Value - What is it? How does it work? Can you get it?

lalouisiane 2011/07/08 17:55:04
This caught my eye today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/113075/end-40-ho...

I have seen several people even recently who proclaim loud and long that the person who is doing the small menial jobs that require no specific education or a limited skill set are as important as the presidents and managers of companies.

Some of these people use this argument to say that the President or CEO of the company should have an income that is in accordance with the person who is sweeping the floors, etc. at the company.

So, I’ve been thinking about value.

What makes a person valuable? Are there different kinds of value?

As Jim Rohn says, every person is valuable to their family and friends, valuable in the sight of God, but valuable in the marketplace? It’s a fact that value in the market place is not evenly distributed.

I think socialist ideals run along the lines that every person is just as valuable as everybody else, except of course for the dictators of those countries that have embraced socialism. When Stalin rose to power in Russia, for instance, he killed people by the millions, they all had the same “value” under socialism.

Anyone Stalin felt was a threat to him (bless his paranoid heart), was killed. Of course, he killed a lot of his people just because he didn’t have enough food for them and he needed to “thin the herd”. Pelosi has said that we need to “thin the herd” here in America also. So socialism with its “every person is equal in value” ideals is definitely an equal opportunity killer of those unfortunate citizens who fall prey to the socialistic ideals of the country that adopts its principles.

But in a free market society, who is valuable in the marketplace?

Is the man or woman who spent $100,000 or more on their education and holds a high office in the company more valuable than the person who barely finished high school who shreds the paper?

In the marketplace, it certainly seems that those with more education and more specific and unique skills sets are considered more valuable by the companies that employ them.

Does this make the person who cleans the office less valuable to society, to their family, to God? It absolutely does not. However, the person with the greater education and skill set and responsibility is probably making more money.

Let me state that I am not talking about those individuals who are developmentally disabled. Many of them are able to find employment suited to their needs and I admire companies who hire them. A sense of self sufficiency goes a long way toward making a person feel worthwhile. And for those who are unable to work and do for themselves, I have no problem with my tax dollars supporting them. There are many disabled people, elderly, wounded war veterans, etc., who need our help and it is our obligation as a moral society to assist those in need.

However, the marketplace rewards perceived value monetarily. Therefore, the more education, responsibility, training, experience, or the more unique skill set that a person has, the more compensation that person receives.

So today we have a lot of people, including the current President of the United States who has decided that some people just make too much money doggone it!!

And he intends to put a stop to that.

So put another way. Let’s say that your loved one, needs surgery. Do you want to entrust the life of your loved one to the guy who sweeps the floors? Or would you prefer a doctor who has been trained and is skilled and experienced in doing surgery (and who has spent over $100,000on his education not to mention his insurance) perform the surgery on your loved one?

If you would allow the guy who sweeps the floor to perform surgery on your loved one, stop reading. No amount of reading, information or reasoning is going to benefit you. In fact, reading anything is probably pretty much a waste of your time.

For all the rest of us...

As an old friend of mine used to say, those folks who work at Burger King, they don’t get called out in the middle of the night, nobody calls them at home saying, ‘Now how does that go… two all beef patties….then what?’ Hey, at 2 or 3 or 4 in the morning when you've had about 4 hours of sleep during the last 48 hours... that was hysterically funny to us.

No, it doesn’t happen. The folks who work at Burger King go home and they don’t have to think about their job until they return. Making hamburgers at Burger King does not require a great deal of skill although it does require some. Is there a “Burger King College”? I don’t know. If there is, I imagine that it is not terribly expensive and does not require an excessive amount of time to graduate.

When my friend and co-worker came up with the Burger King job comparison, we routinely got called out in the middle of the night. That was one of our standard jokes around 2 or 3 in the morning. Of course, those of us who were “day people” had to be back at work by 8 the next morning. Many a time, I ran home at 7:00 a.m., took a shower and changed clothes only to hurry back so I could be at work by 8:00 a.m. I was a single mom with 2 small children, so it was no walk in the park.

