Those taught by nuns in Catholic elementary and high schools. Do you like nuns.? How did nuns treat you in school.? Do you feel some nuns joined convents because they were lesbians, hiding fact from families and society.? All welcome.

strawberry 2011/03/19 04:52:50
I DID HAVE NUN'S IN SCHOOL, AND DISLIKED THEM.  WHY ?
YES, I BELIEVE SOME NUNS WERE LESBIANS.
NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
NUNS ARE TOO NARROW MINDED TO TEACH.  WHY?
Remembering nuns, especially in those years when they wore long habits, covered farheads, long heavy rosary beads, rarely smiled, wasted no time humilating students, or hitting you with rulers makes me really dislike them. Many women in the 1940's and 1950's either got married or became nuns. This was also true in much of the 1960's. We must give them credit for keeping order in classrooms with over 50 students. Nuns also made sure sudents learned reading, writing, and arithmetic. If they were so happy to become nuns, so devoted to God, why were they so miserable most of the time.? Many were deliberately hateful, loving to pick on students. As years went by less and less women became nuns, an interesting thought. Just as homosexual priests have been hiding in Catholic churches, was it also possible lesbian women hid behind nun's robes in convents.? Nuns always segregated boys from girls even in elementary schools. I saw nuns publicly humiliate an eight grade boy and girl just for kissing. Anything about natural sex was disgusting and taboo to many nuns.

• **Bessie** 2011/03/21 02:44:50
    NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
    **Bessie**
    +12
    I was taught by nun's from 1969 through 1976. Sister Eleanor Marie, Sister Cornelia, Sister Michael Vincent, Sister Marion, Sister Michael...they were all good teachers and great people. I don't know or suspect anything more about their lives. They were strict, but fair. I am thankful that I had the experience to know them and learn from them.

• Liliannganga 2014/02/10 08:05:43
    I DID HAVE NUN'S IN SCHOOL, AND DISLIKED THEM. WHY ?
    Liliannganga
    +1
    I was in a boarding school in primary school and the experience was traumatizing. Every time i meet with my old classmates of more than 15 years we only talk of the hell we went through. We got corporal punishments for everything, getting a beating was the order of the day. I see people saying they were beaten with a ruler....that's mild we got our asses whipped with sticks and belts that were purposely made for that. The nuns that schooled us were always angry and its like they were venting out on us for not having there dreams fulfilled or something. Up until this day i hate nuns i see a nun and i roll my eyes even if i don't know them.
    One Nun who was my teacher sister Lucy is still a teacher even now and she is still torturing young kids. I remember this one time most of the members of my class failed to reach a pass mark in Math....oh boy, she told us we all prepare for a blood bath...who does that. We got a whopping of our lives, my ass was sore for days, i was angry fearful and had to cram math to avoid that battle again. She made sure she and the others instilled in us fear so we could oblige to everything without questioning or discussing about it. Al thou we tended to perform well in our studies due to this fear in our minds we still suffer from this harshness and this odd methods of "child nurturing".
    Now most nun schools have improved dues to complains from parents and government but still Catholic schools remain a no no for me.
  • strawberry Liliann... 2014/02/11 21:33:12
    strawberry
    I understand what you are talking about. I lived with too much ridiculous fear as a child because of nuns.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/08/23 12:33:48
  • strawberry I NEED ... 2011/08/23 15:26:00
    strawberry
    +1
    I posted another question on nuns after this one which I tried making choices more friendly. One choice was do you believe some nuns were Lesbians because in those days they had to hide this from their families. It was not meant as sarcastic. I think this question really annoyed her. You can look it up, but this was a few years ago. I feel as children we could have learned so much more. Nuns were very restrictive, they stuck with the basics.
  • TonyDahlinVenice 2011/05/31 15:46:37
    TonyDahlinVenice
    +1
    I detest violence! Particularly, when it comes under the "cloak of authority"!
  • TonyDah... TonyDah... 2011/05/31 15:49:53
    TonyDahlinVenice
    "There is a reason", someone becomes a NUN!
  • strawberry TonyDah... 2011/05/31 21:45:51
    strawberry
    +1
    What is the reason in your opinion.?
  • Conchit... strawberry 2013/05/06 20:30:26
    Conchita m Johnson
    +2
    The only idiots that dislike nuns are the spoiled kids that don't appreciate what a wonder gift the nuns contributed to our society yes they give disapline
  • strawberry TonyDah... 2011/05/31 21:45:13
    strawberry
    +1
    I know what you mean.
  • Janut Stebbins 2011/05/03 16:55:46
    Janut Stebbins
    +1
    Do nuns teach religon in the classroom, such as in history, science (evolution) or social studies courses? How do they differ from public school teachers?
