Vogue Vows Not to Work With Models Under 16: Right Move or Big Deal Over Nothing?

Under 16 and looking to score a modeling gig at Vogue? You're out of luck. And if you look like you might have an eating disorder, you'd better keep job hunting, too. The editors of Vogue magazines around the world have agreed to "not knowingly work with models under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder," according to a Conde Nast International announcement Thursday, The Associated Press reports.

"Vogue believes that good health is beautiful. Vogue Editors around the world want the magazines to reflect their commitment to the health of the models who appear on the pages and the well-being of their readers," said Conde Nast International Chairman Jonathan Newhouse in a statement. The editors said they will ask casting directors to check IDs at photo shoots, fashion shows and ad campaigns -- and ex-model Sara Ziff thinks it's a great idea.

"Most editions of Vogue regularly hire models who are minors, so for Vogue to commit to no longer using models under the age of 16 marks an evolution in the industry," Ziff, founder of the The Model Alliance, which strives to improve the working conditions of models, told the AP. "We hope other magazines and fashion brands will follow Vogue's impressive lead." Do you agree that the moves are necessary? Or do they go too far?

• jaydenvdv 2012/05/28 19:42:54
    Right move
    jaydenvdv
    +1
    We push our kids to grow up too fast as it is. Keep kid models in ads meant for kids. It's what our teens should be looking at, other kids, vouge is for grown women.
  • lilliannanicole 2012/05/23 00:11:01
    Right move
    lilliannanicole
    good job vogue!
  • Anthony Gosselin 2012/05/18 12:00:56
    Right move
    Anthony Gosselin
    I think it's the right move for eating disorders. Healthy women are beautiful women most of the time.
  • MDC 2012/05/16 04:16:21
    Right move
    MDC
    Models have rights too! They need safe work conditions, healthy foods supplied in shoots (doing a shoot at 3 A.M. musn't be fun and models need energy for the next long hours), models under the age of 16 shouldn't be hired as they are usually exploited without them knowing and ED's are just terrible! If you want to support model rights visit The Model Alliance please http://modelalliance.org/ and join top models like Coco Rocha, Crystal Renn and important figures of the fashion industry (head of the CFDA and famous designer Diave von Furstenberg and editor in chief of Vogue US Anna Wintour, for example).
    Modeling is not as safe as fun as you think it is, please read some articles in the Model Alliance.
    Kudos to Vogue for supporting model rights (and Raquel Zimmerman looks amazing in that Vogue shoot, by the way!)
    natalia vodianova vogue
  • micaela prinsloo 2012/05/14 16:10:51
    Right move
    micaela prinsloo
    showing provocative of skinny teens is sending a message to other girls, and even boys! that you have to look a certain way to be deemed attractive
  • Badger 2012/05/09 00:57:08
    Right move
    Badger
    If the pictures of the model could count as child pornography then they should not appear in a national publication.

If it is pedophilia for an adult to take pictures of a half naked teenager in private, then why is it okay for a national publication.