So, was I more valuable than the person who filed documents or made copies at that company? As far as the company was concerned, yes I was. At least, I hope I made more than person who merely filed and went home and never had to come back in to work in the middle of the night. I can tell you that I respected and appreciated every person who worked at that company. I realized that my value to that company rested only in my skills and what I could do for them.

I never received overtime either. Someone in the government decided people like me were “exempt”. That means we were not paid overtime. We could work 40 hours a week or 80, it did not matter, the pay check was the same. But it was a good paycheck. I always felt fairly compensated, and if I didn’t, I went to another company that also felt I deserved more compensation.

Should I have made more money than the folks working at Burger King? I think so, yes. Do I feel guilty about it? Not one bit. No.

I didn’t start out as a valuable employee to those companies. I worked at becoming a valuable employee. I bought books and read everything I could get my hands on, yes, even at home, at night. I had no TV so it was easy to work and learn at home. I took classes, sometimes I had to be out of town and away from my two little children. I worked hard, day and night to become valuable in the marketplace. My children sacrificed as much as I did.

What was my motivation? Well, first of all I like to do a good job and I wanted to make more money because I wanted to do the best I could for my children. But mostly, if I didn’t work, my children didn’t eat. That’s pretty simple isn’t it? Very basic. The alternative was to go on welfare and food stamps and all that government assistance. The problem with that is, it is modern day slavery and makes it is nearly impossible for a person to better themselves and their circumstances after they fall prey to the “welfare system”.

So why would someone decide that others “just make too much doggone money”? What could it be? Do they prefer a strictly socialist society where only the elite, and believe me most of the people spouting this drivel are firmly entrenched in what they believe are the “elite”. Or, could it be jealousy?

I worked as a contractor for several years. That’s “anutha story” but there is something I want to share about that experience.
5
At one company I was working for, I was told that one of their top bosses was inquiring about how much money I made. He was very distressed and somehow thought I might be making more money than him. I never interacted with this man and had no business dealings with him at all, I barely recognized him if I saw him in the hall which happened… maybe a handful of times.

So as you can imagine, I was shocked to find out that he was worried that I might be making more money than he did. Of course, he was home every night and I was not. I was out of town, staying in hotels and away from my family and my home. He received vacation and sick time and I received nothing except an hourly wage. If I did not work, they didn’t pay me anything. I had to take care of my own taxes and 401K, etc. and paid a CPA to help me take care of all those "corporation things". The books and classes and training that I needed, I paid for. No company reimbursed me for anything.

Add to that the fact that he was not getting his happy self down to the airport every week and flying around the country, renting cars to drive, hoping his luggage didn’t have a better trip than he did, and his flights weren’t cancelled so he could show up and work his hours.

On top of all that, I was strictly a “hired gun” for this company. I came in to do a specific project and when it was over, I went on to next contract.

I say all that to prove the fact that, for some people, jealously is the biggest motivator of all.

And now for the very good news…. In America, everything is within everyone’s reach. You want an education? Get one. Yes, you may go in debt with student loans, etc. and you may have to forego watching all those Seinfeld re-runs but, you can have an education in America.

You want to be a plumber? Find someone to hire you and learn the trade. Word hard, learn as much as you can, give every customer a good value for the money they pay you. Word of mouth advertising is the best.

You want to develop some specific skill set that makes you a sought after employee? The information you need is available. Find it, use it. Learn what you want to know to make yourself more valuable in the marketplace.

Read some books that will make you more valuable in the marketplace. Twilight may not do the trick for you but I’m fairly sure, whatever you want/need to know, someone has probably written it down and made it available. And if no one has, that is a great opportunity for you to gather the information and write it down and market it yourself.

So instead of stewing in our unhappiness and jealousy, perhaps we could expend a little time and effort to make ourselves more valuable in the marketplace.

Because, in America, it is not only possible, it’s relatively easy to do.

