The US Has More Tax Preparers Than Cops and Firemen Combined: Is It Time to Simplify the Tax Code?

Daryl 2012/08/15 20:00:00
Related Topics: taxes, Cops, Firemen
Face The Facts USA:Up to 1.2 million tax preparers make a living navigating the labyrinth US tax code for taxpayers. We have more professional tax preparers in the United States than law enforcement officers (765,000) and professional firefighters (310,400) combined.

Watch the video here.

Read More: http://www.facethefactsusa.org/facts/when-tax-comp...

• jimrthy... Marcus ... 2012/08/30 18:10:22
    jimrthy BN-0
    If people want to fund a government, they're welcome to do so. Fund it the same way any other non-profit charity works: by voluntary donations.

The people selling the "fair tax" are doing so in a misleading way. The exclusive vs. inclusive difference is the most obvious. Then you start adding in the "special cases" like prebates for the poor, and it quickly turns into a convoluted mess.

Add in that most experts agree that the proposed amount (which is a lot higher than proponents pretend) simply is not high enough to actually match current government income. (Which already isn't anywhere near high enough to match their spending).

On top of all that, there's absolutely nothing stopping Congress from passing this law then turning around and re-instating all the taxes we currently have.

It sounds like it would be an improvement, but I don't trust the government enough to not use it as a way to make things worse.

As long as we're starting with a broken premise (that it's OK for some of us to steal from everybody else for "the greater good"), all solutions based on that premise will be just as broken.
  • Marcus ... jimrthy... 2012/09/01 02:20:10
    Marcus Clark
    There is nothing misleading about the Fair Tax. The inclusive/exclusive designations are there to distinguish how it compares to our current system.

The prebates are not special cases for the poor. They go to everyone.

Most experts who give the Fair Tax an honest look agree with it.

Mostly though, it just sounds like you'd rather just live in anarchy.
  • jimrthy... Marcus ... 2012/09/20 06:14:17
    jimrthy BN-0
    The entire presentation is *totally* misleading.

I forget the numbers now, so I'm just going to make them up. Which is basically what Fair Tax advocates do anyway.

If someone wants to sell me something and receive $1, with an 8% tax I expect to hand them $1.08. The way the Fair Tax is set up, I have to hand them something like $1.23. It's basic algebra, and my numbers could very well be off. My point is that the inclusive/exclusive thing is *horribly* misleading.

The prebates are *totally* a special case for the poor. If this weren't an issue, they wouldn't exist. I'm (philosophically, at least) OK with this. But it basically just amounts to the introduction of another loophole of the sort the Fair Tax is supposed to be trying to eliminate.

Please cite "Most experts." In general, "Most experts" I run across tend to be idiots like Alan Greenspan and a bunch of other cretins who couldn't understand basic economics (much less morality) if I handed it to them on a plate.

In fact, I *do* live in anarchy. As does everybody else. It's just that most of the rest of you (for some insane reason that I don't understand) prefer to live under the delusion that some other person has the authority to kill or maim you for...well, whatever reason.

We *all* live in anarchy. Every second of every day....

We *all* live in anarchy. Every second of every day. This has been a basic truth of every recorded second of human history. Most of us feel safer with some other human in authority. Don't expect me to follow this model.
  • Marcus ... jimrthy... 2012/09/20 07:24:03
    Marcus Clark
    I see that facts mean nothing to you, so I won't waste my time on you any more.
  • jimrthy... Marcus ... 2012/09/20 19:48:52
    jimrthy BN-0
    Do you have any specific objections to what I wrote? Or are you just conceding that you don't have a leg to stand on here?
  • redhorse29 2012/08/16 06:31:05
    redhorse29
    +5
    Hellllllllllls Belllllllls. It was time to replace our tax code with something simpler and fairer 60 years ago.
  • Denny 2012/08/16 05:48:05
    Denny
    being one of those preparers, another reason to keep the Taxes this way is that Politicians can give the sheepies a little pittance every 4 years Like they really give them something.
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2012/08/16 05:20:09
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +3
    Definitely time to simplify the tax codes!
  • Charles R. Anderson 2012/08/16 05:18:48
    Charles R. Anderson
    +2
    Simplify and flatten the tax rates. The rich and upper income groups are less served by government and its supporting taxes than are the poor, if the government is not operated as a crony mercantilist special interest host. Therefore, there is no argument for a government taxing those with higher incomes at higher rates.
  • schjaz 2012/08/16 05:18:00
    schjaz
    +4
    get rid of it and start over.
  • jeane 2012/08/16 05:09:39
    jeane
    +4
    Why should we have such a complex tax code? What is the point?
  • garyt212 2012/08/16 04:51:31
    garyt212
    +2
    YES!!!!
  • Tee Quake 2012/08/16 04:51:01
    Tee Quake
    +2
    Dah, dah, da-dah!
  • Chelsea 2012/08/16 03:25:02
    Chelsea
    +3
    Absolutely!
  • Jimbo 2012/08/16 03:19:19
    Jimbo
    +3
    flat tax. It would be easy and fair.
    I think only around 50% of the US population pays federal taxes.
    I know 2 people who pay no federal tax and get $5,000 back each year. Last year they went to Hawaii.
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/16 03:14:50
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    NO! It is time to ABOLISH the tax code!

