Valentine's Day: Love It or Hate It?

When it comes to Valentine's Day, people tend to fall into two camps: those who love it, and those who absolutely hate it. But -- as Zooey Deschanel pointed out on "Saturday Night Live" this weekend, there's also a third group -- those who say they hate it, but secretly care about it. And yes, most of the people in this group tend to be women (based on our own unscientific observations).

It's easy to see why some people feel so strongly about Valentine's Day. Deny it all you like, but it's totally a Hallmark holiday, featuring pressure to buy a card, flowers, stuffed animals, etc. Also, it's kind of hypocritical to celebrate a purportedly feel-good holiday that calls attention to people who are NOT in love. Being single is hard enough ... now you have to tell people that no, you don't have a date for Valentine's Day? And pretend you don't care?

But even if you ARE in a relationship, Valentine's Day has its drawbacks. For one, it's impossible to get a reservation if you wait until the last minute, and restaurants tend to jack up their prices. Let's face it, most guys get it wrong somehow, and often, women wind up feeling disappointed (even if they tell themselves say they don't care). Plus, if you're lucky enough to be in a good relationship, every day is kind of like Valentine's Day ... so the candy and flowers on V-Day feel kind of forced. And yet ... you still kind of want them.

• Hot Wheels sami 2012/02/16 23:51:10
    Hot Wheels
    Finding the right man or woman is hard. Because I don't want to be with the wrong person.
  • sami Hot Wheels 2012/02/17 00:34:55
    sami
    Don't wait too long ... My brother was too fussy until he was almost 50, then he "settled" for not that perfect person ... Years later it turns out she IS that perfect person after all ... She is younger and had two little daughters and even though that made him pretty old sitting on the soccer bleachers, being a band booster, and also on the PTA board, I know he is very happy now ... 16 years later ... I really like hearing him brag about his daughters and also complain about their boyfriends not being good enough for them now that they are dating ... My youngest is 30 so those days are long gone for me and I am my brother's younger sister ... I tease him all the time going through all of this at his age ... Not to mention when his wife was taken to the hospital a few months back I was worried about my brother having a stroke because you could see he was really worried about her ...
  • Hot Wheels sami 2012/02/23 22:14:16
    Hot Wheels
    AMEN!
  • gaylehelen 2012/02/15 00:01:57
    Hate it!
    gaylehelen
    +1
    Just another day of trying to be forced to spend money we should be saving. I choose to save rather than spend on Valentine's Day. I will go out tomorrow morning and try to find some half-priced candy though (the good stuff), if available.
  • sami gaylehelen 2012/02/15 06:36:46
    sami
    You don't have to spend money ... My husband would plant bedding plants that come 6 little plants for under $2 in our flower bed and he would brush my hair and rub my forehead ... I would cook a favorite meal ... We have to eat anyway ... 40 plus years later still good ...
  • gaylehelen sami 2012/02/15 18:48:15
    gaylehelen
    I hear you. We give back rubs, good ones. 25 years plus here and still loving every moment of it.
  • Sarah 2012/02/14 23:46:27
    Love it!
    Sarah
    +1
    I love it but I can see why someone wouldn't love it, its depressing and lonely when you don't have someone to share it with.:(
  • Joker2874 2012/02/14 23:16:51 (edited)
    Hate it!
    Joker2874
    +2
    Although its just a very commercialized holiday..I hate it..bcaus if U dont hav a significant othr (a wife, fiance' or girlfriend..or even a close female friend)..2 share it with (like myself..(Ive never had a girlfriend in my entire adult life..from junior high to 2day..& look-ing like Shrek's or Jabba The Hutt's stuntdouble doesnt help my cause)..It can B very lonely & dpressing..Its like Im allergic to Cupid's arrows or somthing..I cant stand walking around the mall this time of yr & seeing all the young & in-love people walking around with each other..with their hands in each other's back pocket, squeezing each other's butt