And remember, your value in the marketplace has nothing to do with your value to your family and friends and community. It all depends on where you want to put your efforts.

Good luck!

This blog is original to me.

Read More: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/11307...

• FeedFwd ~POTL 2011/07/08 19:33:14
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +20
    Everybody assigns a value to everything they want or need in the marketplace and everything they have to offer to the marketplace. That includes their time. If a buyer and seller agree on a price, that is the value at that point in time. Some things hold their value and some don't. When there is a lot of supply and a lot of demand, there will be a lot of transactions and the price will be well known and stable. When there are few transactions either because of scarce supply or scarce demand or both, it isn't as easy to know the value of something. Often there will be a spread... in other words, the seller has a minimum sell price he will accept and the buyer has a maximum buy price. If the buyer will pay more than the seller requires, a bargain can be struck. Both buyer and seller are better off after the transaction than before and it is completely voluntary. However, if you discover you sold something for less than the other guy was willing to pay or that you bought something for more than the other guy required, there will be some disappointment. But it was a fair deal. If the minimum sell price is greater than the maximum buy price, there will be no voluntary transaction. That is how the market works when all parties to the market are participating voluntarily.

...

When it comes to labor, you have identified many of the considerations that define value. There are others. Not everybody can be a fashion model or a professional football player, no matter how much education they have. People that can leverage their skills have more value in the market place. Live entertainers that perform in theaters are probably just as good, perhaps better actors than those who perform on the silver screen. But performing in a live production requires many performances and still can't reach the audience that a movie can. So theater actors often don't make as much money as movie stars, even though the tickets to a Broadway play are much higher than tickets to a movie at the mall.

I liked your post!

• keeper 2011/07/20 15:41:01
    keeper
    +1
    Thank You, Lalo for this...
  • lalouis... keeper 2011/07/20 15:56:03
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Awww, you're welcome Keeper. Glad to do it.
  • Striker 2011/07/20 14:45:39
    Striker
    +1
    Good work, LaLouisiana.
  • lalouis... Striker 2011/07/20 14:53:37
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Thank you Sir!
  • rocat 2011/07/20 14:36:17
    rocat
    +1
    great definition of value-

what is money???
    can money ever equal value???

if it can/does-...
    then who controls value???
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 14:48:03
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I don't think money can equal value, no. Money is an inanimate object. It's just paper. But it can be measured.

Value is intangible and therefore, very difficult to measure.

When my daughter was younger, she came to me one day and asked what she should strive for in life.

What is important? she asked me.

I said.. that's the beauty of it, everyone gets to decide for themselves what is important.

If you value education, you will want to get a lot of education and your friends will probably be very educated folks as well.

If you value money, then you'll find a job/business that will allow you to make a lot of money and your friends will probably value money as well.

If you value posessions, then you'll want to acquire certain posessions that make you feel good and you will probably hang out with people who also value posessions.

If you value family, you will plan and do things that promote your family.

If you value art and/or creativity of some kind, then you will probably become an artist or use your ability to create and your friends will probably also be creative people.

If you value a good time, then you will put a lot of effort into having a great time and your friends will most likely love to party as well.

Every person gets to determine what they val...

What is important? she asked me.

Every person gets to determine what they value in life. Every person gets to decide where they will put their effort and what they will value.

But the marketplace is not a person. And the things that drive the marketplace to assign value work the same as an individual assigning value. However, the marketplace works differently than an individual. And that is "anutha story" for another blog.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 14:58:03
    rocat
    +1
    as i said great definition of value-

but when we trade money for our value...
    what happens after that-???
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 16:04:45
    lalouisiane
    Oh... I think maybe you are talking about the "sell out". A person who gives up their ideal of something for something else.

Like I said, everybody gets to make a choice.

I once had a job in a horrible company. I had heard the rumors before I went there, but I told myself it would not matter, that I could keep myself separate and apart.

