Teen Marijuana Use on the Rise: Dangerous Trend or Not a Big Deal?

Bad news for parents today. Teen marijuana use is on the rise, with nearly 1 in 10 smoking weed at least 20 or more times a month (up from 5 percent in 2008), according to a new survey, The Associated Press reports.

According to the report by The Partnership at Drugfree.org, released Wednesday, use of "hard" drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine has stabilized in recent years, and abuse of prescription meds may be slowing down among high school kids. But past-month usage of marijuana grew from 19 percent in 2008 to 27 percent last year.

“Parents are talking about cocaine and heroin, things that scare them," Partnership President Steve Pasierb told the AP. "Parents are not talking about prescription drugs and marijuana. They can't wink and nod. They need to be stressing the message that this behavior is unhealthy."

Another scary stat: Teens who smoked pot 20 times or more a month were almost twice as likely as kids who used marijuana less frequently to use ecstasy, cocaine or crack. Do you think teen pot-smokers are headed in a dangerous direction?

• Sterling 2012/05/03 19:46:22 (edited)
    Not a Big Deal
    Sterling
    +25
    I would honestly rather have kids doing weed than drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco.

Sure I would prefer they didn't do all of these things but when you look at the alternatives kids that want to get high really bad probably will, and if it's not marijuana it will probably be something dangerous. Whether that means drinking hand sanitizer, sniffing glue or markers, or choking themselves, it's probably worse than marijuana.

Also marijuana is less addictive then drugs like nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine, and it doesn't typically result in the irresponsibility that alcohol does. So it really does seem like the lesser of all evils in this case.

• Marek 2012/10/21 21:41:35
    Dangerous Trend
    Marek
    Libturds are promotong weed smoking in the campaign to addict young people to the point that they will have the same problems that tobacco users have. Then they will promptly blame republicans and propose massive tax increase ostensibly to curb the use of weed just like they did with tobacco products.
  • me 2012/10/21 21:41:34
    Dangerous Trend
    me
    Gee, how 'bout we tell them not to get high AT ALL? Oh, cuz we are a nation of wienie parents.
  • lolitalovely 2012/06/20 05:57:14
    Not a Big Deal
    lolitalovely
    In the 60s and 70s it was cocaine and later meth. Now, it's weed. It's like fashion. My history teacher would've said that something in current events is probably influencing it. I couldn't begin to figure out what. It could be gay rights, abortion, or anything in politics. I'm not even sure if I think that it isn't just a shift in preferred drugs.
  • Matthew M 2012/06/13 16:59:00 (edited)
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/06/04 04:06:59
    Not a Big Deal
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    http://norml.org/marijuana/pe...

Addictive personalities/use aside, just as alcohol has a minimum age for purchase and usage so should pot.

That being said, the addictive types, well of course they have more contact with the drug dealers who sell other stuff too and of course they're more likely to try other drugs, in the first place.

But we can't let what addicts do paint the entire picture for the rest of the nation, else we'd still have alcohol prohibition!

There's evidence to support that a keener societal focus on education and informed decisions brings about not just legalization of pot but an overall decrease in more careless drug abuse (but addicts will continue being addicts).

I don't think it's any mistake that the very same country that led the trend in criminalizing pot nationally and on the world stage is the very same country that also has record prescription drug abuse and statistics like the U.S. consumes about 80% of the world's Ritalan, and so forth and so on. And we had some of the worst drug war propaganda and related disinformation. Stuff like that goes hand in hand...abuse and disinformation. Yup.
  • JayBlazeNY 2012/06/02 07:42:48
    Not a Big Deal
    JayBlazeNY
    +1
    It's just pot, People!!! Now where the hell is my bong? :D
  • nolaphile 2012/05/28 18:56:42
    Not a Big Deal
    nolaphile
    And if it were available legally, the tax revenue would have California out of debt in about 6 months, lol
    Not a Big Deal
    +1
    Sodahead changed my check mark again.
  • Pureblood_ 2012/05/11 01:20:24
  • AshtonInTheWake 2012/05/10 12:53:10
    Dangerous Trend
    AshtonInTheWake
    Yeah... I'll be realistic here, and put my hatred of Mary J in Hell for the moment... When you smoke A LOT of pot, you tend to lean towards harder stuff. When you smoke A LOT of it. Not just once a month. People who only occasionally smoke it aren't really as likely to do hard drugs
  • Hitori ... AshtonI... 2012/05/10 22:03:30
    Hitori Hamangi
    +1
    I disagree b/c its what you are wanting. I kno plenty about weed and i want to say is if you as in YOUR SELF decides to do something else that's on you. Don't blame weed for it. It's freedom of will and smarts.

