The Public Is Growing Weary of Popular Technology

SodaHead Infographics 2012/07/18 16:37:18
Facebook and Apple have been at the top of their respective games for some time now, but what goes up must come down. When we polled the public on the two companies, we found that most people were less than thrilled about the brands' future. Call it tech fatigue, or a simple need for change. Like gravity, the mysterious force of public opinion is making it difficult for popular companies to retain their audience. Facebook has been fighting it for a while, but even Apple could fall if it's not careful to keep up with public interest.

sodahead tech

• Autumn 2012/07/23 19:17:15
    Autumn
    +9
    If the iPad is just a giant version of the iPod Touch.... Wouldn't an iPad Mini just be.... an iPod Touch?

/facepalm

• Dub Lord Em... 2012/09/22 17:52:54
    Dub
    either way, I was too tired to fully know what was going on as well lol.
  • Lord Em... Dub 2012/09/22 19:16:15
    Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bagels Supreme Ruler of the Earth
    Heh
  • twhitin... Autumn 2012/07/30 21:25:22
    twhiting9275
    It really all depends on the size
  • Chris Autumn 2012/08/04 18:42:15
    Chris
    +2
    No of course not, the iPad mini will be an iPod Touch Pro. :P
  • Autumn Chris 2012/08/07 08:31:48
    Autumn
    DUH :D
  • Dub Autumn 2012/09/22 07:27:16
    Dub
    Yes, yes it would. I just wonder why they don't make the iPhone Large. Then it would be an iPad with a phone.
  • Null_Shock 2012/07/23 18:58:42
    Null_Shock
    +4
    I have never been a fan of iPod,iPhones, nor any Mac product...and I always expected a new socialistic networking site to eclipse Facebook, it would fadebquietly into the background like MySpace(I wonder if anyone on my friendslist still uses it...)
  • angel face 2012/07/23 18:49:39
    angel face
    +1
    I think that they are trying so hard to come out with futuristic looking stuff that they arent taking the time to test and test and test again. They need to time instead of forcing everyone to love it.
  • Elisa ✦ Knockout™ 2012/07/23 18:35:53
    Elisa ✦ Knockout™
    +2
    I can't wait to see Facebook deactivated from the internet.
  • vamp-gal 2012/07/23 18:20:17 (edited)
    vamp-gal
    +2
    I'm not overly excited about the iPad mini, the reason I love the iPad is that it is much easier to watch films etc. on the larger screen. Personally I love technology and playing with new devices so I am excited to see what technology will be available to us in the future.
  • EmpathyReigns 2012/07/23 17:57:38
    EmpathyReigns
    +1
    It seem to be getting bornig! Looking for the next new thing! Open mind! think -out of the Box!
  • llshadowz 2012/07/23 17:52:23
    llshadowz
    +4
    "Ipad mini"? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
  • ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +4
    Bad Psychology is pervase. Folks constantly want something new & exciting to be constantly amused.
    Same with the Hubble Space Telescope & the Space Program. Most folks now yawn at the pictures from the HST because it's been up there for 20 years now.
    Folly (& unhealthy) to have constant excitement 24/7/365¼.
  • CuresCancer 2012/07/23 17:40:50
    CuresCancer
    +2
    Long term the spike in brain tumors from phone technology might take the bloom off of them. A brain surgeon in Australia has already seen a doubling of brain tumors in children.

The newer phones are more powerful, and younger people are using them. The skulls of children and teens are thinner than adults, so they will be particularly susceptible..

The combination of more powerful phones and thinner skulls could result in a disaster 10 years from now.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... CuresCa... 2012/07/23 17:47:08
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +2
    Don't forget the other ElectroMagnetic radiation we get from the other Electronica that pervades our Society. Could be a factor in why people go bezerk (Aurora CO).
  • sundance ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/07/23 18:52:49
    sundance
    +2
    So, it wasn't the dozen "five hour energy" drinks, and the triple berry latte mocha (with a double shot), that they had for breakfast, that made them cancel a date with reality? That would have less to do with it, than the "electromagnetic radiation" gleaned from our "electronica"? Well maybe if your sleeping with your head in a running microwave oven, or you have built a "thinking cap" out of old ( but still functioning) cell phones. Blaming "electronica" for the Aurora shooting, is like blaming 9/11 on pilot error.....Just a thought...
  • CuresCa... sundance 2012/07/23 21:27:19
    CuresCancer
    Yes, those things you mention are also destroying lives bit by bit.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... sundance 2012/07/24 00:50:06
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    I should have said "might", it's still conjecture.
    EMI can possibly 'wiggle' particular organic molecules
    that are either in the brain or energy drinks.