I convinced myself that I could close the door to my office and do my job... which I loved... and the dishonesty and lack of integrity at the company would not affect me.

I was wrong. It did affect me. By the time I left that company, I usually had to stop my car on the way to work and throw up. I left every day and ran home to take a shower to try to make myself "clean" again. I made good money. But... I suffered for it.

I quit and took a much lesser paying job. But it cost me. It cost me a lot to work for that company.

All these little blogs I write... their is some personal experience behind most of them and a lot of personal pain behind some of them. There is also some personal triumph poured into a few of them.

It's like I said, every person gets to make their own choice. And once you start down a road.. it doesn't always mean you have to stay on that path.

Fortunately, after that much lesser paying job, God blessed me with a truly great opportunity. Sometimes, you have to go through the valley of pain and sorrow in order to get back up on the mountain top.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 16:27:19
    rocat
    +1
    your tale is interesting and full of lessons-

you are obviously a person of introspection-
    i have great respect for that-

but what i am digging at here-
    is the very roots of the worlds money system-
    from a non-progressive-
    constitutionalist-
    perspective-
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 19:05:31
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Ohhh. Well, that is a deep subject. I took economics in college but I truly think what I know about it is what I learned after getting out in the work place.

I think that most corporations are very greedy because they are run by people who are greedy.

I have noticed the "I'll get mine and not worry about anybody else" attitude that many have today.

I have worked at a bank and I promise you.. that was an eye opener. I think most people are interested in what they can get and the rest of humanity be damned. It is not always like that but a lot of times it is.

Money was created to ease transactions. We no longer have to barter down at the marketplace and trade a pig for chicken, etc. Money allowed us to give something made of paper or metal and far easier to handle and carry than livestock or goods when we used the barter system.

Then we got banks and checks. Checks are just a promise to pay money.

But when you throw people into the mix... it can get insane.

I always think about the tulip trading and how many people lost everything they had. The value of tulip bulbs went up excessively high and of course, like everything that is overinflated, it crashed.

The tulip bulb fiasco was very much like the dot com fiasco we had in this country just a few years ago. It did...

The tulip bulb fiasco was very much like the dot com fiasco we had in this country just a few years ago. It didn't take a genius to realize the dot com fiasco was going to go bust.

So, the perceived value of things like tulip bulbs and clueless dot coms is gauged by humans and... as with everything in which humans are involved... can sometimes be ridiculous.

So I guess, every person has to decide for themselves... how much would you pay for a tulip bulb or some shares of a dot com?

As for who controls the money of the world? Can you be more specific?

Who sets the value of money? I think people do. It all comes back to people.

You know, one of the most misquoted verses in the Bible is that "money is the root of all evil". It doesn't actually say that. In the Bible, it says "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil".

So there again, when people are involved.... chaos ensues.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 19:18:00
    rocat
    +1
    one of my fav misquotes-lol
    so many go so wrong -
    by leaving out that word-
    it changes the whole meaning-

my issue is that money is traded/ for the essence of our lives-
    our value is "translated" into dollars-
    therefore whoever controls the dollars-
    and their value-
    controls our essence--

perhaps more spiritual than economic-lol
    but that's me...
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 20:13:15
    lalouisiane
    OH yes.. you are getting very deep!!! That goes past economics into trading our souls for ... stuff.

I still believe we don't have to. I mean.. some people do. In this world, I KNOW that some people have to trade their essence just to survive. But I don't think that the majority of Americans are in that situation.

Tell me this.. if we weren't paid in money... then how would we be paid? The barter system seems the most effective.

Say, if I make furniture and I LOVE making the furniture, the selection of the wood, the cutting, fitting together, sanding and staining of the furniture and then I trade that furniture for foodstuffs.... where is my essence then?

I guess the bottom line is... do something you LOVE to do. I had the fortune to do something I LOVED to do. And I worked hard at it. I also spent many hours learning and doing more than I had to do in order to learn more. But I loved what I did. I did not always love the situation I was in. And I never felt like I worked for a company. A company or corporation has no heart, no soul.

