Teen Marijuana Use on the Rise: Dangerous Trend or Not a Big Deal?

Bad news for parents today. Teen marijuana use is on the rise, with nearly 1 in 10 smoking weed at least 20 or more times a month (up from 5 percent in 2008), according to a new survey, The Associated Press reports.

According to the report by The Partnership at Drugfree.org, released Wednesday, use of "hard" drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine has stabilized in recent years, and abuse of prescription meds may be slowing down among high school kids. But past-month usage of marijuana grew from 19 percent in 2008 to 27 percent last year.

“Parents are talking about cocaine and heroin, things that scare them," Partnership President Steve Pasierb told the AP. "Parents are not talking about prescription drugs and marijuana. They can't wink and nod. They need to be stressing the message that this behavior is unhealthy."

Another scary stat: Teens who smoked pot 20 times or more a month were almost twice as likely as kids who used marijuana less frequently to use ecstasy, cocaine or crack. Do you think teen pot-smokers are headed in a dangerous direction?

• Sterling 2012/05/03 19:46:22 (edited)
    Not a Big Deal
    Sterling
    +25
    I would honestly rather have kids doing weed than drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco.

Sure I would prefer they didn't do all of these things but when you look at the alternatives kids that want to get high really bad probably will, and if it's not marijuana it will probably be something dangerous. Whether that means drinking hand sanitizer, sniffing glue or markers, or choking themselves, it's probably worse than marijuana.

Also marijuana is less addictive then drugs like nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine, and it doesn't typically result in the irresponsibility that alcohol does. So it really does seem like the lesser of all evils in this case.

• Lerro D... Sam DeP... 2012/05/04 15:58:11
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Yeah, that kind of tells us what we can expect from ole Chelsea.
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/05/04 15:48:22
    Dangerous Trend
    SOUL4REAL
    +2
    A drug is a drug! I don't care what type of drug it is! Marijuana kills brain cells,you become forgetful and you don't remember any damn thing! Why not go through life drug "FREE"? You will thank yourself in the end!
  • Mike Mc... SOUL4REAL 2012/05/05 05:20:40
    Mike McCullough
    +1
    Thank you. Say it loud, Say it often
  • Naked 2012/05/04 15:44:50
    Not a Big Deal
    Naked
    they aren't going to get alcohol poisoning smoking weed.
  • SOUL4REAL Naked 2012/05/05 15:19:10
    SOUL4REAL
    NO,they will become brain dead meaning can't think or remember anything! Marijuana kills brain cells!
  • Naked SOUL4REAL 2012/05/06 21:53:44
    Naked
    no it doesn't actually. Its your basic tale of propaganda in the media. That theory was actually based on a scientific study where they basically suffocated monkeys with cannabis smoke through gas-masks. They gave them no oxygen. The brain shuts down (brain damage/ dead cells) without oxygen. The monkeys eventually died from the study. It didn't matter what kind of smoke they we're using, the lack of oxygen would have still killed them. They released the findings stating that the cannabis had in fact caused the damage, but years later was found to be untrue. They have yet to publicize the new findings the way they released the old ones. There are however several documentaries explaining the truth. But you don't have to believe me, you can look it up for yourself.
  • SOUL4REAL Naked 2012/05/06 22:16:50
    SOUL4REAL
    This is your research? When smoking anything it low the oxygen supply to the brain and over a period of time you become forgettful and you can't remember sh*t. I'm not talking about research,I seen it happened to family members! People are so deceptive with their lies about things they want to legalize, so they will lie, about everything give you a little truth,sometime you have to use common sense! Can't you see they will experiment on you, if your not knowledgable? Thanks for sharing!
  • Naked SOUL4REAL 2012/05/06 22:55:21
    Naked
    No not my research, it was a flawed scientific study done on monkeys in the 50s and 60s. However, realistically people should be able to decide how/ if they harm their body. Smoking (marijuana or tobacco) is no different then excessive eating. Both will (eventually) kill you.Yet eating is legal.
  • SOUL4REAL Naked 2012/05/07 01:35:22
    SOUL4REAL
    You are right,people do have the right to harm their bodies. Those of them who do, they don't love theirselve because something you love you will not harm it! Love doesn't hurt,to each it's own!
  • Naked SOUL4REAL 2012/05/07 03:48:20
    Naked
    I understand your opinion, but not everyone shares it. Obviously alcohol is legal, and so are ciggarettes. So if you base the non-legalization of marijuana on it "being harmful" then there really isn't an argument.
  • SOUL4REAL Naked 2012/05/07 04:32:06
    SOUL4REAL
    The reason why alcohol and cigarettes are legal,I believe both kill you quicker and they make more money with the both of them.Everyone doesn't want to smoke marijuana so there is not that much money to be make.Anything that harm the body shouldn't be legalized!
  • Naked SOUL4REAL 2012/05/07 11:25:11 (edited)
    Naked
    I completely disagree. Cannabis has been proven to not only stop cancerous tumors from growing, but also reducing them greatly in size among a host of other things. Even if not smoked it has pretty much endless uses as you can see here: proven cancerous tumors growing reducing greatly host smoked pretty endless

