Tribe mourns loss of rare white buffalo -- Posted: May 04, 2012 9:52 PM CDT -- Updated: May 04, 2012 10:17 PM CDT -- By Melissa Daigle

"Abe" 2012/05/08 00:50:56

HUNT COUNTY (KYTX) -- A rare white buffalo is butchered and skinned on a ranch in Hunt County, Texas. The white buffalo is sacred to Native Americans, and the Lakota Tribe is deeply saddened by the brutality in the death of the calf they call Lightning Medicine Cloud.

"My people, my brothers, my sisters are hurt by what happened here on this ranch."

Arby Little Soldier is the ranch owner and member of the Lakota Tribe in Greenville. A white buffalo is something he'd been wishing for ever since he opened the ranch. Then finally one day...

"May 12, 2011, the white buffalo arrived."

Arby Little Soldier says he spotted the white buffalo with binoculars and couldn't believe his eyes. He says there's a one in 10 million chance a buffalo will be born with white fur.

They named him Lightning Medicine Cloud. He was just weeks shy of his first birthday, May 12, a spiritually significant day the tribe still intends to commemorate on their ranch.

But now the celebration turns into a memorial without the guest of honor -- killed sometime last week. Those at Lakota Ranch found the calf's mother killed too.

The Hunt County Sheriff's Office is investigating the crime with help from the Texas Rangers, The U.S. Department of the Interior, and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

There's a reason they didn't want him to have his first birthday.

But for now, no one knows. And questions about Lightning Medicine Cloud's mysterious death are left unanswered.

Lightning Medicine Cloud's father, Struck by Lightning, is buried here in this ranch. Now the special calf and his mother lay beside him.

There are plans to build a walkway to the resting place so people can visit the site and pay their respects.

Arby Little Soldier says Lightning Medicine Cloud and his mother died during one of his few trips off the ranch.

Read More: http://www.cbs19.tv/story/18152448/tribe-mourns-lo...

• Lancelot Pritchard 2012/05/09 03:54:31 (edited)
    Lancelot Pritchard
    +1
    HELLO! I smell a scam. Shortly after LMC was born. C'mon. (1) a 1/10,000,000 chance, (2) on an indian's ranch, (3) he set up a tourist attraction charging $5 per car, (4) they make a little too much of the whole 'honor gift' idea on their FAQ's and they kind of stress the monetary gift thing, (5) the sell souvenirs.......in other words, they are profiting from this so-called sacred prophecy, (6) the daddy dies by a lightening strike. I know the chances are greater with livestock but still, what are the chances this happened feet away from Arby, no less. I mean, why was he not at least injured by the lightening strike as well, (7) someone kills the sacred calf while tribal elders are supposedly standing watch over it, (8) then someone kills the mom. I mean, c'mon folks. I think we have a white beefalo born; used to scam a bunch of people; then someone killed it before others found out. May it was the tribal elders who did not care too much for the scam being portrayed on the prophecy
  • "Abe" Lancelo... 2012/05/11 00:41:47 (edited)
    "Abe"
    My great-great grandmother was full bloodied Cherokee. I think you have it all wrong. I'd d@mn sure take the word of an (any) common sense native American over our POS POTUS~!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it~~!! Just my opinion.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/08 22:01:25 (edited)
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +1
    The greedy poachers need to be arrested, punished, sentenced to prison.
  • "Abe" LADY LI... 2012/05/11 00:43:01
    "Abe"
    Amen to that~~!!
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/08 21:57:12 (edited)
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +1
    I'm so sad about this news! White Buffalo is the sign of PEACE.

It becomes a sacred animal!
  • Fran-Halen 2012/05/08 13:19:31
    Fran-Halen
    +1
    Par for the course.
  • LadyBGood 2012/05/08 00:53:36
    LadyBGood
    +1
    How awful! This really makes me sad to read....how could people do that?
  • "Abe" LadyBGood 2012/05/11 00:44:28
    "Abe"
    +1
    We have a lot of "evil" in the world today, LadyBGood. Lots of "idiotic" things happen and I wonder the same thing. How can any person do these things?
  • LadyBGood "Abe" 2012/05/11 23:11:25
    LadyBGood
    +1
    I agree with you.... there are terrible people in this world and the crimes they commit on human & animal.

2014/09/02 02:22:50