THINK BEFORE YOU DONATE.

Elleryqueen 2012/12/03 12:43:41

THINK BEFORE YOU DONATE

SOMETHING TO THINK
ABOUT BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS:

As you open your
pockets to do a good thing

and
make yourself feelgood,
please keep the
following facts in mind:
----------------------------

The
American Red Cross

President
and CEO Marsha J. Evans'

salary
for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

MARCH
OF DIMES

It
is called the March of Dimes because

only
a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy
.

The
United Way
President
Brian Gallagher

receives
a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense
benefits.

UNICEF
CEO
Caryl M. Stern receives

$1,200,000
per year (100k per
month)
plus all expenses
including
a ROLLS ROYCE.

Less
than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

GOODWILL
CEO
and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year
.
Goodwill
is a very catchy name for his business.

You
donate to his business and then he sells the items for
PROFIT.

He
pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice
Guy.

$0.00
goes to help anyone!
Stop
giving to this man.

----------------------------

Instead,give
it to ANY OF THE FOLLOWING

GO
"GREEN" AND PUT YOUR MONEY

WHERE
IT WILL DO SOME GOOD
:

The
Salvation Army

Commissioner,
Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only

$13,000
per year
(plus
housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.

96
percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The
American Legion

National
Commander receives a
$0.00
zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and
youth!

The
Veterans of Foreign Wars

National
Commander receives a
$0.00
zero salary.

Your
donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The
Disabled American Veterans

National
Commander receives a
$0.00
zero salary.
youth!

The
Military Order of Purple Hearts

National
Commander receives a
$0.00
zero salary.
youth!

The
Vietnam Veterans Association
National
Commander receives a
$0.00
zero salary.

Your

Make
a Wish:
For
children's last wishes.

100%
goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.

St.
Jude Research Hospital

100%
goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and
can
not afford to pay
.

Ronald
McDonald Houses

All
monies go to running the houses for parents
who
have critical Children in the hospital.

100%
goes to housing, and feeding the families.

Lions
Club International

100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE
BLIND,
BUY
HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS
AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST
UNDERTAKING

IS
MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).

Please
share this with everyone you can.