((Fyi, No i am not starting fights, I am discussing this. Thanx))

Hitori ~<3
  • AshtonI... Hitori ... 2012/05/14 11:59:37
    AshtonInTheWake
    It's the trend that I see at my schools, and I know that while my schools aren't the rest of the world, it's what I see: Major potsmokers, ever day, just getting high for the sake of getting high, they tend to lean towards harder drugs. They tend to make that choice :P It's not a rule, just the trend. What do you mean by what I want though? I see what I see :/
  • Hitori ... AshtonI... 2012/05/15 05:34:57
    Hitori Hamangi
    Ok I see, What I meant was I want to see weed used positively, I would rather have it used right like Red Cards. Red Card is so you can use it for meds tho. The Red Card Limited to MJ meds, I do think weed is a med b.c it works for me in this way. I do see a problem with weed in school to young teens. However I also think that there should be a limit to age for sure. I say this mostly because of the brain growth. but lungs... ((Kindof the lungs because now you can eat and drink it too.)) Still tho there should be an age limit; just like alcohol; even tho its worse for your brain and health; weed still affects your brain. With now and days we can use bunches of more education; in a sense education will also help people not become homeless. I think people should slow down a little bit and get a proper education. However it is meds to other ppl too. All I ask of you is to please keep that thought in mind.

Hitori~<3
  • AshtonI... Hitori ... 2012/05/16 14:48:11 (edited)
    AshtonInTheWake
    +1
    Oh yeah, I agree with it being used medically :o That's fine with me (x Just... Not as a commodity. That's just wrong to me, a misuse of it. Everything in nature has a legitimate use, the crack leaf, before refined, was used by the ancient Incans (or Aztecs, can't remember) as an energizer, something that workers chewed for energy when out in the fields. A legit usage. I totally agree with what your saying, and I'd advocate it, if it was used like that... However, for most people it's not \= But it has legitimate uses; it's not inherently bad, it's like a knife: in the hands of the right people it can save a life, and in the hands of the wrong people can kill, you know?
  • Striker Hearthman 2012/05/09 14:20:44
    Not a Big Deal
    Striker Hearthman
    +1
    People Being Free Minded Is Awesome...
  • Lhopital 2012/05/09 11:00:36
    Dangerous Trend
    Lhopital
    Yes... A dangerous trend... I predict Frito-Lay stocks on the rise.

Along with a sharp increase of hacky-sack tournaments all over the place... The horror. THE HORROR!!!
  • Hitori ... Lhopital 2012/05/10 22:23:08
    Hitori Hamangi
    I disagree your making weed seem bad. But for many it is a pure Medical Marcile. Like many meds, not all meds works for one individual. This is y we have many. So weed is a pure natural drug that works for many but keep in mind not all. Some individuals are in fact allergic to it. However weed really works for troughs who need it! And TRULY Need it. It seems that everyone is planing use it but not for meds, so ya i see danger!!! but if you have limits like the Red Cards now and days and use it for meds you in a way would still know where did it come from... so and so has a card... So then stay away from that person.

Hitori ~<3
  • Lhopital Hitori ... 2012/05/11 02:49:25
    Lhopital
    I was actually making light of the whole "Dangerous Trend" garbage. I honestly think weed is about as dangerous as... eating Frito-Lay chips and playing hacky-sack.

Also... I really don't care about the medical benefits and so on and so forth. I mean, they're great and all that, but that's not why I think drugs should be legal. What bothers me about making drugs illegal is that the government is basically telling you what you can consume 'for your own good'.

