There Is Much Criticism How Muslim Women Dress, And Why? What About Catholic Nuns.?

strawberry 2011/12/17 06:09:52
THERE IS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST MUSLIM WOMEN.
TRUE, ATTIRE OF CATHOLIC NUNS RARELY MENTIONED.
http://www.sumaiyah.hubpages.com/hub/hijab_vs_habit
"A Catholic Nun and a Muslim Woman: Piety or Oppression?"

We have all seen pictures that represent different belief systems. For this article, bring to your mind a picture of a Muslim woman {Muslimah} in a Khimar, and a Catholic nun, dressed in a habit. There are many stories in the media depicting Islam in a negative light and alleging that women following this faith suffer oppression at the hands of their husbands and other Muslim males. One method of the alleged oppression is the supposed forcing of Muslimaat. The plural of Muslimah, into wearing clothing that is not revealing and which also covers their hair, neck, and ears. This modest dress is called hijab. Yet we can picture two women with diverse belief systems dressed remarkably similarly. the habit worn by many Catholic nuns is also attire which does not reveal the nun's body and covers her hair, neck and ears. Why then is hijab worn by the Muslimah regarded in the West as a sign of oppression, but the habit worn by many Catholic nuns regarded by this same group as a sign of piety and modesty.?

Contrary to what is propagated in the media, the khimar is not forced upon a Muslim woman by her husband or anyone else. Hijab, the modest attire worn by Muslimaat which includes the khimar is a direct command from Allah (swt)'_ as found in the Qur'an-the holy book of Islam.

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity, and not to display their charms (in public) beyond what may {decently} be apparent thereof, hence, let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms, and let them not display {more of} their charms to any but their husbands,..." {Asad, 2005, p. 600}

It is apparent that Western media's reporting only half of the story. They deem the modest dress worn by Muslimaat as an oppression imposed upon women of the Islamic faith by their husband or other male family members. They tout the Catholic nun's choice to wear the habit as a sign of piety and closeness to God. The media depicts Muslim women as possessions of their male counterparts, being allowed only to do what these men allow them to do and nothing more. "It is true that gender inequity oppression of women do occupy Muslim social and political worlds, just as they do in the Western World." (Waheed, 2001) However just as there is cultural oppression in Islam, Catholic nuns are victims of oppression imposed upon them by priests and other males in the religion: "Sister Isabel: Poverty, chastity and obedience. Poverty in the sense that, well, everything you had, you had to ask for. We weren't poor, but we owned very little. On chastity, of course we couldn't marry. And obedience, you did as you were told (emphasis mine). For instance, after I made my final vows, I was told I was going to Portland, Oregon. That was it I went off to Portland Oregon. You did as you were told."

This statement seems pretty oppressive. Sister Isabel did not have a choice to go to Portland. She was told to go and did as she was told. She had no choice. Maslimaat have a choice. They can choose to wear the khimar or not. They can choose to go to Portland or not. Sister Isabel's attire and residence both were dictated by the church. She did not have a choice."

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/12/17 06:27:45 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    The Bible is Very Biased against Women

The Bible says women should cover thier Face like a Burka

1 Corinthians 11:5

And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is just as though her head were shaved.

1 Cor. 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Exodus 21:10 God ordains men taking several wives and even sets up laws as to how multiple wives should be handled.

Leviticus 18:19 Goes onto say that even LOOKING at a menstruating woman is wrong

Leviticus 27:3-7 God places a dollar value on human life; with women worth less than men.

Deuteronomy 22:5 Women that wear men’s clothing are an “abomination unto the Lord.” Mabon

• johnpaul 2012/05/18 16:55:25
    johnpaul
    Dress is cultural for the most part. Anytime anybody puts on clothes out of obedience to someone besides themselves, because they might be punished if they don't. Its a form of oppression.
  • Nat Turner 2012/01/02 14:37:10
    Nat Turner
    This could be a religon thing couldn't it?
  • concerned dude 2011/12/29 19:43:17
    concerned dude
    +1
    There is no real criticism about how nuns dress with habits or muslim women dress with hijabs.
    The criticism comes when anyone will not expose themselves when it puts people in potentially harmful situations and unfortunately since the hijab is an outward sign of a very violent Islamist society it gets questions and concerns.
  • strawberry concern... 2011/12/29 22:31:49
    strawberry
    +1
    Think about the violent Roman Empire, where Roman Catholic Religion derived from with many corrupt Popes, along with the Vatican ruling over Catholic churches whose laws nuns follow.?
  • concern... strawberry 2011/12/30 16:52:38
    concerned dude
    +1
    That is history we are all aware of but in current times the way of life that is threatening the entire world is Islamists and part of that religion/government/societal life is the hijab so it is basically an outward sign of our enemy.
  • strawberry concern... 2011/12/30 23:56:26
    strawberry
    +1
    Islam has been provoked too long by the United States. The U.S. should stop supporting Israel. They are not true allies, just want money handouts from the United States. Israeli government has murdered thousands of Lebanese and Palestinians. Israel is causing problems for the United States. They get involved in U.S. elections. We need a President who will stop catering to Israel. A U.S. President needs to remain on friendly terms with the Mideast or we will have World war III sooner than you think. Both Bush Presidents caused too much war in the Mideast. You should not be so closed minded, do more research. Our own govt. often creates enemies.
  • Annie~P... strawberry 2011/12/31 03:06:28
  • concern... strawberry 2012/01/04 01:01:40
    concerned dude
    These people want to return to the Caliphate. This has nothing to do with the United States or our Presidents.