• timothy.hill.14 2012/12/04 10:20:23
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    Salvation army always gets my help. Thanks for sharing the truth and letting people know.
  • Elleryq... timothy... 2012/12/04 14:38:11
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Salvation Army always gets our help. Also, my wife pillages, as she calls it, at their thrift store all the time.
  • timothy... Elleryq... 2012/12/04 18:24:06
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    Pillages- that's hilarious. I agree, of all the thrift stores I've ever shopped Salvation Army has the best quality items.
  • Elleryq... timothy... 2012/12/04 21:37:43
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Also what one may find in said thrift store oftentimes can be sold on eBay for many times what one paid for said item. Makes it a win, win proposition.
  • timothy... Elleryq... 2012/12/04 21:58:02
    timothy.hill.14
    You're right about that, and it's one of the reasons I love watching Antiques Roadshow. My Grandmother found a little wooden statue one time at her thrift store in CA and put it on ebay. It went for several hundred dollars when she only paid a couple dollars for it. I never find anything nice at Goodwill and the place has a funk that makes me not want to spend much time in there ha ha.
  • Elleryq... timothy... 2012/12/05 14:21:53
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    With my luck if I bought something for $10.00 it would be worth about .50. If I bought a suit with extra pair of pants, would probably rip the coat. ol
  • timothy... Elleryq... 2012/12/05 19:05:59
    timothy.hill.14
    That's how it goes for me too. I found a couple cashmere sweaters for dollars but both had a hole around the side/arm pit area but I bought them anyway as they are great to sleep in during the winter. I just get things I am interested in rather than trying to find long lost treasures because I figure that's what everyone else is trying to do to.
  • Elleryq... timothy... 2012/12/05 21:00:31
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    We don't look for anything special per se, but don't overlook anything that may bring in a little extra money, which at this day and age is sorely needed.
  • Sweet-N-Sour 2012/12/03 16:27:05
  • Elleryq... Sweet-N... 2012/12/04 03:02:36
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Unfortunately most people do not realize that Goodwill is a misnomer. Nothing "Goodwill" about it. Strictly for profit and helps no one except the head man.
  • allison... Elleryq... 2012/12/13 00:21:37
    allison.scheuneman
    +6
    Actually, this is false info. I cannot speak for the CEO's salary because i don't know what that is. I do, however, work for Goodwill. I am not a store employee, but a career coach who helps kids just out of high school find jobs. If you know anything about Goodwill and their mission, it is to help unemployed or underemployed become contributing members of society by working and supporting themselves. The revenue the our stores create gets put back into our workforce develpment programs. Also, our store employees start out at $8.00 per hour instead of $7.40, which is minimum wage. Our stores pay higher than many other retail businesses. Just wanted to set the record straight.
  • Elleryq... allison... 2012/12/13 10:36:41
    Elleryqueen
    That may be where you are located, but not in general.
  • allison... Elleryq... 2012/12/13 18:08:41
    allison.scheuneman
    +7
    I don't know where you are getting you information from, but I can tell you that the workforce development programs they provide is nation wide. I checked out snopes on this and the name they provide in this info is not even correct, and his salary is no where near 2 million per year. http://www.snopes.com/politic...
    Please read this whole article, the truth about Goodill is further down the page. I have not problem calling out charities with shady stuff going on, but I do have a problem with people posting negative things without being truly educated on the subject.
  • Elleryq... allison... 2012/12/13 20:13:04
    Elleryqueen
    Then things have changed a whole lot since the 1970's. As for snopes, just a married couple who are wrong as often or more often than right. Truth or fiction is much better, which incidently I did not use. The information is from the 1970's time period. Most organizations do not change so drastically. Also, I never said he makes $2,000.000.00 a year. Have no idea where that came from/
  • Linnster 2012/12/03 14:30:31
    Linnster
    +2
    Much of what you posted here is accurate. There are, however, a couple of charities you mentioned that have been given poor ratings on charitynavigator.com, not because their CEOs take huge salaries, but because too much of their funds go towards administrative expenses and not enough to the people they're supposed to help.
  • Elleryq... Linnster 2012/12/03 15:11:36
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Couple which are?
  • Linnster Elleryq... 2012/12/03 15:39:26
    Linnster
    +1
    Let me check out your list and I'll definitely let you know.
  • Elleryq... Linnster 2012/12/03 16:04:33
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Thanks.
  • Linnster Elleryq... 2012/12/03 16:30:12
    Linnster
    +1
    Any time. I, too, would like to make sure that the money I send is going to the people it's supposed to help. You'd be amazed at the number of charities that use too much money for fund-raising and administrative expenses.
  • Linnster Elleryq... 2012/12/03 16:23:24
    Linnster
    +2
    The following are not evaluated: Salvation Army (religious organization); American Legion, VFW, Military Order of the Purple Heart.

The DAV is under a donor advisory – An investigation charges that DAV has spent little of the tens of millions of dollars it has raised since 2007 on programs to help veterans. DAV responded.

Vietnam Veteran’s Association – no stars
    Ronald McDonald House (NY, NJ, CT) – 2 stars (other chapters may be better rated)
    Make-A-Wish – 3 stars
    Lions Club – 4 stars
    AMVETS – 3 stars

The following military charities are highly rated:
    Injured marine Semper Fi Fund – 4 stars
    Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America – 4 stars
    Fisher House Foundation - 4 stars
    Pat Tillman Foundation – 3 stars
    Wounded Warrior Project 3 stars

