The phrase, "Love the sinner but hate the sin," is an oxymoron. True or False?

MidnightCowboy 2012/05/28 23:00:48
Related Topics: Sin, True, Love

• LAAD Gunner - USMC 2012/05/29 00:32:52 (edited)
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +6
    When you're a child and your parents ground you for doing something bad or stupid, does it mean that they hate you? NO. They hate the act, yet they still love you. Amazing how that works. It's exactly the same as love the sinner, hate the sin.

• Bozette 2012/05/30 21:59:43
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    Bozette
    You can love someone who does things you hate...just ask any parent, sibling, son, daughter or spouse.
  • mjkowal 2012/05/30 15:14:42
    mjkowal
    It is just a religious person way to to try and nicely justify their bigotry. It really doesn't fool anyone, does it?
  • DizziNY mjkowal 2012/05/31 03:42:12
    DizziNY
    Wow, u have issues.
  • mjkowal DizziNY 2012/05/31 12:31:43
    mjkowal
    Nope, no issues, just tired of people hiding behind God and the Bible and using them as a weapon of hate!
  • beach bum 2012/05/30 04:19:03
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    beach bum
    false
  • LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME 2012/05/30 03:01:10 (edited)
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +2
    Everyone sins, no matter how we define the word. We all make mistakes. For Catholics, the repentant sinner is the most high, for the courage and humility required to recognize and admitting the sin, and for making amends where possible AND accepting punishment by law where that is called for, and most of all for forgiveness. Everyone sins, but not everyone forgives. Rather than focusing on avoidance of sins or sinners, better we should strive for forgiveness as a virtue to be attained. It is sometimes most difficult, humbling and requiring honest self examination. And what does it mean when we say we want to forgive others? It means we want to forgive ourselves...
  • DizziNY LisaWay... 2012/05/30 19:10:26
    DizziNY
    +2
    I can love someone but not love what they do.
  • LisaWay... DizziNY 2012/05/30 19:39:26
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +2
    Yes! Me too. Simply stated, thank you. It's not an oxymoron...
  • DizziNY LisaWay... 2012/05/31 03:43:26
    DizziNY
    +1
    I don't approve of a few things other people do, but I don't not care about them. I have friend's that are gay and I don't approve of their lifestyle, but, they are still my friends.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/05/29 19:08:41
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    If you have ever been a parent, you would most certainly understand!
  • DizziNY FeedFwd... 2012/05/31 03:43:43
    DizziNY
    i am not a parent and I understand.
  • nverumind 2012/05/29 18:52:47
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    nverumind
    +4
    Just because you detest some of the things people do. Doesnt mean in any way that you Hate Them As A Person.
    EX. If your Brother/sister does something that you KNOW is wrong.. does it make you hate them, or does it just mean you hated what they have done?
    I have heard the phrase used as defense for behavior which I considered out of character for the believer using the phrase. This would suggest it is indeed an oxymoron.