  • strawberry Janut S... 2011/05/03 17:01:44
    strawberry
    +1
    There is too much concentration on religious teachings, more focus on reading, spelling, writing and math, but little focus on science. Too close minded of an education.
  • PEEPL 2011/04/05 03:11:56
    NUNS ARE TOO NARROW MINDED TO TEACH. WHY?
    PEEPL
    +2
    The few nuns that I met were brutal for no reason. They should not have been around small children, at least the ones that I met.
  • strawberry PEEPL 2011/04/05 16:31:57
    strawberry
    +2
    I agree with you, many should not have taught young children. Many nuns were sadistic who deliberately liked to bully. They took their frustrations out in their classrooms. We did learn reading, writing, spelling, math, some history but their teaching was mainly religion.
  • Alsatian Sage 2011/03/25 19:16:05
    Alsatian Sage
    +2
    They are people. Each with their own issues. Most are good and well intentioned, while others are dead set the world is evil and all must be saved/corrected by any means possible. Including the knuckle rapture. 4th grade nun was certain I was tone deaf, dis-proven in 6th-8th grade public school choir, 1st & 2nd chair positions. lol
  • RayG 2011/03/24 02:49:00
    NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
    RayG
    +3
    Had Franciscan nuns grade 1-8; Jesuits for 4 years of high school. Never regretted a minute of that education
  • strawberry RayG 2011/03/24 03:58:34
    strawberry
    +1
    My son and brother graduated Chaminade High School, Mineola, L.I., N.Y. with Brothers teaching. Chaminade is an excellent private all boys Catholic High School. These Brothers were more modern, more open-minded then nuns I had teaching in the 1950's. Fox News Reporter Bill O'Reilly graduated from Chaminade, also Actor Brian Denahey.
  • betz 2011/03/24 01:17:05
    betz
    +4
    I did attend Catholic schools through the third grade and hated every minute of it! When the ball when on to the boy's side of the playground Sister Mary Ligouri had to get it for us. Heaven forbid we came close to anyone of the opposite sex. It was downright weird. I had the likes of Sister Mary Bonaventure (she could break an apple in two pieces with her bare hands), Sister Mary Perpetua (she would fall asleep in class and a kid named William would gentle awaken her) and sister Mary Anita who had yellow gnarled fingernails. Yep I had a great foundation. Ick Ick. It seems nuns live to be 100+ so it's my guess they're still alive and living in an old nun home somewhere.
  • strawberry betz 2011/03/24 04:11:11
    strawberry
    +2
    You made me laugh betz. I went to a Catholic elementary school up to 5th grade. If I stayed any longer I would have been dead. I could not understand why nuns segregated boys from girls in early elementary school years. Boys sat on one side of the class, girls on the other. I was only in 3rd or 4th grade when an 8th grade boy and girl were caught kissing. Some nuns humilated them publicly. I really felt so bad for those two kids. Many of those nuns could have done psychological harm. They even turned off a funny Laurel and Hardy movie we were watching in the auditorium when a few Hawaiian Hula dancers started dancing. If nuns claimed they loved God so much why were they always so miserable.
  • betz strawberry 2011/03/25 00:10:47
    betz
    +2
    Maybe they needed to go on dates occasionally. LOL A few years ago a former nun gave an interview in our local newspaper and told the story of how, when her father came to town, he wanted to take her to lunch but she wasn't allowed to go alone with him. the priest said people would wonder why she was alone in the car with a man. Geesh.
    Yeah, strawberry they were good at the public humilitation stuff. I also remember how we always had to keep our hands above the desk. Hmmmm.....sister generally had her's under her habit. Bad Sister. LOL
  • strawberry betz 2011/03/26 00:16:02
    strawberry
    +1
    Nuns I had did not like me. I had this girlfriend in 4th grade, we constantly laughed, at anything. Nuns would take us to mass. One priest was very old; when he said mass he had a very broken scary voice like Jacob Marley with those chains in "Scrooge". I tried so hard not to laugh but could not help laughing. The nun kept glaring at me. My 3rd grade nun was the worst for humiliation. She made me stand in front of the class with a belt in her hand. She did not hit me but made a scene. I don't even remember doing anything wrong. This only made other kids tease me more. Nuns had a few favorite students. The nun would constantly say look how good so and so is.? Look how smart so and so is.? I wanted to smack that kid. I was so miserable in that school. We had atomic bomb drills. A bell would ring, we had to go under our desks or squat against the wall in the hallway. In 5th grade I went to public school until 9th grade when my mother decided to send me to Catholic high school. I thought my nightmares of elementary school were over. I cried begging her not to send me there; I had friends, was making good grades. Well I went riding on a bus with all girls singing crazy songs. We were uniforms, but one day on gym day I wore sneakers. I really thought we could wear sneakers ...
