Top 10 items to purchase in bulk

sglmom 2012/04/02 00:02:36
Here's my TIPS on what pays for me to Purchase in BULK ..
Here's what I do on my OWN To stock Up (I actually can items, hunt, fish .. )
Here's what I'd AVOID .. purchasing in Bulk
Other Thoughts ..
As someone who lives in a Hurricane Zone
As someone who also lives RURALLY
(and has a known disability)

I make one big, huge Stock-Up trip monthly to the Grocery Stores
Specifically to keep the pantry stocked, replace items ..
and make sure I have enough on had to survive in case of natural disaster or need

The question then becomes ..
What are GOOD Target items to STOCK UP on .. in your supplies
(and for how long too -- conditions in your area, the natural disasters/environment will help determine that)

When researching this Topic .. I came upon this article .. which is a good starting point for talking about what items to purchase in bulk
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-things-you-should-always-buy...

Let's look at the thoughts presented .. in the article

-- BOTTLED BEVERAGES (Water, Sports Drinks, Sodas)
This is something that is a MUST in a Hurricane Zone .. to have a Supply of CLEAN, already Filtered Water bottled and on hand.
I usually stock up enough for at least 2-3 weeks (at a minimum) in my pantry
(but that is because I live in a Hurricane Zone .. and I've been without power for at least that amount of time)
YES, folks, I can hear it now (the Enviros complaining about the plastic)
But .. when you live in an area with Natural Challenges .. you learn what you need to survive (Because, let's face it .. the grocers are NOT going to be open fur business EITHER!)
And .. I'd like to point out here .. Warehouse Sales are Awfully good for purchasing for picnics, family reunions, family events
(You know when you have so many attending .. you just need to compare the advertised prices, and stock up in advance)

-- DIAPERS (Disposable Kind)
YES .. it seems to be a Lot (to purchase boxes by the 144 or 72 pack) ..
But the reality is .. you are going to be changing the little one's DIAPER multiple times a day ..
(and it has been a while for me .. decades in fact) but I can remember changing my little ones on average 8-12 times a day ..
Multiply that by a week of days, and you can easily see that the big pack .. is barely going to a week's worth of diaper changes
(By the time you are released from the hospital after giving birth, you should already know how many times a day you are changing your baby's diapers .. and can easily do the math (err .. with a calculator) to figure out how many a week's worth of diaper changes are).
MAKE Sure to progress in size though .. I stocked up at least a month of diapers with each trip to the grocery ..

-- DOG/KITTY FOOD and Treats (KITTY LITTER TOO)
With the CAUTION of looking at those EXPIRATION DATES (yep, folks .. they do have EXPIRATION DATES)
most of these Food Sources for your pets have expiration dates that are months away.
You know what you feed your pet each day ..
just do the math and see whether or not .. by ounce price .. (or by pound if the case may be)
is going to provide you with the BETTER DEAL overall
(I tend to also put these into Lidded plastic containers for pet food too .. )

-- GUM
OK .. if there's one thing I absolutely CAN NOT STAND ..
It is GUM spit out on the sidewalks, in parking lots, just even (yuck!) stuck on walls, on someone else's vehicle or property (ARRRGGGHHH .. my pet peeve)
BUT .. for those that can't avoid it .. sigh .. can possibly find your choice of chew .. in a BIGGER Multipack
(again .. check the prices here .. it does pay to know how to do math!)

-- LAUNDRY DETERGENT, Laundry SOFTENERS, Laundry Cleaners (spot stain treatments) and .. LAUNDRY BLEACH
This is one thing I definitely stock up on with Warehouse Sales
(GOOD GRIEF .. they are so expensive .. it does PAY to stock up when the price is good .. and the coupons are there for a brand that WORKS for your needs!)
Now I do a LOT of comparison pricing .. I also know when the BIG SALES goes on.
(SINCE I have an HE (High Efficiency) washer .. I use HE products only)
This is something that I try to keep at least 6 months of supplies on hand .. I put them in the cabinets in my Laundry Area .. (and in the pedestal stands what I am currently using)
Bulk Packages .. large, heavy .. I've also always kept one smaller container that I just pour that month's increment of my personal stock into so I'm not stressed lifting something very awkward a lot too

-- MEAT ..
I KNOW That I would urge CAUTION HERE ..
I've got an Upright Freezer in my home .. (so yes, I do purchase in bulk, fresh meat)
With the fresh at the house, I go to the packages, separate into meal-size portions ..
And using my Sealer (Seal-a-Meal is one brand here) ..
I'll SEAL the portion .. and then mark the date/item on the outside of the bag and FREEZE it ..
This way I've got plenty on hand
Don't need to make a lot of grocery trips either
I can see cost savings by buying larger quantities ..
and a bit of my time is well worth this too ..
(AGAIN .. remember to MARK The package with date of purchase .. AND What it is .. )
(and be aware .. of how long you can safely freeze your meat too .. can you USE it before it becomes potentially UNSAFE to cook for meals?)