All listings can be found at:
    http://www.charitynavigator.o...
  • Elleryq... Linnster 2012/12/04 03:01:03
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Thank you very much.
  • Linnster Elleryq... 2012/12/04 03:25:40
    Linnster
    You are most welcome. That is very sound advice, by the way.
  • tarrylray Linnster 2012/12/10 14:03:34 (edited)
    tarrylray
    +11
    The Salvation Army is listed in Chronicles of Philanthropy as one of the countries most effective charities for a number of years running. Thanks for posting this...I learned a great deal!
  • Linnster tarrylray 2012/12/10 16:41:02
    Linnster
    +1
    Thanks for letting me know. We do a Salvation Army drive at work for Christmas as well as Marine Toys for Tots. Both are well run.
  • Elleryq... Linnster 2012/12/10 16:56:09
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Both are good programs, however; I do disagree with the "Toys for Tots" system of accepting only new toys still in wrapper. Marines did a wonderful job, which they loved doing, repairing older toys that were broken or otherwise needed repair. Said used toys now are destined for the dump. Big waste.
  • Linnster Elleryq... 2012/12/10 17:07:57
    Linnster
    Quite frankly, I like the idea of a new toy for two reasons. Simply because a child comes from a home that doesn't have the means to provide new toys, they shouldn't be relegated to second-hand things. Second, you have no idea whose toys they were or how clean they may be. There are some toys that cannot be properly washed and sanitized.
  • Elleryq... Linnster 2012/12/10 21:36:34
    Elleryqueen
    Ever hear of anyone/child getting sick from donated, sanitized used toys? I haven't. As for "relegated to second-hand things", happens all the time in familes with siblings. As I stated, Marines did a wonderful job.
  • Elleryq... tarrylray 2012/12/10 21:37:57
    Elleryqueen
    For as far back as I can remember, and I'll be 83 shortly. Thank you.
  • Bacci 2012/12/03 13:29:23
    Bacci
    +2
    I agree. About a week ago, I found out what CEO's of charities were making, like Goodwill and a few other major organizations, I was appalled. Now I know what charities I will be giving too, and those I won't. I've been an idiot, all these years, but no longer.
  • Elleryq... Bacci 2012/12/03 13:40:39
    Elleryqueen
    +1
    Fyi. Back in the 1970's Goodwill used the handicapped to fix/repair donated items. They were trained to do so, however; Goodwill charged them for the training, then paid them minimum wage.

Thewe days Goodwill will NOT
  • Bacci Elleryq... 2012/12/03 13:49:22
  • Elleryq... Bacci 2012/12/03 13:59:33
    Elleryqueen
    +2
    Tried to respond to previous comment, but computer froze in mid sentence. Back in the 1970's Goodwill used to repair donated items. They trained the handicapped to do said repair, but Goodwill charged them for the training then paid them minimum wage, which at that time was somewhere around $2.00 per hour.

Now Goodwill will NOT accept items if not in good or working condition, thereby increasing the profit. What most people do not know is that Goodwill is a PROFIT MAKING organization, not a charity.
  • Bacci Elleryq... 2012/12/03 14:06:08
    Bacci
    +1
    I didn't know that until recently. Someone had a post up here, and after reading it, I went and researched it myself, to find out the facts. Like I said, I was appalled. I didn't know they charged people for training!

I heard it said, Goodwill is the Walmart of Thrift Stores, and a couple of others are just like them. I'd rather give my money to a bum/whino on the street, than donate to them and charities like them anymore.
  • allison... Elleryq... 2012/12/13 00:36:22
    allison.scheuneman
    +11
    Goodwill does accept all kinds of items. They now have a recycling center where goods that are not "sellable" go. Also, they ARE a non profit. They offer job skill training for unemployed or dislocated workers. The revenue from the stores goes back into these programs. Also, this is not even the correct name of the CEO and he does not make 2 million a year. Check snopes, all of this info is on there. I think someone put a link to it on here.
  • allison... Bacci 2012/12/13 00:27:12
    allison.scheuneman
    +7
    Please check snopes on this in reference to Goodwill. This is not true! This is not even the CEO's name. Goodwill is a non profit organization that provides job training for unemployed and underemployed. The revenue from the stores goes back into the workforce deveopment programs they provide. Also, the store employees are not paid minimum wage. They start out at $8.00/hr instead of the $7.40 which is minimum wage. I know it's still not much, but it's more than quite a few other retail stores pay.
  • Bacci allison... 2012/12/13 00:31:57
    Bacci
    Ok thanks, I will definitely research it further.

2014/12/22 05:02:55