    Nuns I had did not like me. I had this girlfriend in 4th grade, we constantly laughed, at anything. Nuns would take us to mass. One priest was very old; when he said mass he had a very broken scary voice like Jacob Marley with those chains in "Scrooge". I tried so hard not to laugh but could not help laughing. The nun kept glaring at me. My 3rd grade nun was the worst for humiliation. She made me stand in front of the class with a belt in her hand. She did not hit me but made a scene. I don't even remember doing anything wrong. This only made other kids tease me more. Nuns had a few favorite students. The nun would constantly say look how good so and so is.? Look how smart so and so is.? I wanted to smack that kid. I was so miserable in that school. We had atomic bomb drills. A bell would ring, we had to go under our desks or squat against the wall in the hallway. In 5th grade I went to public school until 9th grade when my mother decided to send me to Catholic high school. I thought my nightmares of elementary school were over. I cried begging her not to send me there; I had friends, was making good grades. Well I went riding on a bus with all girls singing crazy songs. We were uniforms, but one day on gym day I wore sneakers. I really thought we could wear sneakers on gym day. That nun acted as if I killed someone. It was innocent, but she called me a liar. She thought I was evil, would tell my mother to send me away to some school run by nuns for problem girls; like Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest" sending her daughter Christina away to that school run by nuns for girls who they thought were terrible sinners. I only stayed there one year, went back to public school. Did you read about millions of dollars Jesuit Priests recently had to pay for molesting Native American Indian boys years ago.?
  • betz strawberry 2011/03/26 00:29:38
    betz
    +2
    Good grief strawberry. You went through the wringer. Did not read about the Jesuit Priests.
  • strawberry betz 2011/03/30 03:06:36
    strawberry
    +1
    I read an article on my computer news page. Jesuit Priests have to pay millions of dollars to Native American Indian boys for molesting them many years ago. These boys lived in some type of boarding care, and school facility, under care of these Jesuit Priests. A famous profit predicted the final Catholic Pope. Counting how many it would come down to, the Pope who is currently at the Vatican, would be the last Pope. I believe the Roman Catholic Church will fall. In elementary school nuns took us to see the movie, "Lady of Fatima" about Mary giving messages to three children of Fatima. If this was true this message was suppose to have been read in early 1960's. I never knew if it was a town hoax or true. Anyway I felt if it were true the Vatican was hiding scandals about themselves. The last Polish Pope did reveal some of the message but not all of it. A few television documentaries on the topic brought up a possibility the Vatican hid the message because it showed a bad light on them.
  • Alsatia... betz 2011/03/25 19:04:28 (edited)
    Alsatian Sage
    +3
    Catholic School Survivor too!
    Been there, dun that. lol
    Got break in my edumakation grades 6-8 public school, only to return to my training processes in Catholic School, until they decided I should not return the 1st semester of Senior year. That break gave me a month off for Christmas. I showed up in time for the principle to greet me. He asked, "What are you doing here?" I replied, "You said I couldn't come back next semester, ... Here I am!"
    He was pleased, while rubbing his neck. Figured he was holding his veins in.
  • betz Alsatia... 2011/03/25 22:52:02
    betz
    +3
    welcome to another survivor.
  • Alsatia... betz 2011/03/25 22:57:21
    Alsatian Sage
    +3
    I even got month off for Christmas w/18yo drinking age. Nice, nine priests. lol
  • betz Alsatia... 2011/03/25 23:07:00
    betz
    +2
    LOL......I guess the time off paid.
  • Alsatia... betz 2011/03/25 23:42:55
    Alsatian Sage
    +2
    Even got graduation pic in two yearbooks. ... makes me an semi-official grad for both.
    Grad class at public school over 1200 while catholic grad class less than 100.
  • BUCKY-- SKYNYRD 2011/03/23 14:32:12
    NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
    BUCKY-- SKYNYRD
    +4
    they also hit us with stick's, and i wore gum on my nose a lot, but they were fair. i sent both of my kids to a Catholic school, and told the nuns to do what they needed to do to teach them. i didn't send them there for religion, i sent them there for discipline that is non existent in the public schools.