Don't count anything out until You're absolutely certain.
    Check out the "God Helmet" &/or "Brainstorm".
  • sundance CuresCa... 2012/07/23 18:38:30
    sundance
    +1
    The only disaster that has anything to do with thin skulls ( wow, that is so deep), and more powerful phones, is the number of people that hit their heads or get ran over while texting. So, what are we worried about here? Thumb tumors? My teen never talks on the damn thing, and neither does anyone else I see. After class, the halls of her school, look like the bumper car ride at a carnival...Just a thought....
  • CuresCa... sundance 2012/07/23 21:26:33
    CuresCancer
    So they are bumping into each other in the halls because they aren't looking where they are going. LOL! Great visual.

Well, all that texting should protect their brains some. Texting while driving doesn't reduce the risk to the brain from using the phone, which they do once the school day is over.

Skull thickness does offer some measure of protection but adults are getting brain tumors at higher rates, too, especially on the side where they listen.
  • BAMCIS CuresCa... 2012/07/24 06:34:21
    BAMCIS
    your ignorance on this subject astounds me, here is a link to the national cancer institute and how they feel about cell phones causing tumors

http://www.cancer.gov/cancert...

in case you are too lazy to read it, since apparently you are also too lazy to actually look stuff up, I will go ahead and quote some things for you

"Studies thus far have not shown a consistent link between cell phone use and cancers of the brain, nerves, or other tissues of the head or neck..."

"...although many studies have examined the potential health effects of non-ionizing radiation from radar, microwave ovens, and other sources, there is currently no consistent evidence that non-ionizing radiation increases cancer risk"

"The only known biological effect of radiofrequency energy is heating. The ability of microwave ovens to heat food is one example of this effect of radiofrequency energy. Radiofrequency exposure from cell phone use does cause heating; however, it is not sufficient to measurably increase body temperature."

"Although there have been some concerns that radiofrequency energy from cell phones held closely to the head may affect the brain and other tissues, to date there is no evidence from studies of cells, animals, or humans that radiofrequency energy can cause cancer."

"It is generally acce...

http://www.cancer.gov/cancert...

"It is generally accepted that damage to DNA is necessary for cancer to develop. However, radiofrequency energy, unlike ionizing radiation, does not cause DNA damage in cells, and it has not been found to cause cancer in animals or to enhance the cancer-causing effects of known chemical carcinogens in animals"

"Brain cancer incidence and mortality (death) rates have changed little in the past decade."

Please also read chapter 6 of that article where it lists all the major reputable organizations for cancer, communications and even the FDA and all of them state that the evidence is inconclusive at best.

Hopefully that will enlighten you on the subject, but more than likely you will just dismiss it all and cling on to some non-sensible argument as to why you have to be right, even though real evidence says otherwise. If you don't do that and actually see it the way it really is then I would be amazed as almost no human has that ability.

That page found in about 5 secs on google
  • CuresCa... BAMCIS 2012/07/28 23:06:05
    CuresCancer
    Do you know what it means when they use the qualifier "consistent?" It means some studies show a relationship and some don't. Now who pays for some of those studies, namely the ones that don't show a relationship? Oh my it's the cell phone industry.

Secondly the notion that DNA damage is a requirement for creating cancer is widely held by 99% of the research community - the same community that is clueless about what cancer is or how to treat it! Part of their cluelessness is the damaged DNA theory. So that throws out that premise.

IOW, although they call themselves experts, they are anything but experts because they don't know what a true cancer cell is. Their focus on DNA is so far off base, they are in another ballpark.

