Valentine's Day: Love It or Hate It?

When it comes to Valentine's Day, people tend to fall into two camps: those who love it, and those who absolutely hate it. But -- as Zooey Deschanel pointed out on "Saturday Night Live" this weekend, there's also a third group -- those who say they hate it, but secretly care about it. And yes, most of the people in this group tend to be women (based on our own unscientific observations).

It's easy to see why some people feel so strongly about Valentine's Day. Deny it all you like, but it's totally a Hallmark holiday, featuring pressure to buy a card, flowers, stuffed animals, etc. Also, it's kind of hypocritical to celebrate a purportedly feel-good holiday that calls attention to people who are NOT in love. Being single is hard enough ... now you have to tell people that no, you don't have a date for Valentine's Day? And pretend you don't care?

But even if you ARE in a relationship, Valentine's Day has its drawbacks. For one, it's impossible to get a reservation if you wait until the last minute, and restaurants tend to jack up their prices. Let's face it, most guys get it wrong somehow, and often, women wind up feeling disappointed (even if they tell themselves say they don't care). Plus, if you're lucky enough to be in a good relationship, every day is kind of like Valentine's Day ... so the candy and flowers on V-Day feel kind of forced. And yet ... you still kind of want them.

• Sunny 2012/02/14 15:38:18
    Love it!
    Sunny
    +1
    It's a wonderful day to remind us all to keep our hearts open... to appreciate all we have and all that life offers.
  • Jillicious 2012/02/14 15:37:59
    Hate it!
    Jillicious
    Love is a word people use so freely without thought ... like ... Thank you, God Bless you, ttyl, LOL .... If your not loving for who I am for the last 364 days .... I SURE AS HELL DON'T WANNA HEAR IT TODAY .... HAPPY TUESDAY SODAHEAD FAMILY <3
  • yogiOK 2012/02/14 15:25:52
    Hate it!
    yogiOK
    Okay, I don't exactly "hate" it, but I certainly don't like how commercialized everything has gotten, and is now just a "guilt trip" by businesses to coerce you to spend money, as if that defines your love and affection for someone. Why can't we just demonstrate love Every Day?!
  • Pearl 2012/02/14 15:25:33
    Love it!
    Pearl
    today I got a rose from a certain boy and its very pretty. I also cant wait to see my BOYFRIEND ELVIS CRUZ!!! He's very sweet, romantic, and so on.<3
  • woodstock 2012/02/14 15:20:03
    Hate it!
    woodstock
    +1
    First of all I'm not a pink kind of girl. Second heart shapes are not my favorite symbol and roses are not my favorite flower. Love is a strange word. It is used for a thousand reason. I love the clouds today ect. Three words that mean more to me are trust, honesty, and respect. I can't wait to get those candy hearts at 75 off the next day. So that is what I think about Vanentine Day here today and gone tomorrow.
  • Garland Bennett 2012/02/14 15:19:42
    Hate it!
    Garland Bennett
    Nothing but some commercial day that has some ass retarded expectation of being with your partner and if you don't have one of your own you were considered unfit for this holiday so you weren't part of it. Its just some commercial holiday to cash in on greeting cards and just send them to other when these days you could always just appreciate the person on a daily basis of course. Overall its just a stupid holiday with little to any meaning. Believing that some obese, chubby looking child will come around and shoot us with an arrow and make us all feel good about ourselves as well. To hell with it all.
  • Jay Ford 2012/02/14 15:18:58
    Love it!
    Jay Ford
    +1
    While I agree about the commercialization, forget it! Look at it for what it is, a celebration of love and affection. How can one hate that?!?!?!?!?!?! A warm   fuzzy Valentine wish to you
  • Boo Jay Ford 2012/02/14 16:24:08
    Boo
    A lot of people on this site focus on negativity. It's all they are about. One doesn't have to be taken in by the commercialism. You don't have to "buy" one thing if that bothers you. It's about letting those you care about know that you love them!
  • philly Boo 2012/02/14 18:00:20
  • Boo philly 2012/02/14 19:50:09
    Boo
    Yes, you should, but few people actually do. Having a special day set aside each year encourages more to do so. My husband and I try to show each other how much we love each other every day also, but we still enjoy and look forward to making Valentine's Day a little extra special. We aren't going out or buying gifts for each other, but will enjoy a special dinner at home and have a bottle of sparkling wine. It's another reason to celebrate our love, like we do on our anniversary.