I have heard many people say that the company does not appreciate them. No, it's a company, companies lack heart and soul and appreciation.

So... it's best to work for yourself. To enjoy doing a good job. I always felt that I worked fo...

So... it's best to work for yourself. To enjoy doing a good job. I always felt that I worked for God, the companies just paid me.

Of course I've had the luxury of working for some really bad people and some really good ones. I think that tends to change perspective.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 20:23:24
    rocat
    +1
    worked for good and bad myself-
    sigh...lol

i like your notion of really working for god-
    does our monetary system reflect or serve his ways???

this system is fast becoming -
    the "beast" of prophecy-
    a time approaches-
    when all must choose-

my position is that to be part of the current money system -at all-
    we contribute to it's continuance-
    despite our hearts and intentions-

i have no answers for the world-only for myself-
    and have done everything in my power-
    to minimize my interaction with this system-
    if i can make that total-not minimal-i will-

i fully expect the system to collapse -
    before i figure out how tho-
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 20:50:36
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I can certainly see a system collapse. I can. When the tulip traders tulip "values" collapsed.. it hurt a few people. When the dot coms went bust... that hurt a few people.

The collapse of all of it.. world wide... will hurt many people.

And we do seem to be rushing headlong into that situation. However, I blame socialism and greed people at the top more than I blame money itself.

When the system collapses, survival will depend on those who can adapt. Those who can grow and hunt food. Those who can barter and trade well.

I read Alas Babylon in high school. It's very interesting. But I was aware even before that. My daddy told me much about WWII, Nazis, Hitler and... what happened there.

Civilization is a thin veneer at best, my friend.

To answer your question, our monetary system serves man, not God. Just as Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's... just remember.. nobody in the Bible ever retired.

I wish you the best of luck. Pass on your knowledge to others. That will be valuable to them one day.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 21:08:08
    rocat
    +1
    socialism progressivism communism-
    yes even capitalism-

what all have in common-
    they steal human value-

money is not evil-
    but works fabulously -
    as a tool to steal value-

thank you for your kind words-
    i VALUE them -lol
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 21:21:43
    lalouisiane
    +1
    The reason the things on your list steal value is because they are man made and therefore... flawed.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 21:23:18
    rocat
    +1
    amen-

i have enjoyed our exchange immensely-
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 21:26:00
    lalouisiane
    +1
    That's why I come here. Sometimes I find someone who is a very good conversationist and makes me think. You have done.

It was great!!! thank you.
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 19:11:02
    lalouisiane
    What do you consider the world's money system? You may be over my head.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 19:20:07
    rocat
    +1
    i wish i had a list of names-
    but they are there-i can "smell" them-

too many events in the world -
    stink of "intelligent design"-
    disguised as chance-
    and faceless social or market forces
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 20:20:01
    lalouisiane
    Well as we head toward socialism... I think I understand what you mean.

There will always the few who want to control the many because they believe themselves to be better.

When we began trading goods and services for money, we opened ourselves up to an international disaster.

Several years ago, many American companies hired people from overseas to do their computing and software conversions. The people from overseas worked cheap compared to Americans and for awhile... jobs in my field were very scarce.

However, those overseas people had no idea how many hours a year a person normally worked. They had no idea of many things that are unique to America.

And... the companies who hired those folks to do the conversions, etc. very cheap had to hire us... Americans to come back and fix all the damage they had done.

Then many of those same companies quit hiring overseas people because they discovered that while the initial cost was low... the end cost to have everything running properly was very high and they decided they'd be better off with Americans doing the work to begin with.

But I realize things change. I worked with a man whose father had been an ice vendor, back when ice was sold by the block and delivered to ones home. Technology put him out of business much ...

But I realize things change. I worked with a man whose father had been an ice vendor, back when ice was sold by the block and delivered to ones home. Technology put him out of business much the same same email and FTP is putting the post office out of business now.

