The Powerball Jackpot Tops $300 Million: What Would You Buy if You Hit it Big?

For the third time this year, the Powerball jackpot is over $300 million and could completely change the destiny of the lucky winner by a tremendous margin. One fortunate man, Donald Lawson of Lapeer, Michigan, can tell you all about it. He claimed $224.6 million on August 31 — Powerball's biggest cash prize ever.

Thus far, the latest Powerball jackpot hasn't been hit and it's become the fourth largest in the game’s history. Some fortuitous player might be six numbers away from a prize that’s currently worth $325 million, or roughly $212 million in a single cash payout. Powerball’s direct competitor, Mega Millions, is putting up a pot that's much smaller, with an estimated take of $49 million. That’s a $37 million one-time award option. Although if a person won that much money, it's doubtful they'd be complaining.

Powerball charges $2 a ticket, while Mega Millions sells for $1 per ticket. The longer time passes without anyone hitting the bonanza, the more valuable the pool gets. There’s never been a billion dollar lottery take but a time could come when that's the case. For now, expect people to frantically rush to their local store to purchase tickets, as they hope like millions of other Americans that they might get lucky and be able to buy the high priced items of their dreams. We have to ask: What would you buy if you hit it big?

Read More: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Powerball_could_...

• evangelism_vision 2012/11/24 17:58:50
    All of The Above
    evangelism_vision
    +11
    *********************** MY CHOICE WAS NOT THERE ***********************

IF I WON:

I would give 30% to my Church

I would also buy Turkeys for the Homeless shelters to help feed the needy

Pay off my bills and use it for good. Life is short and when you die you can't take it with you. Only what's done for Christ will last and have an Eternal Value

I could go back to Bible College and pay for my Grand Children to go to College

• RavenWing 2012/12/13 14:45:22
    All of The Above
    RavenWing
    My answers not there however I would put the money in to rehabilitating or housing some of the homeless, i.e. start a rehabilitation/intagration house. I would put some into projects that help provide water food clothing and shelter to impoverished places in the world.

Then I would put some into furthering my fiance and I's education, in our fields of interest, put some in to some investments, buy a home for my mother, and my best friend and her beautiful family. I would buy new furniture and clothing, buy a car, and a medium size Victorian house, and travel a little, adopt many wee-ones and invest in their futures, and get a husky.

P.S. -and eventually pay a nurse so my fiance and I can die in our home instead of in some elderly person stable.
  • The Andoxico 2012/12/07 14:48:15
    Yacht
    The Andoxico
    either a big-ass sail boat or a 2012 bugatti vitnesse
  • Kunschner 2012/11/30 23:58:55
    All of The Above
    Kunschner
    I would start up a company in the astronautics industry. As well as some secular philanthropy.
  • Laura 2012/11/29 05:14:47
    Mansion
    Laura
    See that my children and grandchildren are well taken care of.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/11/29 04:10:42
    Mansion
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    Power Ball is at 550 Million!!!
    I would pick a small city and open up a couple dozen small businesses to create 500 jobs...
  • Scrappyang 2012/11/28 13:10:17
    Mansion
    Scrappyang
    I wish you would hve included none of the above. I chose mansion because I would love to have a family compound. Most of it would probably go to helping those who lent me a hand to keep me from becoming homeless when my ex left and before temp alimoney was ordered, my church, and a scholarship fund in my parents name at the college that my mother and I both received our degrees.
  • The Pale Man 2012/11/27 22:08:23
    Mansion
    The Pale Man
    Preferably a large house in the wooded mountains, with a library, and an observatory.
  • sherri 2012/11/26 21:48:16
    All of The Above
    sherri
    +1
    I would not buy all of the above but there wasn't a choice for me. I would buy me 50 to 100 acres with modest home. I would then travel and anonymously help people in need.
  • The Pal... sherri 2012/11/27 22:09:20 (edited)
    The Pale Man
    Ditto. Anonymous Philanthropy would be fun. :)
  • Sandman366 2012/11/26 19:08:48
    All of The Above
    Sandman366
    +1
    Correction: none of the above. (WHERE WAS THAT OPTION?!)