To any Christian suggesting that loving the sinner and hating the sin is Christ like, I offer Romans 7....most specifically verse 15 where Paul says "I don’t know what I’m doing, because I don’t do what I want to do. Instead, I do the thing that I hate." and offer to these Christians Christ's admonishment "Judge not that you be not judged."
  • Dagon 2012/05/29 11:47:17
  • Windy 2012/05/29 06:49:53
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    Windy
    +1
    I am not a religious person but this bit of Biblical wisdom is one everyone should take to heart:
    "However, let none of you become as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer OR AS A BUSYBODY IN OTHER PEOPLE'S AFFAIRS." 1Peter 4:15
    And that includes labeling someone as a "sinner".
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/05/29 04:52:11
  • bricklyn 2012/05/29 04:09:16
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    bricklyn
    +1
    This is nothing but hateful rhetoric by the religious to disguise their bigotry.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/05/29 03:10:50
    False. The phrase is not an oxymoron.
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I think it's an accurate assessment of many sins.
  • Gunner 2012/05/29 03:04:47
    True. Because it's impossible to separate an integral part that makes up one...
    Gunner
    It's like folks who say, "I'm against the war, but I spport the troops" - clearly an oxymoron. Troops don't want to hear that people don't support the war. Simple statements like that made by many people harms the troops' morale - which is contrary to supporting them.
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 03:26:57 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    Ask the troops who feel betrayed by being tricked into illegal rich mans' wars (for nothing to do the oath they took) about their morale.
  • Gunner LisaWay... 2012/05/30 11:20:23
    Gunner
    I've never met any troops as you've described - never. Quite to the contrary, I've met
    dozens of wounded warriors at VA hospitals, and to a man and woman their spirits are
    very high and they remain motivated - bless their hearts. Go piss in someone else's
    cheerios!
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 17:34:53 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    Yes, God bless their hearts. Some Vets you never met: IRAQ & AFGHAN. VETS AGAINST WAR: http://www.ivaw.org/War Veterans Throw Their Medals at NATO Summit: http://youtu.be/0QiBmGva95M May 28, 2012 CHICAGO: "Veterans who served in Vietnam and Iraq gathered for an anti- war Memorial Day ceremony..." http://abclocal.go.com/wls/st... May 17, 2012: "..demonstrations have become everyday activities as the city prepares to welcome world leaders this weekend [for] NATO summits.." http://abclocal.go.com/wls/st... W/gov. censorship & ppl NOT listening, our troops are suiciding at @18 per day, more than fr. Vietnam & more even than civilians at large. Bad enough to fully encourage sending them to die for what? & then to pile on by taking away their voices once they return?PLEASE have the GUTS to stand up to a BS policy that is killing our troops for NO good reason: then you will be supporting our troops. Putting global rich man's policy ABOVE the troops you claim to support: THAT is the oxymoron.
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 18:14:14 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    Btw, Gunner, it's you who posted snarky insulting analogy, pissing on this post AND the troops & now me, USING horrors of war & troops to make your self-serving point re a proverb which is NOT oxymoronic. Clearly you've never had any blood in the 'game' you're supporting, so you could at least listen to ALL of them, not just the ones who made it to hospital, not just the ones who make YOU feel warm & fuzzy re wars. MANY ppl you met are in for way worse than you or they know, which we've been witnessing among young veterans, snowballing. Again, get some guts. In life and in war: Don't dish it out if you can't take the blowback. Wrap your mind around this: "Don't support us! (troops) We get sh*t on enough on a daily basis that were used to it. Just continue to spread the gospil and wake up the American people. Fix this foreign policy, this big government scam, this shot of "heroin". We are willing to do our part, (All of my Suckers/Soldiers have vowed to get out and help fight the machine) just keep doing what your doing. SSG, former tool, American martyr. US Army, Active, Infantry, Deployed." ~comment @"Vets at Rolling Thunder..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
  • Gunner LisaWay... 2012/05/30 19:09:36
    Gunner
    Oh, I've spilled blood in the "game" (as you put it) - 21 years, U.S. Marine Corps, and it is NOT a game. You? You're just an angry, spiteful, and unhappy person who will never truly kinow what it feels like to experience comraderie and victory. I really pity people like you. Whiskey3Mike out *squak*
  • DizziNY Gunner 2012/05/30 19:15:19
    DizziNY
    +3
    How is Lisa angry, spiteful an unhappy? You can say you are a Marine, I can say I am Paul McCartney's love child on the net but it doesn't make it true. I am against the war but not the troops, period, deal with it. MOST troops are against this war for oil too. If you were in the military you would know that.
    Also, Lisa is NOT unhappy, spiteful or angry.
  • Gunner DizziNY 2012/05/30 19:20:16
    Gunner
    Read my post again, moron. The vast majority of Marines anyway are NOT against the war. Try asking one if any would even speak to the likes of you. It's clear that you are an angry, spiteful, unhappy person as well - your posts reek of it.
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 19:45:30 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    I read your posts. You never mentioned being a Marine until now. You like to call names & make short sweeping statements, but will answer no valid question about it. You didn't read my post with links, or the comment from the Vet I posted with link. And you don't know the Marines I know, nor my entire family of war Vets, including my mother and father; nor do you know my best neighbor, a Marine munitions expert, nor any of the marines speaking loud and angry about this mess, to which I gave you links. You have your opinion, they have theirs. Obviously you disagree and you are discounting a huge population of your own.
  • DizziNY LisaWay... 2012/05/31 03:48:50 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +1
    He is no Marine. He is a 15 year old kid who still lives in mom's basement XD
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 19:54:26 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    "angry, spiteful, unhappy person" describing yourself to a tee. now try to get your head out of your butt and see there are others around you who DISagree. What do you know of vast majorities? Who do the troops overwhelmingly support, mr. know-it-all? It is not the current warmongers, that's for sure!
  • DizziNY Gunner 2012/05/31 03:50:57 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +1
    LOL, dude, go to Mom and tell her to pay for those anger management classes. You? An animal whisperer? LMAO! Animals run from you. Get a life kid.