With an income tax, your money is SEIZED!
    With the FairTax, your money is PAID when YOU choose to pay it.

Why bother with forms? Why bother with filing ANYTHING? Let me pay my taxes at the checkout register whenever I choose to buy something! Tax consumption instead of taxing income. If you tax something you get less of it. We have a tax system that taxes you more as you earn more. We punish people for doing what we "say" we want them to do, i.e. be successful. We reward them for making mistakes. We subsidize falure and poverty while punishing success and wealth. Is that what we want?

Let me bring home my entire paycheck. Let me keep what I earn and let me CHOOSE when, where and how much taxes I choose to pay for the government I get. Pass the existing FAIRTAX bill that is in congress. It already has over SIX DOZEN consponsors from both Dems and GOP reps and senators. HR-25 and S-13.
    http://www.fairtax.org/site/P...

fairtax fairtax
  • Adakin ... Adakin ... 2012/08/16 03:17:36
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Here's Obama's GIFT to America... http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
  • Marcus ... Adakin ... 2012/09/01 02:22:53
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    Best comment I've seen in quite a while.
  • freedom 2012/08/16 03:10:31
    freedom
    +2
    Can you come up with a question which will end up with more of a lopsided result? Doubt it.
  • EdVenture 2012/08/16 03:04:49 (edited)
    EdVenture
    75,000 page tax code is an insult to intelligence. Its a giveaway manual for a few. I say 1 page for all. Save the trees. And they say government doesn't create job.
  • wilsonmja 2012/08/16 02:53:55
    wilsonmja
    People are just lazy and stupid. How much more simple could they really be?
  • jwhite193 2012/08/16 02:38:13
  • Action ... jwhite193 2012/08/16 02:41:00
    Action Bastard The II
    +1
    Sadly i think i tapped that once in 06...
  • Action Bastard The II 2012/08/16 02:29:41
    Action Bastard The II
    +3
    I thought it was simple...
  • William Weber 2012/08/16 02:19:12
    William Weber
    +1
    Why can't we get rid of income tax all together? There is just no need for it!
  • Action ... William... 2012/08/16 02:30:40
    Action Bastard The II
    +1
    Are you high?
  • William... Action ... 2012/08/16 02:37:29
  • Action ... William... 2012/08/16 02:39:31
    Action Bastard The II
    Could you double check? Pleas and thank you. Lol
  • William... Action ... 2012/08/16 02:40:03
    William Weber
    +1
    I'm high because I don't think we need to take money people earned away from them?
  • Action ... William... 2012/08/16 02:42:42
    Action Bastard The II
    +1
    Lol yes. That money is what gives us the lifestyle we live.
  • William... Action ... 2012/08/16 02:46:00
    William Weber
    +2
    An inefficient and unfair system. Income tax is an unfair thing. I support the free market.
  • Action ... William... 2012/08/16 02:47:00
    Action Bastard The II
    I like it just the way it is. Lol
  • William... Action ... 2012/08/16 03:01:26
    William Weber
    +1
    You like having the hell taxed out of you? You think it's fair that you have to pay 34% of your income?
  • Action ... William... 2012/08/16 03:04:22
    Action Bastard The II
    Lol i dont pay that much lol.
  • Jimbo Action ... 2012/08/16 03:14:08
    Jimbo
    I do.
  • Adakin ... Jimbo 2012/08/16 03:21:16
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Jimbo, Obama says you don't pay enough... here's what he has in store for you and the rest of us...

http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
  • William... Jimbo 2012/08/16 11:27:15
    William Weber
    +2
    How so? I earn my money, why should it be taken from me? If you want to pay that much you can, but I shouldn't have to.
  • Adakin ... Action ... 2012/08/16 03:19:43
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Action, how would you like to pay whatever you choose?

Take a look at this tax reform that ABOLISHES the Income Tax...
    http://www.fairtax.org/site/P...
  • Jimbo Adakin ... 2012/08/16 03:26:34
    Jimbo
    I don't think the government would go for a fairtax. They like it to be confusing. People who don't have a confusing tax situation either don't make any money or have almost no investments.
  • Adakin ... Jimbo 2012/08/16 11:47:33 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Jim, I agree w/you that the gov't wouldn't like the Fairtax, but as there are over SIX DOZEN bipartisan congressional and senate cosponsors for HR-25/S-13, and the closest alternative tax reform bill has only 8 cosponsors (A "Flat" income tax 'choice' bill, HR-1040), "the Government" the folks in power need to be reminded that WE are the ones that put them where they are. Please support the candidates that support the FairTax.

If your Congresscritter is a cosponsor THANK HIM/HER! If she isn't a cosponsor, support the challenger that IS a supporter of the FairTax!

Thanks, AV

2014/10/31 15:15:41