UK Hotel Replaces Bibles With Kindles: Approve or Disapprove?

thezilch 2012/07/02 18:23:09
Related Topics: Kindle, Bible
At the Hotel Indigo in Newcastle, the ever-familiar Bible found in each room is being replaced with something more modern: a Kindle. The new e-readers will come with a copy of the Bible...

ever-familiar bible room replaced modern ampmdash kindle e-readers copy bible

Read More: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/3131978/hotel-ind...

• CurrentlyOnSpaceship 2012/07/03 01:22:59
    I Prefer the Kindle
    CurrentlyOnSpaceship
    +26
    I think they should load some other holy books on there and maybe a few nonreligious ones as well. Yeah you know what I'm talking about. The day "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins is alongside the bible in a hotel will be the happiest of my life.

• the fuze 2012/07/03 10:33:20
    I Prefer the Bible
    the fuze
    Nothing like a real book for me.

And how long until someone figures out how to steal them? I worked in the hotel industry long enough to know that guests & employees alike find ways to steal some of the most "secure" items.
  • artistheweapon 2012/07/03 09:45:24
    I Prefer the Kindle
    artistheweapon
    of course, i dont care fo the bible in the first place, i just think they cant possibly make the pages thinner, and since its the most published book in the world, it would be better to save trees with a kindle
  • ticlo7 2012/07/03 09:38:12
    I Prefer the Bible
    ticlo7
    +1
    I may not even read the Bible, but nothing can beat a real book.
  • Kibbles ticlo7 2012/07/03 11:20:52
    Kibbles
    +1
    Damn straight.
  • Sid 2012/07/03 08:52:48
    I Prefer the Kindle
    Sid
    I have to agree with the kindle. I can't even look at my wife when I'm in the mood if I know that the bible is close by. I end up putting it in a drawer.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/07/03 08:29:41
    I Prefer the Bible
    nothingbutthetruth
    +2
    It doesn't really matter, so long as it is the word of God.
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2012/07/03 08:25:18
    I Prefer the Bible
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    You know what, I've never tried a Kindle but to be honest if they can put the Bible in it then I think it's a good idea. I like reading and that Kindle sounds like it would be a whole lot more convenient to use.
  • Pikku13 2012/07/03 07:34:48
    I Prefer the Kindle
    Pikku13
    +3
    You can find the bible on the Kindle...Right? and probably more. To be fair to society you should have a Kindle instead. Not everyone is mormon, not everyone is lesbian, not everyone is religious. It would be fair. Weren't you grown up on that concept? Be equal and share? I was, thats for sure.
  • psiEnergos 2012/07/03 07:27:05
    I Prefer the Kindle
    psiEnergos
    +2
    At least the Kindle a) will be removed from the nightstand drawer from time to time and b) they can finally offer more than one book for the same amount (actually less) physical real estate. Just make sure they rig them to explode with the fury of a thousand suns if anyone leaves the parking lot with them (after all, we do need to be courteous for the next guest...no sticky fingers)!
  • bman~AV... psiEnergos 2012/07/03 08:28:25
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    Well there you go! Just like in the Mission Impossible movies. They will self destruct in 5 seconds of leaving the parking lot!
  • TheTruth1313 2012/07/03 06:37:00
    I Prefer the Kindle
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    I guess it should be fine for all if the bible is one of the books in it's contents.
  • ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡ 2012/07/03 06:34:48
    I Prefer the Bible
    ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡
  • Aquaduck 2012/07/03 06:01:34
    I Prefer the Bible
    Aquaduck
    +3
    Lame. It takes away the purity and holiness of the Bible IMO. And wouldn't it be cheaper to just purchase a bible than a $100 piece of plastic? I just don't get the technology era.
  • swp Aquaduck 2012/07/03 14:13:50
    swp
    +2
    The words aren't any purer or holier because they are written on paper vs. an e-ink screen.
    Of course if you believe that any one set of mythology is pure and holy vs. another, then maybe you also believe some mystical magic that makes the paper version pure and holy.
  • Aquaduck swp 2012/07/03 14:47:13 (edited)
    Aquaduck
    Do we wave the American flag on a flagpole or do we look at it on a big screen tv and say the pledge of allegience looking at the screen?
  • swp Aquaduck 2012/07/04 17:56:26
    swp
    I do neither. But I can't imagine it would matter. It is your intent when saying such a pledge that matters.
  • Aquaduck swp 2012/07/07 22:54:20
    Aquaduck
    In the US, the last thing we would do is use a crappy electronic device to represent our history and everything we've been through, our founding fathers have been through, and are still going through today as Americans. That would be seen as disrespectful. The flag is supposed to wave freely, which is metaphoric to is Americans being free, we can't replace it a stationary device, just like we can't replace our written word with a device. We don't swear on an iPhone in court, that would do no good. If you're using a Kindle or iPhone to read a verse in church then idc but I'd rather the bible for anything else.
  • swp Aquaduck 2012/07/09 15:12:40
    swp
    But why? Aren't the words the important part? It's not like we have to carry around stone tablets for the ten commandments to have meaning. Is it disrespectful that they were transcribed to paper?
    What about translating the bible from it's original languages? Isn't that disrespectful? Shouldn't we have to read it in the original Greek and Aramaic?