    Bcaus I want to share in that xperience too..Yes, gettng in shape would help increase my chances of findng SOMEBODY..But its not so easy when U hav a very un-co-operative bad football knee..bad back & ankles that snap like twigs, if there should B any slight difference to the flatnes of the ground..I hit even the smallst of rocks or a 16th of an inch difference 2 the levelnes of the sidewalk..Its like som-body cuts off my foot..I 'pop out' my knee every once in a while (try 2 imagine a new, 20 oz, bottle of Pepsi..when U open it up 4 the 1st time..when U twist the cap off & U hear the fizz..The zap of pain I get every time is impossible 2 describe..Im tellng...
    &&&&&>>
    Bcaus I want to share in that xperience too..Yes, gettng in shape would help increase my chances of findng SOMEBODY..But its not so easy when U hav a very un-co-operative bad football knee..bad back & ankles that snap like twigs, if there should B any slight difference to the flatnes of the ground..I hit even the smallst of rocks or a 16th of an inch difference 2 the levelnes of the sidewalk..Its like som-body cuts off my foot..I 'pop out' my knee every once in a while (try 2 imagine a new, 20 oz, bottle of Pepsi..when U open it up 4 the 1st time..when U twist the cap off & U hear the fizz..The zap of pain I get every time is impossible 2 describe..Im tellng U that wil wake up anybody from the deepst of sleep states
    ..Thats my knee)..& from just turning over in bed..I almost drownd @ the Y while swimmng into the deep end of the pool, doing laps..when my knee poppd out again in their pool..Ive been tryin 2 @ least eat bettr..Dont snack after 8-9pm.. Eat more fruits & veggies..Eat leanr cuts beef & chicken..which I put into light marin-ades & cook on a George Foreman Grill..Drinkng more water..But seeing real results takes 4ever this way..Sorry 2 go on a rant like that..Had 2 get that off my chest..Take care & have a 'great Valentine's Day'..--->>
  • Rob all... Joker2874 2012/02/15 01:01:08
    Rob all the way
    most of people make a mistake looking for the wrong "somebodies" at the wrong places. you need someone like you that won't make you pretending you are someone else. otherwise you have to get rid of whatever bothers you ...
  • Joker2874 Rob all... 2012/02/22 06:28:52 (edited)
    Joker2874
    Sincerely, Thanks 4 your input..I'll work on that..
  • sami Joker2874 2012/02/15 07:04:49
    sami
    When my husband lost his toe to diabetes I said what are we doing we can't eat this way ... I watch every bite he eats and in a year and a half he has lost over 100 pounds and has gone from a 48 to size 36 ... So let's say even if you find someone that loves you the way you are today, you still need to get fit somehow because of health reasons ... I lost only 30 pounds because no one is watching every bite I eat so I pack candy and sometimes a coke in my lunch ... Maybe a cookie too ... But the 30 pounds has made my knees better so now I am walking not once a day but twice ... Started by walking around the block then now two to three blocks ... Swimming is good for the knees and our city does have an indoor pool, plus living in Texas the weather is not too cold when I leave the pool ... So keep trying with the swimming ... Maybe walk laps in the shallow end ... I walk with a cane when I go on walks in my neighborhood, because I never know when my knee is going to go out and it causes me to pitch forward when it does ... On dating find a place to meet people your age ... I know two of my daughter's friends that found someone on those on-line sites ... If you live near a college and can take a few classes ... Do you like to read and have a library near by ... How about where you work ... Don't over try ... Just be friendly enough ... Good luck ...
  • Joker2874 sami 2012/02/22 06:35:18
    Joker2874
    Thank U very much 4 your feedback..U gave me some great info, insight & tips..whicj I hav taken t heart..Thanks again, Sami..Take care..
  • hasher 2012/02/14 23:12:10
    Hate it!
    hasher
    +1
    i think its one of the most fake holidays ever. if you cant show your appreciation to your spouse or significant other every day, whats the point of doing it on just one day??
  • hasher hasher 2012/02/14 23:14:10
    hasher
    plus my mother died the day after so it doesnt hold pleasant memories for me.
  • sami hasher 2012/02/15 07:08:02
    sami
    I do most of the cooking everyday, but on holidays I go out of the way to make my husband's favorite foods ... He knows I don't like cut flowers from the store but I do like a 6 pack of bedding plants planted in the flowerbed ...
