The tin hat brigade was right?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/06/10 14:56:57
When I first heard of surreptitious EPA flyovers of feed lots in Nebraska and Iowa, I laughed. “Ranks right up there with the black helicopter stories,” I thought. Only people who wear tinfoil hats and cover their windows with Reynolds Wrap® (Trusted Since 1947) to keep the government from scanning their brains would buy into that nonsense.

May I borrow a roll of aluminum foil from someone? I would drop by my local Hy-Vee to purchase some but I’m afraid the feds might get their hands on the supermarket’s scan data and find out what was included in my afternoon purchase of milk, beer and bread. Men in Black 4 might start with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones knocking on my front door.

“Mr. Jolley?” Smith asks. “We’ve just received some information that you bought a quantity of aluminum foil on June 4, 2012, and during a recent flyover, we were unable to see into your kitchen due to some odd reflective material covering your windows. Would you mind telling us what you did with the foil?”

Read More: http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-news/Jolley-Fe...

• Gunner 2012/06/10 21:53:15
    Gunner
    +1
    LOL! Excellent article, thanks. Have you ever thought about writing (or blogging) professionally?
  • ~ The R... Gunner 2012/06/10 23:38:41
    ~ The Rebel ~
    I'm a blogger. Any article I find on the net that I think is of interest I blog on chat sites... *smile*
  • Gunner ~ The R... 2012/06/10 23:50:55
    Gunner
    +1
    Always interesting. Some say I'm a booger. hehheh
  • sockpuppet 2012/06/10 18:20:59
    sockpuppet
    There have been so many kooky theories about government surveillance, I find it hard to take even the more credible ones seriously. Aerial views of private property are available to all aircrafts/satellites. What do these people propose? No EPA fly-overs allowed, anymore?
  • ~ The Rebel ~ 2012/06/10 14:58:40 (edited)
    ~ The Rebel ~
    Hassebrook said, "It was by happenstance that we found out about them. They never told producers they were doing them, but when the EPA started showing up for inspections and had aerial photos of the producers' operations, people started wondering what was going on."

The EPA’s response to the letter was breathtaking in its disingenuousness. The media office of EPA's Region 7, which serves Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri, emailed a note to NPTelegraph.com saying aerial surveillance is nothing new, and shouldn't have been a surprise to feedlot operators.

The EPA response claimed flyovers are a longstanding practice done to verify compliance with environmental laws and impaired watersheds. The sole purpose, according to the EPA, is to help identify water pollution in areas of the utmost concern. A further claim: Congressional offices were briefed before any surveillance took place, as was the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality.

Hassebrook insisted Nebraska Cattlemen was unaware of the practice and expressed a serious concern about privacy.

Defending the practice, EPA officials said the courts “have found similar types of flights to be legal and said they are done to protect people and the environment from violations of the Clean Water Act.”

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/...

2014/10/24 10:31:56