/05/09 16:45:28
    Marriage is Simple
    Willie
    +1
    You completely misunderstood what Mr. Biden was saying.

He wasn't saying that marriage is easy, he was saying that the concept of marriage equality is simple. Which it is. John wants to marry Mary? Okay. Sally wants to marry Jane? Also okay. See how simple it is?
  • Gwen 2012/05/09 16:45:08
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    Gwen
    +2
    If it is "who do you love"....

then what if I love__________________(fill in the blank: kid, brothers, 5 women, 3 men
    ....my german shepherd) is that marriage?

marriage is marriage.....civil unions are civil unions...
  • Eliot Loney 2012/05/09 16:34:14
    Marriage is Simple
    Eliot Loney
    +3
    Marriage is not simple, but the definition of marriage is, one man one woman.
  • brenda Eliot L... 2012/05/09 16:54:15
  • addie 2012/05/09 16:23:25
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    addie
    +2
    Even, if the two people are nuts about each other, it takes work!
  • kurtanderson1 2012/05/09 16:05:52
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    kurtanderson1
    +1
    Biden talks way too much.
  • laura 2012/05/09 15:55:07
    Marriage is NOT Simple
    laura
    +1
    Getting the government involved in ANYTHING makes things complicated. The government should get OUT of the marriage license business, period. A simple contract could suffice, and if you wanted a religious ceremony, so be it. I'm a Christian, and though I don't approve of homosexuality, homosexual marriage, etc. it's not up to me to be a moral compass or impose my views. If you want to call it marriage equality, fine. People should have the liberty to make consensual contracts when they're a legal age.
  • caius madison 2012/05/09 15:53:03
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    caius madison
    +1
    I posted on a very similar question befor and am going to say the same thing again, marraige is a practice of the church before there was govt. So why is the government trying to go against the teachings of god and allow same sex marraige? It should be allowed that same sex couples can be joined together ceremonialy, but it cannot be a marraige. Many more people in this country are religious than gay or lesbian or bi so it would much more unfair to force religion into siding on grounds it is bound by faith to oppose. The government needs to make a "legal unification" law that grant the same recognition as marraige as well as tax and shared property/prenuptual agreements. Simply put, it isn't right to force religion to compromise a sanctity of one it's oldest institutions for new age beliefes that it has long opposed. Remember, the biggest freedom that this country has fought for is religious freedom.
  • Bob S 2012/05/09 15:37:49
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Bob S
    +2
    Looking back over the years, many years in fact.....VP Biden has been wrong on just about everything he has said or predicted. No need to list them all here at this time. Once again he has opened mouth and as usual he inserts both feet. With friends like him who needs enemies?
  • wicked ... Bob S 2012/05/09 16:25:47
    wicked soda boy
    +1
    He's gaffe-tastic! :D
  • The Mosher 2012/05/09 15:33:51
    Marriage is Simple
    The Mosher
    +2
    Marriage is and is not simple but the really complicated part is BEFORE you get married because you have to really think rather than jump head first if you want to marry someone. And how is Biden's position unpopular when many polls have shown that over 50% of Americans have no problem with gay marriage
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/05/09 15:15:25
    Biden doesn't even know what he says
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    Since 'Simple' describes Biden...it is not surprising that things are 'simple; to Biden

2014/12/21 06:12:42