The Public Thinks Laptops Shouldn't Be Allowed in Class Until High School

SodaHead Infographics 2012/08/20 14:00:00
Technology has become an integral part of life in most parts of America, but some people are still concerned about how we introduce it to young people. As kids prepare to head back to school, we were curious to find out how long the public thinks schools should wait before allowing laptops or tablets in the classroom, whether or not cell phones should be allowed in class, and whether textbooks should go digital. We also asked people to name their favorite and least favorite subjects in school, and to weight in on the college question -- does college still better your career? Let's dive.

back to school

• Professor Wizard 2012/08/20 20:31:51
    Professor Wizard
    +6
    I"m old.

When I went to school, we are NOT allowed to have a calculator in math class, because the teacher wanted us to learn the math, not learn to use a calculator.

Now that I am in the real world, I see what he was talking about, because I encounter people every day that can't perform the most basic of math functions without one.

I believe all technology should be avoided until High School, except when it specifically is a tool for the teacher to use teach a skill.

• Zen 2014/06/29 03:40:23
    Zen
    Anyone who deals with the general public on a regular basis has probably noticed the dumbing down of the population over the last few generations: cashiers who can't count change or do basic multiplication without a register and calculator, office workers who can't file documents alphabetically, librarians who have never even heard of the dewey decimal system. There is a growing majority of individuals who can't do simple tasks without technological assistance, not due to a disability or illness, but simply because they've never been taught how.

It frustrates me on a daily basis how I have to correct people on how to do their jobs, so simple things like the price of my groceries are correct, and they offer nothing but a bad attitude. If I could I'd never leave my property, so I didn't have to deal with all the stupid out there. The only way it will ever get better is if people invest the time to learn how to do things for themselves. Learn how to count change, even if you don't plan on being a cashier! Learn where your food comes from, start to finish, and try to produce some of it yourself. Hell, learn how to cook from scratch at least!
  • devon.stearns.lautner 2013/01/02 22:23:07 (edited)
    devon.stearns.lautner
    I prefer the old school stuff.. One person already decided to cheat in class with a smart-phone to tablet or which-ever. The students should not be getting this from the schools, even though they can be used properly and more for those who are hands on with there music, science, computer graphics, etc. If the schools are now starting to support the new technology in the classrooms, the internet should be blocked in actual classroom and can only use the internet for google purposes only and some sites should be blocked because now with facebook being a concern in the classroom they can easily sneak on during the middle of class and just turn off the sound volume and can connect with friends anywhere in the school building then again its also can come from two sides as well. Not only that though computers to new technology should be more given out to when your ready to hit the books to go to college or university for other different purposes as well! I prefer using the calculator, and hand written assignments if you ask me. I never grew up with the purposes of having smart-phone technology in the classroom but that is just me though!
  • VonDruid 2012/12/02 06:34:07
    VonDruid
    Ebooks are much cheaper and would save schools a lot of money. If the computers were used for that alone it would be great. Save trees, save money, and always have up to date info. That being said, there are too many kids out there that believe that Wikipedia is real, set in concrete information. They have no idea how to do research and find real info in libraries or on the web, they need to be taught. The sooner the better. No all the way around on the cell phones, if you've got them, they must be turned off and put away. It's too easy to use them to cheat.
  • Amelia 2012/11/12 01:38:19
    Amelia
    Haha..that's funny. I ddnt get mine till Freshman year of college.( about two months ago)
  • Maize and blue 2012/11/06 20:20:21
    Maize and blue
    interesting
  • Miss Fiona 2012/10/21 04:38:43
    Miss Fiona
    +2
    Middle and elementary schoolers should not use these electronics, except for desktop computers in keyboarding class.
    High schoolers and college students should because of the increased work load.
  • DavidK 2012/10/11 22:40:41
    DavidK
    +2
    Its important to know how to use a computer/laptop, but what good it it if it only gives you the answers and doesn't teach how to calculate the solutions? Ever wonder why American public schools are failing? Schools need to go back to the basics.
  • charles_1 2012/09/25 14:46:31
    charles_1
    +1
    As long as they keep learning math and science on those toys we'll keep importing our engineers, scientists, and doctors. I just want vouchers. Give parents more power to determine which schools their kids go to.
  • ♥N A♥ 2012/09/25 00:47:01
    ♥N A♥
    +2
    Cell phones should not be allowed in schools, only college.
  • Flyingbug ♥N A♥ 2012/10/23 05:39:36
    Flyingbug
    If parents weren't worried about how to contact their children in an emergency (such as a school shooting), not allowing cellphones would not be a problem. Many parents want to be able to contact their children in emergencies.
  • Ahmedin... Flyingbug 2012/10/27 18:07:38
    Ahmedinestein
    Then they can call the school. In most cases, they will have to anyway to get the child released for the day. No school administrator is going to take a kids word for it when they say "Oh, I have to leave. My mom just called about an emergency."
  • Prairie Wind 2012/09/23 04:51:07
    Prairie Wind
    I still have my High School sliderule used for mathematics and Latin crossreference for "romantic languages" composition. Beyond that, the best computers we were taught to utilize continue to be our brains.

Phones were in the Principal or Superindentant's offices. We went to school to learn, it wasn't "day care" and mischief occasionally brought the wrath of the coach's paddle.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/23 03:52:55
    Margaret Jacobson
    Laptops have their place in school as ACCESSORY NOT A "go to" instead of leRning math chemistry etc,, UAE YOUR HEAD NOT A COMPUTER !!
  • Dub 2012/09/22 07:22:06
    Dub
    +1
    Sorry kids, I gotta say no laptops or other electronics in school. They are a distraction, and not a help when you should be paying attention in class. Computers are good for some homework and research after class tho.