The same cannot be said for tobacco and alcohol.
    Everyone doesn't want to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol but they are still legal and still make millions upon millions in tax revenue a year. Not to mention marijuana being legalized would not only bring in revenue but save us a crap load of money that is being wasted in the "war on drugs".
  • SOUL4REAL Naked 2012/05/07 14:09:43
    SOUL4REAL
    Who does these researches? "MAN"! They can tell you anything,this is why the world is so f..k up today by listening to man. I don't believe everything in writing or by mouth,I use my "OWN" mind and do what is best for me. Thank you for sharing this infomation but my opinion still stand,I'm not a follower. See,man will take anything that is suppose to be used for medical purposes and use it for recreation use and then will try and make money off of it. Don't you know there isn't no war on drugs because the government is the one who is bring the drugs in this country.Why do you think Bush and Bin Lauin were at war with one another?? They were trading drugs for weapons,something happened and there was deception in that too.You are being decieved to think legalizing marijuana will make it better and stop the war on drugs, wrong answer! The government knows that it won't be better this is why it's not legalized,more crimes and murders. "DRUGS TIES THE MIND UP"!
  • Naked SOUL4REAL 2012/05/07 22:39:25 (edited)
    Naked
    No I'm not being deceived. I use my own mind as well, and I simply do not share your colorful opinion.
  • SOUL4REAL Naked 2012/05/07 22:48:40
    SOUL4REAL
    No,problem,we are two adults who have different opinions. Have a good day.
    Dangerous Trend
    kids must know who they are before they start to introduce alternate realities into their perceptions. only then in a well grounded mind will you have the sight to see foolishness from fact
  • Petrifiedhippy 2012/05/04 15:22:48
    Not a Big Deal
    Petrifiedhippy
    +1
    if the percentage of "kids" are using marijuana it is a percentage NOT DRINKING ALCOHOL

peace love marijuana
  • Professor Wizard 2012/05/04 15:18:43
    Not a Big Deal
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    From My generation - the majority of us tried the stuff... it caused way less problems that Alcohol has! (unless you got caught by the police with it!)

Everything teens do "bad" is on the rise... Could it be because the parents are overloaded trying to eek a living in our new sub-wages society - so the kids are left to fend for themselves?
  • sweet silver 2012/05/04 15:10:05
    Dangerous Trend
    sweet silver
    +1
    Using marijuana at a young age can result in structural and functional deficits of the brain. This could cause you to develop weakened verbal and communication skills, lowered learning capabilities and a shortened attention span.

LIKE THERE AREN'T ENOUGH STUPID PEOPLE IN THE WORLD -.-
    STUPID POEPLE
  • alex sweet s... 2012/05/04 17:16:53
    alex
    +1
    and can you give me a link that has proof of this?
  • sweet s... alex 2012/05/05 10:00:45
  • Q 2012/05/04 15:05:49
    Not a Big Deal
    Q
    +3
    Truthfully teens who smoke it too much could be stunting their mental and emotional development. But with that being said compared to alcohol abuse and other hard drugs if used in moderation its relatively safe. I'd rather they smoke a little pot then the pot substitutes that are sending all too many to the emergency rooms the past few years.
  • Petrifi... Q 2012/05/04 15:24:42
    Petrifiedhippy
    +1
    *Q* I agree the substitutes are just horrible ~ I know we all agree there is no substitute
  • alex Q 2012/05/04 17:18:29
    alex
    +1
    very true! they keep making these fake pot subs that are FAR more worse than the real thing! they keep outlawing the various types of the fake stuff, but if they would just legalize the real thing, we wouldn't be having this issue!
  • Q alex 2012/05/04 18:48:12
    Q
    +1
    From what I've heard its become a serious problem within the military(Synthetic pot.)
  • RoryCanadia 2012/05/04 14:55:08
    Dangerous Trend
    RoryCanadia
    +1
    Possibly dangerous. I'll put it that way. It's been shown in some studies that marijuanna use by people (teens) whose brains are not fully developed can have negative side effects (I'm a regular smoker but didn't start until about age 19).

