The Green Lantern Is Gay: Cute or Controversial?

DC Comics has been promising to reveal that one of its more popular superheroes is gay, and they finally made the announcement: It's the Green Lantern. Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, is being reintroduced as a homosexual character in the second issue of the "Earth 2" series, part of a recent project designed to revive classic characters called "New 52."

Writer James Robinson explained, "[Scott's] still the same dynamic, heroic guy he was. He's still the head of a media empire like he was in his prior version, but of course with the form of media changing and evolving with the times. And in many ways, his origin mirrors the original one also. Alan’s sexuality is just one facet of him, along with his innate goodness, valor, charisma and skill at leadership that makes him the perfect man to wield the power of the green light in the world of Earth 2." So what do you think? Is the Green Lantern being gay a cute idea, or too controversial?

• carlton999 2012/06/02 04:40:40
    Controversial
    carlton999
    +15
    Alan Scott has been straight and married since his introduction in what, the 30's and 40's. And now they make him Gay! If DC wants a gay character introduce someone new and dont fool with someone with that much History.

All they are trying to do any way is keep up with Marvel and their gay characters getting married.

• cuz chuck 2012/06/06 00:04:30
    cuz
    +1
    What is really sad is the danger it promotes.

MEDICAL CONSEQUENCES OF WHAT HOMOSEXUALS DO
    http://www.biblebelievers.com...
  • Earthling cuz 2012/06/06 04:00:30
    Earthling
    +1
    Anything found on a website called "bible believers" is bound to be irrelevant to any thinking person.
  • cuz Earthling 2012/06/06 04:08:29
    cuz
    +1
    Anyone claiming that a homosexual lifestyle is safe is grasping for justification.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 07:30:01 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Funny enough, I know straight people who do those things, too; especially the sadomasochism.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 07:30:56
    cuz
    +1
    And that makes it safe?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 07:49:59
    GLaDOS
    No, it just proves that they aren't strictly homosexual acts. Personally, I don't see the issue with sadomasochism. Not all people swallow, heck, not all people take the stuff into their mouths, then there's dental dams, if they're smart. About one in three heterosexual people have had anal sex, and about 80-90% have had oral sex, meaning about one in ten haven't.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 07:55:06
    cuz
    +1
    I don't deny that and I don't think the article implies that any of those acts are reserved for homosexuals. The problem is homosexuals don't have any other options making that lifestyle far more dangerous. Or do you disagree with the statistics?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 08:02:31
    GLaDOS
    Well, as I said, if they're smart about it, and use condoms (flavored or otherwise), dental dams, and whatnot, I don't see much wrong with it either way.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 08:13:55
    cuz
    +1
    Well, if the links in the article are correct, then it appears many of them aren't smart enough about it. The same can be said for straights that play around also. What is described as immorality can have serious built-in consequences. It's not all about just being religious.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 08:20:10
    GLaDOS
    Well, if they're not smart about it, they deserve what they get, gay or straight.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 08:40:50
    cuz
    Precautions are smart but are no guarantee.

Even if they're not smart about it I'm not hoping someone suffers these consequences. Things have a way of spreading to others that aren't even involved in the acts. No telling how many people have been infected by a cheating partner.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 08:49:03
    GLaDOS
    That's what they get for picking a person who cheats. They should've been a better judge of character.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 16:10:18
    cuz
    I can't argue that point. Where does a person go to learn of character if they have never been taught though? We hardly get the right example from the media.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 16:36:31
    GLaDOS
    You learn through trial and error, and just hope that the errors don't kill you.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 16:39:45
    cuz
    Yes, that's one way.
    How about paying attention to the moral laws that so many kick about?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 16:46:55
    GLaDOS
    Moral laws? Universal or subjective ones?
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 17:17:09
    cuz
    It looks to me like some subjective ones are universal but they have been corrupted and made to look like a form of slavery. Perhaps they are in a way but if it's for the good of the species is that wrong? There must be some reason for laws.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 17:23:35
    GLaDOS
    +1

Which ones are missing that are shared across all cultures?
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 17:34:10
    cuz
    +1
    Those are good and I certainly don't have a problem with them If we are talking about the success of the species then I believe it should include others as well.

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 18:23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 18:08:59
    GLaDOS
    Those aren't universal, though. As for success, as a species, given that the human population is approximately 6 billion? I'm actually hoping for a really good Ice Age to kickstart a bit of evolution, and do away with some of the people, because we've been far too "successful" as a species.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 18:43:17
    cuz
    If those aren't universal then how would the species be propagated?

lol.....well, are you considering being one of the first to be done away with?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 18:50:12
    GLaDOS
    By the majority who are into the opposite sex?