Swearing on an iPhone would do as much good as swearing on a bible.. cause it doesn't help get the truth out of someone either way.
  • Shadow13 Aquaduck 2012/07/03 15:51:33
    Shadow13
    +1
    Have you recently read the bible? Do you have any idea how much killing, rape, incest, and bestiality is in that book? In Genesis when God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, Job and his daughters fled to a cave. Believing they were the last people on Earth his daughter got him drunk so they could have sex with him (their own father.) Getting drunk would be the last thing on my mind after something like that happened, and getting drunk is no excuse for screwing your kids.

Suddenly "Catcher in the Rye" doesn't seem so objectionable, does it?
  • Aquaduck Shadow13 2012/07/03 18:14:38
  • Shadow13 Aquaduck 2012/07/04 03:15:42
    Shadow13
    Let's talk about the things God did then. He created man imperfect then cursed us for being imperfect. He plagued the innocent during the plagues of Egypt, because he intentionally hardened the Pharaoh's heart so he could inflict the plagues instead of just softening his heart. He made a bet with Satan and allowed the infliction of suffering on Job. He killed a fig plant that did not produce fruit out of season. I'm not reading too deep, just reading it literally.
  • Aquaduck Shadow13 2012/07/04 20:39:28
    Aquaduck
    And? You need to stop trying yo shove your beliefs down my throat. You don't see me going around commenting on every atheists post trying to get them to convert to christianity, so I deserve the same.
  • Shadow13 Aquaduck 2012/07/05 05:05:43
    Shadow13
    I respect your right to believe whatever you wish. However, I think it is wise to really understand what it is you claim to believe. I only offer the truth in this matter, if you wish I could lie and instead tell you simply what you want to hear. Anyways I am not an "atheist" the existence or non-existence of a deity has no impact upon me. I have no need to disprove them nor to justify their existence.
  • Aquaduck Shadow13 2012/07/05 05:31:58
    Aquaduck
    Okay, I accept that. And I apologize for claiming that you were an atheist, I just assumed you were. And honestly, after everything I've been through, it's really hard not for me believe in The Lord, but I appreciate you reading the bible and forming your own beliefs, and I understand where you're coming from.
  • swp Aquaduck 2012/07/06 12:01:05
    swp
    According to the bible: God is the one that punished children for making fun of someone's baldness by having a bear come and rip them to shreds. Seem fair to you? Do *you* approve of such behaviour?
    How about killing children that don't listen to their parents? Seems like a good idea, right? That's what the bible says. Or maybe it's a good idea to test someone's faith by telling them to murder their children (how many people in the USA have used that excuse)? It's there in the bible.. doesn't seem like a good thing to put a kid through even if you do tell the guy to stop before the deed is done.

Go read your bible, all of it. Don't ignore the parts you don't like. It's the religious folks that take all the evil in that book and twist it around and say it doesn't really mean what it says.
  • Inquisi... Aquaduck 2012/07/06 05:27:06
    Inquisitve Kat
    But it allows the opportunity to include so many other religious texts. Why should there be Bibles, but not other texts?
  • Aquaduck Inquisi... 2012/07/08 00:20:06
    Aquaduck
    +1
    Idk, from living here all my life I can tell you will my honest opinion that America can be a racist country. It's dominated by Christians, especially the white ones. We're supposed to be a "melting pot", but there is a significant amount of prejudice here. But I agree, I think there should be the other religious texts here.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/07/03 05:37:57
    I Prefer the Bible
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    But... I do have the bible on my Kindle and it's easier to travel with.
  • Arianne 2012/07/03 05:24:04
    I Prefer the Kindle
    Arianne
    +4
    That way I could read something OTHER than the Bible.
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2012/07/03 04:46:00
    I Prefer the Kindle
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +1
    I think there are going to be a lot more stolen kindles than there are stolen Bibles...
  • freakou... Seeker ... 2012/07/03 15:05:10
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    Ironically though the Bible is the most stolen book every year worldwide and it's second most stolen object (behind only food) every year worldwide as well. The temptation to steal a Kindle though if this continues as the trend towards such electronic readers replacing books in schools and hotel room (and many other places) will only cause the rate of such devices to be stolen to skyrocket though.
  • zeldamaster17~平和 2012/07/03 04:41:21
    I Prefer the Kindle
    zeldamaster17~平和
    Kindle, duh. I can hack into it (if they even know how to lock it, which I doubt) and replace it with something intelligent XD
  • Nikki<3 2012/07/03 04:37:57
    I Prefer the Bible
    Nikki<3
    +5
    As much as I love the Kindle, I feel like there is more respect with a regular bible. http://myspaceantics.com/imag...
  • Party Boy [A7X Bat] 2012/07/03 04:12:27
  • Beat Ma... Party B... 2012/07/03 05:39:21
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +6
    Your post was both vile and hateful.
  • ♡Short ... Beat Ma... 2012/07/03 06:36:03
    ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡
    +3
    Thankyou for sayin that, makes me feel not so bad for thinkin it
  • swp Beat Ma... 2012/07/03 14:15:53
    swp
    +2
    Vile maybe, but it was clearly against hate.
  • Party B... Beat Ma... 2012/07/05 05:05:27
  • Aquaduck Party B... 2012/07/03 05:55:01
  • Party B... Aquaduck 2012/07/05 05:06:30
    Party Boy [A7X Bat]
    Unfortunately, true believers are far and few between.

2014/10/30 17:29:01