Time Magazine Cover Shows Mom Breastfeeding 4-Year-Old Son: Did They Go Too Far?

If you're interested in these sorts of things, you've probably heard of "attachment parenting," in which mothers breastfeed for longer than the recommended six months to one year, partake in "co-sleeping" with their children and wear the kids in BabyBjorns. Well, Time magazine chose to take a look at the philosophy for their May 21 cover story, which they illustrate by featuring a mother breastfeeding her nearly 4-year-old son on the cover.

While some are calling the image overly sensational, it does illustrate the parenting method espoused by Dr. Bill Sears. Time takes a look at how Sears came to his philosophy, and interviews moms who believe in his theories, like "cover mom" Jamie Lynne Grumet. Of course, the mom they chose for the cover is 26, blonde, slim and attractive (we're just sayin'...). Do you think the cover goes too far?

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/05/10 22:07:26 (edited)
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +23
    Breast feeding a 4 year old? If your kid is big enough to stand and ask you for food, he's big enough to use a fork.

Also, where are the fathers in all of this? I can't imagine there are very many men on board with this, and if they are, they're lying.

• Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/12 21:35:34
    Live Free Or Die
    Look, I'm not saying it's wrong for everyone, I'm just saying it's wrong for many and there are reasons for that. If your child is in diapers I don't think that includes you!! Different or more unusual is not wrong in any case and people shouldn't be expected to fall into lockstep with everyone else around them. However, deviating entirely from normal expectations COULD cause some issues. That's just my opinion, I'm not judging every situation.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/13 00:23:35
    Naked
    but the only person you should be concerned about it being wrong for is you. who cares what other people do with their kids?
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/13 00:40:35
    Live Free Or Die
    Unless I think there is a serious case of abuse or neglect I don't.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/14 17:02:22
    Naked
    obviously... but this is neither.
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/14 17:11:39
    Live Free Or Die
    I read your links and what you, and a few others had to say and I've come to the conclusion that there's some biological basis to extend the breast feeding if one chooses it to maybe 4, or so....

So, I don't think it's wrong for every situation. That is my conclusion.

I do think it may be questionable beyond that, as suckling at a breast may have other social and psychological implications and might not be in the best interest of the child, regardless of biology. There is sociological factors to consider.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/15 03:19:54 (edited)
    Naked
    Of course there are sociological factors to CONSIDER... however that is because of the society we NOW live in, and thats not because of time or century. Its geographical. Here in America the majority frowns on breastfeeding in general, so naturally they'd be considered when talking about extended breastfeeding. However you have to remember that children mature and wean differently. Some walk and talk before others and most mothers can see and pay attention to their child's emotional needs to determine what is in their child's best interest when parenting. Some children are independent enough to wean at 2 and others aren't. While there are some mothers that do it for their OWN emotional need (which i think is selfish, but still not abuse), the majority do it because they are considering their child's emotional need. To wean a child before they are ready can have long term emotional instability and detrimental to emotional development.
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/15 05:36:52
    Live Free Or Die
    How do you know that it is detrimental to a child's emotional stability and emotional development to wean them prematurely? Oh, that's right, you don't. You are painting with a very broad brush in making such a statement. Same thing with saying women who wean before a child is ready are selfish. Another generalization......

It may be natural to breast feed until age 7 or 8 from a purely biological standpoint, but it is not necessary so long as the child has adequate food and drink, especially when you consider suckling as a means of self comfort. Most will not only frown on breast feeding as a kid gets older, but bottle feeding and pacifiers too.....This could also be considered "biological".

I appreciate your opinions and I can understand your angst in our society, as you are correct it isn't too breast feeding friendly, but this is changing now since doctors encourage it due to the immunity and nutritional benefits. Just try not to get upset with me for disagreeing or not knowing it all. Remember, neither do you. My issue was mainly with the photo. It's pushing an idea the woman may support, but I think she made a mistake.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/15 14:32:06
    Naked
    I said I THINK it's selfish, and that it was SOME women... so I don't see where It was a generalization. However there are several studies showing that premature weaning IS indeed detrimental to a child's emotional stability and development. I will gladly share once I dig them up. Most children are introduced solids between 4 and 6 months of age, and yet nursing is still encouraged until 2 years of age. A child of that age would really only be nursing 1-2 times a day. Food would be his main source of nourishment. My issue with the photo is that it puts women against each other. You don't have to breast feed at all to be "mom enough" let alone extended breastfeed. We're all mom enough.
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/15 20:46:02
    Live Free Or Die
    Yeah ok, you said "some" women are selfish.

But you made an arrogant sweeping generalization about how weaning prematurely causes emotional instability and is detrimental to emotional development.

But worse, is your continued way of disregarding and ignoring everything I've offered in this conversation while you push your own beliefs. You've gained nothing by it, but yet you go on.

