TSA Accused of Racial Profiling During Airport 'Chat-Downs': Is Racial Profiling OK?

mrosen814 2012/08/14 18:00:00
TSA agents at Boston's Logan airport are being investigated over claims of racial profiling of "Middle Easterners, Hispanics and blacks." According to USA Today, "the chat-down program at Boston and Detroit airports is at the fore of TSA's effort to focus security on the riskiest passengers, rather than treating all travelers the same."

TRAVEL.USATODAY.COM reports:
The TSA says government investigators are looking at complaints of racial profiling in the chat-down program at Boston's Logan airport.
tsa

Read More: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2012-08-1...

• noface EdWhite... 2013/01/09 06:22:52
    noface
    Well as we see it. this is almost impossible to handle... just make you and yours are protected.
  • Jerry Corbitt 2012/08/16 02:55:01
    Jerry Corbitt
    +6
    I can't understand how giving male middle easterners between 18 and 40 years old a closer look than a grannie from Idaho or a 10 year old white girl from anywhere USA is out of order. A number of our group have already pointed out that Israel has been doing it for quite some time now and they have never had a plane hijacked. The truth is that our threat is mostly composed of male middle easterners between 18 and 40 years of age. What is the problem with giving those people a bit of a closer look? Targeting hispanics and blacks I fail to understand.
  • Emma's Dilemma 2012/08/16 02:43:22
    Emma's Dilemma
    +7
    Racial profiling works and that's a fact.

Most terrorists are Middle Easterners, most gang crime and rapists are blacks, most drug traffickers are Mexicans and most French people are pedophiles.
  • shiva Emma's ... 2012/08/16 02:50:57
    shiva
    +4
    And most whites shoot up schools and movie theaters, are snipers, embezzle, start war, create ponzi schemes, oppress and kill entire civilizations (including each other's), molest children, spread most of the major diseases...

Feels good, don't it.
  • JWnTX shiva 2012/08/16 03:00:03
    JWnTX
    +2
    Good to know "most whites" do those things. Perhaps, in your eagerness to prove a point, you made a completely baseless and irresponsible charge. The charge that the vast majority of terrorists are Middle Easterners and/or Muslim is fully supportable by mountains of data.
  • shiva JWnTX 2012/08/27 01:17:42
    shiva
    My point is that terrorism/crime has no color in favor. Just like these extremist muslims attack us, guess what, behind your back a man in a suit and tie is running off with your tax dollars spending it on hookers and dope, AND ruining the economy by outsourcing YOUR jobs.
    You can turn a blind eye to just because someone has fairer skin but thats what makes most Americans FOOLS. No concept of a wolf in sheep's clothing.

History has spelled it out for us, the white man is certainly no more clean than the brown or yellow or red. We are ALL guilty, which makes profiling a lame practice
  • Emma's ... shiva 2012/08/16 03:21:32
    Emma's Dilemma
    +2
    I don't think air lines need to worry about a passenger shooting up a schools and movie theaters on one of their airplanes. The rest of your examples are pure crap. White people don't start wars they end them... nothing brings peace quicker than a really big bomb dropped on a country full of terrorists! Embezzle and ponzi schemes are mostly white crimes because mostly white people are in an advanced position to where they can embezzle and pull a ponzi scheme. Oppressing and euthanizing civilizations is most rampant in China, Africa and the three Benelux countries.... and no place in the world are diseases spread more than in Africa.
  • Vern shiva 2012/08/16 06:19:11
    Vern
    Yes shiva but they don't hijack planes and fly into our building. The Muslims are the ones
    that want to kill an entire race, including you.
  • shiva Vern 2012/08/27 01:19:09
    shiva
    No they dont, they just blow the sucker up. Forgetting Timothy McVeigh arent we?!
  • EdWhite... shiva 2012/08/16 18:53:16
    EdWhiteSpace
    But your point doesn't help your argument. Most serial killers are white males. In serial killer investigations, when the investigation starts the white males in the area ARE the first ones given a closer look. No sense trying to be PC and check out old ladies, young women, and elderly hispanic men trying to not 'profile'. You look closely at those most likely to be the ones fitting the description of those committing the crime.
  • Roger Emma's ... 2012/08/16 03:35:26
    Roger
    +4
    Sorry to tell you but there are more white rapist than black. I work in corrections I see the stats. Let's not talk about pedophiles and those stats. But racial profiling is never ok. If it is and we are talking about crimes then all white males between 25 and 35 need to be stopped do to those being what the FBI. States that I what they look for when traking serial killers
  • god son Emma's ... 2012/08/16 04:54:13 (edited)
    god son
    I would like you to answer my hypothetical question honestly.