Live how I am now. Never have to work again by living off of the interest on millions of dollars.
  • us 2012/11/26 18:43:32
    Mansion
    us
    If I won 300 million dollars, the government would take taxes, Second I would help people I know and help other that need it.
  • cj 2012/11/26 17:02:15
    Mansion
    cj
    +1
    Depends on how you define Mansion.... but a really nice home in the location of my dreams, for sure.....
  • Stardust 2012/11/26 15:44:53
  • Luke 2012/11/26 11:03:39
    Mansion
    Luke
    +1
    I'd grab some special friends I have and travel all over the world buying villas and houses on the water/beach.
  • Mark 2012/11/26 10:26:22
    All of The Above
    Mark
    +2
    "None of the Above" is my actual answer, but apparently SodaHead isn't intelligent enough to leave that as an option. Obviously, they think that if you don't want a mansion, yacht, or private jet, you don't matter.

Anyway, what would I do with that money? I'd get myself out of debt. I'd have a simple house built, but make sure it had a very nice library, since I already have a lot of books. I'd pay off my family's debts. I'd use some to set up a business (I won't say what, though.) Since, it takes a while before it starts making a profit, I'd wait until then, and then I would donate what I find I don't need, which would be most of that amount. Seriously, who really needs $300 million, or even half of that? Not me.
  • 2789847 2012/11/26 09:11:06
  • Tigerlilycoconut 2012/11/26 08:51:19
    All of The Above
    Tigerlilycoconut
    +2
    Well, actually, NONE of the above (need to add that option!)

While a mansion would be very nice, I'd rather have a simple beach home. A mansion would be too much upkeep. I get sea sick, so a yacht is out the question. I'd rather have a helicopter rather than a jet. easier to land in a small space, better on gas (and better for the environment) and easier to store away.

What I would love to do is open a new Veterans home (have it run by veterans, specifically for veterans). A place where a homeless Veteran can go for a hot meal and a warm shower. I'd also start up my dream cafe on the beach, with outdoor seating for guests with dogs. (I'd have a doggie menu too for the hungry pup that wants a snack) and finally, I'd buy CDs at the bank and gift the rewards to my son when he's older.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/11/26 08:17:35
    All of The Above
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +2
    After paying 62% in taxes and having it reduced 50% for a lump sum distribution, I would use the rest to buy Obama Care insurance for 7 people.
  • Jack 2012/11/26 08:12:08
    Mansion
    Jack
    +1
    Mansion on an island with a helipad.
  • Sophie 2012/11/26 07:25:41
    All of The Above
    Sophie
    +3
    Not really all of the above. I would love to have an animal sanctuary. animal sanctuary
  • Smart ass 2012/11/26 07:21:03
  • mr echo 2012/11/26 06:27:23
    Yacht
    mr echo
    A house for myself ,
    House for my grandma and grandpa
    One more house for someone (all next to the beach)
    Reconnect with my dad in Russia ,help him out if he needs it
    Help my familly in Kyrgyztan ,and bring them here
    Go full time to school
    Make a few inventions of myne come true
  • LissFirefly 2012/11/26 06:21:03
    Mansion
    LissFirefly
    +1
    I would also make sure no one in my family works again. A car or four. Move somewhere warm. I would never buy a jet or a yacht though.
  • Smart ass LissFir... 2012/11/26 07:23:46
    Smart ass
    +1
    screw the jets and yachts I rather just have nice house, dream car that works for me, and keeping low profile and hide from people cuz they will have their hands out
  • Walt 2012/11/26 05:50:54
    All of The Above
    Walt
    +3
    My response is more like "none of the above."

