U.N. to investigate plight of Native Americans for first time

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/23 14:36:29

U N  to investigate plight of Native Americans for first timeThe UN is to conduct an investigation into the plight of US Native Americans, the first such mission in its history.
The human rights inquiry led by James Anaya, the UN special rapporteur on indigenous peoples, is scheduled to begin on Monday.
Many of the country’s estimated 2.7 million Native Americans live in federally recognised tribal areas which are plagued with unemployment, alcoholism, high suicide rates, incest and other social problems.
U N  to investigate plight of Native Americans for first time
The UN mission is potentially contentious, with some conservatives almost certain to object to international interference in US domestic matters. Since his appointment as rapporteur in 2008, Anaya has focused on indigenous people in Central and South America.
A UN statement said: “This will be the first mission to the US by an independent expert designated by the UN human rights council to report on the rights of the indigenous peoples.”
native american  wolf quote
Anaya, a University of Arizona professor on human rights, said: “I will examine the situation of the American Indian/Native American, Alaska Native and Hawaiian peoples against the background of the United States’ endorsement of the UN declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples.”
The US signed up in 2010 to the declaration, which establishes minimum basic rights for indigenous people round the word first adopted in 2007.
Anaya said: “My visit aims at assessing how the standards of the declaration are reflected in US law and policy, and identifying needed reforms and good practices.”
Some of the biggest problems facing US Native Americans, apart from social issues, are the near continuous disputes over sovereignty and land rights. Although they were given power over large swaths of territory, most of it in the west, their rights are repeatedly challenged by state governments.
native american   living
Most Americans have little contact with those living in the 500-plus tribal areas, except as tourists on trips to casinos allowed on land outside federal jurisdiction or to view spectacular landscapes.
Anaya’s work has taken him round the world, but he is originally from New Mexico and is well versed in Native American issues.
native american   suffering
He will visit Washington DC, Arizona, Alaska, Oregon, Oklahoma and South Dakota, and will conclude his trip with a press conference on 4 May 4. He will present his findings to the next session of the UN human rights council.
Anaya’s past record shows a deep sympathy with Native Americans’ plight. In one development dispute, he told the council that the desecration of sacred sites was an urgent human rights issue.
The Tucson Sentinel reported in 2011 that he had testified to Congress on the need for the US to pass legislation that abides by the declaration.
Also in 2011, he wrote to the Canadian government requesting information about the poor living conditions of aboriginal groups in the country.

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/22/u-n-to-inves...

• SEAL76 2012/04/23 15:11:01
    I'd say they're at least 400 years too late.
    SEAL76
    +4
    Keep the UN out of my country. In fact keep them the hell out of New York. Move the whole thing to France or some other place. They suck. We should get the hell out of the UN ASAP.

• lolitalovely 2012/04/29 18:21:14
    lolitalovely
    It's done. We do a lot for them now. some would say too much. A few Indian chiefs have said that US aid has given their people less reason to be self sufficient. Some even blame the government for causing a plight of languish. Some chiefs have taken their land, privatized it and created casinos, made good money, and been independent. the past is the past. I don't see anyone chastising Europe for the human rights violations of Spanish inquisition. They definitely don't seem to care about any of the indigenous people displaced by wars before they were created. Why is this different?
  • 001 2012/04/29 16:10:38
    001
    America was so much more beautiful before the 'white men' came and ruined it.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... 001 2012/04/29 16:18:09
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    well Celtic and Vikings found America 1,000 years before columbus did and were living peacefully with natives and trading with them back and forth
  • 001 ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/29 16:21:15
    001
    Fair enough, I was referring to the ones that stayed, claimed land and drove out the natives.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... 001 2012/04/29 16:22:16
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    well this is why

I certify to you that, with the help of God, we shall powerfully enter into your country and shall make war against you in all ways and manners that we can, and shall subject you to the yoke and obedience of the Church and of Their Highnesses. We shall take you and your wives and your children, and shall make slaves of them, and as such shall sell and dispose of them as Their Highnesses may command. And we shall take your goods, and shall do you all the mischief and damage that we can, as to vassals who do not obey and refuse to receive their lord and resist and contradict him."

