Tommy Mottola, Thalia Welcome Son: Is 61 Too Old to Be a New Dad?

Tommy Mottola is a new dad again ... at age 61.

The music mogul, who is married to 39-year-old Mexican singer/actress Thalia, welcomed his second child with her on Saturday, a boy named Matthew Alejandro Mottola.

Mottola, the former head of Sony Music Entertainment, was married to Lisa Clark from 1971-1990; they had two children, Sarah and Michael. He was married to Mariah Carey (and helped make her a star) from 1993-1998. He married Thalia in 2000; they also have a daughter, 3-year-old Sabina.

Do you think 61 is too old to have a new baby? With good health and luck on his side, Mottola will be able to make it to his son's college graduation -- and he's probably still able to throw a baseball around. But should parents be younger for their kids' sake?

Read More: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainm...

• Garciataria 2011/06/29 17:43:24
    Garciataria
    I'd be lucky to be a dad at any age!
  • C. C. Rider 2011/06/28 23:57:13
    C. C. Rider
    Awww lets face it, in man years he is only 40!
  • Quantum 2011/06/28 23:44:37
    Quantum
    As long as he's able to make fully-functioning sperm, he can be a dad. Lots of grandparents raise their grandchildren when something happens to the parents. It's only women that have trouble having children later in life. They have a preset number of eggs that drop every once in a while from the start of puberty until menopause. While men are always producing sperm. They only stop if something happens to their testicles.
  • JJ 2011/06/28 23:43:46
    JJ
    I feel it's up to the individual and how well they take care of themslves.
  • Eneri 2011/06/28 23:43:21 (edited)
    Eneri
    When I arrived into the family, my father was... eh... 62... Give or take. He's still doing just fine as far as his health is concerned.

From my point of view, it's nothing odd or abnormal. ^.^

Edit: Everyone seems to think that all people past given age are decrepit. Over half of the elderly where I live are in wonderful shape. It really *does* depend on how you live. (ie: My father knows several men in the 50yrs group that look like they are older than he is- 78!)
  • love america 2011/06/28 23:34:28
    love america
    its never to late to be a good LOVING parent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • XxAshleyxX 2011/06/28 23:32:00
    XxAshleyxX
    But I know someone who is 11, and there dad is about twice that age. O.o
  • YODA 2011/06/28 23:28:42
    YODA
    ITS NOT ABOUT AGE.ITS ABOUT RESPONSIBILITY BEING A PARENT.THE PROBLEM IS WHEN YOUR OLDER HAVING A BABY,CHANCES ARE YOU WILL NOT SEE YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER FULL LIFE CYCLE.AND YOU MIGHT NOT SEE YOUR GRANDCHILDREN.CHILDREN IS A GIFT TO US.WE SHOULD RECIEVE IT AND KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT.AS ALL OF US HERE IN SODAHEAD CAME FROM CHILDREN ,BABIES ,GIFTS WAS GIVIN TO ALL OUR PARENTS.OUR PARENTS TOOK CARE OF US.THEN WE GROW UP ASKING QUESTIONS AND THE OTHERS ANSWERED HERE IN SODAHEAD.IN REALITY MOTTOLA'S BABY WILL NOT GO TROUGH HARD TIMES FINANCIALLY.BUT IF MOTTOLA IS A POOR MAN OR AN AVERAGE MAN ITS A DIFFERENT STORY.CAUSE POOR MAN HAS TO BREAK HIS BACK TO RAISE A CHILD.POOR MAN'S AGE AS MOTTOLAS AGE @61.WILL GO TROUGH INJURIES WORKING HARD TO RAISE A BABY.
  • Beccy 2011/06/28 23:09:32
    He could be the children's grandfather
  • lanimar Beccy 2012/09/04 08:33:23
    lanimar
    +1
    Some young women who marry old man and had babies with them never see their age just their money. They don't realize the consequence on their children.
  • Beccy lanimar 2012/09/04 23:15:42
    No kidding. The baby grews up with no father
  • aazeen 2011/06/28 22:57:54
    aazeen
    nope, u are never too old to be a father
  • Boris Badinov 2011/06/28 22:54:31 (edited)
    Boris Badinov
    When the kid is 14 and he is 75 he had better have the money to provide a stand in for his gig. - This is not being fair to the child.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/06/28 22:54:02
    MOMMA THOMAS
    ...GUESS NOT.
  • ernest debrew 2011/06/28 22:39:29
    ernest debrew
    So he was Mariah Carey's ex-husband. I find it hard to believe that she was married way before she married Nick Cannon.

Yeah, congrats on Tommy as a father who also looks like a grandfather too.
  • Jackie 2011/06/28 22:00:37
    Jackie
    +1
    Hey, Abraham was a dad at 99, so 61 is a youngin' by comparison. :-)
  • kate 2011/06/28 21:37:01
    kate
    They have so much money that their choices don't even have any relation to real people. In the real world, people should think about how long they will be around to support the child.

In this case, the child probably won't even see his father most of the time and will be better off financially once the old man dies.
  • cassidysf 2011/06/28 21:29:34
    cassidysf
    +1
    as long as you are able to take care of and love your child, i dont think so.
  • Rainon 2011/06/28 21:28:21
    Rainon
    When you're rich you can pretty much do whatever you want. Damn my life sucks lmao
  • 83Pats12 2011/06/28 21:26:58
    83Pats12
    +1
    He will die when their son's in his twenties!! What an awful thing to put your son through.
  • viola 2011/06/28 21:17:55 (edited)
    viola
    Yes and No.