  • cutter's falls 2011/03/23 04:39:00
  • strawberry cutter'... 2011/03/23 05:48:08 (edited)
    strawberry
    Why would you think of nuns in a sexual manner.? If you are referring to Lesbians, it would be quite normal for some to join convents in a time they were not yet accepted openly. It is true children of older generations learned good reading, writing, spelling and math skills. Nuns controlled 50 students in classrooms, but children, even those of high school age had much more respect for school property, other people, animals, and learning. They also learned discipline and respect at home. As far as some on here not daring to go where nuns did. I was in third world countries doing charity work where many nuns did not go.
  • cutter'... strawberry 2011/03/23 12:08:09
  • Ms M 2011/03/23 04:27:45
    NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
    Ms M
    +5
    I loved my second grade nun. I remember missing her when I moved on down the grades.
  • strawberry Ms M 2011/03/23 05:55:47
    strawberry
    +1
    All schools both private, Catholic, and public have both good and bad instructors. I'm happy your experience was positive.
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/03/23 03:54:20
    NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    I wasn't in Catholic schools until I was a teacher. The nuns there frankly scared me, especially one nun who was six feet tall and could have played linebacker for any pro team. I think most of them were very dedicated teachers, but they didn't put up with the stuff teachers have to deal with today.
  • strawberry TruBluT... 2011/03/23 05:34:10
    strawberry
    Nuns did not have school boards or school administrators to answer to. Nuns ran their classrooms the way they wanted to. They had to teach under Vatican laws. What most nuns innocently believed as true fact of Vatican teachings concerning religion and science, limited education of science in their classrooms. If nuns were teaching in public schools using their standard strictness, most students these days would pay no attention to them. In fact they would bully the nuns. Then parents who don't care how their kids behave in school would hollar abuse to school administrators. Too many students in U.S. schools are so out of control, bringing guns to school, no respect for school property, no decent dress code, test scores lowered to pass lazy or less intelligent students is pitiful. Those with constant problem behaviors should be kicked out for good. Students who are intelligent, have respect, want to learn don't belong in classrooms with morons. I don't know how many teachers even bother teaching in most U.S. schools, especially inner city schools. Many parents are also to blame for allowing undisciplined behavior of their children. Public schools I went to in the 1960's did not have drug problems, no metal dectectors, no school security police. There were a fe...
    Nuns did not have school boards or school administrators to answer to. Nuns ran their classrooms the way they wanted to. They had to teach under Vatican laws. What most nuns innocently believed as true fact of Vatican teachings concerning religion and science, limited education of science in their classrooms. If nuns were teaching in public schools using their standard strictness, most students these days would pay no attention to them. In fact they would bully the nuns. Then parents who don't care how their kids behave in school would hollar abuse to school administrators. Too many students in U.S. schools are so out of control, bringing guns to school, no respect for school property, no decent dress code, test scores lowered to pass lazy or less intelligent students is pitiful. Those with constant problem behaviors should be kicked out for good. Students who are intelligent, have respect, want to learn don't belong in classrooms with morons. I don't know how many teachers even bother teaching in most U.S. schools, especially inner city schools. Many parents are also to blame for allowing undisciplined behavior of their children. Public schools I went to in the 1960's did not have drug problems, no metal dectectors, no school security police. There were a few fights in school halls but no guns or knives used. My brother and son received an excellent education at Chaminade High School, Mineola , N.Y. an all boys private school taught by Brothers. Fox News Bill O'Reilly graduated from Chaminade. They wore slacks, shirts and ties, a sport coat and dress shoes. School uniforms are needed in public schools these days.
  • TCFla 2011/03/23 00:16:11
    NUNS GAVE ME A GOOD EDUCATION.
    TCFla
    +8
    From 1966 to 1976, I attended Catholic grammar school and high school taught by the Sisters of St. Joseph. I recall those years with a lot of fondness. The nuns were strict, but fair. Their main goal was to teach us and that they did.

When I was young, they wore the long habits. Later on, they went to the short dress. Many of them smiled and were quite friendly. I never saw any of them hit anyone. I know it has happened because I have heard the stories, but we must have had a group that was able to control the class with an authoritative look or voice. It is too bad that this is no longer the case in education. I am appalled by what I see.

I am thankful that I had such a positive experience and wish I could have given the same to my own children.
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2011/03/22 18:43:44
  • Adi Dave**G... 2011/03/22 18:47:12
    Adi
    +5
    LOL....yikes!!!
  • strawberry Adi 2011/03/23 01:53:32
    strawberry
    +2
    The nun in Dave's picture had a television series for many years. I think "Mother Angelica" She had a sense of humor.
  • Ms M strawberry 2011/03/23 04:28:37
    Ms M
    +2
    Naw! Thats Sister Mary Elephant! lol!

2014/09/02 09:27:09