And one can be caught in an event like that and yes, it can be very bad for the person who is in that situation.

All I can say is, learn another trade and do something else.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 15:29:19
    rocat
    +1
    not sure i agree that value is intangible- in the market sense-
    in the sense that we value ourselves and others -yes- intangible-
    but that is not the thrust of your post-
    you reference value in a strictly market sense-i.e. money-

there is nothing intangible about what you did for your company-
    money is not traded for intangibles-[well...theoretic...
    to assert so would undermine your root tenet here-

my point here is this-
    you trade your talents skills energy-your very life force-the essence of YOU-
    for money-
    by the next day -
    the money is worth less-
    are you???

who controls value???
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 16:24:06
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Okay, I think I see where you're coming from now. Who controls the value or the money paid for a specific job?

In a free economy, each company assess the value of each employee.

One of the best jobs I ever had in my life taught me a lot. The fellow I worked for got a survey every year of what other people who did the same job and had the same education, experience, etc. were being paid in our area. He made sure none of us left his employment for a job making more money.

His reasoning for doing this? He did not want a high turnover in his office. He said turnover kills a company. He had a small group of people that he selected for their particular talents and he did not want to lose them. So.. his idea of value was people who could and would do the jobs he needed done and he valued them a little more than most in our area and we made about the top salaries considering our education, experience, skills, etc. in our area.

So in that case, we were all valued according to his value system.

I have also worked for companies where I was told we were all interchangeable parts. Again, that was the value system of a specific individual who ran that company. And he didn't last very long.

So.. each company decides how it will value its employees, much like each individual decid...

So.. each company decides how it will value its employees, much like each individual decidese what they value.

I worked for a guy once who only valued education. Degrees. He had some very educated fools working for him and the company truly suffered. His only value system was education. That is how he valued hiimself and that is how he valued his employees. He ran the company down because he was not able to value an employee who could get the job done over one who had a degree but was lazy and would not do a good job.

But I disagree on giving one's essence to a job. Here's how I view this.. and I've had a lot of experience. I do a good job when I work for someone. I do what they need done and I do a little extra. But I don't do it for them. I do a good job because it makes me feel good. I get the best compensation I can get but it's not my primary focus. I am constantly learning things.

Whatever I learn in the course of doing a good job for someone benefits that company. And when I leave... my skills and experience and job knowledge benefit me and what other company I go to that pays me for my efforts.

I take all the knowledge and skills with me when I go. And the next company will benefit and so will I. I'll learn new things, add to my basket of tools and increase my skills.

So.. no... no one gets my essence... they may rent it for awhile. But I keep my essence and I spend it when and where I decide.

If suddenly, nobody wants the skill set that I have.. .am I worthless? No, not worthless. But will I make less money? Yes, probably so. But what do I have? The ability to gain a skill set that people will pay more money for. And.. yes... I have and will do that. It's called keeping oneself "marketable".

When I first went contract.. I asked a fellow contractor how much to charge for something. He said... "as much as they will pay".

So... in a free economy like America has had... the law of supply and demand play into value as well as an individual's determination of value.

Are you speaking of worth or value? And did I answer your question?
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 16:31:51
    rocat
    +1
    lol-
    while very lucid and insightful -
    you did not-

as in my other response-
    it is the precepts and platforms-
    the principles-
    of the money system we all share-
    that i address-

i do agree with your response here tho-
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 19:06:42
    lalouisiane
    Thank you. I hate to be so dense. I am trying to figure out what you're asking me.
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 16:26:13
    lalouisiane
    +1
    You speaking of money. What about the barter system? My friend who went overseas on vacation was offered 4 camels for her daughter. What is the value of a camel?

In that particular country... a camel probably has a lot more value than it does in America.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 16:32:31
    rocat
    +1
    lol-
    what is the value of a daughter-???
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 19:10:26
    lalouisiane
    +1
    That depends on what day you ask me. LOL

That became a standing joke with us. Her daughter got her belly button pierced and she was like.. "I should have traded you for the camels!!!"