If you are rich and have plenty of money to provide for the child, then NO.
    If you have to bust your **** to provide for the child, then YES it is too old.
    There is a big difference between being Rich and Poor. A Rich Dad can
    hire someone to play ball with the kid.
  • NPC 2011/06/28 21:15:21
    NPC
    Use it or lose it ! None of our business really. He should have a new hair weave first. Mottola is well kown for his drama with his last bimbo wife, Carey. He did have a more normal marriage to this first ?
    Mariah Carey was also married to him in her first knot. SONY Music made this guy rich and a so called "celebrity. I thiink he had purchased and bought Carey and this average talent Thalia Mexican.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/06/28 21:15:13
    Lerro DeHazel
    +3
    YES . . . You are just punishing your child later on in life . . . Like Larry King . . . He is so stupid for doing that.
  • Astoria Malfoy♥ Bass Redfer... 2011/06/28 21:14:29
    Astoria Malfoy♥ Bass Redfern ~*In Harry Potter I Trust
    I think he looks healthy and in good shape for his age.
  • TasselLady 2011/06/28 21:04:01
    TasselLady
    +2
    Yes, mostly because sperm is just like women's eggs, they AGE. One doctor on the news said that the older a mother or father is, the more defects who up in the eggs and sperm. This is partly why women and men around those ages have children with defects, especially if they find it's in their gene pool. Very few people who are older produce children with no problems.
  • mrscas 2011/06/28 20:31:16
    mrscas
    +3
    He is too old but thank goodness the mother is young enough to keep up with a child.
  • prayer ... mrscas 2011/06/28 20:33:58
    prayer warrior
    If he was too old he would not be able to make a baby
  • mrscas prayer ... 2011/06/28 20:36:07
    mrscas
    +2
    Not necessarily.
    Zachary was older than that when St.John the Baptist was born
  • HestheCaptain 2011/06/28 20:26:34
    HestheCaptain
    +2
    If he can support the child in life or death, why not?
  • bob 2011/06/28 20:26:30
    bob
    +2
    Anyway he has enough money to hire someone to throw the basebase around with his son
  • sherry 2011/06/28 20:22:18
    sherry
    +1
    MOSES BECAME A DAD @ 100 - SO I SUPPOSE NOT...,
  • Bonnie 2011/06/28 20:18:24
    Bonnie
    +2
    To each their own. I'm glad my husband and I were 24 when we welcomed our little boy into the world - fertility and ticking biological clocks were not an issue, so we spent over two years as "just a married couple," which was nice. Also, we won't be paying for college and livIng expenses during his retirement, and we're young enough to have lots of energy to devote to our son. But college expenses aren't an issue for multi-million dollar families, and time to debit is not likely an issue for them either. Plus, older parents have a bit more life experience and patience (my mom rags on me about patience ALL the time...), and while 61 is definitely up there in age for baby-raising, my husband or I could be killed at any minute, making the concept of being alive to see your children grow into adulthood a relatively moot point. I like being a youngish mom, but I certainly would never tell someone they are wrong for wanting beautiful children just because they are older.
  • joe 2011/06/28 20:01:23
    joe
    +2
    You are as young as you feel.
  • OhWowLovelyXx0 2011/06/28 19:59:39
    OhWowLovelyXx0
    +3
    WTF!!!!!!!!! by the time the kid is 20 the dad will be 80!! 0.o.. or dead!
  • geraldine 2011/06/28 19:51:43
    geraldine
    +2
    Please people stop being so vain. You make it impossible for the kids. People think you are the grandparent. Have children when you are young enough to enjoy them. Just because you have money only makes you an elderly person with money who chose to have a child before you get on social security.
  • Nonpartisan 2011/06/28 19:49:36
    Nonpartisan
    +2
    As long as she is still young enough to be the mother.
  • Ava Alexander 2011/06/28 19:48:11 (edited)
    Ava Alexander
    +1
    Yes, I think that once you reach the age of 50, then you are too old to become a dad for the first time or again with a new wife. But then, we have the examples of Anthony Quinn, Tony Randall, and Ben Franklin to name a few who's wives were still bearing kids when they were in the 70's and 80's. The bad thing is when the dad dies when the kids are still infants, toddlers or in gradeschool.

P.S. Why didn't he have kids with Mariah Carey?
  • Bonnie Ava Ale... 2011/06/28 20:24:15
    Bonnie
    +1
    I'm curious, too...does she have kids? Maybe she didn't want them or couldn't have them. I enjoy being a youngish parent - my husband and I were both 24 when our son was born - but while one is more likely to die during their child's childhood after 50 or so, any one of us could be killed in a car accident on our way to WalMart tomorrow. That said, most of us also don't want to be trying to afford college and living expenses for our young adult children after retirement, and most of us depend on one or the other partner's health benefits for our children. So being extremely wealthy makes a difference. I hope, for that baby's sake, that he is in good health and can and WILL live an energetic, full life with his child.
  • Ava Ale... Bonnie 2011/06/28 20:28:24
    Ava Alexander
    +1
    You got a point about being wealthy, but sometimes, the wealth goes away by unwise spending, such as solid gold toliets, faucets, and everything people with a ton of money tend to gravitate towards, and then suddenly, they wake up one morning and all their money is gone. Don't know if that will be the case with Tommy Mottola, but you hear all the time how the extremely rich suddenly declare bankruptsy because of their indiscriminate spending. You know, they get used to that "certain lifestyle".

2014/12/20 15:01:39