There's a Massive Drop in Razor Sales Because of Bearded Hipsters: Have You Seen More Facial Hair Lately?

Aly1234 2013/08/07 19:00:00
If razor companies like Gillette and Schick go out of business anytime soon, blame it on the hipsters! Young men in tight pants and V-necks have made facial hair cool, and more acceptable in the workplace. This means, less of a need to purchase razors.

hipster

Unit sales of Shick razors have dropped 10 percent. Market analyst Nicole Tyrimou wrote in Euromonitor, "The vogue for stubble, the relative non-hairiness of Chinese men, growing acceptance of the unshaven look in the workplace and, most importantly, the ever increasing cost of shaving have all been damaging to men’s shaving and Gillette alike."

In an effort to combat this, both Gillette and Shick are creating facial stylers. Products for trimming facial hair, rather than completely getting rid of it.

Does this news shock you? Do you feel that facial hair is really that prominent with men? I feel like when I walk around my neighborhood, I still see more men clean shaven than bearded. However, statistics are statistics. Have you seen more facial hair lately?

Read More: http://blog.euromonitor.com/2013/07/civil-war-in-m...

• maryd 2013/08/08 01:09:38
    maryd
    +8
    I work at a national drugstore chain and what we charge for blades is terrible. I can understand why men don't want to shave and why razors are the #1 item shoplifted.

• Naked 2013/08/10 01:01:42
    Naked
    And I love it! My husband has an awesome Beard.

daddy
  • Medulla Oblongata 2013/08/09 23:28:01
    Medulla Oblongata
    +1
    Maybe? I don't know. It's not like I pay attention.

i hate people gifs
  • Somkey the Hores 2013/08/09 23:01:37
    Somkey the Hores
    +2
    Hipsters, schmipsters. Just a bunch of clowns.
  • sally 2013/08/09 22:57:29
    sally
    I guess I don't pay attention.
  • TheBadOne 2013/08/09 22:30:41
    TheBadOne
    +2
    Note to companies: It's not hipsters, it's the fact you charge $30 for a pack of damn razors!
  • Darr247 2013/08/09 18:00:05
    Darr247
    +2
    How do you know it's not the result of more laser hair removal, or increased use of depilatory creams and waxing? Lots of women buy (or used to, anyway) men's razors... the disposable dual and triple blade models are identical except the women's are pink instead of orange or blue.

Supposition based on insufficient data, euromonitor.
  • Ben Richards 2013/08/09 17:38:43
    Ben Richards
    I'd venture to guess that those with facial hair that don't keep it trimmed and looking neat are probably less that 5% of those of us with facial hair. They are also probably near the top of the scale when it comes to being unemployed. There are always trends like this, just as there was in the 60's. It doesn't affect the razor industry at all. Women shave their legs as well ad I doubt if many of them will be quitting anytime soon.
  • John Adams 2013/08/09 17:27:53
    John Adams
    +1
    Yes, and it's gross.
  • James 2013/08/09 16:58:37
    James
    +1
    I actually have a beard, but I keep it trimmed and clean. I let my goatee grow out though, but still keep it clean.
  • Jaguar 2013/08/09 16:51:50
    Jaguar
    +3
    I hate it, but bushy beards are everywhere - I don't get it. It looks so untidy and student-like... Eh. I don't understand how you can be taken seriously as an adult with a colourful Santa beard.

Like this, it's smart and sophisticated...

goatee

Like this, you need to crawl back into the dumpster you escaped from...

bearded hipster
  • Frank 2013/08/09 16:35:03
    Frank
    +2
    The price of razor blades are astronomical.
  • ᗩda 乂 Frank 2013/08/09 17:17:09
    ᗩda 乂
    +1
    Ohhhhh yeah, ridiculously priced.
  • Charlie Frank 2013/08/10 12:16:02
    Charlie
    I steal them :)
  • cranejumper 2013/08/09 16:20:47
    cranejumper
    Don Johnson remember miami vice fads will come and go
  • juju.busby 2013/08/09 16:01:09 (edited)
    juju.busby
    +3
    No. I equate Hipster with Grunge. To me the Hipster/ Grunge " look" appears lazy, despondent, depressed, complacent, apathetic, going no-where/ immature and doesn't know better.

It makes me think of the following: dirty hippie, beatnk/ beatnick, street/ hood rat, drug user, low-life, homeless. I don't like the look, it shouts "I don't care".

THE LOOK: dirty clothes, dirt shine black skinny jeans too long and the hems frayed or let out, if they wear shoes...they don't wear socks, shirt tails hanging out and dragging...maybe even open with the verticle hairline showing below the navel, long unruly/ unkempt dirty hair or dreads, some sort of beard or facial hair that's wild, un-kept, and un-groomed, grungy bitten or dirty nails, some sort of hat is often thrown on...fedoras seem in style at the moment, dirty teeth. Achieving this look ON PURPOSE is gross.

Beards can be attractive, but American men don't pull it off well because it appears they use the beard as a way to abstain from grooming. Having a beard doesn't mean you don't shave or use a razor....it means you use the razor judiciously to shape/ groom your facial hair/ mustache/ beard. If you can't learn how to groom it, then shave it all off.