Besides that, Israel IS our ally and good countries stand with their allies unless they are cowardly politicians who don't honor commitments.
  • Annie~P... strawberry 2011/12/31 03:05:50
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Really strawberry, is that really your comparison lol?
  • Erin Innocent 2011/12/23 19:40:08
    Erin Innocent
    so peeps don't like something about the muslim peeps? BIG WHOOP. keep it to yourself. if there truely IS equality in humanity, then show it. otherwise, its racism/discrimination, and those peeps who are like that can go to hell and burn.
  • bugzfermy 2011/12/18 06:23:50
    bugzfermy
    +1
    it stated in the holy bible that a woman would cover her face and wear a proper dress esp. when entering in the holy place..♥♥♥
  • strawberry bugzfermy 2011/12/29 22:35:50
    strawberry
    The same writings are in the Qur'an, which Islamic women follow.
  • bugzfermy strawberry 2012/02/15 04:23:52
    bugzfermy
    yes that's right .. there the same.. but different when its talks about the prophet
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2011/12/17 10:57:25
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    This might be a good question for SH's resident nun... but from what I know, the attire of a Muslim woman is not optional. You are raised in that family so if you are a girl, they start covering you up at a young age. Nuns however, join convents in their own free will, and take vows of chastity. I'm guessing that the outfit is part of the deal.
  • strawberry Beat Ma... 2011/12/17 21:42:16
    strawberry
    +1
    According to what I researched, Muslims believe words of the Qur'an which is the word of Allah, actually same as Supreme Being, as Christians believe the Bible is the word of God. In the West there is a wrong impression that Muslim males want to keep their wives covered but it is because of laws in the Qur'an. Christians swear to words of the Bible yet they condemn Muslim Qur'an beliefs which is very hypocritical. Nuns are under the thumb and rules of male priests and the Pope. Nuns have less rights than Muslim women. If you read above, Muslim women have more choices than Catholic nuns. "It is true that gender inequity, oppression of women do occupy Muslim social and political worlds, just as they do in the Western World." "However, just as there is cultural oppression in Islam, Catholic nuns are victims of oppression imposed upon them by priests and other males in the religion." Especially in the past not all nuns joined the orders because of devotion to God. In many Catholic families an unmarried daughter with no husband, who could not support herself was expected to join the convent, especially from poor families. Many women in those times had no job skills, could not afford college. You see such a decrease in women joining the convent these days because of modern times, and opportunities.
  • Radical Ed 2011/12/17 07:27:38
    Radical Ed
    +1
    they look pretty much the same to me, just need something to go over the face.
  • strawberry 2011/12/17 06:30:08
    strawberry
    I hear so much of how Muslim women are abused by Muslim men, how they are oppressed. Take a look at all horribly abused women by American men. Muslim women do have more freedom than nuns have, including more choices. Why don't we ever hear how nuns dress so similar to Muslim women.? There are not as many nuns as in the past, but factually not all nuns joined the order because of devotion to God. It was often what their family wanted, especially if their daughter was considered old, not married or skilled. Women had little choices in those generations.
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    The Bible is Very Biased against Women

1 Corinthians 11:5

• strawberry ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/12/17 07:03:13
    strawberry
    We hear so much negativity against Islam, yet their Qur'an is the Christian Bible.
    "The modest attire worn by Muslimaat which includes the khimar is a direct command from Allah as found in the Qur'an-the holy book of Islam." In the West we read about Muslim men forcing Muslim women to cover themselves, yet the real reason is because it is written in their Qur'an. Jews also followed the "Old Testament" concerning a woman's place in the Temple. Women sit apart from the men and are silent.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... strawberry 2011/12/17 07:23:31
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    when sexist men write the holy books and make up all the rules what do you expect?
    mormon islam lol

Ever notice in the bible Torah or Koran they Denounce women
    no women prophets no women messiahs?

