Teen Wrestler Refuses to Compete Against Girl: Should Girls Even Be Wrestling?

When we first heard that an Iowa high school wrestler refused to compete against a girl at the state tournament on Thursday, we thought it was a sexist decision.

But then we read his explanation.

Joel Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore, says he gave up his chance of becoming state champion because of his religious beliefs.

"As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa," he said in a news release.

Northrup's father, Jamie Northrup, is a minister in an independent Pentecostal church that believes young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," Bill Randles, the church's pastor, told The Associated Press.

"We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. Body slamming and takedowns, that full contact sport is not how to do that."

As a result, freshman Cassy Herkelman and sophomore Megan Black became the first two girls to make the state wrestling tournament in its 85-year history.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," said Northrup, further explaining his decision.

Black said Northrup refused to wrestle her three years ago, and she admires him for sticking to his convictions.

"If it's his religion and he's strong in his religion, then I just respect that," she told the AP.

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/17/sports/m...

• Jake M 2011/02/18 16:50:25
    Jake M
    +29
    So, if wrestling with girls is "touching them in a familiar way" than isn't wrestling with guys "touching them in a familiar way", wouldn't that be an even bigger no-no for a Pentecostal?

• rugrat1411 Jake M 2012/04/18 21:25:43
    rugrat1411
    I'm not talking about color, men playing against men and women against women is my point. Why make this a color issue?
  • mindfre... rugrat1411 2011/02/18 17:55:14
    mindfreakloyal1
    We wouldn't have to force ourselves if they weren't so uptight about it.
  • "Silence! I kill you!" 2011/02/18 16:30:59
    "Silence! I kill you!"
    +5
    Women wrestling men. The men would lose no matter what. If he won well other men are going to pick on him for beating up a woman. If he loses he will be picked on for losing to a woman. It would also be bad because some woman would say a man touched her breast or butt during a match.
  • Lily Blooms Eternal 2011/02/18 16:27:40
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +2
    The whole sport of wrestling is starting to seem creepily kinky to me. I mean look at all the photos of high school wrestling matches that end up on Tonight Show Headlines.
  • earl 2011/02/18 16:24:14
    earl
    +5
    Women and men should not wrestle each other once past middle school age.
    Body types are to different and it can create a distracting uncomfortable situation for both genders.
    Same reason boys can't play on girls soccer teams or basketball teams. Different body make ups, un -level playing field, dangerous.
  • "Silenc... earl 2011/02/18 16:34:39
    "Silence! I kill you!"
    That is so true. If a teen male is wrestling a teen female he is going to try to grap her breast. Then the girls parents are going to sue the school.
  • mindfre... "Silenc... 2011/02/18 17:45:44
    mindfreakloyal1
    +1
    Or the girl could retaliate and punch him in the nuts. That's what I'd do.
  • earl mindfre... 2011/02/18 20:48:22
    earl
    Yes, but you are use to having nuts on you.
  • Nuala a.k.a BlueRaven 2011/02/18 16:23:15
    Nuala a.k.a BlueRaven
    +2
    it is kinda sexist, that women should not be wrestling with men..what cuz their week or something? Was he afraid of getting a hard on in public?
  • earl Nuala a... 2011/02/18 16:27:34
    earl
    +2
    I don't believe it was just religious, I think he was more afraid of hurting her.
    Wrestling is a very violent sport at this level, and when the first girl gets injured there will be law suites all over the place.
  • Nuala a... earl 2011/02/18 16:40:57
    Nuala a.k.a BlueRaven
    +1
    i get that too, but thats a stereotypical thing, thinking the boy will hurt the girl cuz she don't have a lot of strength. Some girls don't have a lot of strength but that girl is in wrestling and thats what they do, wrestle, be rough.
  • earl Nuala a... 2011/02/18 16:53:58
    earl
    It has always been a very controversial subject. I wrestled through college, and had three sons who wrestled.I don't think it is sexist, I do think that there is dangerous, especially when you get to this level of competition.
    Had I been matched up with a girl at that age, I would have wrestled her, and viewed her as a competitor.

Do you think that it would be fair to have my 6'2" 225lbs. son be on the girls soccer team, or swim against a girls team?
    There are different physical make up's that don't allow for a level playing field.

I think women s sports are fantastic. I'm a huge fan of D-1 fast pitch.
    I don't think many men (even pro's) could hit off the pitchers at this level.

It has nothing to do with thinking girls are weak. It is a even competition issue in my mind.
  • mindfre... earl 2011/02/18 17:48:24
    mindfreakloyal1
    Girls can pose an even threat. Trust me.
  • earl mindfre... 2011/02/18 20:50:02
    earl
    No doubt, but your not allowed to punch nuts of twist tits.
  • mindfre... earl 2011/02/18 17:47:27
    mindfreakloyal1
    So you don't think that a girl would be able to take on a guy?
  • earl mindfre... 2011/02/18 21:01:59
    earl
    Sure, but the risk's at this level create a greater chance of sever injury. When you train to get to the level that is requred to get to a state tournement, you body bmi body mass index
    is very low. Males will develop more muscle to pound by nature. This can a dangoures senerio.
    Not to mention the adrenaline and testosterone differances.

