Totally sad...I saw this the first time going through clips for class and this one broke my heart! Animals are so faithful and just want to be loved and cared for.

Adi 2012/07/20 19:20:51
I know there are A LOT of loving and caring friends here on SH that have cared, loved, and lost a beloved pet. Please send me your stories about your pet(s) and how you came to bring this little one into your home. I would like to share with my class on why NOT to give up on these little ones that are so in need of a loving, caring home and how we TOO are in need of their love and companionship! Thank you and may each and every one of you always be bless...and please I know times are hard but give what you can to your local shelter.
With all my love,
Adidas

• Lindy... 2012/08/10 19:59:04 (edited)
    Lindy...
    +1
    I sobbed the whole time I watched this amazing video. What a beautiful story of love and loyalty. Dogs are amazing friends. I have a sad story of my own to share, unfortunately.

We lost both our dogs last year. We have been unable to allow another into our lives.

Not just yet, anyway. Our 10 year old lab (Maddie) was killed by our 18 month old GD, Zoey. It was the 4th of July, and for days the fireworks in our neighborhood had both the dogs terrified and upset. The GS never really got along with the lab, and had been showing aggression towards other dogs in general, had tried to attack our neighbor's Basset Hound by going right through the fence. Zoey didn't hurt her as she just laid still and did not try to fight her off. No injuries, thank goodness, but it very scary and traumatic. We got Zoey as a 4 month old from a shelter. They (our Lab and Zoey) never really warmed up to each other and as Zoey got older, they began to have a few little spits, but nothing too serious. On the 4th of July, probably because of the fireworks scaring them so badly, one of their little fights got out of hand and the GS went after the Lab and bit her so deeply and severely in the neck that she had to be put down that night. We were heartbroken. We tried for months to get someone to t...

Not just yet, anyway. Our 10 year old lab (Maddie) was killed by our 18 month old GD, Zoey. It was the 4th of July, and for days the fireworks in our neighborhood had both the dogs terrified and upset. The GS never really got along with the lab, and had been showing aggression towards other dogs in general, had tried to attack our neighbor's Basset Hound by going right through the fence. Zoey didn't hurt her as she just laid still and did not try to fight her off. No injuries, thank goodness, but it very scary and traumatic. We got Zoey as a 4 month old from a shelter. They (our Lab and Zoey) never really warmed up to each other and as Zoey got older, they began to have a few little spits, but nothing too serious. On the 4th of July, probably because of the fireworks scaring them so badly, one of their little fights got out of hand and the GS went after the Lab and bit her so deeply and severely in the neck that she had to be put down that night. We were heartbroken. We tried for months to get someone to take Zoey because we knew we could no longer keep her. She was too agressive with other dogs, and we were afraid she would get out of the yard and go after someone else's pet...which terrified me. Our Vet said that because Zoey had attacked another dog so severely, the odds were high that she would do it again. We contacted fire depts, police depts. rescue sites, but no one would take her since she'd caused the death of another animal. After two months of living in constant fear every time she was outside, we were advised to put her down. I didn't want to, but I knew I had to be a responsible adult and do the right thing. Losing the Lab after 9 years was awful, but having to put down our beautiful, intelligent, loving, loyal 18 month old GS was even more heartbreaking. Maddie was an older dog and had problems, tumors, arthritis, vision problems, so we knew our time with her was limited. But, Zoey was so young, still a puppy, actually, and had a long life in front of her. It was so hard. My husband and I still cry over both of them almost every day even though it's been more than a year. We miss them both so much, every day.
  • Adi Lindy... 2012/08/11 11:47:30
    Adi
    +1
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful story...bless you!!!
  • Heffeweizen 2012/07/22 02:03:38
    Heffeweizen
    +2
    We had a rescue Beagle that we ended up having to put down. She started having seizures and they scrambled her brain to the point she didn't know where she was most of the time. Putting her down was one of the toughest decisions we've ever had to make.
  • Adi Heffewe... 2012/07/22 02:17:58
    Adi
    +1
    Oh Heff...I am so so sorry!!! I know you have little ones at home too and I know that must of been rough explaining that to them too.
    Thank you for sharing and in Gods Speed my friend!
  • Heffewe... Adi 2012/07/22 02:25:25
    Heffeweizen
    +2
    Thankfully that episode was before children! We now have another Beagle, though. Love the breed!
  • Adi Heffewe... 2012/07/22 02:29:06
    Adi
    +2
    Beagles are a good breed...
    I love their floppy ears:-)
    They can be so funny at times too!
  • Heffewe... Adi 2012/07/22 02:36:07
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    You have to watch them, they will eat anything! Guinness is a little vacuum cleaner!
  • Adi Heffewe... 2012/07/22 02:39:56
    Adi
    +2
    LoL I know...a lot of dogs are just like kids! I know poor Sarge was - dang dog even loved popcorn :-)
  • Heffewe... Adi 2012/07/22 03:00:07
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    Apparently my Dad got Guinness going on peanuts, hope they weren't harmful!
  • Adi Heffewe... 2012/07/22 03:25:45
    Adi
    +1
    Nooooo tell Dad no!
    Really sweetie no peanuts whatsoever ok!
  • Heffewe... Adi 2012/07/22 03:51:58
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    I wasn't there, I think my wife set him straight! ;)
  • Adi Heffewe... 2012/07/22 03:54:11
    Adi
    +1
    Whew!!!
    If Dad wants a list of what NOT to feed the little one...I will provide one.
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/07/21 17:23:03
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +1
    Have a Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix he was a pound puppy. He's about 12 now and bouncy but will have to make a hard decisoin soon as he's going blind because he's diabetic. He's always been a good dog.
  • Adi Demonic... 2012/07/21 20:06:23
    Adi
    Sweetie I know that decision is really HARD but out of love you certainly don't want him in any pain or to suffer...but let me ask you this - is his blindness causing any pain & suffering? Animals are a lot tolerable and acceptable to pain then us humans. People think just because they can not right out and tell us that he or she is that we don't know but actually we do. Is this what your Vet is recommending? If he is sweetie I know when the time comes you will make the right decision and please note that your friends here on SH will be here for you and keep you both in our prayers!
    Thank you for sharing with us your story!!!
  • Demonic... Adi 2012/07/21 20:58:09
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +1
    Not yet but gonna be hard on both me and wife, Still have the ashes from one I had creamated in '93 or '94.
  • Adi Demonic... 2012/07/22 02:18:23
    Adi
    +1
    My prayers are with you BOTH!
  • keeper 2012/07/21 16:24:34 (edited)
    keeper
    +3
    Wow... that is a beautiful story... lived to be over 20 years old!!!
    The love of a critter for it's human contact is remarkable, and should never be taken for granted.
    Contrary to what some people think, "All Dogs Go to Heaven!"