A park manager hired security officers and told them to search and question white men located in the park. The park manager believes white men are most likely to commit a sex crime against a child. He tells the security officers to confiscate cell phones and cameras. The manager performs a cursory search of the confiscated materials video files and images.

The manager is trying to prevent pedophiles from taking pictures of children.
    Do you agree with the park manger's logic?

• Emma's ... god son 2012/08/16 12:02:32
    Emma's Dilemma
    What was the TSA doing in a park? I never heard of terrorists flying a park into buildings.
  • Freedom 2012/08/16 02:37:38
    Freedom
    +2
    Maybe the TSA should focus more on security than taking naked X-Ray pics of people and irradiating them in the process, picking on the handicapped, the elderly, children, etc. You can do security without risking anyone's health, withoput degrading them and without violating our 4th Amendment rights.
  • davidg2e 2012/08/16 02:34:35
    davidg2e
    +8
    I have yet to hear a single cogent reason why racial profiling is wrong. The bottom line is always "It is racist. It isn't nice!" The worth of it is never the subject of the discussion. The socialist left is always in the position of throwing the baby out with the bath. Profiling is no different from going to a casino and playing the odds. No one plays against the odds because it isn't nice to beat the casino operators.
  • AdmrlLocke 2012/08/16 02:33:47
    AdmrlLocke
    +6
    Yup. Little old Jewish ladies do not bomb airplanes.
  • Pat 2012/08/16 02:19:17
    +8
    In fact, to me profiling is another way of saying "using common sense"....
  • HarryEdwardSchnepp 2012/08/16 02:17:03
    HarryEdwardSchnepp
    +6
    if it walks like a duck it must be, i'm white your only doing it cause i'm white, i'm so tired of this,
  • HarryEd... HarryEd... 2012/08/16 02:27:01
    HarryEdwardSchnepp
    +2
    i'm so tired of this knew world crap. if you travel by air just do what your told or walk, get it threw your freakin heads, call it what ever you want to call it, theres very little protection from the outer world to begin with, and if you want to come to amerika read the rule book.
  • Hawk 2012/08/16 02:07:58
    Hawk
    +6
    We may feel we are not at war with muslims but they sure as hell are at war with us. Our culture is geared (still) to fairness for all. Their culture is to kill all infidels or convert them to the muslim faith. The philosophy of security is this; security measures must be affordable, easy to live with, and address the threat or percieved threats, we need to be a hardened target , not a soft one. It means we are proactive, rather than reactive in protecting ourselves. TSA security is not effective as it is too broad, expensive and very intrusive. Streamling by racial profiling makes sense. It works for the Israel and they have a great track record. Right now we are reacting exactly, as how the bad guys want us to.
  • robinswebnest 2012/08/16 01:39:38
    robinswebnest
    +4
    That would be a yes and no. If you are being attacked by people wearing a certain type of clothes, yes, profiling is a preventive measure and SMART. I am so tired of people worrying about what is 'politically correct'. I believe if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, chances are it a f*cking duck.
    I would rather insult a few people than have someone kil a bunch of people because they didn't get profiled.
    I have a question, There was some flack about women in burkas being patted down. The muslims were tell TSA to let the women pat themselves down....Uh what the F*ck?
  • sockpuppet robinsw... 2012/08/16 03:11:51
    sockpuppet
    +1
    How I hope the TSA put the kibosh on the self-patdown idea.
  • robinsw... sockpuppet 2012/08/17 00:57:20
    robinswebnest
    +1
    I hope so too. But I do know that obama was for it, out of what he calls respect for their religion.
    I am wondering when obama is going to respect Christians. We know he loves muslims. Please note that I do not show him or the muslims any respect by not using caps when talking about them.
  • sockpuppet robinsw... 2012/08/17 01:16:44
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I note and applaud. :O)
  • Wilhelmina 2012/08/16 01:37:47
    Wilhelmina
    +4
    How many caucasians do you know who are Muslims? How many religions other than Muslim were responsible for the 9ll attacks and the murders of so many people? Yes, it only makes sense to use racial profiling.
  • juniorrrr Wilhelmina 2012/08/16 02:01:35
    juniorrrr
    Ever heard of Jihad Jane?
  • Big brother 2012/08/16 01:36:30
    Big brother
    +1
    No. Profiling based on information when confronted with a possible threat is fine. To liberally apply the weight reach of law enforcements powers to one group of citizens and not all is insidious, bigotry and can't be any thing else.
  • syl 2012/08/16 01:19:03
    syl
    +5
    Sometimes it's necessary-like the radical Islamists who are terrorists. It's a common sense help for law enforcement to do their jobs. If they don't, then all the people who get caught in the cross hairs, scream bloody murder, & sue the law enforcement for not doing their jobs!

