The media has tagged 18 to 34 year olds "The C Generation." "C" as in the word "connected." Are they actually the "OUT-OF-TOUCH Gen," LESS-connected with reality, lost in their computer gaming, virtual imagery and online pre-occupations?

tncdel 2012/02/25 01:47:39

• Classical Liberal 2012/02/25 02:05:23
    NO, they are well connected with reality [tell us why you think so].
    Classical Liberal
    +3

You asked for it with the inanity of this question. Of course we have some loonies and losers who are out of touch with reality. But middle-aged socialists are just as out of touch with reality, and so is anyone who seriously believes Santorum or Gingrich will touch the debt problem as President, much less beat Obama. And they don't get much support from "The C Generation".

• Live Free Or Die 2012/02/26 02:59:24
    YES, they are more out-of-touch with reality than past generations [explain w...
    Live Free Or Die
    Sodahead played a trick on me. I'm sure I clicked "NO".

Admittedly, there are many more distractions than when I was a child and a lot less free space to roam around in, but this assumes every parent allows their kids to do it. It's more work than it used to be, but well worth the effort.
    I have to agree with the OUT Of TOUCH with Reality ..
    With so much E-Connectivity .. with the Gaming and push buttons .. with the Texting and other oddities .. (including the reliance of whiz-bang CGI .. and not on real dialogue, story lines, plots .. of developing talent or characters .. it is far more /flat/ .. than any thing before .. )

I can state easily ..

That they spend FAR LESS TIME COMMUNICATING .. than any generation before this time .. (it is not face-to-face .. actual talking through things .. it is bytes .. bits .. little snippets that are not going to do any thing that keeps people in the REAL WORLD .. respectfully talking and interacting with each other .. )

I've seen things go from typewriters .. to dumb terminals .. from punch cards to wiki user-generated content too. From writing letters .. to computers and programs .. so impersonal .. etiquette becomes lost .. to form times that are far more rude ..

I'd rather see .. real interactions, caring and kindness at every turn. Going out to the light and enjoying the outdoors, playing .. getting dirty too. With everything now so .. complicated .. I can see the need to have good scheduling ..

(and I can definitely state that my own vision impairment now .. I do enjoy the benefits of tech improvements .. )...

I can state easily ..

(and I can definitely state that my own vision impairment now .. I do enjoy the benefits of tech improvements .. ) ..

But you can NOT Raise a childhood via pushing buttons, you can't teach them how to be caring adults by texting that info along (how will they learn respect if you can't show them respect in person via your actions?). NO push button will change a diaper .. feed a baby .. burp the child .. nor will it care for your elder either ..

Enjoy the tech .. but also live in the REAL WORLD and get outside too.
  • Metaldane 2012/02/25 03:16:04
    Metaldane
    +2
    My generation are some the most connected virtually and that connection helps us stay in touch with what's happening around us in the rest of the world unlike older generations which mostly stick to the older methods.
  • Ken 2012/02/25 03:00:59 (edited)
    +1
    You can't expect our youth, as a total, to sit around for 16-18 years playing electronic games and amount to anything.
  • Classical Liberal 2012/02/25 02:05:23
    Classical Liberal
    +3

• tncdel Classic... 2012/02/25 02:16:11
    tncdel
    But Romney can beat Obama. And, with continued speculation about an alliance with Ron Paul, he could pick up the added voting clout of Ron Paul supporters, which would definitely shift the balance in Romney's favor. See:

A Romney-Paul pairing would also be our nation's only real hope of overcoming the debt problem. Romney is the ONLY presidential candidate with actual "hands-on" business experience at turning around failing companies. So he'd be the best candidate to turn around our failing economy. See:
  • Classic... tncdel 2012/02/25 03:18:32
    Classical Liberal
    Notice that I didn't mention Romney. I think Romney would at least bring us closer to a balanced budget and could definitely campaign on equal grounds with Obama.

Still, he has unreconcilable positions, I can't bring myself to vote for him.
  • Kirino 2012/02/25 02:01:05 (edited)

2014/10/21 11:56:16