All it takes to produce cancer is to affect the physical structure on one hydrogen atom on a fatty acid. That is not DNA damage, so they are looking in the wrong place. The change in structure blocks oxygen transfer which allows cancer cells to turn themselves on. Cancer cells are normal cells. But they stay dormant unless they are provided an ideal environment.

The overall incidence brain cancer is up despite the short period of time cell phones have been in use. Where it is up mostly is in young adults which makes sense since they had thinner skulls as teens.

T...

Ten years is a short period of time, we are only at the beginning. In recent years the phones have become much more powerful and more teens have them. So we can expect an even higher incidence ten years from now, especially among young adults because those teens will have become adults by then.
  • BAMCIS CuresCa... 2012/07/29 04:15:20
    BAMCIS
    I like how I state facts and cite them with sources meanwhile you blab non-sense and back it with nothing. Please show proof that the cell phone industry backs all the research into the development of brain tumors, please show proof that cancer is what you say it is and not what every cancer researching industry says it is, please show proof that cancer is caused by the change of the physical structure of one hydrogen atom in a fatty acid. I think you lack a basic understanding of what cancer really is and you just hang on to your baseless theories. Show me the evidence, as I have so kindly done for you.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancert...
    http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/...
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.c...

all the industries say cancer is abnormal cells growing abnormally fast. Please tell me what institute(s) back your claim of cells lying dormant til they have an ideal environment.
  • sandra.hemmes 2012/07/23 17:30:47
    sandra.hemmes
    +3
    Just like watching TV, too much noise, loud commercials, yada yada yada. Internet is too much noise. I back off some days, too much noise and too many gizmos, games, yuk.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/07/23 17:20:12
  • Blank B... thє вlu... 2012/07/24 11:14:15
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/07/23 16:48:11
    SOUL4REAL
    +2
    Technology is going to be the cause of destruction to human kind!
  • hat man SOUL4REAL 2012/07/23 17:06:17
    hat man
    +1
    Humanity would never have survived were it not for technology.
  • natalie hat man 2012/07/23 17:14:50
    natalie
    +3
    then how did we survive back when there was absolutely no technology?.
  • Defcon natalie 2012/07/23 17:47:29 (edited)
    Defcon
    +3
    Technology by definition is equipment made by scientific Knowledge
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... natalie 2012/07/23 17:47:58
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +2
    Catch-22
  • hat man natalie 2012/07/23 18:45:43
    hat man
    +1
    Technology is not limited to high tech computers. Every technological advancement has helped man in the race for survival. And this modern generation would never survive without modern technology.
  • gary hat man 2012/07/23 17:47:01
  • hat man gary 2012/07/23 18:47:54
    hat man
    +1
    Which part has you confused?
  • gary gary 2012/07/23 22:43:15
    gary
    why can't they live without it, they did for thousands of years.
  • SOUL4REAL hat man 2012/07/23 18:31:08
    SOUL4REAL
    +2
    Why wouldn't they have survived and survive what? Things were better when technology wasn't around and the chemical plants they are destroying the earth. Globle warming,earth quakes,tsunami,tornados all of these things that are happeneing on earth are related to technology! Sorry, but it's the truth!
  • hat man SOUL4REAL 2012/07/23 18:47:20 (edited)
    hat man
    +1
    That is only modern technology. In anycase this modern world would not be able to survive without the modern technology that you seem to hate. Technology has always been around.
  • SOUL4REAL hat man 2012/07/23 19:01:56
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    How do you know that technology was around back in the 1800's or the 50's? I don't hate anything,this is my opinion and that's yours. We as human beings better hope they don't have a nuclear war! That's technology for you!
  • Null_Shock SOUL4REAL 2012/07/23 19:06:47
    Null_Shock
    +2
    If you pick up a textbook you can see all the different technology man has had through out the centuries...real easy to know what tech was around back then.
  • SOUL4REAL Null_Shock 2012/07/23 22:54:03
    SOUL4REAL
    Thank you! Can you tell me what technology they back in the 20's or 30's?

2014/09/21 02:15:51