Nah, I'm too cunning and ingenious. Let the weak, stupid, and vegans die off.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 19:13:58
    cuz
    Off subject some but if Fukushima gets much worse you won't have to hope for an ice age.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 19:31:42
    GLaDOS
    Don't excite me, now!
  • diarslade GLaDOS 2012/06/06 19:34:15
    diarslade
    <3. There, now joo is excited.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 19:39:07
    cuz
    Well, if it happens it would be the whole northern hemisphere that is affected. So you'd better be ready to move.

Referring to your earlier statement about the weak and the stupid. If the article that I posted is correct then it would mean that the people that engage in those practices would fit into that category wouldn't it?
    Am I mistaken thinking that you are defending the very same people?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 19:46:17
    GLaDOS
    Like I said, if they don't practice caution, they deserve what they get, straight or gay. I make no exceptions for any special cases.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 20:03:50
    cuz
    So your saying that you support dangerous activities if I'm hearing you correctly; regardless of how it might impact the rest of society health wise. It's not only them that 'get' what they deserve.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 20:11:33
    GLaDOS
    I don't see how it impacts the rest of society. Them getting hep, or something doesn't affect me unless I have sex with one of them, or my partner does, and he won't.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 20:22:30 (edited)
    cuz
    This was in the article.

Homosexuals rode into the dawn of sexual freedom and returned with a plague that gives every indication of destroying most of them. Those who treat AIDS patients are at great risk, not only from HIV infection, which as of 1992 involved over 100 health care workers,21 but also from TB and new strains of other diseases.24 Those who are housed with AIDS patients are also at risk.24 Dr. Max Essex, chair of the Harvard AIDS Institute, warned congress in 1992 that "AIDS has already led to other kinds of dangerous epidemics...If AIDS is not eliminated, other new lethal microbes will emerge, and neither safe sex nor drug free practices will prevent them."28 At least 8, and perhaps as many as 30 29 patients had been infected with HIV by health care workers as of 1992.

edit to add: I'm talking about the homosexual lifestyle. I'm not trying to make this about you. If you have scruples and are monogamous so much the better.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 20:45:22
    GLaDOS
    The people who choose to treat it know the risks that they are accepting.

AIDS was, also, not a purely homosexual disease. It came to humans at some point, out of Africa, most likely, because of shared traits to SIV.

If you're basically talking about promiscuity, then homosexuals hardly have a monopoly in that market.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 22:03:05
    cuz
    Yes, I am talking about homosexuality.
    Of course they don't have a monopoly on promiscuity. But the lifestyle is showing to be the most dangerous to society because it is the primary vehicle of the different diseases.
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 22:25:43
    GLaDOS
    Humanity is a vehicle for disease, and promiscuity is a dangerous lifestyle. Two, healthy, people, no matter what sex, who only have sex with each other, aren't going to make each other sick, except for environmental diseases, such as the cold.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 23:15:56
    cuz
    I see. So the article that I posted is irrelevant then, right?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/06 23:21:31
    GLaDOS
    I didn't see anything in it that was more recent than the early 90's, so I don't see how it couldn't be attributed to either straight, or gay people. We don't have different body chemistry, we all get the same diseases, and they mutate the same, whether it's in a gay man, or a straight woman.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/06 23:35:41
    cuz
    Mmm hmm....it's a proven fact that heterosexual people contract aids as often as homosexuals then. Is that what you're saying?
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/07 00:26:06 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Well, given the statistics that come in, yeah. In 2009, it was estimated that homosexuals were about 53% of new AIDS diagnoses, that includes those who use injection drugs. The rest? All heterosexuals. About half of those diagnosed were also black people. Maybe we should be talking about black people having sex promiscuously?

And I'm pretty sure that's only in the U.S. We could start including the rest of the world, which gets really seedy around Africa, since they have an epidemic, and they don't likely have that many gay men.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/07 00:43:42
    cuz
    Shoot, maybe we should be talking about promiscuity period.

You got me curious and I did some searching.

About 2.3 million people in North America and Western and Central Europe were living with HIV in 2009. Access to treatment has helped the numbers of AIDS-related deaths in this region stay low compared to those in other parts of the world. Still, the United States has one of the largest HIV epidemics in the world, and certain populations are more affected. HIV is the third leading cause of death among African-American women ages 35-44 in the United States, and the fourth leading cause of death among African-American women ages 25-34. In 2009, the rate of HIV diagnosis in African-American women was 20 times higher than in white females. In Western and Central Europe, the number of new HIV diagnoses has climbed, especially in men who have sex with men. In 23 European countries, the new cases of HIV in men who have sex with men rose 86 percent between 2000 and 2006.
    http://www.womenshealth.gov/h...
  • GLaDOS cuz 2012/06/07 00:50:19 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Promiscuity is bad, especially when coupled with irresponsibility.
  • cuz GLaDOS 2012/06/07 00:51:42
    cuz
    +1
    We certainly agree on that.

2014/09/01 11:21:07