Funny in Pagan Religions we have Female Messiahs and Female Prophets
    many Famous women warriors and scribes and important Females
    and our holy books are written by men and women
  • Lady Wh... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/12/17 10:31:26
    +1
    good one!
  • strawberry ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/12/29 23:07:32
    strawberry
    You make very valid points. Americans call Islamic beliefs violent. Take a look at Roman History, a very violent history where Roman Catholic Religion derived from. The Vatican ruled in many cruel corrupt ways, and still does. It is men of the Vatican, Bishops and Popes who rule over Catholic Churches, how nuns must dress and behave. Nuns follow these laws just as women of Islam follow what is written in their Qur'an. You are correct. The Bible, Torah and Koran were written by men, usually to their own satisfaction what to add or delete. None can hold up to complete fact. It is hypocritical to condemn the Qur'an, while praising the Bible or Torah.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... strawberry 2011/12/29 23:10:50
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    Not to mention this

1 Corinthians 11:5

And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is just as though her head were shaved

and I have Seen men like this
    Yule Differance between Need and Want
  • TRUE, ATTIRE OF CATHOLIC NUNS RARELY MENTIONED.
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    Nuns don't have to worry about being murdered if they choose to dress as they please. It isn't Muslim women that should be criticized, it's the Muslim society that persecutes them.
  • strawberry Jerry (... 2011/12/17 07:13:43
    strawberry
    How many American women are beat up by their American husbands.? Christian society also persecutes women. Many nuns of older generations did not choose to become nuns. Some were devoted but many forced by their families, especially if not married and supported by a husband. Americans have held too much hatred for Muslims mainly since what happened on 9/11. Why blame all Muslims for Bin Laden, and the Taliban. Muslims were also tortured and killed by them. Our own U.S. govt. is not exactly innocent either.
  • Jerry (... strawberry 2011/12/17 07:23:59 (edited)
  • I. Car Rus 2011/12/17 06:15:05
    I. Car Rus
    +2
    Aren't there certain Christian religious sects which recommend or even require women to cover their head in public, or more particularly in church? Historically I am pretty certain that Puritan women wore covering over their head whenever they were in public.
  • Jerry (... I. Car Rus 2011/12/17 06:16:45
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    Ah, using the past-tense I see. That is all anybody has got.
  • I. Car Rus Jerry (... 2011/12/17 06:29:12
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    just asking a question. I believe there may still be several sects of Christians where the women still cover their heads. Mennonites, Amish and others. There aren't many where I live now but I used to see them quite often growing up in a neighboring state. I think they still do.
  • Jerry (... I. Car Rus 2011/12/17 06:32:47
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    The Mennonites and Amish around me do not cover their heads, They just were ridiculous bonnets. The men all wear big, giant hats. All of the men dress the same as do the women. No covering of the face at all. I see them almost every day.
  • strawberry Jerry (... 2011/12/17 07:23:15
    strawberry
    Those bonnets are always worn by Amish women which is still head covering. I grew up in N.Y. and saw many Hasidic Jews who always wore special hats and garments in public.
  • Jerry (... strawberry 2011/12/17 07:26:11
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    The men wear big ass hats that cover the freakin world. So what? Also, they are separate from the rest of American society.
  • I. Car Rus Jerry (... 2011/12/17 17:40:12 (edited)
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    I respect their right to live in their traditional mode, whether I agree its the way or not. The 1st Amendment protects that right and who am I to say otherwise? Without it many people wouldn't have a prayer.http://onenationundrgo... 1st amendment
  • Jerry (... I. Car Rus 2011/12/17 06:34:52
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    I had a horrible grammatical error in my last reply that I can't fix. Wear, not were. Jeesh! You can tell I'm tired.
  • strawberry Jerry (... 2011/12/17 07:23:43
    strawberry
    +1
    Happy you joined Jerry.
  • strawberry I. Car Rus 2011/12/17 07:18:59
    strawberry
    You are correct. Amish women cover their heads. There are less nuns today but they still cover their heads. I remember the nuns who wore long black clothing, totally covered from head to foot. More covered than Muslim women.
  • strawberry I. Car Rus 2011/12/17 06:44:48
    strawberry
    There was a time when the Catholic Church required women to cover their heads while inside Catholic Churches. I even remember this in the 1960's. You are correct many Christian sects required women to cover their heads. According to this web site I looked up Muslim women choose to cover themselves.

2014/09/18 11:06:53