Texting Man Almost Collides With Bear: Are You Less Likely to Text While Walking Given This Incident?

Be careful when texting while walking. You might tumble off a pier, fall into a mall fountain, or plunge down an open manhole. Or, you may even come face to face with a bear. (All true stories!)

The most recent incident involved a man named Vaz Terdandenyan and a black bear wandering through a neighborhood in La Crescenta, CA. The encounter was filmed by the KTLA Sky 5 helicopter and was reported live. The local news anchors were narrating the bear’s every move and were shocked to see Terdandenyan walk straight toward the beast. Fortunately, he finished texting before actually colliding with the bear and was able to escape unscathed.

As Neetzan Zimmerman wrote for Gawker, "Luckily, the man managed to look up from his LOLs and JKs and emojicons just in time to OMG and run away."

Because Terdandenyan wasn’t harmed, it is easy to laugh at the incident. (We admit the story is pretty ridiculous.) But not all walking-while-texting fails end so happily. Perhaps we should be more willing to take these cautionary tales to heart.

What about you SodaHeads? Given this incident, are you less likely to text while walking?

Read More: http://theweek.com/article/index/226702/6-embarras...

• Allan Hopkins 2013/05/28 01:14:59
    Allan Hopkins
    I don't text and I look where I'm going when I'm walking. I like having a big bubble of space around and I would have seen the bear coming on to road and I wouldn't taken another step
  • Boo 2012/04/20 19:27:15
    Boo
    I'm just less likely to text period! It is a slow and inefficient means of communication. If you just CALL the person, you can watch what you're doing while talking. Those who text and walk are a lot more likely to fall into an open manhole or something like that also.
  • Mamaknows 2012/04/19 17:22:53
    Mamaknows
    +1
    I do NOT text while driving or walking or biking or whatever!

I have seen people that have....and it did not end well. I was at the mall with a friend and saw a woman texting and walking on the second floor ....she stepped down the stairs with out intenting too. At first it was kinda funny(I am not going to lie) seeing a 15-17ish skinny girl in a micro mini and heels with shades & slouch bag, looking all dolled up and fashionable, rolling down the flight of stairs....but then she did not move for a min. She came to crying, in pain (it looked like a concussion and broken collar bone(the paramedics were loud!) To top it off they caught it all on security tape so she could not sue the mall....

Then there are a BUNCH of car accidents from texting and driving where I am at. One woman was texting and driving it a big truck(she is fine just in jail) hit a small economy car(she got trapped inside and burned to death in front of everyone). The texting gal heard the screams and was right there but still maintains "It was a fluke an accident and NOT MY FAULT!"

Heck I have even seen mom's texting while watching their kids at the park.....they never see their kids fall of the top plat form and we always have to go find them so they can help their child to the ER...one last week was sitt...

Heck I have even seen mom's texting while watching their kids at the park.....they never see their kids fall of the top plat form and we always have to go find them so they can help their child to the ER...one last week was sitting on the picnic bench texting while her two year old(ish maybe younger) wandered away (we are talking a LONG way to the other side of the parking area) to were I was unloading my kids bikes and picnic. I turn around because my daughter (3 yo) "Baby in road mama!" I look around and there is a baby IN the road....toddling and no adult!
    I told her to come out of the roadway and she walked up to my car and ....I was HORRIFIED. We walked her around the park till I saw the "mother" with her droid in her hand at the picnic area(from the time the baby girl was in the road to th time we walked up on her mother was at LEAST 45min(big park with no fence) so the little girl had to have taken longer to walk all that way and her mom did not even NOTICE she was GONE!

That is just PATHETIC.......poor baby girl.
  • Boo Mamaknows 2012/04/20 19:28:56
    Boo
    +1
    She shouldn't be able to sue the mall for her own stupidity!
  • Mamaknows Boo 2012/04/20 20:27:23
    Mamaknows
    +1
    No but people can be pretty sue happy...
  • Boo Mamaknows 2012/04/23 15:44:14
    Boo
    +1
    You don't have to tell me. I work for attorneys!
  • Chaya2010 2012/04/18 23:23:32
    Chaya2010
    +1
    I don't text whilst walking or driving.
  • Pearl 2012/04/17 14:30:13
    Pearl
    I have no idea
  • Utall 2012/04/17 12:14:24
    Utall
    stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

annoying lady
  • Utall Utall 2012/04/17 12:21:58
    Utall
    the children in the bible were texting and still got mauled to death

2 kings
    2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
  • grimlin 2012/04/17 10:56:05
    grimlin
    I dont have a cell phone XD XD XD XD XD
  • Lady Serena 2012/04/17 07:04:34
    Lady Serena
    +3
    I wouldn't be able to do it anyway, i'm clumsy as hell. With my luck, i'd walk straight into a pole or something lol
  • Kigan 2012/04/17 01:34:50
    Kigan
    +1
    Why would an extraordinary incident change my habits in an ordinary situation?
  • 001 2012/04/16 18:45:54
    001
    I don't think a bizzare incident like this will change my texting behaviour, no. That's like always watching the sky because you heard about this person that got hit by a meteorite and died.