I would buy the surrounding properties and make my nearest neighbors find somewhere else to live.
  • mae 2012/11/26 05:21:22
    All of The Above
    mae
    +2
    None of the above, actually. A mansion is too much space we won't use, and costly to maintain, a yacht is a big bill of expense, and why would I need a private jet?
  • XxAshleyxX 2012/11/26 02:55:45
    Mansion
    XxAshleyxX
    +1
    I'd get a Mansion.
    A Ferrari.
    I'd pre order every Apple product available.
    I'd get every designer piece of clothing/shoes/handbags out there.
    I'd get fine jewelry.
    I'd become a YouTube sensation.
    And my life would be complete. c:
  • Smart ass XxAshleyxX 2012/11/26 07:24:30
    Smart ass
    +1
    what would your youtube videos be about?
  • XxAshleyxX Smart ass 2012/11/26 12:13:59
    XxAshleyxX
    Comedy. ^.^
  • Smart ass XxAshleyxX 2012/11/26 19:49:56
    Smart ass
    +1
    nice I would do smokeshows in my car lol as well as funny jokes
  • MsDianna 2012/11/26 01:58:32
    Mansion
    MsDianna
    mansion with a ranch so I could move all of my sons and daughter-in-laws in with me and my brothers and any of my relatives that need help and stability in their lives.
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/11/26 01:44:29
    Mansion
    Angelic Kitty
    +1
    Would like to get a mansion in Ireland.
  • jere.chievres 2012/11/26 00:24:07 (edited)
    All of The Above
    jere.chievres
    +2
    All of the above move to Switzerland make my extended family well off too.
    Having read some of the answers here I think 90% were blowing smoke, with all the promises to give away large amounts to people they don't even know, the 1st thing is your relatives ALL of them. No charities for me, most of them the money sticks to the CEO's pockets, Churches are much the same. If I don't know a person no sense for them to hit me up.
  • Okie Lady 2012/11/26 00:14:52
    All of The Above
    Okie Lady
    +2
    There needed to be something like...."Not much of anything." as an answer. I voted "all of the above" because I didn't have a choice. Who needs a mansion? I don't even want one. A neat small house would be perfect for me. No yacht; not even a rowboat. Why buy a private jet? I'd fly first class in a commercial airliner. I'd buy a nice, middle of the line, Ford vehicle or 2, because Ford didn't take a loan from the government. I'd give enough money to everyone I love and like to take care of them for life if they're working. I'd give almost all of it to charities. First I'd double tithe (20%) and then give huge sums to help our wounded warriors, military enlistees and families, military hospitals, St. Jude's Hospital and other hospitals, educational institutions I believe in, and so many other things I can't remember them all right now. I'm sure I'd give away 90 percent or more outside my friends and family.
  • jere.ch... Okie Lady 2012/11/26 00:34:29
    jere.chievres
    You would be broke in a month.
  • AmericanVirus 2012/11/25 23:48:18
    Mansion
    AmericanVirus
    And then I would convert that mansion to something more useful

I wouldn't care if I had all the money in the world, I prefer to keep it simple. I may splurge on a brand new computer setup, but I would only hold onto enough of the money to keep myself secure. The rest I would try putting to good use.
  • Smart ass America... 2012/11/26 07:25:59
    Smart ass
    buy a mansion and have family members move in they can have their own section of the mansions
  • America... Smart ass 2012/11/26 12:52:22
    AmericanVirus
    I really am not into the idea of getting a mansion, even if I did and I went with your idea, my family isn't that large, and their jobs keep them separated, so this falls apart.

However, if for whatever reason I had to get a mansion, because apparently Sodahead thinks the only practical thing to do with $300mil is to go big or go home, I was thinking more practical conversion of the mansion, something the public could utilize.
  • Sofahead 2012/11/25 23:45:31
    Mansion
    Sofahead
    +3
    A safe house and body guards
    All of The Above
    +1
    NONE OF THESE. I'd become a very wealthy person as would my extended family and I'd establish an educational foundation Trust for many different avenues of pursuit.

Oh and last night it rolled over again and is NOW at $425+ million. ($285 million net.)

2014/10/02 00:42:18