-- STORAGE ITEMS (Plastic Bags, Aluminum Foil, Parchment Paper, Plastic Storage Containers, etc)
The WAREHOUSE sales .. the Sales ads come in handy here ..
I've always kept a stock of these items on hand (good grief .. we've all got a need to store leftovers from meals .. or to pre-prepare things in advance)
I do look to make sure .. especially on the PLASTIC Containers if they can be WASHED and SANITIZED in the Dishwasher ..
(YEP .. I'm careful like that)
And I also make sure they STACK COMPACTLY .. in the size that is appropriate for my PERSONAL HOUSEHOLD use too.

-- PERSONAL CARE ITEMS (toothpaste, Toothbrushes, Shampoo, Razors, etc -- this can include Dishwashing Soap and hand soap too)
Here's another spot where you need to know what your household uses in a month .. do the MATH!
With one container on hand (that is easy to refill)
I'll stock up on the much larger REFILL SIZE here ..
(the cost per ounce is much less!)

-- PAPER PLATES, Plastic Utensils .. PICNIC ITEMS! (including Napkins!)
This is a no-brainer .. for an active family
We constantly have a need for these items on hand
(living along the Gulf Coast, there's always some outdoor event happening)
I do stock up .. these items don't expire .. but I'm also aware of how much I use in .. say .. 6 months to a year's worth of time ..
These can take up space in your pantry .. so you must decide here how much you want on hand ..

Link to the articles
http://unclutterer.com/2007/10/10/items-to-buy-in-bulk/
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2011/06/20/11-th...
http://www.wisebread.com/bulk-buying-101
http://www.thekitchn.com/conscientious-cook-which-foods-64937
http://www.dailyfinance.com/photos/best-things-to-buy-in-bulk/
http://www.nctakecontrol.com/Take%20Control_23.pdf

And for the OTHER side of this issue (WHAT NOT To purchase in bulk)
http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/smart-spending/best-stuff...

What TIPS do you have for Shopping/Bulk Buying that has helped you save and economize?
What things should you AVOID in BULK Shopping (by your own experience?)
Is there any particular SALE you look for .. at your local retailers/groceries to Bulk Purchase at?
Do you do anything on your own to Bulk Store what you grow, hunt, fish?

Please feel free to add your thoughts below ...

• Striker 2012/04/02 00:36:40
    Striker
    +7
    One of the big jokes in this world is little plastic bottles of water. Yes, one should have a good stash, but that's NOT the way! Here's the deal. Most municipal water may cost you maybe (wildly) $5 per 1,000 gallons (= 8,000 16 oz pints). It MUST be safe to send it around in a public system. So maybe that same $5 will buy you a whole laughable case of dinky plastic bottles, which will add up what, 3 gallons? Yep the dinkies are good to have traveling in the car, just refill them from your tap. Water for reserves - rinse and refill gallon milk jugs. To get ripped off on this is foolish.

• Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/04/03 03:58:54
    Other Thoughts ..
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +1
    Here we're in the earthquake zone, probably should stock up, but it has the benefit of not having happened before. I actually am planning to stock up on easy prepare non-perishable foods , water and ammo before the next election.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/03 00:07:15
  • goatman112003 2012/04/02 22:45:55
    Other Thoughts ..
    goatman112003
    +1
    Get a gas grill and a couple of extra tanks. Also get a generator with extra heavy duty cords. If the power goes or something else happens you have a way to get the fridge and freezer going as needed plus run the well pump if needed.. Remember on bleach it is the ingredient not the brand that counts. All bleach has the same ingredients.
  • TuringsChild 2012/04/02 21:49:02
    TuringsChild
    +1
    Beans and rice for sure, bleach for water purification, canned goods, dry pasta, and lots of recycled 2-quart juice bottles you refill with water. TP, and buy laundry soap in those plastic buckets. Later you can use the buckets for other storage, or put a toilet seat on top and add kitty litter if the sewer system breaks down.
  • relic 2012/04/02 21:47:48
    relic
    +1
    Shop for anything you need at Costco. Need a couple rolls of toilet paper? How about 45 instead.