On the other hand, have you been a teenager lately. I'm surprised more of them aren't scouring the earth for effective stress relievers. Between helicopter parents, machine guns in highschools, the grimmer and grimmer possiblilities of a future as good as your parents past........I'm surprised it's marijuanna we're talking about and not heroin.
  • Blackberry 2012/05/04 14:46:33
    Not a Big Deal
    Blackberry
    +1
    Who cares. I smoked pot, and even smoked it with my mother once. I turned out great.
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/04 14:37:14
    Dangerous Trend
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    those without children, or those without a sense of moral responsibility to young folks, will find this news to be no big deal ... I'm neither ... I'm both a dad and an adult ... as far as I'm concerned, this is dreadful news
  • Odinsown 2012/05/04 14:28:04
    Not a Big Deal
    Odinsown
    +2
    Kids have been smoking pot for years, it is not going to go away. The best thing to do is to teach your kid about safety, dont drive under the influence, don't buy pre-rolled joints(its a hitch when some one laces them with pcp), etc.
  • clyde 2012/05/04 14:16:11 (edited)
    Not a Big Deal
    clyde
    +2
    Numbers had to be higher during the 70's. Everyone was packing a little. Rather see this than alcohol or cigarette use. Not a gateway drug. Helped to form the genius of the last two democrat presidents...oh wait, one of them didn't inhale.
  • boneman1 2012/05/04 14:07:07
    Dangerous Trend
    boneman1
    +1
    There's a huge difference between the pot that was being smoked in the 60's/70's and the pot that's out there today. The pot that's out there now is much stronger and recent studies have shown at least short term affects on memory and learning. There's even some research that's indicating long term use can lead to addiction, anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia.

Personally I'm for legalization of pot, but I think it needs to be controlled just like alcohol. There are always going to be substance abusers, but I think we need to do what we can to make sure it doesn't happen to our teens.
  • c.ruth93 2012/05/04 13:39:01
    Not a Big Deal
    c.ruth93
    +1
    It's not a big deal for you, but try to talking to the people in Mexico. Los Zetas slaughter for the cartel on a daily basis. My criminal justice teacher gets pictures from a friend in the DEA, they dismember people, burn them, hang them (sometimes naked), hell they'll even chop your head off with a chainsaw. We are the people that fund these types of activities. If you want to smoke go ahead, but you're killing people by doing so.
  • Vieuphoria 2012/05/04 13:36:37
    Not a Big Deal
    Vieuphoria
    I willing to bet that all the people who voted 'Dangerous Trend' have never smoked it and/or are totally ignorant to it.
  • rhstarr 2012/05/04 13:21:00
    Not a Big Deal
    rhstarr
    I would rather teens smoke pot, over teen drinking and driving any day.
  • clyde rhstarr 2012/05/04 14:19:12
    clyde
    +1
    Snack food industry agrees with you.
  • rhstarr clyde 2012/05/04 16:04:33
    rhstarr
    I'm sure they would.
  • kasey17 2012/05/04 13:11:05
    Not a Big Deal
    kasey17
    +1
    I think the people that think this is a big deal need to get off their ass and smoke one themselves and see if it doesn't do them so sort of good.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/04 12:51:29
    Dangerous Trend
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    Most of the hard core pot heads and partiers (I was one of them for years) that I grew up with have been very unsuccessful in life. One of them was killed because of a drug deal. Most have serious social issues.

Time to deal with reality instead of trying to escape from it daily.
  • Elizabe... Torchma... 2012/05/04 14:02:34
    Elizabeth Dupree
    It's nice to hear another former smoker say no this hurts people. Regardless of what so many other people seem to think . I agree with you 100%
  • Richard Pearson 2012/05/04 12:39:59
    Dangerous Trend
    Richard Pearson
    Pot should be illegal and incur huge criminal penalties.
    Richard

2014/09/01 19:08:40