I am no longer interested in pursuing this discussion with you, and I'll hope you'll respect my wish to discontinue it at this time.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/15 21:49:35
    Naked
    I said It CAN have long term effects on emotional stability and could be detrimental to emotional development. Not that it was written in stone somewhere. That is not a generalization. It's a possibility. You have simply taken everything I wrote out of context. I go on because I'm trying to explain my thought since you misunderstood it. You don't have to talk to me anymore, but don't take my text and add words that aren't there.
  • Naked Naked 2012/05/15 22:13:56
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/16 07:08:02
    Live Free Or Die
    None of what you say is true, though, nor does any of it make any sense. But you keep telling yourself that it does.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/16 12:52:12
    Naked
    Hows that?
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/16 13:41:13 (edited)
    Live Free Or Die
    Since most children don't experience long-term emotional instability or emotionally detrimental developmental problems from weaning, you failed to make a case.
  • Naked Live Fr... 2012/05/15 22:14:05
  • Live Fr... Naked 2012/05/16 13:53:57
    Live Free Or Die
    I have to install a higher level Adobe Flash Player to view your video link and can't right now due to time constraints.
  • LADY LI... Illjwamh 2012/05/11 21:14:15
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    I AGREE!
  • METALheadMom 2012/05/11 16:41:13
    METALheadMom
    +5
    I've seen these sick "Mothers" do this - you have no idea of what I wanted to say to them, but then I figured that was exactly what they wanted people to do. I wonder what they will have to say when CPS shows up. If that is not messing the kids head up, I'm hard pressed to know what is.
  • David William 2012/05/11 16:40:06
    David William
    +1
    I' not a big baby who lets the small things in life, like magazine covers hurt my feelings. Respond to me without sounding like the butthurt flows through you. I dare you.
  • ThePerfessor 2012/05/11 16:28:03
    ThePerfessor
    +1
    Breastfeeding calls for some discretion. Making a public spectacle like this mother is over the top. Time Magazine has no moral compass whatsoever.
  • Daryl 2012/05/11 16:15:48
    Daryl
    +2
    Liberals once again being creepy.
  • ☆ Queen... Daryl 2012/05/11 21:50:50
    ☆ QueenAline
    +1
    youo can say that again......
  • Meako 2012/05/11 16:04:24
    Meako
    +6
    That boy is way to big to be latched on to mommy's boobs... whats wrong with this?

sippy cup
  • dear•LT13☻ 2012/05/11 16:02:08
    dear•LT13☻
    just tellin it like it is I guess.... didn't want to know, but hey - now I do (and it's weird)
  • Nomad58 2012/05/11 15:59:50
    Nomad58
    +2
    Time is a failing magazine. They have to cover National Enquirer issues now just to stay in business

failing magazine cover national enquirer issues stay business
  • JuliaLoren 2012/05/11 15:44:45
    JuliaLoren
    +4
    there is nothing at all wrong with breastfeeding. its so funny that people find this offensive, but dont care when women and men are more than half naked in a picture on a cover, but oh lordy lordy! this is just horrible!! hahaha they obviously were fed too much cows milk as a child.
  • ☆ Queen... JuliaLoren 2012/05/11 15:53:55
    ☆ QueenAline
    +3
    and you've been fed too much liberalism......It is NOT (according to the poll) acceptable...not in a civilized society.
    NO...there is NOTHING wrong with breast feeding...but there is a limit and this has gone way over the limit
  • JuliaLoren ☆ Queen... 2012/05/11 16:23:59
  • Naked ☆ Queen... 2012/05/11 20:37:36
    Naked
    actually it hasn't. This isn't about liberalism or politics... this is about being a human being and feeding a child. The world health organization suggest Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.<--- see that word... BEYOND. We are mammals, no matter how "civilized" you see yourself you're ALWAYS going to be a mammal. Get over it.
  • ☆ Queen... Naked 2012/05/11 21:48:52
    ☆ QueenAline
    YOU get over it...this is not a third world country YET...so don't tell me about what world health organizations suggest....feeding a child in a third world country would be a totally different situation....just because we can, doesn't mean we need to go to this extreme....and yes...i do see myself as civilized., but certainly not an animal...so why act like one? .
  • Naked ☆ Queen... 2012/05/12 02:02:47
    Naked
    News flash. You're an animal. If a creature gets its energy from eating other things and it can move around on its own, then scientists call it an animal. Dogs, cats, frogs, fish, dinosaurs, and humans are all examples of animals. Pick up a book.
  • ☆ Queen... Naked 2012/05/12 02:42:40
    ☆ QueenAline
    I'm an animal.....LOL.,..oh...maybe a creature? go suck an egg...You're off our rocker
  • Naked ☆ Queen... 2012/05/12 03:56:43
    Naked
    lol so hostile... I expected more from someone so "civilized". =)
  • Nomad58 JuliaLoren 2012/05/11 16:04:48
    Nomad58
    +2
    You're right, but a 4 yo is far beyond the normal weaning period.
    The beneficial nutrients from breast milk have already provided their protection, so this is overkill.
  • JuliaLoren Nomad58 2012/05/11 16:25:53
    JuliaLoren
    +1
    whatever, i still dont find it offensive, its her body and her child. id rather feed my child breastmilk than cows milk, regardless of age its a lot healthier. im not saying its "normal" to drink breastmilk at an older age, but if you want to talk about health, its still better than cow milk.
  • Nomad58 JuliaLoren 2012/05/12 01:59:38
    Nomad58
    +1
    What have you got against cows?
  • JuliaLoren Nomad58 2012/05/14 13:44:23
    JuliaLoren
    nothing at all, i think its disgusting that we exploit them for the milk that belongs to their babies.
  • Nomad58 JuliaLoren 2012/05/14 13:55:05
    Nomad58
    That's the funniest thing I've heard this month.
  • JuliaLoren Nomad58 2012/05/14 18:30:25
    JuliaLoren
    what?
  • Nomad58 JuliaLoren 2012/05/14 20:08:15
    Nomad58
    What you said above, it was hilarious.

hilarious

2014/10/21 00:54:24