True for anything they sell.
  • S.M. 2012/04/02 21:32:48
    S.M.
    +2
    Rice, beans, peanut butter, powered milk, water, canned fruit, soup, canned veggies and meats. Dried fruit and nuts.
  • jflip 2012/04/02 21:13:20
    jflip
    +1
    pretzels
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/04/02 21:06:28
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    Charcoal
    Bug Spray (mosquitoes come out with a vengeance after a hurricane)
    Hand Sanitizer (you may be without water for a spell)
    Baby Wipes (for general personal hygiene for everyone, not just babies)
    Bandages of all sizes
    GREAT POST, btw!
  • Ed 2012/04/02 20:34:41
    Ed
    +1
    Toilet paper, batteries and candy...
  • Andy 2012/04/02 20:28:30
    Andy
    +2
    Light bulbs on sale...toilet paper on sale...paper towels on sale and the same for soap. This stuff lasts forever!!
  • Link 2012/04/02 11:16:00
    Other Thoughts ..
    Link
    +6
    It is also good to note that, even though a food item may say outdated after xx/xxxx, that is generally an over exaggerated date... usually the food item actually stays a lot longer than that... It may sound risky, but know your products...

Another good note to keep in mind:
    1) keep a hand operated can opener... you might not have power for a while to use the electric one;
    2) Canned veggies and other products such as baked beans, etc. They can always be eaten cold in case there's no power or other to heat them up...
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2012/04/02 04:01:45
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +4
    When it comes to paper goods my husband actually hoards toilette paper, small paper plates as well as plastic cups. I concentrate mainly meats, frozen goods, water, sugar, four, dry noodles, paper towels, first aide equipment (including water purifier), even garden seeds. I try to remember to pick up a thing of detergent every time I'm at the store. Been needing to pick up a case of bleach. Recently, purchased a case of mason jars as they can be used for a ton of different things. Like the idea about stocking up on cat food and dog food.
  • Wolfstar 2012/04/02 03:44:55
    Wolfstar
    +4
    Food with 5+ years out date, water, ammo.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/04/02 01:10:01
    Other Thoughts ..
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +4
    Great list, sglmom. Below are my always-on-hand items, not necessarily in bulk because I'm alone (besides the ones you mention).

Dry milk, T.P./ tissues/napkins (a multi-purpose household paper product), white vinegar or ammonia -- some kind of suds-free sanitizer/cleaner, canned foods (veg, tuna), batteries, candles.

If you buy all the gum, there won't be any left to get dropped on the sidewalk (I agree -- that's sooo disgusting).

If I were to have a multi-day power failure, my dog would probably be in better shape than I would lol.
  • FeedFwd... jubil8 ... 2012/04/02 18:47:18
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    No rinse hand cleaner is a great invention. Don't know if you need it in bulk or not.
  • jubil8 ... FeedFwd... 2012/04/02 19:53:39
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +4
    Great add, tx! I don't need it in bulk, but buying a LARGE bottle is cheaper. I'll get it the next time I see it lol.

Our services work pretty well around here most of the time, but sanitation concerns me more than just a plain power failure -- you never know anymore what's in the water.
  • darlene 2012/04/02 01:00:29
    darlene
    +2
    Junk food.
  • Andy darlene 2012/04/02 20:27:41
    Andy
    +2
    usually full of preservatives... will last until Jesus returns!!
  • darlene Andy 2012/04/03 21:24:19
  • Striker 2012/04/02 00:36:40
    Striker
    +7
  • FeedFwd... Striker 2012/04/02 18:46:05
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    You can even buy gallon jugs of water at the grocery more resonably than the "dinky" bottles. You can never have enough water, but it is dard to store. If you keep a few jugs of water frozen in your freezer, it will help keep things colder longer in the event of electrical outages. And when it finally thaws you have drinking water.
    +5
    I got Dove soap in bulk from Amazon
  • Annie~P... Sister ... 2012/04/02 04:03:40
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +2
    Good idea. I love Amazon, they have every thing!
  • Sister ... Annie~P... 2012/04/02 20:18:36
  • jubil8 ... Sister ... 2012/04/02 19:55:52
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    Tx, Sister. I forget that Amazon isn't just for books anymore (and I had no idea it had moved into the personal products area). :)

2014/04/21 07:21:30