The value of a daughter in money... depends on who wants her and what they are willing to pay for her and why. Since slavery has been abolished here, we don't have to worry about that.

The value of a daughter to a mother? Priceless. There is no monetary value that can be placed on my daughter. All of her value is measured in things other than money.

And that is the basic problem with value. My daughter might not be valuable to you at all, while she is immeasurably valuable to me.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 19:21:47
    rocat
    +1
    yes-i have two sons-
    both grew up with the threat of being sold to gypsys-
    hanging over them-lol
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 20:20:30
    lalouisiane
    +1
    LOL, I completely understand!!!
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 19:27:24
    rocat
    +1
    and how you see your daughter-
    absent of any monetary considerations-
    is how i feel we should live our whole lives-

can we as monkees...
    figure out how???
    i hope so-
    there is great freedom of spirit in doing so-

freedom from a need to translate the fire of our spirit into money-
    to be seen as valid by others-
    or even seen as valid in our own eyes-

is it worth trading control of the value of our souls fire-
    for ease of transaction???

in order to be free-
    i am very willing-
    to tote around a few chickens-lol
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 20:24:51
    lalouisiane
    +1
    OHhhhh. I think now I understand you. For many years I got my self esteem from my job. And yes, I was a little proud of the money I made. Most people who know me have no idea what I do. Heck, my family doesn't even know what I do. But... they know I make money at it.

But as I've aged, I've come to realize that placing my self esteem in a job that I do is foolishness.

I'm much more than what I do for a living. I'm much more as a person. Does any company value me more for being a mother and a sister and a wife? Heck no. But I am more valuable because I am a mother and a sister and a wife.

Much more valuable. The company will value me according to what I can do for them with my skill set. That's okay. I don't expect anything else from them.

My family will value me for a million other things that I do and have done. And my sense of self worth or self esteem is fueled not only by the job I have done that I received money for, but also by the smiles and giggles of my grandchildren and the love of my family.
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 20:56:30
    lalouisiane
    +1
    You know what I love? I LOVE to paint. Yes, I'm an artist. Talk about subjective!!!

The person who wants the art determines the value of it. And some "art" that I've seen.... well... I wouldn't pay $5 for it whereas the price tag might be $5,000.

It's just crazy to me and for years I would not sell any of my work because of that.
  • rocat lalouis... 2011/07/20 21:13:45
    rocat
    +1
    i too am an artist-fancy that-lol

i enjoy 3-dimensional art most-
    thus my career in landscaping-

ever know a grown lego-fiend-???
    this is my winter hobby-

enjoy 3-dimensional art career landscaping- grown lego-fiend- winter hobby-
  • lalouis... rocat 2011/07/20 21:22:44
    lalouisiane
    +1
    FANTASTIC!!!! I have really enjoyed our conversation.

This is awesome!!! My mind doesn't work well in 3 dimensional stuff. I paint with oils. Landscapes mostly.
  • Striker rocat 2011/07/20 14:56:23
    Striker
    +2
    Fiat money has the same value as blind faith.

Money is but a medium of exchange, which has real value only to the extent of it's security. We'll be seeing that rule come to roost with hyperinflationary collapse.
  • rocat Striker 2011/07/20 14:59:00
    rocat
    +2
    i think you smell-
    what i am getting at-

but you would-lol
  • JAA 2011/07/10 02:14:11
    JAA
    +4
    I've noticed a severe lack of liberals responding to this discussion. Do they even know what the word, "value" means, or do they just not care?
  • lalouis... JAA 2011/07/20 14:24:51
    lalouisiane
    +2
    LOL, I noticed that very same thing!!!
  • rocat JAA 2011/07/20 20:26:07
    rocat
    +2
    the notion of value -
    is entirely arbitrary to libprogs-
    concretes -scare them speechless-

2014/09/02 21:54:39