As criticism of the Iraq war grows at home, some US soldiers abroad are rejecting Bush's mission. On military bases across Germany, many are now seeking a way out through desertion or early discharge.

Increasingly, soldiers with distinguished records, some a few years from retirement, are seeking discharge or choosing not to re-enlist, forfeiting the opportunity for generous pensions. These career military men and women say neither money nor pride can justify continuing to fight such a war. "I knew when I came back that I couldn't do this anymore. I couldn't be the tool to enforce policy that I thought was fundamentally wrong, if not a little evil," says Sgt. Bob Evers, a 14-year Army and Navy veteran now living in the Bavarian hamlet of Schnackenwerth. "It is absolutely devastating to me to see what we're doing and what we have become."
  • LisaWay... DizziNY 2012/05/31 07:24:51 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    See, now that is how REAL military men talk. Likewise the quote from Army infantry staff SG I quoted above. I was born on naval base & grew up surrounded by military family & ppl. I learned to salute and respect the man before I could walk, and I think I can tell how they talk, and this Gunner dude sounds NOTHING like any of them. If he is real, then I am not sure which is worse-- lying about it, or being real and still ignoring all you've seen... He speaks of "victory" too, but never answered where he served. Now I see profile says LEBANON == NO victory there, omg, not even. That was epic fail of policy; crushing to troops. Even Reagan publicly lamented that. ...We need to gtfo of the Middle East! Respect the troops by abhorring this policy!
  • LisaWay... DizziNY 2012/05/30 19:57:55
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    lol, Dizz @ McCartney's love child-- you could be and not even know it! lol we should all look into that...
  • DizziNY LisaWay... 2012/05/31 03:45:13
    DizziNY
    +1
    XD

aul McCartney

DADDY PAULIE!!!! LOL!
  • LisaWay... DizziNY 2012/05/31 07:14:06
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    LMAO! Good looking Dad you have there...and talented...but Ringo is still the one who gets the good babes. hmmm... lol
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 19:28:45 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    Oh, then My mistake. By your comments, it sounded as if all you did was visit vets in hospital, you never mentioned being one, which I would think you would have in the first place-- why didn't you mention that in the first place?? Anyway, if you have spilled blood, then I would ask you where? And why is it you do not see the error of these wars? What say you to all those Vets who do NOT support these wars? Have you listened to them at all?

What say you about Obama's 10yr extension to 2024 in Afghan?

And how can you speak of morale while ignoring this unprecedented epidemic of troops suicides?

You have no idea who I am and I resent your characterization of me same as you would mine of you. Empathize much? But, You're DARN right I'm ANGRY about this one thing. I know it's NOT a game, that's why I put it in quotes, b/c YOU are speaking as if it's some warm fuzzy game; and those foreign entities which are giving USA her marching orders also treat it like a game. Yes, I'm angry about this bloodletting for NO good reason, and I am NOT alone!
  • DizziNY Gunner 2012/05/30 19:12:10
    DizziNY
    +2
    Supporting the troops is not an oxymoron. What? Do you support Jane Fonda and her vilification of the Vietnam Wars Vets?
  • Gunner DizziNY 2012/05/30 19:15:26
    Gunner
    You sad nitwit. Try reading my post again - you missed something. Jane Fonda is a despicable traitor.
  • LisaWay... Gunner 2012/05/30 19:51:54
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +3
    There's nothing missed where there's nothing there. Empty attack words. Camaraderie? while dismissing your own comrades in arms? Indeed you are full of oxymorons.
  • Boblawbla LisaWay... 2012/05/30 21:46:36
  • LisaWay... Boblawbla 2012/05/30 22:19:36
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +1
    aw, ty. I'm saving that one for my son. :-)

2014/09/23 20:33:15