I really get tired of all the nay saying because of commercialism! It's just an excuse to detract from the real meaning of all the holidays you mentioned. If one is sincere, no gifts are necessary or expected. If you focus on gifts and expense, you miss the true spirit of the holiday. Gifts and an evening out are really nice when you can afford it, but by degrading a holiday because of that, you really spoil the spirit of the day. I'm glad my husband doesn't take your view!
  • philly Boo 2012/02/14 22:38:29
    philly
    +1
    I see what you are saying and yes it is nice to see another view of it all and all though I personally do not like the day this does not mean my wife does she shares a similar view to you and yes we do something on it because she likes to and I enjoy all the time I spend with her.I got lucky my wife is not into the roses or the expensive jewelery she is more practical she would rather take the fifty dollars that a dozen roses would cost and spend it on something she needed.
  • Boo philly 2012/02/15 15:49:21
    Boo
    Exactly. Less than $50 bought 2 steaks and lobster tails (on sale) and a bottle of sparkling wine. We learned a long time ago that we can prepare and enjoy a dinner as good as you will find in any 4 star restaurant for a fraction of the cost. Hope you had a great Valentine's Day!
  • philly Boo 2012/02/15 17:25:35
    philly
    +1
    We did have a decent night it was the first time we had been out since my dughter was born 6 years ago.Hope you had a great day to
  • Boo philly 2012/02/15 17:34:08
    Boo
    We did. Thank you. I know your wife really enjoyed having a date with you!
  • it'skrissie!d:) 2012/02/14 15:18:04
    Hate it!
    it'skrissie!d:)
    +2
    It's great for the people who are engaged, in a relationship, or married. But what about us single people? And it's a commercial holiday. Just like Christmas is. Now, I love Christmas. But Valentine's Day is just...annoying.
  • Boo it'skri... 2012/02/14 16:26:20 (edited)
    Boo
    Do you have parents or friends you care for and wish to convey your love to? What about children? It's not just about romantic relationships! It's about love and expressing love to any and all who mean something in your life.
  • philly it'skri... 2012/02/14 17:54:45
    philly
    Right on well put could not have said it better myself
  • Venus Akers 2012/02/14 15:16:56
    Love it!
    Venus Akers
    +2
    Love is the most wonderful of all feelings in this world...!!! Happy Valentine's Day to you and your loved ones... :))
  • 24FilmProStudio 2012/02/14 15:15:27
    Hate it!
    24FilmProStudio
    i'm actually in the middle... indifferent; it just feels so sterile and contrived
  • assbuttsoup 2012/02/14 15:15:08
    Hate it!
    assbuttsoup
    +2
    Well happy commercialized spend-money day!
  • philly assbutt... 2012/02/14 17:53:34
    philly
    Well said
  • Knight Benedicta 2012/02/14 15:14:01
    Hate it!
    Knight Benedicta
    +3
    Valentine's Day only drives me irritated and jealous with the people who gets loads of love letters and stuff like that. I hate it,
  • philly 2012/02/14 15:13:26
    Love it!
    philly
    +4
    How do I change my vote I clicked the wrong one.?
    Anyway I hate the stupid day,But my wife looks forward to it so I play along.
  • ghosiej... philly 2012/02/14 15:14:57
    ghosiejackson
    a good man.
  • Jay Ford philly 2012/02/14 15:21:34
    Jay Ford
    I feel sorry for you!
  • philly Jay Ford 2012/02/14 17:47:08
    philly
    why ?
  • Boo philly 2012/02/14 16:27:36
    Boo
    How insincere!
  • philly Boo 2012/02/14 17:50:44 (edited)
  • Boo philly 2012/02/14 20:05:36
    Boo
    My husband and I try to show each other how much we love each other every day also, but we still enjoy and look forward to making Valentine's Day a little extra special. We aren't going out or buying gifts for each other, but will enjoy a special dinner at home and have a bottle of sparkling wine. It's another reason to celebrate our love, like we do on our anniversary.

I really get tired of all the nay saying because of commercialism! It's just an excuse to detract from the real meaning of holidays. If one is sincere, no gifts are necessary or expected. If you focus on gifts and expense, you miss the true spirit of the holiday. Gifts and an evening out are really nice when you can afford it, but by degrading a holiday because of that, you really spoil the spirit of the day. If my husband felt the way you do about any day of the year, he would never have become my husband. Women know when you're being "honestly" phony about it!
  • Beck .L.Z 2012/02/14 15:12:41
    Love it!
    Beck .L.Z
    Unbelievable!You guys hate it .I just love it.People gonna say i love you ,today.Today gonna be nice, brilliant,and in love~Come on!Do not be selfish,I got my girl ,--my computer-.-#.But I am happy ,too.Valentine's Day:the day full of endless love.
  • AlunD33 2012/02/14 15:10:16
    Love it!
    AlunD33
    +1
    Just wish I had a Hunny!
  • Beck .L.Z AlunD33 2012/02/14 15:15:40
    Beck .L.Z
    U will
  • ghosiej... AlunD33 2012/02/14 15:17:46
    ghosiejackson
    why not? u look like santa~ just that lovely.
  • wampage 2012/02/14 15:04:46
    Love it!
    wampage
    +1
    abolish self pity and appreciate the world around you and love thy neighbor. What's NOT to like? If you have pain deep inside, work it out (with others or by yourself) but don't impose it on others by hating love and happiness.
  • Kigan 2012/02/14 15:01:25
    Hate it!
    Kigan
    +2
    A commercial holiday to benefit greeting card companies, chocolate companies, jewelry companies, florists, and a few other assorted groups.

It can also be quite ruinous to relationships. All these expectations of this one specific day, usually where one partner's expectations are sky high but they don't tell the other so they are inevitably disappointed.
  • yogiOK Kigan 2012/02/14 15:30:44
    yogiOK
    +1
    Yep, you nailed it. My sentiments precisely. It jerks alot of people around to "do what they are supposed to do," and then it's finally over. I think that alot of people really dread it.
  • Alexis Romero 2012/02/14 15:00:26
    Love it!
    Alexis Romero
    I'm hoping for something big!!!
  • assbutt... Alexis ... 2012/02/14 15:19:03
    assbuttsoup
    Hope always leads to disappointment.
  • raine 2012/02/14 15:00:13
    Love it!
    raine
    When I am involved love it. right now single so it is a nothing day.boo hoo
  • Kenny 2012/02/14 14:54:34
    Hate it!
    Kenny
    +3
    Hallmark Holliday! Way too commercial.So should I love my girlfriend more on Valentine's Day compared to any other day? It's overhyped and all of NYC gets really busy especially the restaurants to the point that it's annoying with the "Sex and the City" wannabees. Plus it excludes people that aren't in relationships or might have lost the person he/she loves. At least all the other holidays kind of include everyone. I don't know. Some people aren't crazy about Halloween, I'm not crazy about Valentine's and to that I say Bah Hum Bug-LOL

2014/07/30 13:19:56