Equality = 1 law, 1 rule, 1 people.
  • jdenos1 2012/05/09 00:21:35
    Right move
    jdenos1
    it was a really good idea, it keeps the pressure from the teenage girls to be that skinny girl on the cover.
  • granny 2012/05/08 22:14:06
    Right move
    granny
    good for vouge!!!!
  • putdownthedrugsandcomegetahug 2012/05/08 18:12:21
    Right move
    putdownthedrugsandcomegetahug
    Girls probably need to grow up first before they become pressured to diet all the time.
  • Green Living Guy 2012/05/08 14:31:22
    Right move
    no more teen porn!!!
  • Sapphire101 2012/05/08 07:29:06
    Right move
    Sapphire101
    on the right track, but everyone thinks it should be 18, and so do i. most 16yearold girl celebs look like such a baby, i mean 14 and look sorta immature and not responsible enough to do a lot of real hard work including modelling for worldwide magazines that heaps of girls read
  • Rebecca Louise 2012/05/08 04:53:16
    Right move
    Rebecca Louise
    +1
    girls are growing up way to fast and doing vogue isn't helping the matter. 18 is a better age to do that kinda stuff. it's a lot more than people think and you gotta have balls to make it
  • Butch 2012/05/08 04:34:38
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/05/08 03:25:34
    Right move
    nothingbutthetruth
    If they want to run in competition with like minded adults, they have to reach that mature age.
  • El Prez 2012/05/08 01:55:32
    Right move
    El Prez
    +1
    Child labor is forbidden in most enlightened societies and businesses. It is about time this one does the same. They should also ban or not concentrate on the ultra slim. It is not healthy or natural for most women and a slim or slightly curved figure would do more to m ake the clothes realistic. Gay men may be very talented in design but they should not be making the standards for feminine shapes or beauty.
  • Oh wait, i forgot I wasted em' 2012/05/08 00:08:03
    Right move
    Oh wait, i forgot I wasted em'
    Because 16 year-olds are ones that aren't easy to handle..
  • Laura Densmore 2012/05/08 00:02:18
    Right move
    Laura Densmore
    Most photo shoots with people under 16 are not age appropriate, but that isn't even the main problem. It's not just discouraging aspiring models from being anorexic, is discouraging anyone who reads the magazine from being anorexic.
  • tywon.smith 2012/05/07 23:08:51
    Big deal over nothing
    tywon.smith
    Dont they all starve or purge?
  • Boss 2012/05/07 22:55:02
    Big deal over nothing
    Boss
    +1
    it,s the right move IF they tried to pass those 16 yr old for GROWN women..but if they modeled teen clothes, what,s the big deal??I don,t read vogue and could not care less about those skinny bitc8es on the runways..give me MEAT!!
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/07 22:10:17
    Right move
    NarcolepticGoat
    I thought Vogue was for women. Sixteen? What is it, a teen magazine?
  • Rebecca... Narcole... 2012/05/08 04:54:27
    Rebecca Louise
    +2
    they should just go to teen vogue. hence TEEN vogue!!
  • Tennessee3501 2012/05/07 22:05:40
    Big deal over nothing
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    Sounds like "age discrimination" to me! We need a trial lawyer to bring this suit. Does anybody know if John Edwards is available?
  • Riku Xander 2012/05/07 21:18:27
    Right move
    Riku Xander
    I'm thinking it's a good idea, though perhaps they should move that up to age of consent in the country where they print (the USA, I think). Vogue being a fashion magazine needs to protect these younger ladies from possible exploitation.
  • Wulfdane 2012/05/07 20:19:36 (edited)
    Right move
    Wulfdane
    I agree.
  • nicesteve 2012/05/07 20:17:37 (edited)
    Right move
    nicesteve
    Absolutly so. Vouge is not designed nor inteneded for young ladies under 16 years of
    age to begin with. Any young ladies, or young gentlemen as well for that matter, who really wish for a career in modeling should seek their early experience with more age appropriate publications, and gain a little experience, not to mention, some maturity before attempting something as racy as Vouge and other similar publications. Also, two thumbs up to Vouge for discouraging young people from starting potentially hazardous behavior and also, encouraging healthy diets and proper physical fitness activities in order to achive their model's bodies.
  • Bobette 2012/05/07 20:08:44
    Right move
    Bobette
    +1
    I applaud Vogue for finally addressing the problem of moribund models. Now let's get to the next item for change. Let the girls smile!!! They look like they are so angry they are ready to kill or so bored they want to slit their own throats. There is nothing more appealing than a healthy girl with a smile on her face (and a great looking designer dress!!!)
  • Professor Wizard 2012/05/07 19:57:45
    Right move
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    The pedophiles are going to hate that choice. An I like women on whom you can't count their ribs. So this is a good idea. They should probably wait until 18, just to be safe!
  • Sonic 2012/05/07 19:44:03
    Right move
    Sonic
    Young people should stay young and be a kid for as long as they can. We don't need models that are younger than 16, and people shouldn't need jobs at that age either.
  • Ayushee 2012/05/07 19:27:31
    Right move
    Ayushee
    16 years people should concentrate on their studies,the whole life's there for all those stuff!
  • BonnieDeutsch 2012/05/07 19:09:05
    Right move
    BonnieDeutsch
    +2
    IT'S ABOUT TIME ! I have been contacting Vogue for years saying that I look very different then the 16 year old models in your magazine and I'm the one paying for the clothes. I want to see people, like me, who buy the clothes, as models. Makes sense? I think so.
  • daveygater 2012/05/07 18:19:43
    Right move
    daveygater
    perhaps they should not hire anybody who has not reached their 18th birthday
  • big T 2012/05/07 18:04:26
    Right move
    big T
    mdeling does not teach a person any true value or use ither then taking off their clothes to get laid.
    Being that is all they learn in the long term modeling is worthless and of not true value to anyone .
  • Luver 2012/05/07 17:55:29
    Right move
    Luver
    I think its better for younger girls to not be introduced to a place where there is so much focus on how you look. Anyone younger than 16 is still very young considerably, and is still in the process of fitting well in their own skin. Putting them in an environment like that is detrimental to their mental stability and self image.
  • BigKwell 2012/05/07 17:25:27
    Right move
    BigKwell
    That's taking a stand.
  • Mud 2012/05/07 17:19:48
    Big deal over nothing
    Mud
    +1
    I think if 16 year old girls are good looking enough to be models in vogue, the statutory law should be revoked or lowered. If you look at high school these days, a huge amount of teenagers around ~16 are extremely sexually active. Different than my day, but times change
  • Miranda 2012/05/07 16:39:56
    Big deal over nothing
    Miranda
    +2
    I think as long as they keep teenagers more tasteful, its not a big deal. I think putting teens in Cosmo is risque but since Vogue is mainly a fashion magazine, it shouldn't be as big a deal.
  • wpsegura 2012/05/07 16:38:31
    Right move
    wpsegura
    Some of the poses are inappropriate for a teenager, a little to sexy, so I t
    Feel that it is a good move
  • Fef 2012/05/07 15:55:52
    Big deal over nothing
    Fef
    I applaud their policy of not hiring models with eating disorders
  • Nameless 2012/05/07 15:23:26
    Right move
    Nameless
    This is a great move and necessary, imo. Kudos to Vogue for doing this!
  • ladyfyre 2012/05/07 15:19:17
    Right move
    ladyfyre
    +1
    of course it is the right move. Of course, not airbrushing OUT womenly curves (healthy normal ones) would do wonders also. Girls aren't all painted boys. We come in all shapes and sizes, both the low and high end of beautiful should be shown, or at the very least represented. Health is beautiful. Products they want to sell you are not what make you so.

2014/08/29 03:53:38