The statement Spaniards were required to read to Indians they encountered in the New World, to which the natives cannot understand because of language barrier. Columbus genocide
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2012/04/27 01:38:40
    why America has not matured, yet continues to search for more "Indians" to co...
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    The Mayflower did not have a "docking permit" and the 102 Pilgrims did not have visa. They invaded a sovereign territory and subjugated and eliminated nearly all its inhabitants. Isn't that a Crimen Against Humanity?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... niviong... 2012/04/29 16:17:25
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Techically yes
  • niviong... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/30 02:16:16
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    Thanks. Your lines mean more that you can imagine
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2012/04/26 20:02:12
  • Constitution Believer 2012/04/26 19:47:36
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Constit... 2012/04/26 19:54:44
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    We cant change the past
    we can only fix the lies and make sure things like this never happen again
    and improve the world to improve mankind for everyone not just a few elite
  • Constit... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/28 00:00:24
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Constit... 2012/04/28 00:18:17
  • Constit... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/28 00:28:49
  • P. Sturm 2012/04/26 07:06:41
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... P. Sturm 2012/04/26 15:28:48 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    Have you ever heard of The Canadian Holocaust?(Video)
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

The First American Tears

I am white and i speak up for native Americans and let everyone know what has been done to thier people so all Generations know the Truth

Native blood: the truth behind the myth of `Thanksgiving Day
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

The Story of Moving Robe , Native American Woman

Nanyehi. One of the most important Women in American History

Quanah Parker one of America's Greatest Heroes
  • P. Sturm ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/27 00:56:18
    P. Sturm
    Thank you, I have Yaqui blood.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... P. Sturm 2012/04/27 00:58:37
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    i have Viking and Celtic blood

Before Columbus Genocided the natives

Celtic and Vikings found America 1000 years before Columbus did
    and there is alot of Evidence our Cultures were very Good friends
    as we have many Gods and Goddess and Stories in common
    they found a Settlment in canada and maine showing that the natives were living peacefully and doing Trade with the vikings and Celtics
    and had no problems
  • P. Sturm ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/27 01:04:23
    P. Sturm
    William the conqueror and the Romans didn't do your folks any favors either.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... P. Sturm 2012/04/27 01:45:31
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    the Romans always started Crap with the Vikings and Germanic Tribes
    when Christianity came along they took warfare to a whole new level and you have to imagine this
    once paganism was the dominate religion of the world in less than 1200 years christianity wiped out Paganism nearly to Exinction in wars and Genocides and witch hunts
  • Constit... P. Sturm 2012/04/28 00:33:38
  • exsecrare 2012/04/26 06:15:30
    exsecrare
    What are they gonna do for us "mixed-breeds" whom belong to no tribe or ethnicity. My mother's family is Miccosukee and Irish. My father's, Cherokee and Italian. What the hell does that make me? A Miccosirisherokeetalian? How would you even say that?
  • SoCal71 2012/04/25 09:04:17
    Good luck with the investigation. America doesn't like her dirty laundry to ...
    SoCal71
    They smoke'm too much peace pipe'm. They need Billy Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Red_Horse 2012/04/25 08:10:49
  • Earthly Resident 2012/04/25 00:28:24
    Earthly Resident
    all America has ever been good at is war, we built this nation on war, we sustain our way of life with war, we even war amongst ourselves. we are long overdue for a shift in tactic. how can we be a shining example to the world if all we are good at is destruction
  • Thor Am... Earthly... 2012/04/25 01:16:15
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Thor Am... 2012/04/25 01:20:10
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    yet you are Christian yet you use the name and picture of a Pagan God
    hmmmmmmm obviously you cant read your own bible
  • Red_Horse ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/25 08:12:23
  • D.C. Wi... Thor Am... 2012/04/25 01:30:53
    D.C. Willis
    +2
    "God EVER Bestowed upon man"

Someone should have told the founding fathers that God was involved. :-)

nation4

nation
  • Earthly... Thor Am... 2012/04/25 11:56:46
    Earthly Resident
    +1
    u freak out about my opinion and ur telling me to grow up?!....................LOL!!

the only thing this "God" of ur's has bestowed on u was a bad temper....
  • jtfm 2012/04/24 14:10:48
    jtfm
    +2
    The UN can mind their own stinkin' business.
  • Thor Am... jtfm 2012/04/25 01:16:29
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Amen.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Thor Am... 2012/04/25 01:21:27
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    amen egyptian god amen egyptian god amen egyptian god

you need to read your bible and know that Amen is actually the name of an Egyptian God
    every time you say Amen you are praying to an Egyptian God
  • Thor Am... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/25 01:25:39
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +1
    Not even close
  • jtfm ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/25 15:18:59
    jtfm
    +1
    Yeah, and every time you use the word "weird" you're making reference to a Norse deity.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... jtfm 2012/04/25 15:33:38
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    oh yeah the Weird Sisters thanks that reminds me to finish my blog on them for my Class i teach on the weekends
    Another UN fiasco
  • Brightsprite62 2012/04/24 13:18:38
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    I think it's time to kick the UN to the curb. I do believe the Plight of Native Americans should be addressed, I think It should be done by our own Government.
  • Leah Brights... 2012/04/25 01:33:48
    Leah
    The US government will never tell the entire story, because they were directly involved in causing the plight of the Native Americans.
  • Brights... Leah 2012/04/25 12:25:49
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    I know. I still think the UN needs to butt out and get out of America.

2014/12/19 16:34:15