  • Blackberry 2012/02/14 23:11:11 (edited)
    Hate it!
    Blackberry
    There isn't two camps.........I'm indifferent, although I don't like how any holiday is commercialized, I understand it has meaning.
  • Chuckie S 2012/02/14 23:04:07
    Hate it!
    Chuckie S
    +2
    I'm lonely :(
    Can someone hug me? :D
  • tabbycat20 Chuckie S 2012/02/15 01:54:12
    tabbycat20
    *hugs* ^___^
  • miss Chuckie S 2012/02/15 02:12:33
    miss
    bear hug!!!
  • Salonje 2012/02/14 23:02:21
    Love it!
    Salonje
    It is a holiday that really helps out florists and the candy industry. I think it is also cute for children and families.
  • sami Salonje 2012/02/15 07:09:44
    sami
    +1
    I did take out Chinese for my family this year and they were also very, very busy ...
  • Salonje sami 2012/02/20 16:53:05
    Salonje
    Yeah most people go out on Valentine's Day instead of cooking.
  • hari 2012/02/14 23:00:19
    Love it!
    hari
    +1
    it always good to have heart full of love for every one
  • DAMBARU... hari 2012/02/15 04:29:21
    DAMBARUDHAR
    +1
    you are Right
  • silentart 2012/02/14 22:57:45
    Love it!
    silentart
    Best way to keep our heart stay alive longer!
  • Andrew silentart 2012/02/15 01:07:01
    Chocolate, stress, and candy. Great for the heart, for sure.
  • silentart Andrew 2012/02/21 04:43:02
    silentart
    Ha! Love to be your patient under your medical knowledge... Stress and candies is best express way to coffin Ha!
  • taylor 2012/02/14 22:54:35
    Hate it!
    taylor
    +1
    It makes me cry for weeks in end.i never have a valentine then my crush decides to give chocolate to every girl but me.... Still sweet?
  • Dori Aravis 2012/02/14 22:52:25
    Love it!
    Dori Aravis
    Love the candy. The rest of it -- not so much.
  • kt_rated 2012/02/14 22:49:28
    Love it!
    kt_rated
    actually dont particuraly care all that much
  • kaceyscroggins 2012/02/14 22:33:19
    Hate it!
    kaceyscroggins
    I haven't had a valentines day to put to memory in 3 years. This valentines day as a matter of fact all I got from my "insignificant other" was a hang up in the face. Valentines Day reeks
  • Risa 2012/02/14 22:27:33
    Love it!
    Risa
    I've always seen it as being about showing the people you care about how much you care. Friends give each other silly valentines, parents give candy, nice people give nice valentines. Just today a really nice guy I know gave me a valentine with one of my favorite shows on it. There's really no reason for me to hate it when it's just about making your loved ones feel cared about. I don't love it exactly, but as long as you have friends, family or a special person to celebrate it with it can be a nice day.
  • Mark 2012/02/14 22:21:24
    Hate it!
    Mark
    +1
    I love spoiling my wife. I hate feeling obliged to spoil my wife by greeting card companies. Throughout the year I will buy flowers, but I know at the back of my she iss probably thinking "What's he been doing?"
  • sami Mark 2012/02/15 07:13:43
    sami
    My husband had a head injury so not getting anything anymore, but in the past he planted a plant in the flowerbed for me because I don't like cut flowers ... Plants come back every year ... He also brushed my hair and rubbed my forehead ... I cooked his favorite meal ... No extra cost ...
  • supercar55 2012/02/14 22:13:17
  • Franklin Eugene Rhoads 2012/02/14 22:12:19
    Hate it!
    Franklin Eugene Rhoads
    Valentine's Day is a pagan Catholic observance.
    http://www.infoplease.com/spo...
  • rand 2012/02/14 22:06:07
    Hate it!
    rand
    I would vote for a third option, indifference. It is to me little more than a marketing ploy. If you love someone, tell them...day after day after day...and show them in what you do for them.
  • PDS 2012/02/14 22:05:31
    Hate it!
    PDS
    +2
    No real issue with it, but our Anniversary is in Dec, then Christmas, then her Birthday is in January. By Valentine's Day I'm all out of ideas what to get her (not to mention money).
  • sami PDS 2012/02/15 07:14:37
    sami
    I loved it when my husband would brush my hair and rub my forehead ...
  • 2012/02/14 21:45:53
    Hate it!
    +1
    Why should there be one day of the year where your loving and caring, shouldn't you always be?

2014/08/31 08:36:36