Also I was surprised to see math is the least favorite. Its so easy, at least up until algebra 2. Then it gets complicated. English was by far the worst. Trying to write proper sentences and things like that. That was always super hard. Especially when it was, "Here fix this sentence." PE was retarted. If I wanted to exersize I would have done it on my own. i didn't need the school to tell me to. history and science were always interesting facts so they were usually OK. Lunch was necessary because i was hungry, tho I would have rather left early.
  • shadow76 2012/09/22 01:11:06
    shadow76
    +1
    I think we should teach kids how to think and figure out things without technology before teaching technology. So we stop graduating brain dead people whom can't read,write,count, or think.
  • PoliticalSanity 2012/09/18 23:41:27
    PoliticalSanity
    I have to wonder about anyone who is actually undecided at this point. How could they have been paying attention? What criteria will they use to finally decide? Are they qualified to vote? It's a challenge with local elections, because the candidates don't get a lot of media time for lack of funds. A presidential campaign, however, is hard to miss. The debates are a terrible measure of a candidate. It's all rhetoric and theater.
  • Todd Parsons 2012/09/16 13:48:02
    Todd Parsons
    +1
    If they really want to stop this, it is so easy. The technology is out there to create a dead zone at the school... the reason they won't do that is because then the teachers wouldn't be able to use their phones.
  • Yo'Adri... Todd Pa... 2012/09/18 15:41:59
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/09/15 00:33:17
    Jorge Enriquez
    yea Sure...im agree
  • adeenmckenziekennedy 2012/09/14 22:43:14
  • EmoMcParland 2012/09/13 05:09:47
    EmoMcParland
    I work in aviation and IPADs are In every flight station.
  • Tee Quake 2012/09/13 00:33:31
    Tee Quake
    +3
    People need to learn how to think using their brain before they learn to use computers to assist them. I don't know if that means no computers until high school, but I definitely believe kids need to use their own brains first.
  • Red Branch 2012/09/11 16:35:30
    Red Branch
    There are different factors to be considered here. There are times for laptops and times to keep them out of class.

One is the format organization of the class.

Grade level and subject material.

If the power grid ever goes down, we are going to need to function without laptops, computers, etc.
  • Robin 2012/09/06 12:00:41
    Robin
    +2
    College is most certainly important, and all children should strive for higher education.
  • Robin 2012/09/06 11:59:14
    Robin
    No, they shouldn't.
  • darlenedoskas1969 2012/09/01 18:59:02
    darlenedoskas1969
    +2
    what exactly constitutes a "texting emergency"?

Turn the damned phone off when you're in class!!
  • Ahmedin... darlene... 2012/10/27 18:10:06
    Ahmedinestein
    +1
    Sarah just heard from Jamie that Beth broke up with Jason and is now trying to go out with Chad, but he likes her best friend Morgan. - I think THAT is what they mean by "texting emergency." LOL.
  • Sodaheaded 2012/08/30 02:07:55
    Sodaheaded
    I think once you get to 3rd grade you should start learning how to use computers.
  • Nika 2012/08/29 19:32:51
    Nika
    I think ebooks are enough, without the laptops. the books for school are sometimes so heave, it would be so much easier to just have it in digital form.
    And why is maths the least favorite? It's my third favorite! And don't even try calling me a geek.
  • stef 2012/08/26 23:32:04
    stef
    thats cool =)
  • I(◕‿◕✿)I 2012/08/25 23:39:47
    I(◕‿◕✿)I
    +3
    I'm in high school; I have an iPad, a cellphone, a laptop (not for long), and other electronics, but I do not think they should be at school.. They're distracting, and you can use them after school. Life shouldn't revolve around a computer (or cell phone) screen.
  • Yo'Adri... I(◕‿◕✿)I 2012/09/18 15:42:47
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    Thanks...you might be YOUNGER than many of us....but you are a WISE teen..........
    Keep up the good sense.....and the good work!
  • bmxschoolbus 2012/08/25 20:45:31
    bmxschoolbus
    +2
    they should have a class in school called a technology class were they can learn about all these high tech devices other then that keep it old school and let them use the dewy decimal system
  • Yo'Adri... bmxscho... 2012/09/18 15:44:24
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    That might be an option............a class...like when I took "drivers ed." in High school............
    We didn't drive down the halls, but we learned how to operate a vehicle........and got credit for it.! Great idea.! great idea
  • tor 2012/08/24 17:24:27
    tor
    +2
    Technology is improving so fast, that it would be veryy expensive to update computers for every school. I think we should hold off on the laptop use until highschool.
  • Quazimoto 2012/08/24 16:18:40
    Quazimoto
    +2
    Who is going to fund these laptops and replace them when they get lost or stolen?
  • Ahmedin... Quazimoto 2012/10/27 18:10:42
    Ahmedinestein
    You. And me, and all other tax payers. Fun, huh?
  • SilveryRow 2012/08/24 11:33:57
    SilveryRow
    There weren't enough options in the subjects questions - my favourite lesson was Art :)
  • TheEbonyAphrodite 2012/08/23 02:19:35 (edited)
    TheEbonyAphrodite
    +3
    I am in highschool and I think laptops should be used in Highschool.And if laptops are allowed, make sure they can't get FULL internet access,(such as youtube,facebook,tumblr and etc.) so they won't stay off task.

I know it's harsh.....but oh well.
  • L1 2012/08/23 01:23:26
    L1
    That may be the case, but it's really up to the parents.

2014/09/21 12:11:10