When I text while walking, I always look in front of me more than I look at my phone anyway.
  • Maverick Capitalist 2012/04/16 18:21:29
    Maverick Capitalist
    +2
    Like the bear, I don't text.
  • FatherLiberty 2012/04/16 16:00:44
    FatherLiberty
    This was not even worth my time. There is no story here.
  • Peon of the Masses 2012/04/16 15:31:18
    Peon of the Masses
    +1
    I do not believe there is way to for me to be able to text less, since I already text least.
  • Callaway 2012/04/16 15:29:51
    Callaway
    Gee now the knee jerk Cali legislature will have to rush a bill through to prohibit texting while walking with wildlife is within 100 feet.
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2012/04/16 15:07:13
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +1
    This is silly. For starters, nothing even happened. He ALMOST collided with a bear, but he didn't, so it's pretty much a non-story. Secondly, this is a one-off situation that is incredibly unlikely to happen again anywhere in the near future. If this makes you think twice, then you're probably the type who supports the TSA.
  • pottercrazy1436 2012/04/16 14:59:22
    pottercrazy1436
    +3
    It is not likely for me to be texting away and encounter a bear. I feel like if I would encounter a bear, texting or not I am still pretty screwed.
  • Lonna121593 2012/04/16 14:42:39
    Lonna121593
    +1
    I cant txt while i walk lol i only read while i walk. :)
  • Gloria 2012/04/16 13:24:27
    Gloria
    +3
    I don't text much & neither do bears.
  • GoodEncounter 2012/04/16 13:03:52
    GoodEncounter
    +1
    I'm such a clutz I have trouble walking and talking without running into something or tripping over something-so it would be super challenging for me to text and walk. But let's be real-how many places are you going to run into a BEAR? And if this story teaches people nothing else, it should remind texters to pay attention to what they're doing while they're texting and walking.
  • RoyJLores 2012/04/16 11:53:46
    RoyJLores
    i don't own a mobile so I don't have that problem LOL.
  • Stoney 2012/04/16 11:21:13
    Stoney
    +1
    I virtually Never Text and when I do ......I am stationary and not moving......whether driving or walking: to do otherwise is dangerous for several reasons!
  • 10sgirl 2012/04/16 11:05:06
    10sgirl
    +2
    No but I would be one to like fall in an open manhole or off a cliff knowing me. Also, that guys reaction was great
  • Reach130 2012/04/16 10:33:36
    Reach130
    +1
    I don't text while walking...
  • Get Bashed 2012/04/16 08:45:28
    Get Bashed
    +1
    I don't text because I don't keep a phone. I live out in the bush where there is no signal, but I do respect the local wildlife and have been close to them several times.
  • Jennifer Cat 2012/04/16 08:43:41
    Jennifer Cat
    +1
    He looks fluffy and cute.
  • Peon of... Jennife... 2012/04/16 15:43:30
    Peon of the Masses
    +1
    Yes, but they out run and out climb men and horses on their proper turf, so you have to stay off the grass if they are chasing you in town and make them run on the hard street or sidewalk, where their 4 inch non retractable claws will be injured, and may discourage them, if they don't catch you quick enough. Bears eat everything and anything from tree bark and leaves to maggots and carrion,and people's garbage and food, and any sort of living thing they can catch when they are hungry. They are also territorial and very protective of their young, whom they often lead around to forage and hunt. Grizzley Adams was killed by his bear.
  • Mamaknows Peon of... 2012/04/19 17:29:20
    Mamaknows
    Grizzly Adams and his d a gf were in bear terf and ran into a starving griz...in a way I think he was wanting to get eaten because they were also there at the wrong time of year if I remember...an idiot all around. LOL
    But yes any bear can be wild....
  • Wolverineland 2012/04/16 08:18:47
    Wolverineland
    +3
    I never text while driving or walking.
  • HotPuhtaytuhs 2012/04/16 07:37:51
    HotPuhtaytuhs
    But it didn't happen to me. If it did it might change
    Y opinion
  • BoomLover 2012/04/16 06:03:51
    BoomLover
    +1
    It's best to text while standing still, or sitting down...never while driving, or walking. I saw a girl driving in the fast lane looking down texting at 60 miles per hour....I slowed down and stayed far away from that accident waiting to happen....
  • Mamaknows BoomLover 2012/04/19 17:30:41
    Mamaknows
    +1
    I have seen MANY near misses like that and a few serious accidents....people think it can not happen to them.
  • Corsair Mamaknows 2012/04/19 19:12:32
    Corsair
    +1
    What really annoys me is when people start feeding the bears. No wild animal should be fed unless it's held in captivity in sanctuaries for health reasons. But here they are, "oh look honey, take a picture while I feed the bear."
    *Smack Swipe Crunch* Oh look, there goes his head, clean off his neck. There's a Kodiak...I mean, Kodak moment.
  • Mamaknows Corsair 2012/04/19 19:16:08
    Mamaknows
    You bet. The bears even get trained unintentionally to think food when they see houses because people leave out trash.
    Then wonder what happen to their cats....LOL
  • Corsair Mamaknows 2012/04/19 19:25:20
    Corsair
    +1
    There's actually a statistic that reads you're more likely to get attacked by a moose or a deer, than a bear. I also read it in a museum once too. I went to this nice area in the Rocky Mountains and saw some goats, and people taking pictures beside them, and a sign that says "do not approach the animals." Not cool. A cousin of mine in India kept goats. those things get angry when provoked. It knocked the wind out of one of his friends one time.
  • Mamaknows Corsair 2012/04/19 19:27:50
    Mamaknows
    Oh yeah I was raised around domestic sheep and goats ...it can REALLY hurt.
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2012/04/16 05:54:13
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    I don't text while I walk.

2014/12/20 05:53:29