About 20 years ago, I rescued a little female chow mix from an abusive home. She would be left for days without food or water. When I took her home and gave her some attention, she thought I was the greatest thing in the world. She became very protective of me, and extremely loyal. I owned a full blood Shelty at the time, and he accepted the new "girlfrien" readily. They mated several times and had beautiful offspring. Cody was a sweet girl who gave us a lot of pleasure. With the chow face, she looked like she was always smiling!!!
    chow mix
  • Adi keeper 2012/07/21 20:01:55
    Adi
    Well my friend you saved her...she acted just how Sarge did with me. But I know the love you have for animals and you ARE the greatest person I know on this earth!
    I too believe that animals go to Heaven :-)
    She is beautiful keeper...thank you for sharing another story about you...MUAH!!!
  • keeper Adi 2012/07/21 21:44:04
    keeper
    +1
    You are very welcome, and overly kind!! Thank you, my dear~~~ ♥
  • Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2012/07/21 02:08:04
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +3
    Dog love stories just make my heart ache. I have loved my dogs like a family member. You hear this song if you have never before. Let me know what you think.

• Adi Marlow ... 2012/07/21 15:21:16
    Adi
    +1
    Oh wow...can you send me another link? Every two seconds I have to hit play again...looks like it is a good song too :-( sad cause I can't get it.
    Thank you Marlow !!!
  • Marlow ... Adi 2012/07/22 01:21:43
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    How's this? If this still doesn't work, go to youtube and type in "God dog wendy francisco."