Girls wrestiling at this level in the lighter weights would stand a better chance of competing successfully.
  • mindfre... Nuala a... 2011/02/18 17:46:56
    mindfreakloyal1
    Or just simply getting beat by a girl. Gotta admit that'd be pretty embarassing for a guy. lol
  • earl mindfre... 2011/02/18 21:03:15
    earl
    That would be a ego crusher for a young man. They have enough crap to deal with at that age. Why stress them more.
  • Raymie 2011/02/18 16:23:08
    Raymie
    +1
    yes, with other women...not men...what if he did wrestle her...slammed her...women are not built the same way and there fore do not move the same either...he made the right choice...if he did hurt her what kind of uproar would there be instead of this question..?
  • mindfre... Raymie 2011/02/18 17:49:37
    mindfreakloyal1
    Why is it "What if he hurt her?"? Huh? What if SHE kicked HIS ass?
  • Raymie mindfre... 2011/02/18 18:08:28
    Raymie
    It would be funny but not likely...since NO... woman has every won a war...it is in the blood of men...to fight and kill...and your slamming him for standing by his convictions...should you be slammed for yours...no...there your convictions...we all stand for something and the right to stand should not be met with rigorous and callous words at the expense of the individual...but what should you expect from a facist...online trying to clown someone for standing up for their belief.

Like the slam...this has be brought to you by Raymie...the man...liberal facists love to hate...please feel free to learn from the experience...a fool is proven by opening their mouth.
  • Dy Raymie 2011/02/21 08:46:30
    Dy
    hahhaha you know that it was that it was eowyn who killed the wraith right? and a nazul u no from LOR? hahaha funnies I was just saying and umm ya so hmmmmmm *walks away humming*
  • Dy Dy 2011/02/21 08:47:11
    Dy
    i didnt say she won the war imma just saying she did somthin that was perty impressive thats all
  • Raymie Dy 2011/02/27 23:07:53
    Raymie
    Except these are make believe characters...the only impressive thing this girl did was try to bring politics to the fighting arena...fighting between men and women should be banned in sports...that is how lawsuits start and how sports are butchered...not sure where this conversation started though...I think you may have been talking to someone else and replied to mine.
  • Dy Raymie 2011/03/01 02:35:26
    Dy
    hahaha sry! *giggles insanely*
  • Roy George 2011/02/18 16:18:01
    Roy George
    He should of ground her face in the mat. Next thing you'll see male cheerleaders!
  • Nuala a... Roy George 2011/02/18 16:23:32
    Nuala a.k.a BlueRaven
    +6
    there are male cheerleaders
  • Roy George Nuala a... 2011/02/21 12:35:59
    Roy George
    Get your dictionary out and look up S-A-R-C-A-S-M!
  • Nuala a... Roy George 2011/02/21 21:57:12
    Nuala a.k.a BlueRaven
    umm N-O
  • rugrat1411 Roy George 2011/02/18 16:35:21
    rugrat1411
    +2
    Where have you been that you didn't know there are male cheerleaders, I'm assuming this is a joke?
  • mindfre... Roy George 2011/02/18 17:50:42
    mindfreakloyal1
    +1
    Sexist bastard
  • Liza Jane 2011/02/18 16:03:28
    Liza Jane
    +3
    I meant to pick "No". It's a shame that his silly religious beliefs held him back from possibly achieving something that could help him get into college and have a good life.

Apparently his dad is the pastor from Footloose.
  • Raymie Liza Jane 2011/02/18 16:25:28
    Raymie
    +2
    he will have a good life any way...choosing to not be aggressive toward a woman...you being a woman should understand...that is win-win in the long run.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2011/02/18 15:51:12 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +2
    "Joel Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore, says he gave up his chance of becoming state champion because of his religious beliefs."

joel northrup home-schooled sophomore chance champion religious beliefs

...damn mormon.
  • Roy George lurx: t... 2011/02/18 16:20:14 (edited)
    Roy George
    +1
    Where did you get my cousin Barack O'George's picture at?
  • Ketielynn 2011/02/18 15:47:31
    Ketielynn
    Of course not..he explained his reasoning and it is his choice..just as it is her choice to wrestle.
  • Poetic Ramblings 2011/02/18 15:46:51
    Poetic Ramblings
    +2
    Well, somewhat. Religion does tend to be sexist.
    But it's his own personal decision, and he didn't make a big deal out of it. He didn't through a fit overhow he wouldn't hit a girl, he just calmly refused. It's a personal decision.
  • earl Poetic ... 2011/02/18 16:29:55
    earl
    +2
    Could be that he was raised to respect women?
  • Poetic ... earl 2011/02/18 17:27:43
    Poetic Ramblings
    It says, "because of his religious beliefs"

2014/10/26 06:17:43