I've got to tell you, I already had parents. They looked out for me for my best interest. Now I'm an adult and some idiot in government has taken it upon him/her-self to tell me what I should and shouldn't consume. They're trying to be my parents. Essentially taken to the most logical extent almost everything in this world can kill you if over-consumed. Aspirin is legal but there's warnings all over the bottle that if you take to many you'll probably kill yourself. Same with Flintstones vitamins. It's just stupid. Drugs should be our choice, not the government's.

And yes... I think all drugs should be legal. Not just weed.
  • taz 2012/05/08 12:01:59
    Not a Big Deal
    taz
    +1
    I think if the would make it legal it would benefit alot of people in many ways...The cost would come down and it coud be more controlled. The govenment could have their cut in taxes and they will be happy. Their are many who have medical problems who are in need of relief. I don't smoke but did as a teenager so I understand the effects and still believe it is no big deal as long as people use common sense on when to smoke..
  • Anna E 2012/05/06 23:29:57
    Not a Big Deal
    Anna E
    At least not a biggie if a filter (bong) is used and it's kept to a moderate level. Lungs don't like particles and smoke of any kind is particulate. And moderation in all things is generally a good idea.
  • imiejdoggydog 2012/05/06 21:45:28
    Dangerous Trend
    imiejdoggydog
    leads to sex abuse...
  • Hitori ... imiejdo... 2012/05/10 22:29:07
    Hitori Hamangi
    Only if you make it that way. We all have the power to change it for good. But you all seem scared of it, and that is what causes probloms like this. Perscription meds are far more hurt ful than weed. When you watch a comercial and its some persciption drug; the afects are....................... soooooooooo many that it hurts more than helps. Weed can also be used as edibles. You dont have to just smoke it.

I also want to add if the peroson is abusive, they just are abusive. Plus alcohol seems to be more of an abusive "drug" then many other type of meds.

Hitori ~<3
  • Doreen imiejdo... 2012/06/04 04:28:53
    Doreen
    NO!!! DO NOT give those who commit any type of abuse an out because that is exactly what you are doing. I will say that alcohol makes people more violent than usual but it is not the alcohols fault it is the PERSONS fault. Alcohol has a more detrimental effect on people than marijuana does but it does not matter what they are on it is the persons fault ONLY. Do not allow the person to weasel their way out of a crime because the drug made them do it. Make each person responsible for their own actions.
  • imiejdo... Doreen 2012/06/05 01:07:15
    imiejdoggydog
    no.....noooo....nope
    it leads to violent! as i know
  • Ron 2012/05/06 16:07:26
    Not a Big Deal
    Ron
    +1
    I would be concerned if pot was half as dangerous as some people make it out to be, but the only real concern that I have is that it is illegal which could ruin a kids life if they were to be arrested for it. If it were decriminalized it would be the best choice for those kids who seek some kind of high with little long term effect. Despite what some studies say (which are all done with distinct biases) it has little to no potential health risks and no negative real side effects. Also, in my opinion, only people with addictive personalities in the first place have any chance of becoming addicted to it. Decriminalizing it would also remove the paranoia that some experience since that paranoia is fear of being caught, somthing I find extremely humorous.
  • stevmackey 2012/05/06 04:57:33
    Dangerous Trend
    stevmackey
    +2
    Marijuana is a pathway to bigger drugs.
  • Hitori ... stevmackey 2012/05/10 22:31:47
    Hitori Hamangi
    Only if you make weed a pathway drug. B/c other drugs are around you can change that by turning on them and not real working meds.
    Hitori ~<3
  • sebastianbeach8@yahoo.ca 2012/05/06 03:45:34
    Not a Big Deal
    sebastianbeach8@yahoo.ca
    Its really not that bad if your in a atmosphere that's safe and with people you trust and you know what your doing but it rising with irresponsibles that ruin it for us cause they give us a bad name
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/05/06 03:37:11
    Dangerous Trend
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
  • Username? What's that? 2012/05/05 23:08:02
    Dangerous Trend
    Username? What's that?
  • Hitori ... Usernam... 2012/05/10 22:38:12
    Hitori Hamangi
    Weed is a chemical ONLY IF YOU MAKE IT THAT WAY. There are TONS of INDIVIDUALS who USE it for GOOD and NEED IT FOR MEDS too. Y take it away if it works?