• Adi Marlow ... 2012/07/22 02:19:38
    Adi
    +1
    Ahhhh thank you Marlow! Yes that is to sweet ... MUAH:-)
  • Marlow ... Adi 2012/07/22 02:58:31
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/20 21:56:51
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I got a beautiful Lab / Shephard Mix in 1985 at the SCPA. Kept him til 1999,but he had to be PTS cause his hips & legs gave out. But all my other dogs were bought by the same breeder in Katy Texas. 3 Dachshunds. Now I have been in contact with two groups that rescues Dachshunds. I hope to work with them real soon.
  • Adi the jud... 2012/07/21 15:22:17
    Adi
    Thank you...wow soon you will have your hands full. Thank you for your dedication!
    MUAH :-)
  • the jud... Adi 2012/07/21 15:26:33
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    This is them ATDR All Texas Daschshund Rescue
  • Adi the jud... 2012/07/21 15:41:15
    Adi
    +1
    Thank you...keep me informed how that goes and if ever you need some advice I would be happy to share what I have learned over the years. I am also a Vet. Asst. and have been for 5 years...I have always been around animals and drove my parents nuts bringing all the local strays home.
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2012/07/20 21:38:35
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +3
    Adopted all my animals from the Animal Shelter....I lost a few over the years due to cancer. I love animals and my cat named "Treasure" is one of the animals I adopted. Had him for several years now...he has brought so much joy into my life. When I don't feel well he will lay on my hip while I lying down and purr.....and knead me. Also rescued a beagle a couple years ago. Maggie had so much personality. She was so sweet but she got cancer and I lost her. I don't know how anyone cannot like animals. They are so much company and part of your family. I love this story you shared. Thanks for this post. :)

This cat looks just like my Treasure....how I came to get my SH name. :)

black cat with gold eyes
  • Adi Treasur... 2012/07/21 15:24:05
    Adi
    +1
    Ahhh...I remember you telling me a long time ago how you got your SH name! You stand for your name well too and I can see why you were inspired...MUAH
    Thank you for your support sweetie to the SPCA :-)
  • Pele Emerging 2012/07/20 20:33:49
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    The love and loyalty our animals show us is incredible. When our dog died unexpectedly, our cat looked for her for months. The two had grown up together. The cat meowed and looked, waiting for Annie to come home to her.

My daughter and her husband recently adopted a Brittany spaniel. The poor old guy was 9 and abandoned to a shelter--who knows why? Were the owners homeless suddenly? Did the owner die? They don't know, but Charlie now has a home for the rest of his life.
  • Adi Pele Em... 2012/07/21 15:27:56 (edited)
    Adi
    +1
    Yes they do and you are so correct. You may also be correct to that too about that owner. I always encourage every owner that I encounter to have a chip installed into their pet so not only if the pet suddenly is lost to locate the true owner. You won't believe how many people come in with other peoples pets that were actually stolen from them ( true owners) and believe me I am so happy to get their animal back to them.
    Thank you for your support to the SPCA :-)
  • Pele Em... Adi 2012/07/21 19:43:20
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    My dog and cat are both chipped (one cat is not, but she's an indoor cat). I am happy to have them both. Big dog is scared of thunder and loud noises, so presumably, could be run away during a storm. We keep her inside, though, but better to be safe than sorry.
  • Adi Pele Em... 2012/07/21 19:59:27
    Adi
    +1
    LoL...mentioning about storms - Sarge would literally try and crawl under neath the bed. Poor guy would actually lift that sucker up to get under there for safety. I would normally be on the phone with keeper and we would laugh about it.
  • Pele Em... Adi 2012/07/21 20:28:34
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Akira has a 'safe' room like people have for tornados--it's my shower. I leave the door open a little and on garbage day and during storms, she goes and hides out in the shower.
  • Adi Pele Em... 2012/07/21 20:42:05
    Adi
    +1
    That is too cute...the only time I could get Sarge near the shower is when I was in it. He was such a perfect!
    I miss that little guy...
  • Pele Em... Adi 2012/07/21 20:51:40
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I do wash Akira in the shower, as she's so big, but though a little martyred, she's pretty good when I bathe her. She's part lab, so maybe that's why she isn't totally opposed to the water.
  • Adi Pele Em... 2012/07/21 20:56:37
    Adi
    +1
    Sarge didn't like getting in...he liked watching me???
    Hey by the way ... Guess what I had for lunch today? Yep and it was GOOD - thank you!
  • Pele Em... Adi 2012/07/21 21:14:37
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Glad you enjoyed. I've made it with almonds, too, but cashews are the best! I've even had friends make it and use it on crackers as a sort of hors d'ourvres spread.
  • Adi Pele Em... 2012/07/22 02:20:35
    Adi
    +1
    Good cause I used it on wheat thins...my favorite crackers!

2014/10/22 03:31:18