UNLESS: You have acne. I get that. You can't afford blades. Get ...

UNLESS: You have acne. I get that. You can't afford blades. Get that too, but you can keep it clean, trimmed, and neat. Or, you're a Logger, Fisherman, or work/ live outside in cold or freezing weather. I expect to see a beard on these guys... grow it out full to protect your face, and please keep it clean.
  • Gxoxo 2013/08/09 15:48:31
    Gxoxo
    And I love it. I love facial hair and semi long locks on men so sexy. I am not a fan of the buzz cut and bare face.
  • The Boss 2013/08/09 15:12:21
    The Boss
    +1
    But I must shave. I look old with a beard. Goatee would be fine, but full beard isn't right on me
  • DontDrinkSoda 2013/08/09 15:00:19
    DontDrinkSoda
    +1
    I shave less now than I ever have in my life.
  • Ashley 2013/08/09 14:36:38
    Ashley
    +1
    I have seen an increase in facial hair lately.
  • tooner259 2013/08/09 14:29:33
    tooner259
    I don`t shave `cause I`m lazy,and have no need to.I`m retired and on bloodthinners.Safer not to shave.(my excuse).
  • Dori 2013/08/09 13:59:28
    Dori
    +3
    Yes, and that with the sticky looking hair makes me think a bath and deodorant is badly needed. A toothbrush wouldn't hurt either.
  • Kigan 2013/08/09 13:44:27
    Kigan
    +1
    I quite like facial hair on a man as long as he keeps it groomed.

That said, I actually do not like the way I look with facial hair, so I still shave. Part of the shaving companies' problem is the obscene prices they charge for the blades.
  • Dori Kigan 2013/08/09 14:01:22
    Dori
    +2
    Looking groomed is the key. I think a very small number of men can pull off facial hair and look clean, groomed and handsome.
  • Kigan Dori 2013/08/10 02:18:20
    Kigan
    +1
    Quite right. Someone I've known most of my life has grown this full beard that, while groomed, still looks awful =\
  • AM 2013/08/09 13:18:04
  • Chere 2013/08/09 12:21:00
    Chere
    chin pubes have always been around.
  • Drug Free 2013/08/09 11:43:45
    Drug Free
    +1
    No hair face look for me thanks.
    Most guys look kind of creepy with hair on their face...or they could be mistaken for Orthadox Jewish men
  • Broken 2013/08/09 11:39:08
    Broken
    I am certainly no hipster, but I recently decided to go razor free for a month or two and see if I like what develops.
  • Dori Broken 2013/08/09 14:04:47
    Dori
    +1
    Question is how do other people like it. Not many would be honest. You'll say, you don't care what other people think but when they're looking at you and thinking "ick", you'd care.
  • Broken Dori 2013/08/14 23:36:51
    Broken
    Of course, I will consider what others think too, but I have to like it first.
  • foxy 2013/08/09 10:13:26
    foxy
    My husband does not shave very day, I said to him , let's go see your mum, he said he had not had a shave, I am used to seeing him with a bit of a beard. I do not want him to grow a full beard though.
  • LittleMissPatriot 2013/08/09 09:50:40
    LittleMissPatriot
    so the Duck Dynasty guys are hipsters now?
  • Baduyo LittleM... 2013/08/09 11:12:49
    Baduyo
    +1
    the real reason: personkind ( note! PC:) is deevolving: soon our arms will lengthen and we will want to swing from trees: for persons future look: check out Planet of Apes movie:
  • LittleM... Baduyo 2013/08/09 13:45:44
    LittleMissPatriot
    You know, the guys on DD are probably smarter and more educated than YOU are.
  • art LittleM... 2013/08/09 18:28:58
    art
    hope so: wouldn't wanna let them have a better edumacation than i dose: i aint got no hair on mt face though
  • William Gill~PWCM~JLA 2013/08/09 09:03:20
    William Gill~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    With the cost of razors today I don't shave as often as I used to. A pack of 15 for $35 is outrageous. Thinking of going back to a straight razor. But they are very expensive to. But at least they will last for years.
  • Mrs. Darth Vader 2013/08/09 08:48:24
    Mrs. Darth Vader
    +1
    Oh my goodness yes. It's like every where I look someone has a beard. Razors are so expensive. It would make sense not to shave your face. Besides I think the hipster beard is pretty good looking, if on the right guy.
  • J v E 2013/08/09 08:24:28
    J v E
    +1
    Yes! and I would love to see more facial hair. Most guys looks unbelievable handsome with facial hair. I can't understand the aversion to it at all... Our parents didn't have this gross aversion to body hair, so why now?
  • Mohit 2013/08/09 07:00:39
    Mohit
    I myself don't shave as often as I used to. Its not the bearded hipsters who are to blame its this recession and the negative energy in most societies. Nothing is progressing smoothly thanks to your illegal president who isn't qualified to run a small business but has become the president of the world thanks to united nations. This recession has turned into a depression. I have never seen people behaving so badly as I have in this great depression. We need a serious change of leadership who is sane and will make the economy and other things function smoothly. Someone like Rick Santorum or Michelle Bachmann.
  • Jake 2013/08/09 05:16:17
    Jake
    +4
    havent noticed

2014/04/25 07:49:46