***REMEMBER IF YOU MAKE IT EVIL THEN IT IS EVIL TO YOU. IF YOU USE IF FOR GOOD LIKE MEDS THEN IT IS GOOD FOR MEDS.***

Hitori~<3
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/05/05 18:27:12
  • Stoner Rukasak... 2012/05/05 23:20:50
    Stoner
    thats a funny post
  • Lydecho Rain (Лидия) 2012/05/05 15:31:09
    Not a Big Deal
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    I don't think it's so bad.
  • Yankee Traveler 2012/05/05 13:15:29
    Not a Big Deal
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    I know it's illegal for now, but I would much rather see people smoking pot than drinking alcohol. I am not condoning pot smoking, however if there is a need for some form of buzz, then pot in my opinion is the lesser of the two evils.
  • Mike McCullough 2012/05/05 04:56:11
    Dangerous Trend
    Mike McCullough
    +1
    It's all part of the dumbing down of America and the world. Although the long term effects of regular marijuana can be reversed and the brain returned to normal , if it's use is totally discontinued, the information and opportunities that are lost because of the brains dis function while it is being used are disproportionally adverse to its use. Our brain doesn't completely finish growing or forming until about age 26, so to impair it during youth and miss out the opportunities that are available while you are in a marijuana fog is just plain stupid and if we legalize marijuana, to me, that is sending the message that at some point, probably age 21 , we are saying it is OK to use. And just like alcohol, its use can lead to serious health problems, and even death and it IS addictive. despite what it says in "High Times" (:- THC, the active ingredient in marijuana has an affinity to fatty tissue and the human brain is almost totally made up of fatty tissue so it absorbs more THC than any other part of the body and it has a residual effect where in even the smoking of one joint can remain affecting the brain for 36 hours up to 3 days and each use within that time adds to the length of time it takes for it to leave the body and lastly the brain. This is all researched a...
    It's all part of the dumbing down of America and the world. Although the long term effects of regular marijuana can be reversed and the brain returned to normal , if it's use is totally discontinued, the information and opportunities that are lost because of the brains dis function while it is being used are disproportionally adverse to its use. Our brain doesn't completely finish growing or forming until about age 26, so to impair it during youth and miss out the opportunities that are available while you are in a marijuana fog is just plain stupid and if we legalize marijuana, to me, that is sending the message that at some point, probably age 21 , we are saying it is OK to use. And just like alcohol, its use can lead to serious health problems, and even death and it IS addictive. despite what it says in "High Times" (:- Your Brain on Drugs THC, the active ingredient in marijuana has an affinity to fatty tissue and the human brain is almost totally made up of fatty tissue so it absorbs more THC than any other part of the body and it has a residual effect where in even the smoking of one joint can remain affecting the brain for 36 hours up to 3 days and each use within that time adds to the length of time it takes for it to leave the body and lastly the brain. This is all researched and documented . Liberal America hopes we use this and become less responsible and STUPID so that we will willingly , without objection or even noticing, accept their ideas of totalitarianism and one world socialism. Sorry for the lengthy post but the use of all illicit, and many prescription drug is just plain irresponsible.
  • HipJipC Mike Mc... 2012/05/05 09:00:28 (edited)
    HipJipC
    "... its use can lead to serious health problems, and even death and it IS addictive"

Deaths associated to cannabis overdose are exceptionally rare. Fatalities resulting from cannabis overdose are said to most often occur after intravenous injection of hashish oil.[14]
    Given the limitations of the research, scientists STILL DEBATE the possibility of cannabis dependence; the potential of cannabis as a "gateway drug"; its effects on intelligence and memory; its effect on the lungs; and the relationship, if any, of cannabis use to mental disorders[23] such as schizophrenia,[24] psychosis,[25] Depersonalization disorder[26] and depression.[27]
    (edit: wikipedia source added)
  • Stoner HipJipC 2012/05/05 22:30:18
    Stoner
    +1
    read my post above
  • Stoner Mike Mc... 2012/05/05 22:10:29
    Stoner
    +1
    Really ...Think they dont want to have it to get smarter?
    http://budfacts.com/243/new-s...
  • HipJipC Stoner 2012/05/09 22:37:48
    HipJipC
    +1
    Excellent!

2014/10/23 08:19:30