It's the same for the airport screening. People need to use their brain & think about if there is no screening, how many terrorists are getting let into the country? How many knives, bombs, guns etc are going on board the plane? & the same thing-if anything happens, all those dumb people are going to sue the airline over not having "better" security. It can't work both ways-you need to deal with a little infringment, to have the safety.

People are spoiled in our country, & sue happy. As for races in our country already, it's even worse. You can't say or do anything without getting accused of racism, even when our country's national security is at risk, like the southern border, yet politicians like Obama want the vote of the Hispanics, so every law gets thrown out the window, so he can get their votes! Disgusting!!!!
  • FPSRules 2012/08/16 01:11:45
    FPSRules
    +5
    Just do what the Israelis do........considering which people actually carry-out suicide bombings, it's a no brain-er. If these 'people' don't like it - too bad. If they weren't identified as the culprits in 99.9% of the terrorism perhaps they wouldn't need to be profiled.
  • HarryEd... FPSRules 2012/08/16 02:19:19
    HarryEdwardSchnepp
    +2
    you bet
  • himmie 2012/08/16 01:07:44
    himmie
    +1
    i ment no
  • Efram Paul 2012/08/16 01:05:47
    Efram Paul
    +5
    Racial profiling, for the purpose of prejudice, is not acceptable. However, if it is a matter of public safety, that trumps politically-coerced censorship. Terrorist Muslims killed thousands of US citizens eleven years ago, and have killed many other innocents over the years. Those who are likely to be a part of terrorist organizations need to be watched. I don't care if it is profiling, it is common sense. Safety trumps concerns of profiling.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/08/16 01:04:44
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +3
    I can understand looking at these people a little more careful. Looking at little children and grandma's seems a little odd to me.
  • The Reaper 2012/08/16 01:01:42
    The Reaper
    +4
    Absolutely. Everyone does it no matter how much you claim you don't. If you fly regularly, you'll catch yourself eyeballing the guy in a turban every time he gets up and walks to the bathroom. Just like if you were in a movie theater and saw a young white man with red hair walk toward the fire exit or how white kids in school that wore trench coats after columbine got profiled. The same way anyone here would profile if a rough looking black or hispanic male with a colored bandana on came walking toward your car on a dark street while youre caught at a light. Everyone profiles and religion doesnt mean jack. There are very few true followers anymore. Hence why myself as well as many many others have jumped on the atheist train. I prefer to live by morals and common sense without some book of mass murder telling me how to live my life. If you dont profile, you're probably a future victim. Whos gonna be the ignorant one then?
  • verra lancaster 2012/08/16 00:55:16
    verra lancaster
    +5
    it has nothing to do with racicism, the fact is look at history and what has happened to the world today because of certain races comming into countries that were once a peacefull place.
    sadly it is the truth and the word racism is used too flippintly. people need to look up what racism real means.
  • Nameless 2012/08/16 00:45:57 (edited)
    Nameless
    +4
    My son in law is of mixed race and gets profiled all the time. It's ridiculous and it's wrong.

It is shamful that anyone voted yes on this poll.
  • HarryEd... Nameless 2012/08/16 02:20:01
    HarryEdwardSchnepp
    +3
    grow a brain
  • sockpuppet HarryEd... 2012/08/16 03:17:55
    sockpuppet
    +1
    No kidding. When the TSA pats down old ladies, people scream about "Do they LOOK like terrorists?" And when they only mess with the likely suspects, they scream about "profiliing". There's no way to make them happy, short of letting everyone board the planes without a second glance. Can't have that, so it's better to do the profiling and just let them complain about it. They'll be crying about it anyway.
  • EdWhite... Nameless 2012/08/16 04:01:16
    EdWhiteSpace
    +1
    I'm a 50 year old male with greying hair... If all the hijackings were done by 50 year old males with graying hair, I'd expect to be watched closely. And I wouldn't be mad at the police or TSA... I'd be mad at the other 50 year old males with graying hair that were trying to hurt people. No one is arresting your son in law, but if he looks like the people committing certain crimes he has to be realistic and expect to be watched closer than others that don't match that description.
  • Mr Bob Nameless 2012/08/16 10:07:14
    Mr Bob
    It's "shameful" not "shamful" that you're trying to "shame" ANYONE over this poll.
    Besides, you're lying. I rarely see anyone of mixed race being checked, but often see children and elderly white folks being given a thorough "re-search".
    Harry is right, grow a brain!

2014/12/22 12:03:00